Chapter 5

As long as you alive: chaptered

Chanyeol wakes up to a white surrounding. He tries to sit up and winces in pain when he tries to move his left hand. He looks down and sees that his left hand and leg are both in cast. Several wires cover the expanses of his chest. Chanyeol’s right hand move to check his head and it is covered in bandages. Chanyeol tries to remember what he can and all he gets, except his name are blank. He starts to panic. Chanyeol looks around for the call button to call the nurse when suddenly someone come rushing into the room, hugging him tight.

“Wh…What…” Chanyeol almost curse because hell, what the person did to him is painful but he stop when the person which apparently is a lady and heavily pregnant at that burst out crying.

“Honey…oh my…you finally wake up.” The lady mumbles in her sob and thankfully for Chanyeol she release him from the painful hug. It was awkward.

“Why is she crying? Honey? Is she my wife? I don’t even know her!” Chanyeol frowns with the thought.

“I’m sorry, but who are you?” Chanyeol carefully asks and it was silent for a moment. The lady looks at him, eyes tearing up again.

“Now you don’t even know me?” The lady said shakily and burst out crying one more time. Chanyeol have no other choice but to strain himself and awkwardly comfort the crying lady.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………..

Chanyeol was released from the hospital few months later. He was brought home. Apparently the lady that come visit him every day is his wife, Park Irene.

“Honey, take your time. You’re not that strong yet.” Irene says as she walks behind Chanyeol holding their daughter which was born while Chanyeol still doing his rehabilitation. Chanyeol is currently being support by one man wearing a suit.

“Looks like I’m married into a rich family.” Chanyeol thought as guided into supposedly their home.

Months pass and Chanyeol already start making new memories. His old ones never comes back. He also has start working with not-so-weird-but-kind-of-broken Oh Sehun. Chanyeol do wonders about it sometimes. About his life. He looks at Irene who is currently preparing something in the kitchen.

“It’s been months and the both of us, we’re still like strangers.” Chanyeol thought as he puts his daughter, Nari who’s currently sleeping in her crib.

“It’s impossible that the accident can make me this awkward with my own wife. We even had child together. It’s not the way it should be between us.” Chanyeol frowns. He then recalls the time he went out to eat ice-cream with Sehun. How he feels at that time had been bothering him for a while.

“It’s weird, but I feel so comfortable with him it feels like I’ve been doing that for years.” Chanyeol can’t help but wonder. He scratches his head.

“Never mind. Maybe I’m just awkward with girl when I’m younger.” Chanyeol concludes as he then stand and go to help Irene in the kitchen.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………..

Jongdae’s hand tremble trying to open the envelope. Baekhyun squeeze Jongdae’s hand with his own to give some support to his best friend.

“Let’s get this over with, Jongdae.” Baekhyun said. They pull out Chanyeol’s medical record and Baekhyun immediately closes his eyes, afraid of what he’ll see, leaving Jongdae the only one reading the results of the dental examination. Jongdae’s eyes widen.

“Baek...” Jongdae calls as he shook Baekhyun. Baekhyun opens his eyes slowly, feeling insecure of what Jongdae’s going to tell him and he almost went into panic when Jongdae’s tears start dropping.

“It’s not him Baek. The one we buried is not our Yeollie.” Jongdae said, in disbelief and Baekhyun feels his heart beats pacing up.

“So, you’re saying that our Yeollie might be alive?” Baekhyun asks, hope fills his voice.

“We don’t know that for sure yet.” Jongdae tries to calm Baekhyun down but Baekhyun already starts mumbling all the possibilities.

“What if the one that work with Sehunnie is really Chanyeol?” Baekhyun asks no one in particular. Baekhyun turns to look at Jongdae.

“But what about the ring that Sehun found?” Baekhyun keeps on contemplating and Jongdae just let him.

“Dae, what are the probability that Yeollie gave someone tried his engagement ring? He always does it with us.” Baekhyun comes to his own conclusion but Jongdae remains calm.

“What about Sehun? Should we tell him?” Baekhyun asks after he’s able to calm down. Jongdae sighs.

“Baek, as much as I want to believe it with all my heart, let’s not put our hope high. Especially don’t let Sehun knows. What if we get everything wrong? I can’t imagine Sehun undergo the pains of losing Chanyeol all over again.” Jongdae reasons out calmly and Baekhyun nods.

“Jongdae was right. I’m too excited with the prospect that Chanyeol was well and living that I forget the consequences if he’s not.’ Baekhyun thought silently.

“Just let Jongin and Kyungsoo know. I’ll dig deeper to know what really happen that day.” Baekhyun said and Jongdae smiles and nods.

“I’ll help you anyway I can.” Jongdae assures.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………

Kai hangs up after his conversation with Baekhyun. He was shock. He cranes his neck to look out of his office window. He can sees Chanyeol at his desk.

“It’s wasn’t that surprising if this Chanyeol is the same Chanyeol.” Kai thought as he walks to where the said man is.

“Hyung…” Kai calls making Chanyeol looks at him bewildered. In truth, Kai miss calling Chanyeol hyung so much that he wants to try it.

“Kai? Chanyeol asks unsure since Kai is his supervisor. Kai didn’t have to call him hyung. Kai then smiles.

“Since you are older, I just thought i can try it.” Kai explains making Chanyeol letting out a nervous chuckle. Kai miss the time when he and his Chanyeol hyung grouping together to tease Sehun because Sehun was so stuck up, it was suffocating. Sehun is still so stuck up though.

