Steering the Boat

Next Stop, You

Everything stilled. Jongin could hear ghosts in the room gasping before sprinting out of the room in order to avoid what was to come next.

“You – ” his father angrily shot a finger up to point at him, his face smoldering in red as his muscles pulled back contorting his expression, and then appeared like he was choking. Kim Kwanhoon’s eyes bulged and held his hand up to his chest, his inability to make noise a clear depiction of his pain.

Panic thwarted through Jongin, freezing him in place. The only thing soaring through his mind was that he didn’t want to be the cause of his father’s death. And the second thought was how relieved he might feel without the old man around any longer.

His mother hurriedly brushed passed, snatching a bottle of pills skillfully off the night table and shook a pill out before handing it to the man along with a glass of water. Settling back onto the bed the man breathed heavily, the blanket covering him bouncing up and down with his rhythmic movements.

Touching his arm again his mom warned quietly, “Please, be careful with what you say. We can’t shock your father right now.”

Backing away to give them their space Jongin turned back to the father whose eyes were fiery slits. “You’re really set on going against me.”

Lowering his head Jongin said, “It’s not like that…”

“Who is she? Who are her parents?” his head sprang back up upon hearing this.

What did this mean? Why wasn’t the old man as baffled and enraged as earlier? Would it be too strange to say he and Namjoo just started seeing each other today? Then on the other hand…wasn’t this…zipping forward too abruptly?

Jongin blinked at a loss for what to say.

His father raised his voice again, his impatience running through, “I asked you a question!”

“Jongin…” his mother urged from behind.

“It’s…” he hesitated. He feared he would have to cut Namjoo off if he said she had no parents. His father had always disliked him associating with the lower class. Shinae had kept that part of the deal while letting him run around secretly behind their father’s back.

“Idiot,” his father insulted. “I want to see her, this woman great enough to make you forget a priceless diamond like Chairman Goo’s daughter.”

“She didn’t do anything. Don’t blame her,” Jongin defended.

“Leave,” his father turned away, signaling that their meeting had already ended, and called out, “Hunmi, reserve a restaurant this Saturday and find a sitter for Jaegeun. We’ll be having dinner with this woman.” 

Jongin’s brows deepened usurped by his powerlessness before forcibly turning around to walk out. The deal was sealed and he hadn’t been able to say anything. He felt pathetic. His mother quickly followed, her feet swift and brisk. Closing the door very slightly so his father wouldn’t hear she gently grabbed his lower arm.

“Jongin…” she called again. “Please understand your father. He doesn’t have very much time left. He’d like to see you settle down if not have a grandchild.”

Meaning with someone of their choice, not his.

“Mom,” Jongin pleaded, “we just started seeing each other. I don’t want to scare her off.”

“Talk to her slowly, I’m sure she’ll understand you,” his mother nodded helpfully – all she could do – then turned to go back into the room. The door closed leaving him there alone. Heaving a deep sigh, he stood there sinking in helplessness.

This was the first time he was dating because he wanted to. Driving Namjoo off because of his controlling father was the last thing he needed, but was also afraid of getting her entangled into his now lifestyle and the one soon to come after the old man died if she was to meet his parents.  

~~~~~

Humming loudly to herself Namjoo skipped down the empty corridor to her room and waltzed in with her arms swinging back and forth. Spinning around leaving her bag to clamber to the floor she zipped around her apartment space giddily.

It was working. Her plan was in motion and Jongin had been swayed toward her as expected. Nothing felt better than knowing that she was maneuvering the relationship the way she liked it. Cheerily sliding into the bathroom Namjoo decided on a well renowned bath with her special bottle of bubble formula – the one she saved for only once in a lifetime occasions. Tonight she would let herself soak in the tub instead of limiting herself to a five-minute-shower, for things were finally going her way for once.

Stripping out of her clothes she untied her hair and shook it loose before stepping into the warm water with a loud gasp of satisfaction. And if she got married to Jongin she would treat herself to a bath every night with flower scented formula and even toss in some rose petals. The images had her heart skipping a beat. Now that was the life she wanted.  

~~~~~

Chanyeol glanced up with those big eyes of his b with both curiosity and suspicion when Jongin placed a tray loaded with his favorite food down in front of him. It was Monday and they were having lunch together. Instead of heading toward the Commons for the cheaper foods Jongin had claimed to treat and led him to the student lounge with buffet style foods. And now they were here, seated at a table by the window facing campus grounds.

