Chapter 12

As long as you alive: chaptered

Chanyeol was left alone in the kitchen. He can sees Sehun sitting on the couch from where he stands, surfing through the channel. It is weird, usually when he comes, Sehun will sit at the dining table, staring at him like he’ll vanish in the blink of an eye. Chanyeol heaves a deep sigh. He knows if he walks to the dining table, he can sees the velvet box placed on the shelf clearly. Chanyeol is pretty sure Sehun’s Chanyeol had said yes. He sighs again. He turns off the stove and bring the last dish to the dining table.

“Sehun, I’m done. Come on! Let’s eat.” Chanyeol calls and Sehun almost instantly turn off the TV and rushes to the kitchen.

“Are you done?” Sehun asks excited as Chanyeol stands proudly looking at the spread on the table. Sehun can’t help but shook his head seeing the fully packed dining table.

“No wonder you took so long. Instead of seaweed soup, you’re making a feast.” Sehun comments as he takes on of the seats.

“How on earth are we going to finish all of this Chanyeol?” Sehun wonders sounding worried unexpectedly making Chanyeol pout.

“You should consider yourself lucky. Instead of simply granting your wish, I give you extra. Besides, with all the ingredients that we’ve got, it’ll be a waste not to use them. Chanyeol defends. Sehun sighs.

“You’re the one buying too much Yeol…” Sehun reminds slowly as the memories of a familiar conversation playing in his mind. Chanyeol glares at him.

“Then, why were you wordlessly paid for everything?” Chanyeol shoots back making Sehun closes his eyes and sighs.

“Of course I’ll pay for everything…because you want it Yeol…” Sehun answers slow. Chanyeol bites his lower lip. Guilt consumes him. But he can’t understand why Sehun mind it so much when he do all of that cooking for Sehun. So Chanyeol opt to just look away from Sehun, arms crossed and pouting.

“I want you to finish everything no matter what. I cooked everything especially for you.” Chanyeol mumbles, clearly sulking right now. Sehun sighs again slowly.

“Can I use some help?” Sehun asks cautiously. Chanyeol looks at him silently for a while before nodding his head. Sehun smiles in relief. He immediately pulls out his phone and dial a number.

“Hello?” the person answers the phone at once.

“Jongin, can you come to my house? Chanyeol cooks too much for my birthday…again…and bring Kyungsoo hyung with you.” Sehun explains immediately. Kai catches the ‘again’ whisper from Sehun but just chuckles.

“Are you saying that ‘now’ Chanyeol hyung cooks excessively too? I’ll tell Kyungsoo hyung. Do you want me to recruit Baekhyun and Jongdae hyung too?” Kai asks knowingly as Sehun eyes the foods on the table accessing the situation.

“It’ll be great if you bring them too.” Sehun said and Kai chuckles again.

“He’s doing a full table. Daebak! I’ll call Baekhyun and Jongdae hyung. We’ll meet you there.” Kai said ad he ends the phone call. Sehun feels so relief but then he remembers the sulking Chanyeol. He looks cautiously at Chanyeol and gulps seeing Chanyeol still looking as sour as before.

“You won’t mind if Kai bring Kyungsoo, Baekhyun and Jongdae hyung with him right?” Sehun asks carefully and it was silent for a while before Chanyeol answers.

“You still have to eat 50% of the portion.” Chanyeol says firmly and Sehun can’t help but frown.

“What if I keep them off your seaweed soup? It is too make your excellent and special seaweed soup exclusive only for me…I swear I’ll drink everything to the last drop by myself.” Sehun offers holding out his hand as a sign. Chanyeol looks at him, assessing him silently before finally nodding his head. Sehun smiles and chuckle slowly when he sees Chanyeol silently eat his portion of the food. When suddenly Chanyeol lights up when everyone arrives, Sehun shook his head. It was like the drama earlier never happen at all.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………..

Sehun closes the door when Chanyeol takes off after naturally stays and clean up everything. Sehun turns around and walks back slowly until his eyes catches the bowl on the table. Sehun walks toward the dining table and sees a note placed at the side of the bowl.

“Happy Birthday Oh Sehun. Thanks for being born.” Sehun reads the note and smiles weakly. He sits on the chair and pull the bowl closer to him. When Sehun finally swallows the first spoon of soup, his tears start falling. His house never feel that quiet. Every spoonful of soup, his tears keep falling as the memories keep coming. Sehun feels exhausted when he finishes the soup. He stares longingly at the chair Chanyeol sat before and he rubs his face. Sehun silently clean the dish and went for some shower. He was lying on the bed when he remembers his last wish.

“Ok Sehun, what’s your last wish?” Chanyeol asks when he’s done with the cleaning up. Sehun stays silent. He stares silently at Chanyeol.

“I want you…” The words keep on repeating in his mind like a siren and Sehun takes a deep breath before he speak.

“Call me, call my name.” He said which earns a confuse look from Chanyeol.

“Call your name?” Chanyeol asks for confirmation and Sehun just smile.

“Sehun? Oh Sehun?” Sehun’s smiles falter a bit.

“I’ll wait until tonight. You should go back. It’s getting late.” Sehun reminds and Chanyeol silently complies. Sehun light up his phone’s screen. The clock reads 23.50. He sighs.

“I guess he forget. I’m not that important to him. Not when he’s with his family.” Sehun whispers wanting to give up when suddenly the phone ring. Sehun heart beats fast automatically seeing Chanyeol’s name.

