Chapter 15

As long as you alive: chaptered

“What do you mean hyung?” Chanyeol asks. Baekhyun closes his eyes.

“You know…that remains, I’ve sent it for DNA testing…” Baekhyun pauses. He laughs hollowly.

“There’s nothing left. We only had the option of checking the dental record. The bones? Sehun won’t let us touch the body.” Baekhyun pauses again to collect himself. He has been too emotional. Chanyeol remains silent.

“The result came out negative. The remains that we buried and believe was our Chanyeol is actually not.” Baekhyun stops to look at Chanyeol and the file he’s holding.

“Then I sent the ring, his engagement ring…and you know, instead of one DNA like it supposed to, we found two…for our Chanyeol that was more than possessive about his engagement ring…having others wear his ring is quite impossible isn’t it?” Baekhyun asks making Chanyeol gulps.

“The DNA profile we found from the ring are only enough to determine that 2 men were wearing it. It wasn’t enough for identification test. That left us with the dental record. So, we sent something of our Chanyeol and something of yours for reference. I’ll apologizes for doing that without your consent.” Baekhyun bows his head low. Chanyeol gulps again as his hold tighten.

“So, you’re saying that this envelop contains the result of the DNA test?” Chanyeol finally speaks up. Baekhyun nods. Chanyeol feels really nervous suddenly.

“Have you seen the result?” Chanyeol asks.

“Both me and Jongdae have. That’s why I’m here.” Baekhyun answers sincerely. Chanyeol swallows an invisible lump. He tries to control his trembling fingers as he opens the envelop in his hand. He sees his shirt, the one he threw into the laundry basket several nights before and unfamiliar comb. There’s a smaller envelop inside and Chanyeol reaches for it. Chanyeol closes his eyes and takes a deep breath. He visibly trembles as he opens the envelop. His eyes trail the letters word by word and he feels like his heart going to jump out of his chest. As his eyes finally reaches the end of the page, where the result was printed…99.99% match, Chanyeol feels like the world starts spinning…the surrounding getting darker and he blinks repeatedly at Baekhyun.

“If you know how much I want to hug you tight and cry in relief right now…” That was the last words Chanyeol heard before everything turns black.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………..

Chanyeol wakes up to a white surrounding and groans in pain when he pulls his hand that is attached to an IV drip. He feels a heavy load on his leg and sees Sehun sleeping on it. Chanyeol sighs.

“Why is Sehun here?” He wonders when suddenly what happen to him earlier comes back. Chanyeol jolts at the memories waking Sehun up in the process.

“Chanyeol…you’re awake.” Sehun said in relief but Chanyeol tries his best to back away.

“Are you ok?” Sehun asks worried seeing Chanyeol reaction.

“S…Se…Sehun…Why are you here?” Chanyeol asks in stutter. Sehun looks a bit hurt at the question but decides to just smile.

“You fainted at the gravesite. Baekhyun hyung called me. He was outside with Jongdae hyung.” Sehun explains calmly. Chanyeol looks warily to the door and Sehun.

“I’ll call the doctor.” Sehun said as he reaches for the call button. Chanyeol eyes all of Sehun movement silently.

“Did he knows?” Chanyeol wonders as he stays quiet when the doctor comes and check on him. He can sees Sehun waiting from his peripheral view.

“He’s just experiencing some shock. After a little rest, he can be discharged.” The doctor said to Sehun as he nods. Sehun smiles wide a Chanyeol after the doctor left.

“It’s a relief it’s nothing serious. What shocked you so much Chanyeol that you ends up fainting?” Sehun asks, voice still carrying his worries. Chanyeol remains silent for a while before he speaks.

“Did Baekhyun hyung just simply calls you?” Chanyeol asks. Sehun nods.

“He didn’t say anything else?” Chanyeol asks again.

“He don’t have to. I’m already rushing when he calls my name.” Sehun said sincerely. Chanyeol stares at him. For the first time since he’s awake from his car accident, he feels a heartache. He doesn’t remember being Chanyeol that Sehun love, neither did Sehun knows that he is his Chanyeol…

“Why would he rushes for someone like me?” Chanyeol wonders.

“Why?” He can’t help but asks.

“Huh?” Sehun said a bit confuse.

“Why are you rushing just to see me? When I’m just…” Chanyeol pauses. They both stare at each other before Sehun smiles wide.

“Logically, if you hears Baekhyun’s voice at that time, you’ll probably do the same thing as me. But, in truth, I don’t know why. I just know that I need to be with you.” Sehun confess. Chanyeol remains silent. Sehun sighs.

“I’ll call Jongdae and Baekhyun hyung. They’re probably want to see you too.” Sehun said as he exits the room. Sehun is still waiting outside when Baekhyun and Jongdae walk out several minutes later. Sehun looks at them warily making Baekhyun sighs. Baekhyun signal him to follow them.

“Hyung, Chanyeol flinched when he saw me. He asked me why am I there. I feels like I’m not the one he wants to meet.” Sehun said after a while. Hurt was evident in his voice. Baekhyun feels terrible guilt consume him. Sehun hears Jongdae sighing. He hands Sehun a familiar envelop.

“Maybe this can explain Chanyeol’s behavior.” Jongdae said. Sehun looks at him questioningly.

