Chapter 9

As long as you alive: chaptered

Isaac smiles in contempt when he finally arrive in Korea, the country he was born. Since Baekhyun and Jongdae were asking him to investigate about Chanyeol, he decides to get back. It’ll be more effective for his research when he’s near his subject. Isaac turns around and sees as a car already waiting for him. He scoffs. His father always do everything in excessive gesture.

“Father’s still the same.” Isaac comments to himself as he silently let the worker guide him to the car. It was a 30 minutes journey until he arrives at his family mansion. Isaac can’t help but let out a long sighs. He never feel like he’s belong, even in his own family home. He steps inside and almost rolls his eyes when he meet the last person on earth he wants to meet, Jung Ivan. No, Isaac really rolls his eyes when Ivan stands up and approach him.

“Now, now, now, who we gets here. If it’s not my dear little brother. What makes you come back, Isaac? Use up all your money?” Ivan asks and Isaac school his expression to remain calms.

“…and Ivan is still an .” Isaac thought, looking at his older brother, the model child all parents dream off which is good if not for his severe attitude issue since their father will give everything if Ivan ever demand it.

“Use up all my money? You know that father give me enough allowance to last me until I’m dead, maybe even after that. Are you sure you’re not having any problem here?” Isaac shot back while pointing his head. Ivan glares at him and silently takes his seat at the dining table. Isaac smirk victoriously. He loves reminding his hyung that their father loves them all the same much to Ivan dismay. Besides, his hyung is really bad at arguing with him. Isaac was going to his seat when a cheery voice greets them.

“Hey, is everybody here? Sorry if we’re late.” Irene comes almost skipping happily with a tall man carrying baby following her. Seeing the tall man, Isaac widen his eyes and immediately stand.

“W…Wh…Who..?” Isaac stutters and Irene chuckle.

“Isaac oppa, that’s why you shouldn’t be away for so long. Meet my husband Park Chanyeol and your little niece, Park Nari.” Irene explains. Isaac seems like he can’t hear anything as he step closer to Chanyeol. Chanyeol then bows and greet him.

“Nice to meet you, Isaac hyung…” Chanyeol voices trail off as he’s not sure what to address Isaac but then Isaac turns around and grab Ivan by his collar. Isaac drags Ivan out of the dining hall and pin him to the wall.

“Is this your work?” Isaac asks serious but Ivan maintain his bored expressions.

“I said, is this your work?” Isaac shouts, can’t contain his anger any longer.

“Are you crazy? You know that I hate that guy.” Ivan finally answer. Isaac punches the wall near to Ivan’s head. He then walks away. Many scenarios are playing in his mind but he knows that Ivan was saying the truth. Ivan had hate Chanyeol since their school days. Isaac recognizes Chanyeol immediately since he knows very well what his family’s capable off.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………..

Chanyeol shifts awkwardly when he was left alone with Isaac. Isaac has been so quiet that it makes him nervous. Chanyeol almost jump out of shock when suddenly Isaac speaks.

“How long had you been married?” Isaac asked eyeing the man sitting in front of him. The man that at one time had stolen his heart. The man that is now his younger sister’s husband.

“2 years.” Chanyeol answers, a proud smile adorning his face. Isaac feels a slight tug in his heart. He never thought he stills harbor some feeling for the man he once call his friend. Isaac gives a weak smile.

“How do you 2 met? In college?” Isaac asks, not exactly curious. Chanyeol smiles falter a bit at the question. He looks away.

“I…” he paused. His face flushes due to embarrassment at the fact he can’t recall anything about that.

“I’m sorry hyung. I got into a huge accident. I lost all my memories. When I woke up, I don’t even remember my name and Irene was already heavily pregnant at that time.” Chanyeol explains timidly, afraid of how his brother-in-law will view him as a husband. Chanyeol looks up when Isaac sighs.

“Don’t call me hyung. Not you.” Isaac said before he walks away.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………..

“Isaac stares at Baekhyun’s number displays on his phone. He sighs.

“No wonder Baek comes to me. If it’s not Ivan, it must be father. There’s no way Baek will go against him.” Isaac sighs again. He then gets up.

“This can’t be. I’m telling him in person.” Isaac decides as he walks out.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………..

Isaac scratches his head as he looks tiredly at the building in front of him.

“Of all places…” Isaac can’t help but complains as he recalls what Baekhyun’s secretary informs him.