“Find out how he is married. It can be our clue.” Baekhyun’s voice rings in Kai’s head and he sighs.

“I’m afraid of what I’ll find out.” Kai thought as he walks away.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………..

Sehun was so focus with the works on his desk making Chanyeol frowns. He has been assisting Sehun for few hours and so little words exchange between them that Chanyeol almost gone crazy.

“Are you always like this?” Chanyeol asks finally, as he can’t take the silent any longer.

“Huh?” Sehun asks confuse, finally taking his eyes off the document.

“I’m asking are you always like this? Being so silent. It makes me think how you were when you’re with your lover.” Chanyeol comments casually not knowing the pains those words bring.

“My lover…” Sehun mumbles, surprised with how that word hurts when Chanyeol utter it. It feels like Chanyeol was talking about someone else. Then Sehun realize, Chanyeol that sit in front of him IS someone else.

“You know, I’ve seen him. Your lover I mean.” Chanyeol keeps on talking not really realizing the change in Sehun’s demeanor. Sehun looks at Chanyeol, longing in his eyes.

“He looks just like me. You know that I’m not him right?” Chanyeol asks with ease, like it doesn’t mean anything and that makes Sehun snaps.

“I know. I know it very well. I keep on reminding myself every time I looks at you. I know very well that the one I love is dead. Do you have to point it…” Sehun pauses. The frighten looks on Chanyeol makes him stop. Sehun reaches out his hand to caress Chanyeol and he visibly flinches. Sehun can feels his heart shatters again by the obvious rejection. Sehun reaches out again and hold Chanyeol’s face in his hand, caressing them tenderly like it’s going to break with the slight force. He makes Chanyeol looks at him right in the eyes.

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m sorry. I doesn’t mean too. I’m not mad at you. Please don’t be mad at me.” Sehun said making Chanyeol immediately calms down.

“This must be how he treats his lover.” Chanyeol realizes how caring and loving Sehun can be when Sehun desperately trying to comfort him. Chanyeol feels sudden jealousy rising in him.

“That man was lucky.” Chanyeol thought as Sehun still caressing his cheeks lightly. But then Chanyeol freezes when Sehun moves closer toward him. Chanyeol realizes Sehun has been staring at his lips. He wants to get away, push Sehun or something but he feels like he has no power to do so. Chanyeol feels his heart racing as the distant between them become closer and then Sehun stops. Their noses almost touching and Chanyeol can feels Sehun warm’s breath on his lips. Chanyeol feels weirdly hot all of sudden, he becoming light headed. Sehun suddenly release him.

“I’m sorry…i…it seems like I can’t control myself…i…” Sehun stops, looking somewhat guilty and walks away in a rush. Chanyeol just stay there, stunned with what happen, hand clenching his heart.

“Oh Sehun you fool. What if he misunderstood you again?” Sehun can’t help but blaming himself.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………..

The next day Sehun was so nervous that Chanyeol might not wanting to speak to him, or worse put his resignation letter on his desk but then Chanyeol comes in, bringing a cup of hot tea in his hand smiling wide.

“Sehun, this is your morning tea.” Chanyeol said happily and Sehun is in confusion. It hurts that Chanyeol treats what happen like there’s nothing and it also is a relief that Chanyeol treats like it was nothing. Sehun decides not to hold onto the pain and just enjoy the moment of happiness with Chanyeol.

“You look happy.” Sehun comments trying to sound as casual as possible and his heart melt seeing Chanyeol’s wide smile. He really missed the smile on that face.

“It’s been so long since I have a nightmare-free sleep. I feels so good.” Chanyeol exclaims clearly excited. Sehun smiles a bit before he catches what Chanyeol said.

“Nightmare?” Sehun asks carefully and Chanyeol pouts.

“Yes, I keep having one since the accident. Sometimes, the scar on my hand even throb.” Chanyeol confess calmly but Sehun immediately shots up and reach out for Chanyeol’s hand. Sehun checks for the scar, and when he found it, Sehun run his thumb lightly on the trace of what used to be stitches.

“This must hurt like crazy. I’m sorry I wasn’t there with you.” Sehun comments as he rubs comforting circle on Chanyeol’s scar.

“It’s best not to provoke him on anything about his lover.” Chanyeol thought silently.

“It’s ok. It’s doesn’t hurt that much like before.” Chanyeol said assuring and the smile on Sehun was enough for Chanyeol to come to his decision.

“He’ll always be like this.” Chanyeol thought as he already comes to term on how Sehun will treat him.

“Sehun, I want to visit him.” Chanyeol said, almost inaudibly making Sehun looks at him.

“My Chanyeol?” Sehun asks unsure and Chanyeol nods.

“I asks Kai to bring you.” Sehun said short as he immediately shifts his attention. Chanyeol knows then that he won’t get any explanation from Sehun.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………..

Chanyeol is standing next to Kai at the cemetery site when Kai speaks up.

“Hyung, you have to forgive Sehun. I don’t think he can bring himself to visit more than once a week. It was enough torture as is.” Kai comments and Chanyeol stays silent.

“Sehun will be restless if he didn’t come but every time he comes, he ends up breaking his heart. I don’t really know what the best choice is for him.” Kai said as Chanyeol listen silently. They walks until they stops in front of a tombstone. It was eerie for Chanyeol to see a picture that looks exactly like him paste on the cold stone.

“Let’s pay our respect.” Chanyeol finally speaks and both of them lower their head.

.......................................................................................................................

A/n: Any comments?