Chapter 14

As long as you alive: chaptered

Chanyeol stutters trying to answer Sehun’s question when suddenly the door is open from outside.

“Sehun, Suho hyung comes to visit. He brings his wife with him…” Kai last words were slower as he sees Chanyeol fidgeting in his place.

“Hyung, you look so pale, are you ok?” Kai asks in concern as he walks toward Chanyeol. Chanyeol don’t have time to answer when two men enter the office.

“Sehun, don’t you miss your hyung? Come on, come and greet your brother in law.” The man in front, Suho, greets happily but stop in his track suddenly when he sees Chanyeol. The sudden action make the man behind, Lay, collide into him.

“Honey, why do you do that?” Lay asks while rubbing his nose. Suho turns to look at Lay.

“Sorry babe, I don’t mean too. Do I hurt you?” Suho asks inspecting Lay’s nose making the man chuckles happily. They stop their small conversation when they hear Sehun clearing his throat and Kai’s giggling.

“Hyung, do you come here just to be lovey-dovey in front of me?” Sehun asks, annoyance clears in his voice. Feeling a bit mad at the disturbance.

“Control yourself Suho hyung, we don’t really have any room to spare for you.” Kai said suddenly, trying to lighten up the mood when he realizes Suho starts to scowl and Sehun keeping his straight face. Chanyeol was dead silent behind him. Thankfully, his comment brought blush to Lay’s face.

“Oh, sorry for the inconvenience.” Lay speaks up politely then tugs Suho.

“Honey, you don’t have to be mad at your brother. We do come to his office during working hour without notice. Besides, our behavior were not exactly proper either. Let’s give your brother some times to cool down. He don’t seem like in a good mood. I can always introduce myself later.” Lay coaxes Suho, pulling him as he nods a bit toward Sehun. Kai also excuses himself pulling Chanyeol with him. Once they are safely outside Sehun’s office, Suho rushes toward Chanyeol and held his shoulder.

“Chanyeol? Park Chanyeol? How can this be? I went to your…” Suho stops when he feels Kai’s hand on his. Kai shook his head. A look ok bewilderment clears on Suho’s face. Lay looks confusedly at them while Chanyeol lowers his head. Kai shook Suho’s arm to make him let go of Chanyeol. Suho pulls away his hand and catches Sehun’s solemn expression through the glass wall.

“Sehun, did he…” Suho voices trail off imagining how shocked Sehun must be.

“I’ll explain everything.” Kai offers trying to guide Suho and Lay away from Chanyeol.

“Hey hyung, Sehun is obviously mad at something. Do you have any idea how to fix that?” Kai asks Chanyeol and the man shook his head. Kai sighs.

“Never mind. I’ll tend to him later.” Kai said going out of the office with Suho and Lay. Chanyeol sighs in relief. He was going to walk back to his desk when he remembers about Sehun. Chanyeol looks guiltily towards the office. With labor breath and heavy steps, Chanyeol walks toward Sehun’s office again. He knocks several times before letting himself in.

“Sehun…” He calls. Sehun looks up in surprise, not really expecting Chanyeol to be back in his office so soon.

“About your question earlier…” Chanyeol stops and takes a deep breath. Sehun put down the pen in his hand showing Chanyeol that he got Sehun’s full attention. Chanyeol sighs.

“I don’t know. I’m not really sure. I’ll stop you if it’s getting too much, because if I don’t, both of us will regret it, more you than me. Will I get mad? I don’t know either. Maybe I will, maybe I won’t. Nothing really happen. Even if I do get mad, it won’t be long…for some reasons, I can’t stay mad at you for long.” Chanyeol said with all sincerity and seriousness he can muster. Sehun looks at Chanyeol. He smiles. Warm starts spreading through his heart and the longing for the man standing right in front of him kicks in again. Sehun manages a weak thank you and Chanyeol nods before leaving the office. He feels like a heavy burden was lifted from his heart.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………..