“Mr. Byun and Mr. Kim are in a conference oversea. If it’s important, I can direct you to their immediate contact, Mr. Oh Sehun.” Isaac massage his temple.

“Off all people, why it must be Sehun. I’m pretty sure he won’t be pleased to see me.” Isaac comments dejectedly. He turns to his left when he suddenly hears a scoff.

“I’m most definitely not pleased, doesn’t mean I’ll chased you away either, Jung Isaac.” Sehun greets with a smile and Isaac knows right there and then…he’s digging his own grave.

“Baekhyun will be seriously pissed.” Isaac mumbles as he follows Sehun into the building.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………

“What brings you back, hyung?” Sehun asks when Isaac finally settle down in front of him. Isaac sip the coffee served to him, contemplating whether or not to tell the truth and put his cup down seeing how Sehun waits for him patiently. Isaac sighs. In the game of waiting, Isaac can never win Sehun.

“Baek and Chen come looking for me.” He answers simply and Sehun frown in confusion. He remains quiet for a while.

“Both of them? That’s rare. Jongdae hyung don’t usually follow Baekhyun hyung when he’s doing any shady businesses. Jongdae hyung serves as Baekhyun hyung conscience. Now, both of them? And meeting you at that?” Sehun pauses, looking at Isaac, trying to read the situation. Isaac remains silent. He already expect that Sehun will know the truth. Sehun wasn’t someone he can lie too.

“Hyung, are you here for Yeollie? Baekhyun hyung and Jongdae hyung convince you to come back because of him right?” Sehun asks and Isaac sighs.

“Nothing is definite yet, Sehun.” Isaac said not giving Sehun any hope. Sehun nods.

“I know, but you’re here hyung. I’ve tried to investigate it myself hyung. The day after I’m back on my feet after the accident and I’ve tried it again when Park Chanyeol walks into my office. It’s dead end every time. If anyone out there can unravel the truth behind this, it should be you hyung. You can prove that he’s really my Yeollie.” Sehun said, sounding a bit enthusiastic. Isaac can’t help but sigh deeply.

“Can’t you feel anything the first time you saw him after the accident? You, of all people should know it Sehun.” Isaac said wondering, since he recognize Chanyeol on the spot. Unexpectedly Sehun laughs, laugh that sound so brittle and empty for Isaac’s ears.

“You know hyung… that day, I walked him back to his workplace…and later that evening when I walked there to pick him up for our dinner date, the building where I sent him earlier was on fire, the building Chanyeol was in crumble down to earth right in front of my eyes. Can you imagine what I feels hyung?” Sehun said, not really asking. Isaac stays silent. He receives the news about Chanyeol, but he don’t really know what exactly happen. Witnessing something like that, no wonder Sehun has clashes feeling about Chanyeol.

“There’s no survivors. I saw one by one bodies were brought out of the wreckage and I pray…I pray…please don’t be in there Yeollie…please…anywhere but there…” Sehun lets out an empty sigh. He rubs his weary face. He then looks at Isaac.

“Hyung, I got a call that night. A call that had been my nightmare to this day. I was asked to make face recognition…you know hyung, Jongin and Kyungsoo hyung literally had to drag me there…the autopsy room…” Sehun pauses again. The trembles in his voice become clearer. Isaac silently nods as support.

“There’s white sheets covering several bodies there. I really don’t want to be there hyung…I can’t feel my legs…and then we stop…the doctor pulls the white sheets…” Sehun stops. He rubs his face. Isaac can sees that Sehun trying his best to hold his tears.

“I can’t recognized him…That’s not possible…” Sehun voices trembles…tears start dropping to his face.

“Then I saw it…the ring I gave Chanyeol…our engagement ring…securely on a burnt black finger…” Sehun can’t keep it any longer, he finally sobs. His shoulder shakes. He never did shares this much to anyone. Isaac move next to Sehun and rubs comforting circles on Sehun’s back.

“I’m sorry…it was wrong of me to ask you that...” Isaac whispers trying to calm Sehun down. Sehun was able to calm down several minutes later. He and Isaac just stay silent in each other company when suddenly Chanyeol walks in. He looks at them weirdly.

“What are you guys doing?” Chanyeol asks frowning. Isaac immediately slides further away from Sehun. Chanyeol raises his brows at the action and Isaac awkwardly chuckles.

