Setting the Trap

Next Stop, You

~~~~~

“Come,” Chanyeol had urged, “have some fun. You keep dragging your feet around after talking about that blind date you got. Cheer up a little! It’s just life, after all it’s probably just a blind date, right? You probably won’t even see her after it.”

With a hard slap on the back Jongin had muttered an agreement but had stalled that Friday evening. Then at the last minute had decided, why not? There was practically no reason to be feeling so low. The Chairman’s daughter whose name he did not know might not be so bad. She was pretty as he knew it and nothing could go wrong. Yet, even as these thoughts came he was still disturbed by the part of him that remained unsatisfied with whatever it was he was unsatisfied with.

The other big problem was that he knew he had no choice. He was obligated as his father’s only blood line left to carry out his dying wishes. If not him, who?

His sister, Kim Shinae, was dead. She would have loved to take the company off his hands, only in death she couldn’t. Before her death she had protected him from their father’s dictating nature, letting him out of the house to play soccer in the fields with the other regular students, sometimes he even walked home after school and would stop to eat street food with friends. His pure childhood experience had been a blessing thanks to her. All he’d had had been what Shinae didn’t but she had loved and looked out for him. Before she passed away in the tragic accident he hadn’t been able to do anything for her.

Now, he lived in control underneath his bedridden father’s orders. To graduate and immediately take over the company was his now destiny. If his father said to marry, he would have to marry. If his father wanted him to kneel, he would have to kneel.

There wouldn’t be much time from now when he would no longer be able to do what he wanted. That too, meant going out with Chanyeol late into the nights. If he could blow off some steam tonight Saturday’s blind date would be no problem.

Well, that had been the thought until he walked into the karaoke room to see Chanyeol’s long arm locked around Namjoo like some protective boyfriend. Though his attention swayed to focus on the classmates greeting him the two were in full view from the corner of his eyes. It was bothersome.

For a short while he sat there with the music blaring, listening to Chanyeol’s disastrous booming voice ricocheting in his ears. Namjoo’s voice drifted in and out smoothly through his ears like gentle waves crashing against the shore.

Tonight he hadn’t expected to see her here, especially not with Chanyeol. Something about it plagued him with thoughts of wariness. These emotions were things he shouldn’t be experiencing. Not toward a friend like Chanyeol.

“I forgot there’s something I have to do at home.” he lied and excused himself.

That was right, Jongin thought as he rushed outside, this is how it needs to be. He’d always known his place, what to do, and where he belonged. Right now it was at the sidelines where he would be cheering Chanyeol on.

That was where he needed to be standing. Nowhere else.

~~~~~

Damn Chanyeol, was all Namjoo could groan about when she crept into bed that night. Jongin had left by the time she stepped outside to look for him. So quick to leave without even a goodbye. Or had his blind date called him out?

“No, no,” Namjoo shook her head and folded her arms atop her pillow, focusing her eyes on the baby blue wall in front of her.

If she recalled correctly Jongin would be at school finishing an essay at the library. No matter what she would have to catch him before he left for his blind date, and she would have to gamble for it again. No big deal. She was sure Jongin wasn’t too far off from being interested in her, and an interest in a particular person was what drew lovers together or something like that. Namjoo had heard a relationship counselor mentioning it while delivering papers one day.

Manipulating was an art for her. Countless times in the past based on certain circumstances Namjoo had lied her way through numerous situations. She had also taken advantage of her soft-hearted bosses by throwing around her story of her and her one-legged brother. The other day in her apartment Jongin had spoken about his sister. The forlorn expression in his eyes was something she knew well. If she could use his wounds to her advantage he would cave. And he’d be hers.

But that would only depend on how things would go tomorrow. Praying it would go her way Namjoo flipped onto her back for some sleep.

When the sun rose hours later Namjoo hurriedly washed and dressed before heading out. After getting directions once she reached campus from some students relaxing outside she found the library in no time. The ancient structure well looked after towered over her. Tall and clear windows loomed into the sky reflecting the sky’s beauty luminously. Awed, Namjoo stood with mouth agape.

A minute or two was spent circling the humongous poles that helped hold up the front roof of the building, absorbing the intricate designs in the ceilings. Touring the site Namjoo then plopped down in front of the short flight of stairs and waited and continuously checked her watch. She prayed Jongin was here. If he already left she would be ready to stand Chanyeol up either way, saying something had come up with her younger brother or something.

Bored, Namjoo busied herself with twirling and braiding her hair, even whistling to herself. It felt like an entire day had passed just sitting there before she finally heard her name. Jumping to her feet and spinning around she spotted Jongin with his laptop parcel strung over his shoulder. A smile of relief barely climbed onto her face before she caught herself.

“I...I…” she intentionally stuttered, “I heard…you were here today.”

Jongin blinked still looking questionably and nodded. “I was finishing up an essay. Why? Is something wrong? Or is it Chanyeol?”

