It's All In My Head

Alternate

A/N: Credit for the title of this chapter goes to the song All In My Head by Nick Lachey

 

Chapter Five:

 

Jimin stood awkwardly in the middle of the recording room. Yoongi was sitting at the desk, fiddling around with something on the computer and Jimin didn’t know what to do with himself. There were other chairs by the desk but those looked like they were only supposed to be used by the people working there.

 

There was a couch like seat attached to the wall behind him but it was a bit too far away from where Yoongi was currently sitting. Jimin didn’t want to sit there and seem like he didn’t care about what Yoongi was going to show him.

 

Yoongi’s arm shoots out suddenly and pulls out the rolling chair next to him. He gestures towards it.

 

“Sit here” Yoongi commands in a voice that was not necessarily demanding, yet authoritative. Jimin was thankful for the guidance because it no longer meant he would stand around awkwardly.

 

Jimin takes a seat and glances over at the computer. A complicated program with different colored waves and bars is up and Yoongi has a set of headphones lying around his neck loosely. He brings up one headphone bud to his ear every now and again and changes something.

 

“Ok, there, I adjusted some things,” Yoongi says, then takes the headphones off. He puts them on Jimin’s head. Jimin can’t help the surge of blood to his face, making him blush at the proximity of the older to him.

 

Yoongi adjusts the headphones on Jimin's ears for a moment, focusing just above his head. Jimin takes a moment and stares at Yoongi’s face. His face is slightly round, but his chin pokes out, making it look longer. He has several blotches of red blemishes in several spots standing out against his pale skin, but it does nothing to hinder his beauty.

 

And that’s exactly what Min Yoongi’s face is--beautiful. He has a strong jawline, that contrasts against his slightly feminine face, but the contrast creates a unique look that makes him look even better. His slightly wide nose, in comparison to thin monolid eyes made his face look almost angelic. His face was contradicting itself everywhere, but it just made him look better.

 

Jimin refused to focus on his lips, though. He knew if he strayed too far into dangerous territory, then bad things would surely happen.

 

He had seen pictures and videos of all of BTS with makeup on and they all looked amazing, yet Jimin felt that most of them looked best when they were makeup free. Sure, a few blemishes showed but it did nothing to lessen their natural beauty.

 

Jimin was staring openly, so lost in thought that he failed to notice that Yoongi had stopped fiddling with the headphones on his head and instead was looking at Jimin with an unreadable expression.

 

“Are you ok?” he asks. Jimin shakes his head, trying to rid himself of thoughts about the other. He realizes then that shaking his head to that question probably wasn’t the best response.

 

“I-I’m mean, yeah, I’m ok, y-yeah, s-sorry,” Jimin babbles, trying and failing to not let his stutter out, “I j-just...spaced out.”

 

Yoongi is still looking at him with a strange expression, but he quickly shrugs it off and goes back to the computer.

 

“Ok, this song I actually wrote a long time ago,” Yoongi starts to explain, “I showed this and a couple of other songs to Bang PD-nim and he actually liked them. He told me that I had to adjust them a bit to fit everyone’s vocals and rap styles but other than that we could put a couple of my songs on the album.”

 

Yoongi pressed the spacebar suddenly and music started to flow through the headphones into Jimin’s ears. It was a nice slow melody, R&B if Jimin wasn’t mistaken. A couple of voices he didn’t recognize started to sing.

 

Don’t wanna be fool, wanna be cool, wanna be loved, neowaeu same love… baby I want it,”


 

Jimin listened to the song diligently. To be honest, Jimin liked the melody a lot. The lyrics were relatable, but there was something missing. When the song finished, Jimin pulled the headphones off his ears.

 

“What’d you think?” Yoongi asked, his face betraying some sort of anxiety. Jimin had to think for a minute, how he could say this without seeming tactless.

 

“I think the melody is really good, but I think you need some harmonization in there. If the goal is to showcase every member’s voice somehow then you should definitely put some harmonization in there. Especially in the chorus. The ‘pretty woman’ part would be best to use both a deep harmony with a higher pitched synchronized melody.”

 

Yoongi stares at him for a little while, letting his suggestions sync into his mind. For a moment, Jimin thinks that he shouldn’t have said anything. He should have just told Yoongi is was perfect the way it was. But then, Yoongi goes back to the computer and starts to fiddle with more buttons and features. He puts the headphones on his ears once more and tests it out.

 

Yoongi lets out a frustrated huff and shakes his head, “How come I didn’t think of that?”

 

Jimin shrugs, “It’s the most difficult to look objectively at your own work.”