A of sun beamed against the tall friend’s back as he waited for Jongin to speak up. That morning after telling Jongin how flabbergasted he was at being stood up for the first time ever, he’d expected more than just a murmur from him. Obviously, something was up.

Slowly chomping on a curly fry Chanyeol stared at the friend avoiding his eyes. “So…you didn’t tell me about your weekend. I was meaning to ask about the blind date before running off to class. So, since we’re here, how did it go?”

At the speed of light Jongin darted his eyes his way then elsewhere. Chanyeol blinked, uncertain how to react. The atmosphere Jongin brought with him was entirely suffocating with awkwardness. Chanyeol couldn’t stand it. Folding fingers against his palm Chanyeol raised it to his mouth to cough for his friend’s attention.

“Am I having a conversation with myself here?” the giant questioned. Changing the pitch of his voice he mimicked Jongin, “No, Chanyeol, you’re not.” Then talking in his regular deep voice, “Oh? Then, tell me about your weekend since I told you about mine. I’d like to hear you confirm the rumors about how hot Chairman Goo’s daughter is. Or…did you really hit it off?” Changing his pitch again, “Yes, you’re totally right Chanyeol. She’s hot and we’re getting married.”

“Alright, stop it will you? You’re being ridiculous,” Jongin muttered with a frown of disgust.

Brightly laughing, Chanyeol popped another fry into his mouth, “I was perfectly amusing myself. I could go on but I don’t think you want to hear the rest. Ok, spill.”

Avoiding his eyes again Jongin uttered in a barely audible voice, “I heard she got stood up as well.”

“What?” Chanyeol asked. “I can’t hear you. What is wrong with you? Can’t you speak louder?”

Abruptly turning to him Jongin blurted, “I said she got stood up.”

Eyes widened and Chanyeol stared straight into Jongin’s face catching the unmistakable hint of remorse.

“Well…” Chanyeol breathed a little confused about why Jongin was acting the way he was, “you didn’t want to go anyway, so…”

“I was with Namjoo,” he confessed guiltily, eyes still elsewhere.

Now the mood was changing.

“What?” voice quiet, Chanyeol asked. “You were…”

“I was,” somehow seeking the courage, Jongin looked at him, “with Namjoo. We…we’re dating.”

The noisy chatter around them splashed over them like an impending wave and for a few minutes students busily exited and entered the building, walking back and forth around them.

“I’m sorry,” Jongin quickly apologized earnestly, “I know you like her and you were interested…”

Breaking out into a loud laugh Chanyeol reached over to slap him in the chest with the back of his hand. “If you liked her, you should have said something! It would have totally been alright with me. I was only considering it but you probably like her more than me. I’m not the kind of guy who would put a girl in between friendship. Go ahead and date her, be happy Jongin. You don’t need to apologize to me.”

Jongin stared back puzzled. “Chanyeol…”

“Really,” Chanyeol shook his head now finally focusing on the food before him, “don’t. I’m happy for you. Since when have you ever liked someone, am I right?”

~~~~~

Namjoo eyed the clock before closing the oven and set the timer. As the pizza for the next delivery cooked she leaned against the oven and pulled out her phone. There was still no news from Jongin. They had texted before going to bed. Was he really busy at school?

“What are you doing?” she quickly tucked the pone back into her pocket when her manager appeared from around the corner.

“Nothing,” she lied. “I’m going to do dishes.” Walking away Namjoo made a face of disappointment and turned the water at the large sink on. Numerous trays and dirty pans sat around untouched. Slapping the faucet on she stared at the dirty wall and wondered if this was how it felt to wait around for someone to reply while dating.

Then finally, her phone buzzed. Discreetly pulling her phone out she smiled upon seeing the text from Jongin.

“What time are you done?”

“5.” She quickly typed.

Slipping the phone into her pocket she waited and felt the phone buzz again.

“Lets meet up when you’re free.”

The grin on her face grew broader and putting the food away began humming lightheartedly to herself.

“What is with you? Being so noisy back here like we have the radio on,” Soona asked, setting down some empty pans.

“I’m,” Namjoo shifted to lean her arm against the sink, “dating.”

Soona stared at her blankly then let out a laugh. “You? Are you making up a story or something?”

“It’s legit,” Namjoo confidently announced. “Should I introduce you to him sometime?”

“Please,” rolling her eyes she turned around to walk away.

“Then suit yourself,” Namjoo muttered and turned back to the sink. “I’m not going to stay here forever.”

Grabbing the sponge and snatching a pan she began scrubbing. Just the thought of working here until her bones went brittle was enough of a nightmare for her. She didn’t want to be a regular wage worker like the many she’d seen or worked for while growing up and struggling to make ends meet. Namjoo didn’t want her life to turn into theirs and carry on the same exhausting fate. She was determined to have it all for once and die on a throne.    

Definitely, definitely she would live to be filthy rich.