Damn Chanyeol…

Smiling she shook her head. “Actually…I just…I…” she paused for a second to let the moment drone on to express her hesitation.

Act well, she reminded herself. She needed to make him believe her. That was all that mattered.

“I heard you have a blind date today,” she said and watched apprehension overcome his face, or was it embarrassment and hesitation?

Jongin’s eyes darted away from hers, leaving the two of them standing in silence. Namjoo actually wondered for a minute if it was that serious of a blind date and if she should be feeling awkward instead of focused on her purpose for being here.

“I do,” the reply was quiet. His eyes landed on her quickly then away. Namjoo felt almost strange for a second but disregarded it. “Look, I gotta go. I’ll see you next time. Have fun with Chanyeol today.”

He quickly shuffled by while she absorbed the fact that he obviously knew Chanyeol had asked her out. Hastily turning she asked, “Can you not go?”

Jongin’s footsteps immediately ceased but he didn’t turn around, so walking around him Namjoo stepped before him. Peering up into his face she felt a wave of guilt and wariness wash over her. In her heart she knew she didn’t have even a tablespoon of feelings for him. She might never love him, but he could give her the life she wanted, and fortune she desired.

Impulsively she blurted, “I like you.”

Those eyes of his widened and he glanced at her, all without a word. Without swaying Namjoo stared right at him then after a second looked away.

“I…I just wanted to te…tell you…you know, before you go to your date and I go meet Chanyeol,” she looked up at him again hoping she was looking pitiful and disappointed. “I…I shouldn’t have come. S…sorry. I’ll go.”

Lowering her head she glanced up at him once before turning and hurried down the flight of steps, urging underneath her breath for him to come after her. Halfway toward the center of the campus she bit her lower lip, ready to stomp it out that she’d once again failed to get him to come for her. Contorting her face and squeezing eyes shut Namjoo squeezed her hands into fists.

Dammit! He wasn’t going to come after her! Her fifty-fifty chance wasn’t going anywhere. What was she going to do now? Go home and mope in bed?

Then she heard what sounded like a stampede of urgent footsteps before suddenly whirling around so fast her heart nearly leapt out of her chest. The first thought was that she was going to lose her balance before stabilizing on both feet. A quick gasp ushered out of her lips shocked and surprised. Before her, Jongin stared back short of breath, his hand around her arm.  

“Then don’t go,” he breathed.

Namjoo’s brows shot up.

“I want to get to know you,” he continued. “Lets date.”

~~~~~

Jongin didn’t know what had gotten into him. The only thing he was truly sure of was that he didn’t want Namjoo to go on the date with Chanyeol. If they really did become official it’d be out of his hands to do something for Namjoo, just like Shinae whom he couldn’t do anything for.

And who knew that he felt more relieved than he had the past week running after her. Jongin hadn’t expected to see Namjoo at all. She would be prettying up for Chanyeol – their date, not here waiting for him like this. Who knew that her little boost of courage would have him acting on impulse like this.

He would be dumped with guilt later, he knew that, but right now it didn’t really matter that Chanyeol would be stood up. Sitting on a bench somewhat awkwardly together Jongin watched birds fly by and the tree leaves dance in the wind. Namjoo hadn’t yet said a word and he didn’t know what to utter either. This was kind of strange and new to him, but not anything near as bad as he feared.

“So…” she began after another minute of quivering silence, “what now?”

“I’m not…really sure,” he quietly replied flicking his nails together. He stared at the prettily set brick walk embarrassed. Even after boldly saying all that he didn’t know what else to do. He wasn’t good at these kinds of stuff Chanyeol seemed so natural at.

What next? Where do they go from here?

“Are you hungry?” he asked hesitantly turning to look at her feeling, for some reason, more ashamed. She shot him a quick glance and he thought she suddenly looked different than she did before. Not just the nice girl who came for Chanyeol but somehow prettier.

“Yea,” she nodded.

Standing up he held his hand out, “Since today’s our first day as a couple, we can hold hands.”

For a second he was afraid he was moving too fast and would make Namjoo uncomfortable but the moment she slid her hand into his contentment soared through him. A kind of enlightenment swept over him making him grin broadly and wrapped his fingers around hers.

As they started toward the road he asked, “Is it ok if we walk?”

“Yes,” she nodded coming up to his side. Unable to help himself he stole a glance at her and felt his heart flutter. Grinning wildly again he turned to pay attention to where they were going feeling bashful and on cloud nine. His heart hadn’t throbbed this hard before.

“What do you like to eat?” he asked.

“I’m not picky, so anything.”

“Me too,” he continued to smile widely, “then should we just walk around until we decide on something?”

Namjoo nodded and they quietly walked for a minute or two until she told him, “My brother and I used to stop by at every street vendor we saw and beg for food. When it didn’t work we’d either try crying and when that didn’t work I’d trick them so he could steal something for us. I’m a good schemer, aren’t I?”

Jongin glanced at her taken by her story and replied with a smile. “You do love your brother a lot, don’t you? You seem to like talking about him.”

“It’s because I have nothing interesting to tell you,” she said then looked at him. “What about you? You must have a story or two.”

“Me?” he asked. “I don’t have anything interesting to tell either.”

“You’re lying,” Namjoo accused. “Isn’t your family rich – I mean…”

Jongin smiled to assure her he didn’t mind. “Then, should I tell you something?”

Namjoo raised her brow in wait.

“My mom isn’t really my mom.”

Namjoo stared at him blinking and they eventually came to a stop. Cars whizzed by bringing a force of wind as they drove past which rushed at them. Jongin stared into the distance reminiscing about the day the woman came to his home, and his father said, “From now on, this woman will be your mother.”

The young woman whose broken heart he was not yet old enough to see, had looked at him and his elder sister dolefully. Young Jongin had stared at her with contempt and dislike, ready to be arrogant and rude. Bighearted Shinae readily welcomed her with a hug and undying affection. Without due, the new mother had cared for them like her own.

What Jongin till today never understood, was how she immediately accepted them – her duty and her role as new mother so wholeheartedly? Had it not been difficult for her to adjust to them like it had been for him to suddenly see this new woman, suddenly call her mom and accept her on spot?

“What do you mean?” Namjoo asked. “Your mom?”

“Mm…” he nodded. “My real mom passed away when I was eight. When I was eleven, my dad brought a woman home, told me to call her mom. I hated her. Now, as I get older I can see that she looks disturbingly sad, like she left something really important to her behind when she came to us.”

Jongin turned when he felt Namjoo grasp onto his hand with both of hers and comfortingly it with her thumb. “You’re blessed to be able to have two moms; one who gifted you with an extraordinary life and another who picked up where the previous left off. I think having a mother is a great thing, because without mom no one would be here today. I bet your mom right now is a great woman with a big and strong heart to be able to raise you so well. Nothing good comes without the price of sacrifice, and only mothers can do that. Looking at you, you two must get along now right?”

Another smile sprang onto his face. “Of course. Then what about you? Do you remember your mother?”  

Pressing her lips together he watched, waiting for her answer but she only turned around pulling her after him. “Have you ever had street food? They’re the best!”