Mr. Immanuel visits Irene in her office several days after he arrives. After a long discussion between his sons, Baekhyun and Jongdae, and the fact that Irene was rarely home lately, Mr. Immanuel comes to a decision, and Irene should not be kept in the dark anymore.

“Appa, you don’t have to come here. You just have to call and I’ll rush back to see you.” Irene said after her secretary finished placing their drinks on the table. Mr. Immanuel raises his brows.

“Would you really?” He asks knowing fully well how workaholic his daughter can be. Irene had several miscarriage before Nari since she was working all the time. How glad Mr. Immanuel is, that little Nari is a strong one. Irene smiles sheepishly.

“Why do you come appa?” Irene asks knowing very well there’s no use deceiving her father. Mr. Jung always know and always care.

“I need you to take a long holiday.” Mr. Immanuel said straight to the point. Irene looks baffle.

“But why so sudden?” She asks confuse. Mr. Immanuel sighs.

“Can’t you for once just listen to me and not answer back?” Mr. Immanuel asks knowing Irene wasn’t going to easily comply like Ivan.

“Appa, even when I’m away for a while, I come back with mountain load of worksheets. Imagine what a long vacation will do?” Irene states. Mr. Immanuel stares at his daughter silently.

“Irene, when is the last time you spent a full day with your child? With Chanyeol? Even during our family dinner, you rushes back to work once you’re done eating.” Mr. Immanuel asks calm. Irene looks away. She never did.

“But appa, I’m busy. Chanyeol understands it. He said that he’s ok with it.” Irene defends back. Mr. Immanuel scowls.

“Is he? It wasn’t my place to ask this, but Irene, have you even had with him after your childbirth? Nari almost turns 2. Are you forgetting that Chanyeol has needs too?” Mr. Immanuel asks stern. Irene starts scowling.

“He never says anything about it.” Irene fights back and that’s when Mr. Immanuel raises his voice.

“Jung Irene! I’ve met Minseok. He told me that you’ve been ditching your therapy after I flied oversea. What are your reasons for doing that?” Mr. Immanuel asks angrily and Irene gulps. She knows better not to fight back when her father uses that tone.

“Meeting a physiatrist will make people think that I’m crazy.” Irene said as she starts whimpering. Mr. Immanuel takes a deep sighs.

“You know that you’re not. You just need medical attention.” Mr. Immanuel said slow, coaxing and Irene silently nods.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………..

Chanyeol waits patiently in his chair for the doctor to come back with his results of monthly medical checkup. Dr. Kim comes a few minutes later smiling when he sees Chanyeol relax leisurely on the chair.

“You seems like you’re in a good mood. You’re even whistling.” Dr. Kim said as Chanyeol nods, a bit flush.

“What makes you so happy?” Dr. Kim asks taking the seat in front of Chanyeol.

“Minseok hyung, appa said that he gave Irene a long holiday. I can take her away on a vacation. Maybe just the two of us…” Chanyeol said as red starts spreading to his ears.

“Wonder how Isaac hyung will reacts if we left our Nari with him…” Chanyeol mumbles to himself. Dr. Kim Minseok, the Jungs’ family doctor look at Chanyeol with sympathy. He don’t really wants to break Chanyeol’s happy bubble but he knows that Irene will come to him for treatment.

“I’m sorry Chanyeol. But Irene has appointments with me that is until she gets better.” Dr. Kim explains and Chanyeol automatically frowns in confusion.

“Irene? But why did she needs appointments with you hyung?” Chanyeol asks worried.

“Remember about your accident? It’s not just you that had trauma. Irene has one too…” Dr. Kim explains but Chanyeol cuts him.

“But she looks fine to me…” Chanyeol reasons.

“Fine? When she keeps her distance from you?” Dr. Kim tests. Chanyeol pouts a little.

“She’s getting better. We even shares the bed.” Chanyeol defends. Dr. Kim raises his brows. Chanyeol pouts more.

“We’re only sharing the bed though…that’s why I planned for a vacation…” Chanyeol said looking like he’s sulking. Dr. Kim can’t help but chuckle seeing the view.

