France - A Day A The Beach

Holiday Romance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

//Minseok//

I wake up feeling refreshed. I always find that a night in a tent is so good for you - I tend to find it really brings me back to nature.
Wait, that's not something a 17 year old guy should be saying. Especially a straight one at that.
Let me clarify.
I just have a thing for nature. I think it's beautiful, even if there's not really any luscious green grass here. More hard dusty ground, much to my displeasure. And my new friend Jongdae's, as well, seeing as he fell on it yesterday.
The thought of it brings a small smile to my lips. I can't quite believe I made a friend on holiday. I've never done it before, it's always been others approaching me. Usually because of the way I look.
I remember my first days at high school. Everyone was fascinated by the asian kid who spoke perfect english. So annoying.
But who would have thought I'd meet another boy in exactly the same position?! I certainly didn't. But I'm glad I approached him. 
Speaking of Jongdae, I can hear him outside. Checking the time on my phone, I groan quietly. It's only 7am. Why is he here? I mean, he's a nice guy and all but does he have to come this early?
"Minnie!" He calls, and I hear the noise of his feet against the tarpaulin floor. "Minnie, where are you?" I listen to him walking around the tent, staying deadly silent. A zip is ripped open and I hear my dad screech. 
"!" Jongdae yells. "I'm so sorry, Mr Kim... So sorry, oh my god, I'm so sorry." I try to stifle my giggles but can't contain them when I hear my father sigh. 
"It's alright, Jongdae. Minseok is over there." He mutters. Jongdae mumbles many apologies before coming towards my compartment. I pull the duvet over my head in a pathetic effort to hide from him. 
"Minnie~" He calls again. I hear my compartment being ped and Jongdae coos. "Aww, look at my little Minnie." He says. I feel the bed dip and curl up tighter under the duvet.
"Go away, Jongdae. It's too early." I groan. He laughs loudly, and I wince. Too early for that kind of noise. 
"It's never too early on holiday." I snort in response. "By the way, do you mind me coming in your tent like this? We only met yesterday... It's not weird, is it? , it's really weird. I'm sorry, I'll leave." Jongdae apologises for the umpteenth time this morning, and I feel him start to get up. 
Lightning quick, I shoot an arm out from under the duvet and grab hold of any bit of Jongdae I can find. I hear him yelp in surprise, and peek out from under the duvet. 
"Aw, there's my little MinMin." Jongdae teases. I sit up, rubbing my eyes roughly with my free hand. 
"Yah, you shut up." I try to threaten, but it comes out in a little raspy whisper. Jongdae laughs and ruffles my hair. "I'm coming to your tent tomorrow to see you sleeping." I say, eyes fluttering shut.
Jongdae snickers. "You'll have to be awake first then." I shake my head.
"I should be asleep right now." I yawn. 
"Why?" Jongdae raises an eyebrow. "It's already 1pm." My eyes bolt open.
"What?!" 
"Timezones, Minnie. France is six hours ahead of America." Jongdae tells me, chuckling. 
"Jesus. I need to change the time on my phone." Jongdae nods. "Hey, how come you're not jetlagged?" I ask in surprise.
"England is only one hour behind France so it's not as bad for me." He shrugs.
I nod in understanding. Jongdae blinks at me, and coughs. "Um, your hand?" He gestures to where it's accidentally resting on his thigh from when I grabbed him earlier. I retract it immediately.
", sorry." I blush, embarrassed. "I should probably - um - go get dressed." I say awkwardly. Jongdae nods, and I notice his bright red cheeks. 
"Yeah." He chuckles. "I'll be at my tent when you're done. We're going to the beach!" He cries excitedly and leaps up from my bed. I bounce up and down as the bed shakes and send him a half smile. "Yay." I feign excitement, but as soon as he leaves the tent I flop back into bed and try to catch some more sleep.

Eventually, I drag myself up and get dressed. Jongdae is waiting outside, impatiently tapping his foot. He's wearing swimming shorts and a baggy tshirt and flip flops, and he's carrying a bag which I assume is filled with towels and such. Sunglasses balance on top of his head, and his dark brown hair flops lazily over his forehead. 
I greet him with a bright smile, and he immediately looks happy to see me.
"Minnie!" He calls. "Come on, our parents are already at the beach!" He links his arm in mine and starts dragging me towards the sea. 
Strange, I think to myself. I don't feel uncomfortable linking arms with another guy...
My eyebrows knit together as I ponder the thought. Usually I go stiff and freeze when another guy starts getting touchy with me - I don't like it at all. Not even my dad can really go past the quick hug stage, and even that makes me feel a little awkward. 
I'm jolted from my thoughts when I feel a hand smooth across my forehead. I blink up at Jongdae, who smiles casually at me.
"You're going to get lines in your forehead if you keep creasing your eyebrows like that." He shrugs. "Come on, we're almost there!" 
I let myself be pulled by the eager Jongdae because my mind is strangely blank. I struggle to comprehend the relationship I have with Jongdae. We're friends, but he's acting as if we've known each other for years. 
But because Jongdae seems so happy, I'm willing to let it pass. He drags me down onto the beach and we both kick off our shoes. I wiggle my toes in the sand, marvelling at the feeling and the warmth it holds. Jongdae giggles at me.
"You're so cute, Minnie." He says, and I slap his shoulder gently. 
"Shut up, Dae." I say, rolling my eyes. He only laughs in return and grabs my arm again to pull me down the beach in search of our parents. 
Luckily they're not too hard to find. They've joined their beach tents and umbrellas together, creating a huge shaded space for us all to sit under. The cool box and lunch box has been put to one side, and towels are laid out under the sun for sunbathing. Small chairs have also been set up for when we need some cool down time, and basically, it's just kinda perfect.
"Wow." Jongdae and I breathe at the same time.
"Hey, boys! You're here finally!" Jongdae's mom calls us over and we go and sit next to each other on one of the picnic mats. I notice my father and Jongdae's father having a beer together, and nervously reach out for one. Jongdae notices and does the same, but whereas I get a beer, he gets a teasing slap to the wrist.
"No, Dae, you know the rules." His mom scolds. I raise an eyebrow at him, and he rolls his eyes.
"I'm sixteen in two weeks. I'm not allowed to drink till I'm legal." He explains, scoffing at the logic.
"I'm not legal... In Ameri

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter