Living with Liars

Next Stop, You

~~~~~

“What’s wrong?” his hand brushed through her hair and Namjoo tried to ward him off by turning away.

Catching his hurt look she glanced at him and quickly lied, “I must have been really tired. I suddenly feel so relieved for some reason. You know…”

“Ah…is that so?” he asked breathing a sigh of relief.

If only he left her alone she would have gone to pour the contents of what was Joohwan’s favorite soup down the drain. What was that woman doing? Trying to remind her of the connection they once shared – the connection she’d chosen to break on her own 13 years ago?! Did she think that by finally doing something for her now she would open up, accept her as mom again? It was a pathetic, useless means!

Anger walloped through her. Namjoo wanted to choke herself as she forced the soup down with Jongin watching. It felt like she was swallowing a needle, one that would poison her innards.

“I also thought about it and,” he started, “how do you feel about quitting your job? I was thinking you could stay home with mom from now on. I think she’ll be lonely without my father around and it might ease her mind if you can keep Jaegeun occupied.”

The food halted midway down causing Namjoo to literally choke as onslaughts of vicious coughs wracked her body. She pounded her chest while Jongin hurriedly moved toward her to pat her back and sat down beside her.

“Are you ok?” he worried, reaching over to pat her back. “I must have surprised you.”

Namjoo shook her head to refute what he was right about. She couldn’t let him know about her and his mother had a link. If he became even the least bit suspicious she wasn’t sure how things would turn out. He might be naïve but he was sharp and smart. To break the peace right now would be her biggest mistake.

“I’m full,” Namjoo gently moved away from the tray.

“You barely ate anything.” Jongin pointed out.

She wouldn’t eat Joohwan’s very favorite food. Their mother often made for him in their younger years. Even now she could still hear his young high-pitched voice begging their mother to make it for him because he loved it so much. What was this menace?!

Shaking her head she said, “I’m not hungry. Sorry, Jongin.”

All a lie.

“All right,” he gave in. “Rest. I’ll be back.”

She listened to him carry the tray out and the door close before heaving a deep sigh. Laying down she pulled the blanket toward her. Holding the bundle in her arms she hugged it to her chest. She suddenly really missed her brother. How was he doing? Had Kyung told him that she was married?

The door opened again a moment later and she recognized Jongin’s footsteps. His weight shifted onto the bed as he lay behind her. Quietly, almost as if he knew how she was feeling, he wrapped an arm around her torso and wove his fingers through her hair. The gesture was both heartwarming and comforting. She could feel the pounding sensation of his heart against her back, letting her know how much he cared.

“Want to sleep a while longer?” he softly asked.

His sturdy build pressed into her back, his hold promising security. Through the greedy layers that first led her to him emotions of romantic melancholy started overlapping them, growing thicker. Love, she was starting to wonder, what was it?

Were they the heated emotions she felt when Jongin became excessively intimate with her? Or is it the sensation similar to walking on air? Similar to the ants crawling in her stomach, making her feel tingly all over? The very warm feelings that brought her to the verge of tears? Or is love the exact thing that made her wonder why Jongin hadn’t come to her earlier?    

“It’s ok. I should get up.” Namjoo moved to pull herself but he held her down with the weight of his arm.

“What’s wrong?” he asked. “Is something bothering you?”

She lay there allowing an air of pure silence to weave around them. It felt peaceful even then, to say nothing at all while wanting to scream so much. It was truly a wonder to reckon how she was still there with him under the same roof with the woman who had birthed and left her; why she was willing to in the first place. A truly amazing thing to even still be here…

Withholding oncoming sighs she rubbed her hand over his. “It’s nothing.”

“Really?” doubt was clear in his voice.

“Trust me.” she persuaded and turned to try to look at him.

“If you’re not being honest with me then I’m gonna…” he didn’t finish the sentence before burying his face into her neck threatening to bite her playfully. Squealing loudly she tried squirming away to no avail. Then laughing and giggling as his breath tickled her skin brought her knees together in effort to contain herself.

Flipping around she laughed into his face high and happy, her hands on his shoulders to push him away. For brief a moment she watched him breathe unevenly and again, dwelled over the fact that he was so utterly handsome. Then as naturally as ever, he dove in to kiss her. Soft warmth – something as soft and sweet as cotton candy pulsed through her. Almost at once his hand s around her waist to hold her closer and draping her arms around his neck she found herself sinking deeper into his gentle open mouth kisses.

Something about the way he held and touched her was insanely fulfilling, almost a little y and she didn’t even know where the thought came from. Certain aspects of her world were starting to change for the better, in the strangest ways she never imagined before. Some of it was unexplainable and other bits of it she was still trying to adjust to. Things like having children and living a lovely life in this place. Other things to accept like the pampered relatives she would have to get to know, Jongin’s business life, and wonders she would have to face.

His breath was warm, hand on her lower back, and lips on hers treating her like fragile ceramic glass. Linking her arm through his she clutched onto the back of his shoulder as he gently rolled her onto her back, blanketing her from above with his body.

Her heart raced as blood rushed through her body and unknowingly folded her toes as excitement furthered through her system. Their breathing quickly became ragged when Jongin lowered himself on her and felt his middle touch her. A breath gushed out of and she merely whimpered when Jongin his hand over her hip. Passion flowed through his mouth and desire fluctuated through her body like bolts of lightning as he continued crushing her with his weight.

Namjoo’s mouth gaped open to gasp for air when Jongin brushed his lips over her cheek, leaving a trail of kisses as he roved toward her ear and toward her neck. “I want you,” she heard him raggedly whisper.

Digging her head back into the mattress her body arched up into his and instinctively his back before her fingers found the hem of his shirt. Releasing a breathless gasp when he found that good spot on her neck she yanked his shirt up his back and dug her fingers against the smooth of his skin. Something sharp grew in her and the urge to experience something with Jongin she never experienced before heightened.

A sense of pleasure, one she’d never felt before, touched the deepest part of her when he gripped her waist up – his warm hand touching her never-before-touched skin under her shirt. All the very embarrassing things she’d imagined experiencing as a married couple vanished from her thoughts. Jongin was more important than anything and she was suddenly sure she was ready to let go of herself for him. What did it matter, they were married and were going to spend their future together.

She could feel his hands moving up, closer toward her s before she pulled his shirt off. The quick interruption of tossing his shirt aside left her cold before he finally kissed her lips again, cupping her face with his hands this time. The affection it fed her made her feel like she was the his world’s most valuable treasure. Namjoo quickly kissed him back as he moved over her, even running her tongue against the edges of his mouth hungrily in the most natural way.

It was strange to fathom how she was comfortable in this setting with him like she trusted him with her all. Namjoo found herself wondering if this was love.

She even moaned into his mouth when he rubbed against her and slightly dug her nails into his skin as she explored his back. A sudden knock on the door made her heart sound like thunder to her ears and Jongin withdrew from her. Their eyes popped open and they stared at each other.

“Jongin?” a voice called out.

They quickly scrambled up as the hunger in their bodies died with regret and turned to find their mother standing at the foot of the bed with a tray of tea in her hands. Locking her lips together she gulped as the woman stared at them wide-eyed and looked away quickly embarrassed. Namjoo felt a sense of shame wash over her and averted her eyes, listening to the woman walk over to set the tray onto Jongin’s desk.

“I just thought you’d like some tea,” her voice was almost inaudible. “I’ll be in the kitchen if you need anything.”

She swiftly scurried by and the door closed, leaving them there to sit in an awkward atmosphere. Namjoo moved back, pulling her legs sprawled out around Jongin back and folded them. Her eyes met with Jongin and listened to him breathlessly pull on a smile to ward off the awkwardness of their heated session. The realization that she almost got bare with him hit her hard. The earlier sense of shame threatened to grow but Jongin swept it away when he it over her head and stopped when he touched the back of her head.

It was magical how he managed to settle her unease. With some courage she met with his eyes again.

Before he could talk Namjoo felt her face grow red and mumbled, “You should…you should put your shirt on.”

“Oh..right,” he laughed. As he slipped into the cloth Namjoo managed to sneak a peek at his fine stature and quietly cleared when he pulled it down. “I should’ve locked the door, sorry.”

Slightly biting her lower lip she glanced at him, “I want to go see my brother. Is that ok?”

He slightly raised a brow then nodded, “Sure, why not? Get dressed and come out when you’re ready.”

Jongin walked out but not before giving her a tender hug with a peck on the cheek.

~~~~~

Pausing midway in the hallway Jongin puffed out a breath for some courage boost before walking toward the kitchen. Of all things he’d forgotten to lock the door. Jongin wanted to groan about it but it was too late anyway. He’d never had to walk the hall of shame before but it didn’t really matter. He and Namjoo were a married couple and were entitled to do what they wanted as a couple. There wasn’t anything his mother could say about it, but when he walked in and saw her troubled expression it didn’t quite seem all right.

“Mom?” Jongin had to call out to get her attention. She was standing aimlessly in front of the two-door fridge chewing her thumb nail. A sight he’d never seen before.

Abruptly turning she looked at him with what looked like a disapproving frown then averted her eyes. It was a gesture he’d never received before.

“Is something wrong?” he wondered.

He watched her blink a few times before turning to him, “I’m sorry Jongin…”

He smiled embarrassed as well, “I’ll lock the door from now on. My mistake.”

Hunmi turned away as if her thoughts were troubling her. After a second she quickly turned again, “Jongin.”  

“Yes?”

“I…I…” she stuttered then paused for a long moment then almost looked at him pleadingly, “I don’t want…I don’t like it.”

He frowned. “You don’t like what?”

Heaving a deep sigh of frustration she finally said, “I don’t want you two to have children yet.”

“Mom…”

She heaved another heavy sigh as if she’d been carrying the weight of the world. Then rubbing a hand against her forehead she looked up at him, “Jongin, I don’t want you two sleeping together. It’s not…it’s not…not time. I don’t want you to yet.”

Jongin stared stunned, taken aback. What the heck was this supposed to mean? Something about this was mind blowing. It didn’t make sense.

“Mom…wh…what are you saying?”

She looked almost as speechless as him, but unlike him she seemed to have her excuses put out there. “You’re still young, most of all…Namjoo’s still a young woman. You should let her live her life before having children. There’s all the time in the world and…and having children,” she sped up her words, “isn’t such a simple thing. You need to be well prepared for it, and I don’t think either of you are prepared to handle that yet, so I…I’d like it if you wait. Maybe a year or two. Maybe three, yes, three sounds good.”

His frown deepened. His mother actually sounded anxious; more worried about Namjoo than him – if he was getting it right. Something was off but he couldn’t pick it out.

He turned when he heard footsteps and turned back to find Namjoo standing in the hall, waiting for him. Turning back to his mom he said, “We’ll talk later. We’re going to visit Namjoo’s brother.”

His mother’s eyes opened in surprise. “You…what?”

“We won’t be long,” Jongin promised before pivoting around to walk toward Namjoo. Grabbing her hand he led her toward the front door and out of the house. Some fresh air sounded really nice and while at Namjoo’s brother he would have to think over what exactly his mother was so concerned about.

It was appalling that she wanted to stop him and Namjoo from being overly intimate.

~~~~~

God, it was all wrong. She was insanely thankful that Jongin brought Namjoo to her but this…she didn’t want Namjoo to be giving away her purity just yet. It didn’t feel right at all. She still felt so very much like the little girl she’d given birth to; so innocent and young. Hunmi still wanted to protect her because she was still such a young woman who had the ability to do more than just settle down and conceive.

She wanted Namjoo to do so much more than that.

“Driver Park! Driver Park!” Hunmi rushed out of the kitchen and into the foyer. Upon her relentless calling a man of forty hurried in through the guest room.

“Yes, Madam?” he inquired.

“Follow them. I need you to follow them. Quick!”

“What is it?” he frowned bringing those wrinkles on his forehead further into shape.

“Find out where they’re going and report back to me. Do you understand?”

~~~~~

“Namjoo,” Joohwan greeted them with surprise at the door. “What are you doing here?”

“I just…wanted to visit,” Namjoo smiled then looked over his shoulder to see Inha inside. She loudly greeted, “Hi, Inha!” as she pushed her way in. Behind her, Joohwan and Jongin greeted each other from at the threshold before the door closed.

“What’s with the surprise visit?” Inha asked from the sink where she was drying dishes with a rag. “Have you eaten yet? Hold on, let me set the table for you.”

“Oh no, it’s all right. Don’t worry about it,” Namjoo shook her head.

“A good guest should never refuse an offer for food, sit down,” Inha smiled before walking toward the fridge to pull some leftovers out.

Namjoo watched her before resigning to the table. She was hungry anyway so there was no use trying to argue. She’d eat anything over her mother’s food any day. In a matter of seconds Jongin and Joohwan joined her.

“I was going to call you some time soon,” Joohwan spoke up across from her.

“Oh? What for?” Namjoo wondered.

Mischievously smiling he glanced over at Inha and called out, “Should I tell them? Or do you want to be the guest of surprise?”  

“Don’t do it yet. Wait till I get there,” she called out.

Namjoo raised her brow looking from wife to husband and frowned, “What is it? You usually don’t have any surprises to give. Did you win the lottery?”

Joohwan grinned. “It’s something even better. And you’re going to love it.”

“Am I?” Namjoo wondered.

“Sounds suspenseful,” Jongin commented. A minute later Inha hurried over with two plates of food. Settling the plates down in front of them she joined her husband across from them. Namjoo watched them sneakily glance at each other with broad smiles.

“Namjoo,” Joohwan clasped his hands together, grinning from ear to ear excitedly, “you’re finally going to be an aunt.”

Namjoo’s jaw nearly touched the floor as she jumped up from her seat. “Oh my god! Congratulations! I can’t believe this!”

Inha laughed giddily from where she sat, “So when are you two going to get married?”

“We already are,” Jongin proudly announced.

“What?” the excitement died from Joohwan’s face then he looked at her grimly. “What are you talking about?”

“This past weekend, we got married.” Jongin smiled happily unaware of the sudden stern atmosphere as both Inha and Joohwan’s eyes stared her down. “Namjoo said you two worked, so you couldn’t make it. I thought you knew.”

“I wasn’t at work,” her younger brother’s statement was clear and quiet.

Jongin frowned and turned to look up at her. “What is he talking about?”

Namjoo felt her blood run cold.   


***Their mother is going to find out where the younger brother lives! DUN DUN DUN!!

***Oops, now Jongin has found out one of Namjoo's lies.