~~~~~

Once the clock struck five Namjoo grabbed her bag and called out as she headed toward the door. Daylight struck her once she stepped out and basking underneath fresh air, smiled with a stretch. She couldn’t remember when just being outside felt so refreshing.

Turning on her heels she started down the sidewalk toward campus. After a few steps she stopped when someone called out her name and turned around to see Jongin walking toward her from the opposite side of the block. Smiling from ear to ear strikingly he waved at her. Caught off guard Namjoo stood there, waiting for him to near.

“Where were you going?” he asked stopping in front of her.

“I thought…”

Then lifting the paper bag in his hand up he proudly said, “I got you something to eat.”

Her eyes landed on the bag with the branded mark of a restaurant nearby and glanced at him.

“Come on,” he gestured his head back, “I saw a bench on the way here. Lets go sit down. You must be tired after standing all day.”

Namjoo’s eyes drifted down when he grabbed her hand to lead her away. She stumbled after him silently, honestly surprised. The last thing she had expected was him coming here for her, and with food prepared at that.

On a part she had expected to meet him on campus and be driven home to change. Then they would have a candlelit dinner at some five-star restaurant. Maybe she had expected a makeover as well. Namjoo wanted to know how it felt wearing expensive brand name cosmetics and see how beautiful a professional stylist could make her. Of course, Jongin would give her all that. But this…

Sitting down he released her hand and opened the paper bag to pull out a Philly Steak Sandwich along with a side of fries and a bottle of water.

“I have a nephew who loves soda, but my mom’s gotten rid of all carbonated drinks lately. Water’s healthier for the body she says,” he twisted the cap off before handing it to her. “So water it is. Don’t be disappointed.”

Namjoo stared at it before snorting and took it from him. “You have a nephew?”

“Mm…” he nodded, pulling out some napkins. “Im Jaegeun. He just turned four. Want to meet him?”

The water making its way toward her lips stopped midway and her eyes landed on him upon hearing the question. Meeting the nephew would mean meeting the family…didn’t it?

“Here,” he handed her the sandwich.

“Where’s yours?” she wondered.

“It’s ok. I had lunch with Chanyeol,” he smiled.

Namjoo stared at him and looked away. Then after a second she set herself to tearing the sandwich in half before settling it into a set of napkins then handed it to him. Jongin glanced at her questionably. When he made no move to accept it she placed it into his hands.

“It’s bad manners not to accept food when given it,” Namjoo explained.

“Is it?” he asked.

Smiling, she nodded. “Even worse when you’re the only one eating while another person watches.”

“I ate, but you probably didn’t. I wouldn’t feel bad.”

“Food tastes better when eaten together. Lets share this time and next time and the many times after that.” Namjoo declared.

Breathlessly smiling he nodded, “Ok. Lets do that then.”

After a bite or two Namjoo said, “And thanks…for this. No one’s bought me food before.”

Though it wasn’t what she was expecting she was thankful. He had thought of her…

Jongin glanced at her as if surprised to hear it from her. A sense of embarrassment flushed through Namjoo but she didn’t let it get to her.

“No one?” he quietly wondered.

Namjoo shook her head, “No one.”

“Then I’m the first.”

She turned to look at him and smiled. “You’re the first.”

Grinning bashfully he turned away and they continued to eat under an air of sweet silence.       


***It's not very apparent yet, but they will have things to learn from each other. As we see, Jongin's character is very down to earth at the beginning while Namjoo is totally the opposite. All she sees is checks and cash.