Rising Heat

Iridescent Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After what seemed like hours of traveling we were finally off that airplane, the heat was no greatful reminder that we were in Florida now - although my skin should be adapted to heat - thanks to Suki I feel like i'm suffering from early onset menopause. I sighed and pushed my hand through my hair, squinting as I try to see where i'm going “What now?” I muttered to Chanyeol who seemed to be very in his element. 

He peered over to me and let out a laugh “Well, Now we just have to get this boat it's only a little ways from the airport” He slowed his pace to fall in sync with mine - quickly entwining our fingers “This place isn't permanent, It's just somewhere safe whilst I formulate a plan”

“A plan?” I speculate, counting the cracks in the concrete that the cruel sun had created, all the water out of the ground like it had the biggest swirly straw in existence “Don't you know how they killed the wicked witch of the west?” I looked up to Chanyeol, a grin cracking onto my face “They poured water all over her and she melted” I sighed “Shame we don't have the red shoes as I already have a Toto” 

“Back to calling me a dog are we Dorothy” He laughed, a quivering bell like noise escaping his throat “If only it was that simple to get rid of your mother, I'm sure we will think of something…we always do” He muttered, giving my hand a reassuring squeeze. 

A long silence wafted through the both of us as I fermented my thoughts, debating what was best to talk about now and what later. My fingers stumbled over to his arm, momentarily trailing my fingers around the top of his hand. My eyes glued themselves to the floor as I cleared my throat. 

“I'm still not happy about all of this though” I scuffed my shoe on the floor, biting my cheek “Nothing about this is right, we are endangering other people to make ourselves safe - I mean i'm no Queen of morals but I don't think I can deal with anymore deaths on my head”

He stopped the both of us, letting go of the luggage so it fell softly to the floor. He clasped my cheeks in his mellow hands, making genuine eye contact with me - almost like i could feel him de-tangling my worries “Do you really think i’d be irresponsible enough to take us somewhere that isn't defended? This place has magic, you will be able to sense how strong it is when we get closer” I feel my pulse throbbing in my neck as he plants a feather like kiss on my jaw, I then feel something cold around me neck. 

“Chanyeol wh- Oh…” I look down to my chest and see the necklace that I had thrown at him nights before. It still glimmers - dancing in the sunlight as if it was happy to be back around my neck. I clasp the diamond gently between my fingers. Of course he would of kept it, sentimental fool “Thank you” I muttered with a smile.

“It's nothing, It is yours afterall” He picked up all the luggage “Now stop worrying about the world crumbling to dust and lets get going, we are going to miss the boat” I matched his pace as we made our way down to the harbour, the turquoise sea glittered as it batted off the sunlight. The closer we got the louder the gentle whisper of the waves became, they clawed their way to the sand before being dragged back into the mass. As I walked across the wooden docks the slats groaned with age, the pecan boards were worn from the dozens of footsteps that had crossed over them, each chip and crack had a story of their own to tell. 

The boat ahead was just as expected, nothing cruise like - a fishing boat of some sort. The once white paint around the boat was fading along with her name which I could barely make out ‘F.V Marnie’ I always thought it strange people naming things such as boats - but I suppose it creates some sort of connection. 

Chanyeol nodded to the man who was waiting for us, he showed no facial expression - his clothes were just as worn as the ship. He seemed to have a permanent scowl on his sienna tanned face, the only defining asset was the strange necklace he wore around his neck - It seemed to be emitting some sort of aura, I couldn't put my finger on the type of power. I didn't realise that I was absentmindedly pulling a face at this guy whilst gawking at his necklace until Chanyeol yanked my arm as he had done putting on the luggage  “Come” he muttered whilst pulling me onto the boat.

“M’kay” I began to become apprehensive of this gentleman as he too got onto the boat and went up to start the engine “Who is he” 

“He’s a guardsman or protector of the island” Chanyeol patted a space next to him “And yes that necklace around his neck has magic entwined, the magic is a vow he took that prevents him from talking but in turn provides him with unbelievable strength and  oversight of what goes on around the island” Chanyeol shrugs “I guess taking his voice is just so that he can focus on doing his job rather than talking” 

“Seems a bit harsh to me” I cross my arms around my body, watching as he steers the boat out of harbour “I don't think id last very long if I wasn't able to talk” the boat rapidly laps over the waves, lulling the boat in a sickly manner. 

“I know what you mean, I've always been skeptical of the island’s way of doing things” 

“You’ve been here before?” I ask, cynical of his ties to this island and its people “Why didn't you mention this?” 

“I thought it was obvious” He shrugs and points  over to something i can barely make out in the distance “As an heir to a lineage I had to go around the world and meet the other pack leaders, I spent more time here than other places, something about the island intrigued me” 

I felt as if he was withholding something from me, but then again I am known for being paranoid. I attempted to drone out the vulture like squawking of voices in my head by closing my eyes and paying attention to the sound of the boat and the waves slapping against it.

-----

I had no sense of how much time had passed before arriving at the island but Chanyeol’s voice snuck into my ear “Haru, we are here” as he tugged on my sleeve my eyes fluttered open, instantly aware of how many people there were to greet us on the sands. I was unable to untwist the neurotic knot in my stomach as I stepped out of the boat, all eyes seemed to be on me at once as if I had a spotlight on me. One woman in particular was glaring at me amongst the crowd, she wore a lot of jewellery and her clothes were patterned in a way that if you looked too hard your eyes would hurt. She was old - ancient looking even, but somehow the wrinkles on her face alongside her posture and presentation made her almost threatening. 

“You must be Haru” A

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter