What Is The You That You’ve Dreamed Of?

Alternate

A/N: Credit for the title goes to No More Dream by BTS.

 

 

Chapter Four:

 

 

When Jimin opened his eyes again, he was still in that unfamiliar room. He heard whispering all around him.

 

“I don’t know what’s going on Yoongi,” a voice that sounded like Jin whispers, “he just woke up and started screaming that he didn’t know where he was or who we were.”

 

“He knew us,” Jungkook voice says, “but he said we only met yesterday. What’s going on, hyung?”

 

“At least he seemed to know all of your names,” the unfamiliar voice of Hoseok said, “he didn’t even know who I was!”

 

“This seems serious guys, I think he had a mental breakdown,” Taehyung adds, “he fainted at the sight of his reflection.”

 

“Why did he think my hair was white?” Namjoon murmurs.

 

“He told me that I had never spoken to him before,” Jin tells them, “how is that possible? I talk to Jimin all the time!”

 

Jimin willed everything to go away. This wasn’t happening. Either everyone was lying to him or he was in some backwards dimension. Yet listening in to their conversations now proved to Jimin that they were just as confused as he was. If that wasn’t enough proof, then one look at his de-aged face was enough.

 

Jimin groaned and that alerted everyone that he was waking up. They all took a step back as Jimin sits up and glances around at six concerned faces.

 

“Jimin?” Yoongi asks. Jimin feels his heart seize up. He had never heard the man speak his name before. It was strange yet thrilling. Yet, this wasn’t the same Min Yoongi that Jimin had run into yesterday. This was a completely new, entirely different Yoongi. One who apparently knew Jimin for years along with everyone else.

 

“I’m gonna need someone to fill me in on everything that’s happened since we met," Jimin says finally. Everyone looks a little concerned.

 

“Jimin--” Namjoon tries to say.

 

“No, this is not happening. I am not from here. You are not the same people I met yesterday. This has to be some sort of alternate reality, I know it.”

 

“Jimin, that’s not possibl--” Jungkook tries to say.

 

“How is it possible that I’ve de-aged then?” Jimin questions him, “my hair was brown yesterday and shorter than this. I already lost all this baby fat and yet now it’s back on my cheeks. I haven’t looked like this in years, there is no other possible explanation---”

 

“Jimin, maybe we should take you to the doctors,” the one named Hoseok says.

 

“I met you all yesterday, except for you,” Jimin barrels on, “we all go to the same school in Gangnam. I met Jungkook-sshi on the subway and now he and Taehyung-sshi are in my class, I met Namjoon-sunbae when he helped me find the entrance to the school. Namjoon sunbae introduced Jin sunbae to me as his best friend. I ran into Yoongi-sshi on accident. That all happened yesterday.”

 

“Jimin--” Taehyung says, “do you know what Bangtan Seonyeondan is?”

 

Jimin thinks for a bit and when nothing pops up he shakes his head.

 

“No,” Jimin answers, “who are they?”

 

“Jimin, that’s us,” Yoongi says, “we’re Bangtan Seonyeondan. You and all of us. We’re a part of a hip hop k-pop group under BigHit Entertainment. We’ve been training since two years ago and we just got back from filming two music videos. In less than a month we are debuting the first music video.”

 

Jimin glances around at all of them, taking in each of their serious faces. Jimin lets out a chuckle.

 

“You’re kidding, right?”

 

“We already filmed the music video and have our first live performance after the music video releases,” Namjoon tells him, “we can prove it to you.”

 

Namjoon and Hoseok hurry to get a copy of their music video up on Namjoon’s laptop and Jimin stares as they press play. No More Dream the title reads. All of a sudden the video plays and Jimin sees himself and the others in the room being introduced on the screen.

 

Namjoon is introduced as Rap Monster, then Jin. Jimin is introduced next and his mouth falls open as he sees the image of himself in a red and black Bulls jersey and a gold chair with a snapback being introduced. Hoseok is announced next as J-Hope, Taehyung as V. Lastly, Yoongi is introduced as Suga and Jungkook is introduced last.

 

As the song starts, all of them are in a dance formation, and Jimin watches with fascination and mortification. Namjoon and Yoongi rap and Jimin can’t help but be infinitely impressed with their skills. Taehyung, Jungkook and Jin sing and Hoseok raps. The dance continues on and Jimin watches as this other version of himself dances in perfect synchronization with the rest of the members. Jimin liked to dance and he thought himself pretty good, so that was what he figured his main role would he in this whole video. When the video version of him opens his mouth to sing, Jimin is blown away. He didn't know he could sing like that.

 

When this other version of himself lifts his shirt up and flashes his abs, Jimin nearly has an aneurysm. He starts to choke.

 

“What the , I have abs?!”

 

 

"The chocolatiest," Taehyung giggles.

 

Jimin is momentarily distracted but then when he sees himself and the video version of Jungkook perform an acrobatic stunt and he himself hits a high note, Jimin forgets all about his supposed abs.

 

The music video draws to a close and Jimin sits in stunned silence.

 

Namjoon clicked another link and another video pops up. We Are Bulletproof Pt.2

 

The style was pretty similar to the last music video but the songs were distinctly different, yet both catchy in their own way. They showed their stomachs and hip ed and Jimin felt himself becoming uncomfortable but he let the feeling slide as he watched the rest of the video. The dances their group performed continued to impress Jimin and he wondered if this him could actually perform as well as the Jimin in the video. When his dance solo came up, Jimin stared at himself in awe. He was amazed at all the ways his body could move. It was so fluid yet so sharp. They were all so talented and Jimin couldn’t help but wonder if their counterparts where he was from were as talented as the people who stood before him.

 

“Now do you believe us?” Hoseok asks. Jimin nods his head.

 

Jimin wasn’t in Gangnam anymore. Even though he still obviously was in Seoul, he wasn’t that Jimin here. This was a different place, a different time, a different reality. This was somewhere Jimin didn’t know where.

 

These were the people Jimin had met the other day, but they weren’t. Namjoon was a rapper here with black hair instead of blonde. Jin was a hyung who apparently liked Jimin and talked to him all the time. Taehyung and Jungkook were singers and his close friends and Hoseok was apparently his friend as well. Why was it that Hoseok was the only one who Jimin had yet to meet back in his own dimension? Was this even another dimension? That was the only explanation Jimin had at the moment.

 

And then there was Yoongi. Sure, technically, Jimin had met the older before in his home dimension, but he hadn’t said more than two words to him. His style here was different, yet completely the same. And to top it off, the two of them seemed close. Jimin didn’t know what kind of backwards, twisted place he had landed himself in and he wondered if any of this was real.

 

Or was this all in his head?

 

************************

 

It was several hours and a lot of explaining later, that Namjoon received a phone call telling them all that they had to go to the dance studio to practice for their upcoming showcase. Jimin felt out of place, every other member knew what to do, how the dances were supposed to go, how they were supposed to act, and Jimin knew none of it. He stood there staring at everyone and trying to keep up.

 

They had agreed as a group, that for Jimin’s sake, they weren’t going to tell anybody about what had happened earlier that day. Not their managers, not their staff and not Bang PD-nim. Their dance instructor was getting fed up with Jimin’s lack of ability to keep up with the dances.

 

Jimin of this dimension already knew the dances so why was he failing to perform them now? After the failed practice, Hoseok had offered to stay behind to help him “re-learn” the dances. It was kind of him, and Jimin felt sort of bad, but if he was going to stay here as part of this dimension for whatever period of time he was here, then he needed to be able to do everything that his counterpart could do.

 

Jimin could tell that Hoseok didn’t quite believe that he wasn’t from here. All of them looked at him like they were a little hesitant to believe him. Jimin hated it. He didn’t want them to think he was doing this for attention when he wasn’t. He wished he could go home. He didn’t want to be stuck in this alternate reality, although by now he was sure this was all a dream.

 

It had to be. There was no other possible way. This sort of stuff didn’t exist in real life. It would make sense if this was all a dream. It was just his brain projecting to him a reflection of his life. That’s why all the guys he met yesterday were a part of it. The only anomaly was Hoseok. Jimin had literally never seen him before in his life. His only explanation was that Hoseok was simply a figment of his imagination. An annoying figment of his imagination. Jimin just wasn’t sure why this whole thing was so realistic.