“Don’t worry about her. Besides, you come here so that we can talk about you.” Dr. Kim reminds and that catches Chanyeol’s attention.

“What about me?” Chanyeol asks interested. Dr. Kim smile.

“Well, physically you’re fine. Very healthy to boot…” Dr. Kim said, sounding a bit suggestive making Chanyeol smiles shyly.

“But mentally…your memory might needs some triggers for it to come back.” Dr. Kim explains. Chanyeol hums.

“So, it’s impossible to cure medically?” Chanyeol asks, calm.

“Not really, we can always give you shock treatment…but why bother when you can simply walks around, meets people and the memories will come to you naturally.” Dr. Kim said and Chanyeol laughs awkwardly.

“I really like your approach hyung.” Chanyeol said giving Dr. Kim a thumbs up. Dr. Kim chuckles.

“Walks around, meets new peoples, mingles…there must be someone bound to remember you.” Dr. Kim advices and Chanyeol agrees eagerly. He then remembers about the people around him, everyone that seems to have known him for years.

“Well hyung, I’ve met people that seems to know me. It’s confusing though. They talk like they’ve known me all their life but I’m not sure if it’s really me they’re remembering about.” Chanyeol confess and that tugs something in Dr. Kim’s heart. The guilt spread throughout his body. He was there when Jung Immanuel instructs them to deceive Chanyeol in order to safe Irene. Dr. Kim did receive instructions earlier from his employer to give Chanyeol some hints because they are planning to reveal everything to the man.

“Chanyeol, sometimes we don’t have to look far for answers. It can always be just in front of our eyes. Be strong, have some faith. You’ll be cure.” Dr. Kim said and Chanyeol smiles wide. He nods before he starts leaving. Dr. Kim sighs after Chanyeol leaves.

“I’ll asks for forgiveness when the times come.” Dr. Kim said as a promise to himself.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………..

Chanyeol was on the road to his house when he receives a text message from Baekhyun. He raises his brows in curiosity.

“That’s weird. We’re not on that friendly term for him to text me.” Chanyeol said as he opens the text.

“Can you meet me at the graves that Sehun frequently visit…” Chanyeol reads with a frown.

“Of all places…he wants to meet me at the graveyard? Weird.” Chanyeol comments as he instructs his driver to turn the car.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………..

When Chanyeol arrives, he realizes that Baekhyun is alone, standing in front of the tombstone that hold a picture eerily similar to him.

“This is rare, I always sees you with Jongdae…why are you alone this time?” Chanyeol asks breaking Baekhyun from his trance. Baekhyun looks at Chanyeol and hands him a package.

“I need to do this alone.” Baekhyun answers short as he turns back to face the tombstone. Chanyeol shrugs.

“What’s this?” He questions eyeing the package curiously. Baekhyun turns his head.

“Just look inside.” Baekhyun answers and Chanyeol pulls the tape covering the package. He stops when he realizes the contents are his shirt which he’s pretty sure had thrown into the laundry basket last night and a velvet box. Chanyeol reaches for the velvet box, open it and recognize the ring inside in an instant.

“This is Sehun’s, this is the ring that Sehun planned to give to his fiancée…” Chanyeol states confusedly and that’s when Baekhyun turns his body to face Chanyeol completely.

“You’re wrong.” Baekhyun said and Chanyeol frowns in confusion.

“Sehun didn’t plan to give it to our Chanyeol. He already did and our Chanyeol wears it proudly. Finally he belongs to Sehun he said.” Baekhyun paused. He laughs hollowly. Chanyeol can detect the despair in that voice.

“You know, that ring that he wears proudly is the reason why Sehun was able to recognize him…when the corpse was burnt black to his bone, there was that ring remains on a skeletal finger…” Baekhyun pauses again, his voice tremble. Chanyeol gasps in shock since that is the first time he hears what exactly happen. Baekhyun looks up at Chanyeol.

“But then you come…” Baekhyun gives a small smile. His tone lighter. Chanyeol gulps.

“What do you mean Baekhyun?” he asks nervously.