“We are exhuming your Chanyeol’s grave tomorrow.” Jongdae states making Sehun stares at him with wide eyes.

“What are you saying hyung? Why are you doing that? Why no one ask me first?” Sehun questions in panic. He looks at Baekhyun for some sort of explanation but Baekhyun simply looks away.

“Someone needs closure Sehun. The one we buried is not Chanyeol. It’s someone else entirely. Chanyeol is in that room earlier.” Jongdae said straight to the point. Sehun never knew that his eyes can widen that much.

“W…Wh…What?” Sehun stutters, still unable to process the news. Baekhyun sighs again. He should have known. Jongdae is better showing empathy in actions rather than words.

“Sehun…” He speaks finally. Sehun turns his attention towards Baekhyun.

“We’ve done DNA testing with Isaac helps. That envelop contains the result. I’ve told Chanyeol. Sehun…it’s a perfect match.” Baekhyun was only able to say that much when Sehun suddenly drops the envelop and sprint back toward where they come.

………………………………………………………………………………………………......

Sehun was panting when he enters Chanyeol’s room. Chanyeol looks at him with widen eyes.

“Sehun?” he calls still in shock. Sehun stares at him.

“You know?” Sehun asks finally.

“What?” Chanyeol asks confuse but turns pale when he catches what Sehun was asking.

“Sehun…I…” Chanyeol stutters, trying to explain himself when Sehun calls him.

“Yeollie…baby…” Sehun walks closer, eyes already glassy. Chanyeol starts to panic as guilt consume his whole being. He knows, but he can’t remember. What if Sehun wants…” His thought were filled with many ideas when Sehun stops right at the end of his bed.

“Can I hug you?” Sehun asks. Chanyeol looks at him, confuse. He wasn’t really expecting that question.

“What should he say? He wasn’t afraid but it’ll be awkward as hell since Sehun will hug him as lover…” Chanyeol thought trying to find the best answer.

“Sehun…” he calls but stop when he catches Sehun sighing.

“You need more time?” Sehun asks knowingly. Chanyeol nods almost immediately. Sehun sighs again.

“How can I be so selfish at this time…you were in shocked.” Sehun mumbles to himself.

“I’ll give you all the time you need. But Yeollie, baby…please, don’t run away from me. I won’t, no, I can’t let you go again.” Sehun said knowing that he’s pressuring Chanyeol but he needs to be selfish for this one request. He can’t bear losing Chanyeol again. He catches Chanyeol nodding and he smiles a little before he exits the room the second time.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………..

Chanyeol watches as the workers start the digging process. Jongdae, Baekhyun and Isaac are standing next to him. When Chanyeol was discharged, Isaac brought him to see Mr. Immanuel, his father-in-law and that’s when he explained everything to Chanyeol. Mr. Immanuel was on his knees, asking for forgiveness for what terrible deed he did, as a father, as an uncle and Chanyeol selflessly forgive him. Irene was already admitted to the hospital and Chanyeol feels some sort of understanding.

“It was a desperate means. His daughter was in pain. I might do the same for Nari even when she’s not exactly mine.” Chanyeol thought as he recalls the incident. His thought breaks when Isaac question catches his attention.

“Baek, why is he buried in the first place?” Isaac asks while eyeing the digging process. Chanyeol catches a small smile on Baekhyun’s feature.

“He said ‘he’ was burnt alive, and now we want to burn ‘him’ in his dead, that’s too much.” Baekhyun quotes not really mentioning any name but Chanyeol knew exactly who said it.

“Sehun?” Isaac said it for him and Chanyeol catches Baekhyun nods. Chanyeol looks around and sees Jongin and Kyungsoo standing further away with Suho and Lay. He can’t see Sehun anywhere.

“Sehun is in his car.” Jongdae said knowingly. Chanyeol nods as he excuse himself to look for Sehun. He walks for a while when he finally catches Sehun stands outside his car, all black with a shade on.

“You’re not going to see?” Chanyeol asks making Sehun turns to look at him.

“I came here every week. I talked to him, pouring my heart out…it hurt…a bit.” Sehun confess. Chanyeol nods. They stay silent for a while before Sehun speaks again.

“Will you do it for me?” He asks suddenly.

“Do what?” Chanyeol asks feeling confuse.

“Give me your time. Just one day every week. I do need some space to breath.” Sehun said making Chanyeol frowns.

“Space to breath?” he asks not really understand what it means. Sehun gives a weak smile.

“I can’t force you. I’ve promised you that I’ll give you some times. But Yeollie baby, I can’t stop myself from wanting to see you. I miss you terribly. You know that.” Sehun said and Chanyeol looks away. The guilt come rushing again.

“I’m sorry.” He manages to say weakly. Chanyeol tries his best to look directly at Sehun. He gulps.

“I’m not running away. Don’t w…worry…” Chanyeol says stuttering a bit but that was enough to bring a wide smile to Sehun’s face.

“Thank you.” Sehun said a bit eager and Chanyeol blush.

“I…I’ll…I’ll try my best to remember. My doctor said that it…it’ll come back naturally.” Chanyeol explains not realizing that Sehun was walking closer towards him.

“I’ll help you. I’ll wait even if it takes forever. If you can’t remember, I’ll make you fall for me all over again.” Sehun said pulling Chanyeol into his hug.