~~~~~

When the sky began darkening he sent Namjoo home, walked her in, and watched sadly as she rode the elevator up to her place. Jongin was urged to follow her up not yet wanting to call an end to their first date. He liked listening to her talk and holding her hand as they walked. Smiling to himself he forced himself back out to his car and slowly drove back home.

Waiting for him patiently at the door was Jaegeun in his Spiderman pajamas, his hair still damp from his bath. There was a mischievous grin on his face.

“Why are you looking at me like that?” Jongin asked closing the door after him and swooped the boy up into his arms, sweeping him through the air like a flying bird before dropping him onto the couch where he shrieked giddily.

Pulling himself back up and leaning against the couch Jaegeun grinned at him again.

“Don’t look at Uncle like that,” Jongin called.

Holding a hand up to his lips the little boy giggled. “Uncle home late.”

“Yes, I’m a little late. So?” Jongin asked. “Biggies can come home late because they don’t have a bedtime like the littles.”

“Uncle got girlfriend?” Jaegun wondered with wide eyes and Jongin helplessly laughed overjoyed.

“You’re home?” his mother interrupted from behind. “Your father wants to see you.” Turning around Jongin glanced at the elder woman. He was expecting this. Rubbing Jaegun’s head he followed his mother into his father’s bedroom where he sat propped up against his headboard, a pillow at his back. He looked, Jongin thought, despicably comfortable.

The door closed behind him and his mother walked up behind him with her long dress flailing around her legs. Standing by with hands formally grasped in front of her she said, “He’s here.”

The man whose hair was now sprinkled with specks of white glanced up at him unhappily. In his healthier days when he’d been up and about and occupied at the office he had been a thin man with stout shoulders. Ever since he started resting in bed he had gained weight. The once handsome and long face was now rounder and his eyes swollen, droopier.

“Where were you?” he demanded coldly. “Chairman Goo’s daughter is upset. If you did not see her where were you?! The nerve you have to intentionally screw this opportunity up! I wrote her number down, call her and apologize and ask for another chance. You will not destroy what I have set up for you.”

He stood silently as his father’s anger swirled around the room. Beside him Hunmi touched his arm, “Jongin…”

“What are you doing?!” the man raised his voice.

“I don’t want to.” Jongin replied.

His father’s eyes widened at his absurdity. Raising his fist he nearly leaned over to knuckle him on the head but stopped before falling off the bed. Kwanhoon screamed, “Don’t want to? You don’t want to?!”

Staring back bravely Jongin told, “I already have a girlfriend.” 


***Namjoo's complimenting his mother that is actually her own mother lol the irony. Notice how he continuously tells her the truth but she continuously lies to him? heh~

***P.S. Did you hear that Namjoo got cast for a web drama??? OMG I'm screaming! I've been waiting for her to act!