 

He could touch and feel and smell and do everything here and it didn’t feel like a dream. It felt real. The pain felt real. Hoseok continued to try to teach him the dance. Jimin thought he might be able to pick it up quickly, since he had some experience with dance in the past, but no. This was a whole new level of dance that Jimin had never experienced before. It wasn't just the dances from the music videos but the dances for all the songs they might perform live. Not to mention their Intro dance that nearly killed Jimin when he tried to learn.

 

The pace he had to learn at was faster than he was expecting and on top of that, the Jimin of this world had already learned it and perfected it. If he messed it up, that would draw attention to himself and people would surely notice.

 

He wasn’t sure why he was worrying though. He would eventually wake up from this dream and he wouldn’t care at all about what happened. Yet, as was part of his personality, Jimin worked hard, and before the day was out, he had learned several dances, but still needed to practice it and remember them all. But he didn’t want to. This was the responsibility of the Jimin from this realm. Not his.

Jimin’s thoughts kept going back and forth between believing that all of this was real and being convinced that it was all a dream. Perhaps if he went to sleep, he would wake up back in his aunt’s house? Or maybe, he’ll wake up here again.

 

What would he do if he woke up in this reality again? Would he be forced to adapt to the lifestyle of Jimin, the main vocal and lead dancer of the hip hop group BTS? Did Jimin really have what it takes to fake all that?

 

If Jimin from this place could do it, then he could do it too. He refused to let some other version of himself be better than him. He would work hard and be the best version of Jimin there ever was.

 

Hoseok and he had walked back to the dorm. Well, more like Hoseok walked back to the dorms and Jimin followed blindly behind him, having no idea how to get back to where he had been this morning. When they returned back to the dorm, the others were still looking at him like something was wrong with him. Did they still not believe him? How was this possible? How could Jimin possibly convince them? There was no way.

 

There wasn’t anyone in the living room, except for Jin sitting at the kitchen table.  Everyone having gone to get dinner and bring it back. Hoseok had announced he was going to take a shower, leaving Jin and Jimin alone.

 

“Hey,” Jin says to him as Jimin makes his way cautiously back into the apartment, “how are you feeling?”

 

“Like I don’t belong here,” Jimin answers honestly before he can come up with a lie to make Jimin feel better, “You guys don’t believe me anyway.”

 

“Jimin,” Jin starts, “It’s not that we don’t believe you. It’s just that this is so sudden and so shocking, a few of us are having a hard time accepting it completely.”

 

“Do you believe me?” Jimin shoots at him, “because you sure didn’t trust me yesterday enough to even speak to me.”

 

“Look, I don’t know what this other version of me is like, but the me that’s here, does trust you Jimin,” Jin says seriously, “I care about you and your well being a lot and I believe you. Whatever it is that you’re going through, I believe you ok?”

 

Jimin is surprised. He wasn’t expecting Jin to all of a sudden believe him.

 

“Really?” Jimin asks, still not entirely sure.

 

“Of course,” Jin says, “You’ve never been one to lie or make up fibs about other worlds. That’s Taehyung’s forte.”

 

Jimin can’t help but chuckle. He pulls out a seat at the same table as Jin and folds his hands, leaning his head down.

 

“I don’t know what to do,” Jimin confesses.

 

“Do you have any idea how you got here?” Jin asks, “Or why?”

 

Jimin shakes his head, “At this point, I’m still half convinced this is a dream and that you all are just projections of my subconscious.”

 

Jin shrugs, “Maybe we are. Time and perception are relative. What’s real to you could be immensely different than what’s real to me. What’s reality in one’s eyes could be a dream to another.”

 

Jimin lets Jin’s words sink in.

 

“Then how would we ever know what’s real or not?” Jimin asks in a quiet voice.

 

Jin shrugs, “I guess we never know.”

 

Hoseok comes out of the shower at that moment and in the next couple of minutes everybody else comes back with the food. They all sit around and eat in silence and Jimin can’t help but feel like this awkwardness is his fault. He wants to say something to break the tension but he doesn’t know what to say.