“I guess I’ll let you both be alone for a while. You looks like you’ll need it. But don’t take too long since Sehun has meeting after this…ok Sehun and Isaac…hyung.” Chanyeol said before excusing himself, looking seriously confuse. Once he’s gone, Sehun turns to look at Isaac, looking pretty confuse himself.

“Chanyeol recognizes you hyung?” Sehun asks astounded. Isaac sigh.

“Unfortunately not the way you thought Sehun. We’ve met before. Apparently, he’s married to my sister.” Isaac answers and Sehun looks really shock.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………

Kyungsoo watches silently from the kitchen as Isaac being interrogate by Baekhyun. Kyungsoo chuckles while stirring the hot chocolate for others as he hears Isaac stutters for answer.

“Come on Baek, we’re not even in Korea when Isaac came looking for us, we can’t blame everything on him when it was part of our fault.” Kyungsoo smiles hearing Jongdae’s word. He walks to the living room where everyone gathers. He shook his head seeing how Isaac shrinks back under Baekhyun glares and how Jongdae looks exhaustedly at both of them. Kai on the other hand trying his best to remain serious watching the scene. Kyungsoo places the hot chocolate on the table.

“Give him chances to explain Baek…” Kyungsoo said calm and Baekhyun heaves a sigh. He nods. Seeing that, Jongdae lightly chuckles. Baekhyun always listen to Kyungsoo since Kyungsoo rarely talks. Baekhyun leans back to his seat and crosses his arms.

“Explains yourself, Jung…and you better be good about it.” Baekhyun warns making Isaac gulps since making the principle’s son angry is never a good choice. He begins explaining what he found out in the duration that he’s in Korea and when he finishes explaining everything, Isaac catches how Baekhyun was assessing him. He can’t help but gulps again.

“I swear Baek, I don’t even know that my younger sister got married…and to Chanyeol at that.” Isaac pleads and Baekhyun rolls his eyes.

“I’m not surprised you were that ignorant, I just can’t understand why you had to tell Sehun about it?” Baekhyun obviously had calm down but he still sound unsatisfied.

“Chanyeol found us in the room. I’m trying to calm Sehun down but Chanyeol gave us that weird, judging look. Of course I have to explain myself Baek. I end up as his brother in law for god sake!” Isaac said feeling hurt, sad even and Baekhyun sighs while rubbing his face. He forgot that at one time, Isaac did harbor some feeling for Chanyeol. He sighs again. Silence envelops them.

“Are you sure that he’s our Chanyeol?” Jongdae asks finally breaking the silent. Everyone turn to look at Isaac.

“Considering how Ivan acts when I asked him and knowing what my father capable of doing, I’m 80% sure.” Isaac answers professionally. Their face turns solemn. Now it just the matter of revealing the hard proof.

“What exactly did your father do and why?” Baekhyun asks curious.

“How do we explain this to Chanyeol?” Jongdae wonders too.

“Ivan hyung must be irritated, knowing that he considers Chanyeol hyung his competitor. He can’t even stand being in the same room with Chanyeol hyung before, to think having the same man as his brother in law…” Kai comments knowingly and Isaac can’t help but chuckle.

“He’s extremely annoyed if I’ve to comment.” Isaac said and the others smile. They all know how the supposedly superior Jung Ivan feels inferior in Chanyeol present just because Chanyeol is always the talk of his father, Mr. Immanuel.

“Father always compare Chanyeol with Ivan hyung. He loves the facts that Chanyeol was very vocal about his opinion, unlike hyung who shrink back under pressure.” Isaac explains knowingly since he experienced growing up witnessing his brother rivalry with his second cousin, Chanyeol. Baekhyun rolls his eyes at the explanation.

“Say someone who just did the exact same thing 5 minutes prior.” Baekhyun shoots and Isaac glare back at him. Jongdae can’t help but sigh exhaustedly. Kai looks in amusement.

“There’s something that makes me curious about this whole ordeal.” Kyungsoo finally speaks up when he senses that Baekhyun and Isaac already shooting lasers at each other’s. Thankfully their attention turns to him.

“I understand that Chanyeol is in that situation because he lost his memories, but what about Irene? She seems perfectly fine. It’s impossible for her not to recognize her own husband right?” Kyungsoo points out and they all look shocks. That thought never cross their mind.