“Hello?” Sehun answers not even trying to hide the excitement in his voice.

“Sehun? Sehunnie? Hunnie?” Sehun hears Chanyeol calls him from the other line and the last name make him sit up straight.

“Yeollie baby, is that you?” Sehun asks, hope clouding his sense and Chanyeol frowns in confusion.

“Yes?” Chanyeol answers unsure as he hears shuffling sound.

“Baby, I miss you, I miss you, I miss you. Where are you? Please, tell me, I need to see you.” Sehun answers in a rush as he get down from his bed and start to get ready. It was then that Chanyeol realize Sehun was no longer thinking straight. He was going to grant Sehun true wish since it is Sehun’s birthday when Chanyeol feels Irene’s hand tightening around his waist. It remind him of his place.

“Sehun, I’m sorry. But I’m not your Chanyeol.” Chanyeol said plainly and Sehun’s hand automatically stop buttoning his shirt. Sehun unknowingly put away the phone and ends the call. Sehun never thought he can hears a news worse than when the coroner called him telling him to identified the body of the love of his life. Sehun clutches his chest desperately as he feels like thousand needles are prickling his heart. His eyes wander to his bed and the empty sight make Sehun drops to the floor.

“Chanyeol, how can you do this to me? You can at least let me delude myself to think that you are out there somewhere instead of being buried deep in the earth.” Sehun whispers and he cries again that night.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………..

Kai reads again the message Sehun send him few minutes ago. He chews the cereal Kyungsoo prepared for him.

“Hyung, Sehun told me that he’s too sick to go to work today. I’m going there later. Do you want me to bring him anything?” Kai asks when Kyungsoo takes his seat.  Kyungsoo sips some of his coffee before he answers.

“Is he physically sick or is it heartsick?” Kyungsoo wonders making Kai looks up in realization. Kyungsoo sighs.

“Go and see him first. You’ll know what to do…and if you need me to send you anything, I’ll come later.” Kyungsoo instructs and Kai simply nods.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………..

Kai arrives at Sehun’s house several minutes later. He unlocks the door with the spare keys Sehun gave him in and punch in the well-known passwords. Kai walks in calmly through the silent until he arrives in front of Sehun’s bedroom. Kai opens the door and was greet with Sehun fully covered under the blanket.

“Sehun?” Kai calls and Sehun peeks out from the blanket. He hums as answer.

“Have you eaten anything?” Kai asks even when he knows what Sehun’s answers would be. Seeing Sehun shook his head slowly make him sighs.

“I’m not really the one you want to see now, right?” Kai said, not really asking and Sehun just stares silently at him. Kai sighs again.

“Sit up, you need to drink some water at least.” Kai instructs as he walks out of the room to get some water. He pulls out his phone on the way.

“If it’s a sickness of the heart, then only one person can cure it.” Kai says dialing up a number.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………..

Chanyeol looks around feeling worried. Both Sehun and Kai were nowhere to be seen when he arrives. He’s used to Kai coming in late but not Sehun. Chanyeol was going to call Sehun when a call from Kai comes in.

“Hello?” Chanyeol answers.

“Hyung, Sehun has caught some nasty sickness, can you come and tend to him?” Kai explains and Chanyeol’s eyes widen.

“Sehun was perfectly fine yesterday.” He thought.

“Wait for me there. I’ll be there in a minute.” Chanyeol said before he ends the call.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………

Kai was waiting for him outside when he arrives. Chanyeol looks questioningly at him.

“It was suffocating staying inside. Besides Sehun don’t really want me there.” Kai explains without being asks.

“Then, what makes you think Sehun would want me instead?” Chanyeol asks as Kai looks at the closed door behind him.

“I can’t guarantee anything hyung, but at least you can cook him something and make him eat. I know for sure that he loves your cooking.” Kai said confident and Chanyeol nods.

“Even if Sehun don’t want to see him, he can at the very least prepare Sehun some foods.” Chanyeol thought as he walks to the door.

“I’ll try to take care of him.” Chanyeol said opening the door leaving Kai outside the house. Kai sighs. He then walks away.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………..

Chanyeol immediate starts cooking some soup as soon as he enters, and walks directly to Sehun’s room when he’s done. When he opens the door, Sehun looks at him with shocks eyes.

“Hello Sehun, I’m sorry I used your kitchen without permission, but I brought you some soup.” Chanyeol said softly and walks to sit next to Sehun when Sehun silently stares at him.

“What hurts you so much that you ends up lying on the bed?” Chanyeol asks, voice laced with sympathy as he realize the swells around Sehun’s eyes. Chanyeol places the food on the table.

“Where is it that hurt the most?” Chanyeol asks reaching out trying to check Sehun’s temperature when suddenly Sehun grabs his hand. He pulls Chanyeol’s hand until it rest on his chest. Sehun leans forward and cups Chanyeol’s cheek. He stares silently at Chanyeol and trace Chanyeol’s cheek with his thumb.

“Baby…Yeollie baby…you’ve come back…” Sehun finally speaks up after a while, voice hoarse. Chanyeol then realize that Sehun’s been crying. He recalled what he had done last night. He looks up at Sehun. Sehun’s eyes look unfocused and the recollection on how Sehun ends his phone calls last night, tugs his heart.

“Sehun…” Chanyeol calls making Sehun stares directly into his eyes.

“I’m sorry…I shouldn’t…humph…” Chanyeol voices was stops when Sehun suddenly pulls him and kiss him fully on the lips.