 

“How was learning the dance?” Jungkook asks him. Jimin looks up at the sound of someone talking to him. He swallows the food he had in his mouth and answers.

 

“It was more difficult than I thought but I think I got it now,” Jimin answers.

 

Everyone nods their heads in approval.

 

“That’s good,” Taehyung murmurs.

 

“Ok, that’s it,” Yoongi suddenly says, “everyone is obviously ignoring the elephant in the room so I might as well say something.”

 

Everyone is visibly shocked by Yoongi’s sudden outburst, but they don’t make a sound.

 

“Jimin,” Yoongi starts and Jimin shivers a little, still not used to the fact that Yoongi says his name freely and with familiarity, “do you really believe you are not from this realm?”

 

Jimin nods, “I’m not. I know I’m not.”

 

Yoongi continues, “Do you ever plan on going back or are you stuck here?”

 

“I want to go back but I have no idea how,” Jimin answers honestly.

 

“If that’s the case, then you need to make sure that you are completely capable of taking over the duties of the Jimin from here. Can you do that?” Namjoon asks, completely serious.

 

Jimin doesn’t say anything, too shocked at this whole conversation to really process anything.

 

“Just because you don’t know the dances doesn’t mean we can let you fall behind. You are still a part of this group so we’ll help you in any way possible, but it is still ultimately up to you if you think you can do this or not.”

 

Yoongi’s face is firm and unwavering. Jimin stares back at his dark yet clear eyes. Jimin can tell that he means everything he has just said. It seems strange to Jimin, to see the two Yoongi’s who are so completely different. Well, not that Jimin could say this for certain. Jimin had only ever talked to the Yoongi from his realm once. For all he knows, the two could be extremely similar. The thought lifts his mood and he finds a surge of confidence swell in his chest.

 

“I can do it,” Jimin says, steadfast.

 

“Good,” Hoseok says and the rest of them voice their approvals as well.

 

“First things first,” Jin says, pointing to Jungkook, “Kookie is the maknae, you don’t have to call him politely. Same with Taehyung since you two are the same age.”

 

“Second,” Yoongi takes over, pointing at himself and everybody else, "call us hyung.”

 

***************

 

Jimin spent the rest of the night in the dorms getting to know everyone. They were basically the same people as back home but still so immensely different. For one, Jungkook was called the Golden Maknae because he was talented in many aspect of performing. Taehyung was as crazy as the one back home, but this one had no shame. He took a shower and then ran out in a craze, wearing only his underwear screaming about a giant spider in the shower--like the ones in Harry Potter and when Jin went to check it out, it was just a hair clump.

 

Getting to know Hoseok was an experience. He had nothing to go off from his original world, so everything he learned about Hoseok was new. He was almost as loud and crazy as Taehyung and Jungkook, but he had a reserved side to him. When he didn’t want to play, he completely shut the others out, not bothering to give them the slightest of a response.

 

 

Namjoon seemed the most similar to his original personality back home. He was still as philosophical and calm as the Namjoon he had met the other day. The only difference was that Namjoon was the ‘leader’ in this reality, meaning he shoulder a lot more of the responsibilities of the group. Jimin wasn’t surprised at all that this was the role of the other tall blonde man in this reality. He fit the part well.

 

Jin, on the other hand, was completely different from what he had expected. Their oldest was warm and kind and was constantly feeding him and everyone else. Jimin had expected the oldest to keep his distance even if just for a little bit but no. The oldest almost clung to him, stating that he wanted to make sure that he was as comfortable as possible. He talked to him, but not as much as the younger two, and never once hinted that he didn’t believe Jimin about his situation. He never once looked at him with suspicious or judging eyes and Jimin felt a warm attachment grow to the oldest. He just worried that when he woke up from this dream, or went home to his world, or whatever the explanation was as to why he was here, that he wouldn’t be too disappointed in the fact that Jin didn’t really like him.