 

Yoongi nods and lets out a hum of agreement. The room is quiet for a few moments, Yoongi seemingly lost in thought.

 

“But, Yoongi-sshi,” Jimin started.

 

“Hyung,” Yoongi interrupted him.

 

“Huh?” Jimin blinked back.

 

“Call me hyung,” Yoongi says, his eyes darting back and forth from Jimin’s form to somewhere else in the room, "I thought I told you that already, brat."

 

“O-ok…” Jimin starts, “Y-yoongi-hyung…”

 

The older lets a tiny smile slip but as soon as it’s there, it’s gone replaced by his usual poker face.

 

“Have we recorded our vocals for this song yet?” Yoongi shook his head.

 

“Those were demo singers,” Yoongi answers, “we can’t record our voices until I’ve got everything done with the melody and the composition. Once that’s done we can record and then edit afterwards.”

 

Jimin nods his head. This must be a difficult process. Jimin was immensely glad he didn’t have to worry about the whole process as much, but he still felt bad for the older who had to work so hard all the time.

 

“It’s hard work, but it’s worth it,” Yoongi says suddenly, as though reading his thoughts. Jimin is taken aback by his accurate response to his thoughts for a moment but then the older speaks again.

 

“Your face,” he says, “I could see on your face that you thought it seemed like a lot. But don’t worry. That’s why I signed up for this job. This is what I want to do with my life. It was a million times more difficult to get to where I am now, so in comparison, this is like a walk in the park.”

 

Once again, Jimin is floored. He didn’t know how one person could be so hard working and diligent. Actually he could. Jimin, himself, was like that. Back when times were better, Jimin would practice his dancing non stop. Even when someone complimented or commended him, Jimin still kept working to improve.

 

And that was exactly what he was going to do now. Regardless of what dimension he was in, regardless of whether this was his life or not, he was going to work hard. In a way, this was like a second chance. He didn’t have to worry about anything that he had to worry about in his old life. He didn’t have to think about his rich school kids, or his rapidly failing grades, or his aunt, or his dead fam--

 

Jimin stops in his tracks.

 

His family.

 

He hadn’t thought about them at all today. He had been so preoccupied with where he was and how he got here that he completely forgot this was a different reality. A different reality in which his parents and little brother might still be alive.

 

Jimin jumps out of his chair, startling Yoongi who quickly jumps up as well.

 

“Jimin-ah, what’s wrong?” Yoongi asks in a rush, but Jimin is not really listening. His mind is working too fast, on overdrive.

 

Could his parents be alive? Would they be the same people? What about his brother? Would everything be the same as his old world? He needed to contact them. He needed to check on them. He needed to know if they were alive.

 

If they were alive…

 

Jimin didn’t know what he would do. Probably break down and then refuse to leave them again.

 

“Jimin!” Yoongi shakes his shoulder, “Jimin, hey, what’s going on?!”

 

“My parents, where are they?” Jimin asks, completely disregarding the fact that Yoongi might not actually know anything about his family.

 

“Your parents?” Yoongi repeats, “I don’t know. Probably somewhere back in Busan?”

 

“But they’re alive right?” Jimin can’t help the surge of hope that rises in his voice. It’s evident in the way his voice cracks.

 

“Alive?” Yoongi asks confused, “Of course, they’re alive. Jimin, what’s wrong. You spoke to your parents on the phone like last week, I think.”

 

“I did?” Jimin’s eyes are starting to water. Yoongi looks frightened but Jimin doesn't register it. His heart is soaring. His family might be alive. His family might be alive. “I need to talk to them. I need to talk to them right now.”

 

Jimin’s heart is beating really fast, his breath coming in and out in short pants. He can feel the surge of energy pumping in his veins.

 

“Jimin, what’s the matter? Why--?” Yoongi asks again, this time, panic coming out. Jimin’s head is spinning. His vision goes blurry for a second before coming back into focus. He can hear his heartbeat in his ears.

 

“I need to use your phone,” Jimin justs continues to blather on, “please.”

 

“Jimin--”

 

“Hyung, please,” Jimin is crying now, hot tears streaming down his face, “Please hyung, I need to talk to them.”

 

Yoongi’s eyes are wide and his face looked beyond concerned. He quickly reaches into his pocket and snatches his phone out. Yoongi hands it to him and Jimin struggles to press in the phone number to his dad’s cell phone that he knew by heart.

 

Jimin struggles to bring the phone to his ear, his body wobbling and his muscles starting to contract with a rush of adrenaline.

 

The phone rings several times. Jimin was beyond impatient at this point.