 

And then there was Yoongi. The black haired man was the only one who didn’t question him any further about anything. Like Jin, Yoongi accepted his explanation and his theories as soon as he said them. When any of the others said something that sounded remotely like they were teasing Jimin about anything or accusing him of lying, the older would snap at them and say that they have no idea so they shouldn’t speak so freely.

 

Jimin knew that once he went back, if ever, he was going to be immensely disappointed. He found himself actually liking this world. He enjoyed being surrounded by people who liked him, or at least a version of him. He hadn’t stopped to think about his home situation once. He didn’t think about his aunt or his dead family or his horrible situation. Instead, he thought about what was going on in this world, the world of BTS and it made him feel better. This reality was already better than his own, and he’d only been here for a day.

 

Later that night, when he tried to sleep, it wouldn’t come to him. The more Jimin tried to fall asleep, the more difficult it became. Was it because he didn’t want to leave and his subconscious knew that?

 

The Jimin of this world, shared a room with Taehyung, Jungkook and Hoseok. The older three shared a room down the hall. Jimin couldn’t find it in himself to sleep and as it was past 1 am, there was no way that anyone else would be up. Jimin cautiously tiptoed out of the room and walked into the living room. All the lights were off so he didn’t see who it was when he bumped into someone in the middle of the hallway and fell back on his .

 

“Ow,” a voice rang out and Jimin froze. Yoongi.

 

“It seems we keep meeting each other like this,” the older mumbles and for a moment Jimin’s mind goes blank. No way, is it possible that Yoongi--?

 

“How did you know that we met like this?” Jimin questions in a panic. Did Yoongi know something? Was this a dream after all? There was no way this Yoongi could know anything unless--

 

“You told us that that’s how you met me,” Yoongi says simply. Jimin deflates, realizing that he’s right. He did tell them.

 

“Haha….right,” Jimin laughs awkwardly, trying to play it off as nothing. In the dark, Jimin can’t really see Yoongi’s face but he can feel the smirk probably playing on the older’s lips.

 

“Shouldn’t you be sleeping?” Yoongi asks. Jimin shrugs.

 

“I can’t sleep. Too much on my mind,” Jimin gives as a reply.

 

Yoongi makes a noise of understanding, “I get that. Insomnia’s a .”

 

“Not sure if it’s insomnia more than anxiety,” Jimin answers.

 

“What do you have to be anxious about?” Yoongi asks, not quite getting it.

 

“Everything,” Jimin answers, “this entire situation. You, everybody else, you’re all so different. I don’t know if I want to go back or stay. In this world, I don’t know anything. Everything could be the same, everything could be different. I don’t know if this is the future or the past or just a different timeline in general. I don’t know how I got here or why. I don’t know anything.”

 

Yoongi nodded along apprehensively, listening to every word Jimin says.

 

“I wouldn’t worry about it too much,” Yoongi finally says, “whatever is meant to be will be.”

 

Jimin tried to find any words in himself to say in reply to that, but none come out.

 

“Why are you awake right now?” Jimin finally manages to say, “Shouldn’t you be asleep too?”

 

Yoongi laughs lightly and Jimin is momentarily thrown off. Yoongi’s smile is blinding, even in the darkness. His white teeth in contrast with his gums that take up most of his smile. All of it is beautiful and Jimin finds himself unable to form a coherent thought after that. Lucky he didn’t have to, because Yoongi speaks for him.

 

“I’ve actually been working on a song and it’s still not good enough so I’ve been working on it all night,” Yoongi says in explanation, “I could probably wait till the morning but my mind is going to be too preoccupied with the song to sleep anyway so why not just stay up and actually work on it.”

 

“You write songs?” Jimin asks all of a sudden. Yoongi looks taken aback for a moment.

 

“Yeah, you know that--” Yoongi stops himself, “wait, no...you don’t know that…”

 

Jimin looks down with a frown. Yet another thing that would have been obvious to the Jimin of this dimension that he knew nothing about. He suddenly wanted to disappear very badly. He didn’t want to look like an idiot in front of Yoongi even though the later knew of his current circumstances. Neither one of them say anything for a few moments. Yoongi is the first to break the silence.

 

“Hey, do you want to come listen to what I’ve got so far?”