 

“Please, please, please, please, “ Jimin chants to himself, tears continuing to stream down his face. Another two rings and suddenly it stops. The rings are replaced with empty static and then suddenly-- a voice.

 

“Hello, this Park Jiseok. How may I help you?”

 

He did it. He reached his father’s cell. The one he mainly used for work but had told both his brother and him to use in case of emergency.

 

“A-a-appa…” Jimin stutters into the microphone, unable to stop the overwhelming wave of emotion that hits him. His head was swirling and he felt like he was going to throw up. Jimin stumbled slightly, hand shooting out to catch himself on the chair to his right.

 

“Jimin?!” Yoongi calls out in concern, his hands coming out to steady him.

 

“Jimin? Son, is that you?” his dad’s voice comes out again. Jimin loses his breath. His vision is completely blurred now. Jimin vaguely registered a choked sound coming from somewhere. It takes him a moment to realize it’s coming from himself.

 

Suddenly the rush of adrenaline gets worse. With a surge of energy, Jimin feels his knees give out. His vision goes black as he slips to the ground.

 

The last thing he hears is Yoongi loudly shouting out his name in a panic as the world rushes away from him.

 

*****************

 

When Jimin finally wakes up, he can feel something soft underneath him. Probably his bed. One of the guys had most likely moved him to his bed after he had passed out. Was that last night? With a little crack in his eye lids, Jimin can sees streams of sunlight pour in, but it blinds him and he can’t make out the room around him.

 

Jimin’s body feels heavy. He doesn’t want to move his arms. They feel like lead and he probably couldn’t move them even if he wanted to. Luckily, Jimin had awoken face up, so he could stare at the ceiling. He traced patterns with his eyes as he remembered all that happened the previous day.

 

He had gone to different dimension. That was the only explanation. He had met everyone who claimed they were all part of a band together. BTS.These guys had been the same people he had met at his school the other day. That all seemed like a lifetime ago. Jimin had tried to make sense of what had happened to him, but nothing was making sense.

 

He had been with Yoongi, listening to his new song when all of a sudden, he thought of his parents.

 

His parents. They were alive. The thought made Jimin smile widely. He had never been so happy. Just hearing his father’s voice had been enough to send him over the edge. He vowed he would try to contact his parents again, later today. First, he had to make sure he explained everything to the rest of the guys. They were probably worried about his fainting spell--especially Yoongi. He had been fainting a lot recently, but there was something different about last night.

 

Finally, Jimin gained the energy to turn over on his side and look to his right. His eyes landed on a large wooden desk. What the hell? That hadn't been in the dorm yesterday. Jimin shot his hand out and felt all over the bed. It was much larger than the one he had woken up in yesterday.

 

Suddenly, Jimin bolted right up in bed. He had looked at the ceiling and he still hadn’t noticed. If he was back at the dorm, he should have been greeted with the sight of a bunk bed above his, but instead he saw a ceiling. As Jimin surveyed his surroundings, he realized he was back in his room at his aunt’s house.

 

“I’m back…” Jimin breaths out, still not believing what was happening to him. Had everything really been a dream? Everything he had seen and felt over there wasn’t real?

 

Jimin jumps out of bed and bolts to the bathroom. With one glance at himself in the mirror, his suspicions are confirmed. His face is thinner, his hair a shade of brown instead of black and his body was back to normal. He had completely changed appearance yet again.

 

He was back home. Back in his own world. He was no longer in the dream world which meant…

 

None of it had been real.

 

He wasn’t a part of band called BTS. He wasn’t a dancer. He wasn’t close friends with everyone. They were still just random classmates he had met a couple of days ago. Jin had still never spoken a word to him, and Yoongi had never shown him his song and told him to call him hyung. The thought made his heart ache. He was just getting used to the idea of being close to people again.

 

Sure, it seemed like Jungkook and Taehyung wanted to be friends with in this world, but he wasn't sure if they would still like him once they found out he wasn't a rich chaebol like they probably were.  And Hoseok....Hoseok wasn’t real. Jimin had imagined him in his head. He was probably just a projection of the type of dancer Jimin himself wanted to become.

 

And his parents….

 

Jimin wanted to throw up and then smash his head against the wall for letting his subconscious get to him like that. He had been well and truly happy for a moment. He had believed his family was alive. He had heard his father’s voice, calling to him. But it was all his mind playing tricks with him.

 

Whatever happiness that place might have given him was ripped away. He had dreamed everything. And now, he was back in the hell hole called reality.

 

He hadn't cried when his family first died, he hadn't truly believed they were gone. But that one glimmer of hope this dream had given him made him feel like he had lost his family all over again.

 

Jimin couldn’t help the sob that escaped his throat.