Braking Power

Next Stop, You

For about two-and-a-half long hours they sat there together with Namjoo listening to him tell her about his major, his classes, papers and exams due before his graduation the upcoming month. When the skyline transitioned into a hue of aqua he walked her home and once again, bravely held her hand.

“Is your schedule the same tomorrow?” Namjoo wondered when they stepped into the lift up toward her place.

“I don’t have to attend my last class, so I’ll come look for you.” He offered.

“Ok,” she smiled.

They walked out once the elevator arrived on her floor and they slowly started toward her room, eventually coming to a stop at her door. Namjoo would have stalled if not for the bag hanging off her knob. Inside her head she swore at Kyung for being a nuisance before turning to look at Jongin.

“What’s that?” he wondered.

“Ah…” she breathed, “a friend. He comes by here often.”

“Really?” he didn’t sound a bit worried or bothered. “That’s nice of him.”

Namjoo blinked then reached for the bag. Turning to Jongin she asked, “Do you want to meet him some time?”

He looked surprised with the question before nodding, “Of course. Maybe I can meet your your brother sometime too.”

The last part had been most unexpected and Namjoo’s mind blanked. Immediately quieting, Jongin pressed his lips together and looked away abashed, as if he’d said something out of hand.

Reluctantly releasing her hand he said, “I’ll watch you go in first.”

“Oh…ok,” turning Namjoo pulled her keys out and unlocked her door before turning to look at him, feeling a little awkward with the abrupt goodbye she wasn’t prepared for. “I’ll see you tomorrow then. Get back safe.”

Smiling happily he raised a hand up to wave, “I’ll call you later.”

Namjoo watched him turn to trudge away and turned to head inside. Not even a step into her room she turned at the sound of incoming footsteps and discovered him walking back toward her, looking exasperated. Confusion breathed into her face. In a split second Jongin leaned forth to press his lips against her cheek.

Straightening up he grinned shyly and bit his lower lip. As he stepped back he waved giddily, “Bye, Namjoo.” With a last wave he turned around to jog toward the elevator cheerily, leaving her there taken aback.

After a minute with her heart still racing she reached a hand up to touch the cheek his lips had smeared.

~~~~~

“Did she call yet?” Kyung paced back and forth in the kitchen restlessly.

“No. Will you just come and sit down?” Joohwan asked from the eating table he’d carried out into his living room. “Your noodles are getting soggy.”

Sighing heavily, Kyung crossed the room to plop down adjacent his friend with hands dropping onto his lap. “I’m telling you, Namjoo’s up to something. She’s been seeing some guy.”

Joohwan raised his thick brow, “Some guy? You think my sister has time for some guy?”

“I’m serious!” Kyung whined. “I’m worried. The last time I went there I saw her getting out of some…some hot car. I can’t trust that guy or her intentions. He can’t make her happy. Money isn’t everything. You have to tell Namjoo to stop seeing him, because what if…what if he’s just some typical rich guy who wants to fool around with our Namjoo?”

“Kyung,” Joohwan flatly stared at his friend, “she’s an adult, she can make her own decisions. I’m not going to tell my sister who to date or not. So what if he’s rich? She might really like him.”

“You,” Kyung unhappily a finger out at him, “you have to listen to what she told me last time. She doesn’t care about him. She’s after his wallet. You know Namjoo always needs money the most. Please, Hwan, if she dates him what am I going to do?”

“I think it’s already over for you,” Joohwan teased before Kyung’s phone rang. Grabbing the mobile phone he turned to Kyung, “Quiet. It’s Namjoo.”

Silencing, Joohwan pressed the button and held the phone to his ear to hear Namjoo scold, “Hey! I told you not to get any more green tea for me! Why don’t you ever listen?”

“Namjoo?” Joohwan asked. “It’s me.”

A second of silence before Namjoo asked confused, “Joohwan? Are you two together right now?”

“Yes. Kyung is…” Joohwan shot a glance at Kyung, “doing a big in the bathroom right now.”

Making an unsatisfied face Kyung reached over to smack his arm. Rubbing the injured limb Joohwan shifted away, “I came by earlier, but you weren’t home. Did you go somewhere after work? You usually don’t.”

“I did.” The answer made Joohwan raise his brow surprised.

“Where? You usually go right home after work,” the brother said. “Did you meet someone?”

Another second of silence. “I did. Say, do you want to meet someone?”

“Who?”

“Just…maybe later, not now though. When I’m more certain about things, I’ll introduce you.” Namjoo told.

“Ok,” Joohwan nodded. “As long as you’re happy, it doesn’t matter to me. Are you home now?”

“Yes. I’m about to go wash up and rest. Did you eat yet? Did Inha cook? You’re not eating instant noodles again, are you? I told you they’re not good for your health.”

“Alright, don’t nag,” Joohwan glanced down at his drained noodle cup. “You’re not going to ask about Inha?”

Namjoo snorted, “How is she?”

“Good, I sent her out to do some shopping so she can clear her mind.” He explained. “How is work?”

“Same.”

“I’ll let you rest now. When my schedule clears, I’ll come visit you.” Joohwan promised before hanging up and turned to find Kyung leaning over to peer into his face curiously.

“So?” the friend wondered. “What did she say? You should have asked her about him! Did you at least get his name?”

“No,” placing the phone back onto the table he shook his head. Then looking at Kyung said, “She sounds happy though. If she wants to date, let her date. You know she hasn’t dated before.”

“Me! She could be dating me!” Kyung a hand against himself.

“Dream on,” Joohwan smirked standing up to go dump his trash.

~~~~~

Much to Namjoo’s disappointment, Jongin didn’t come to her work place the next day as he’d promised. Right after leaving she immediately headed toward campus and roamed around in front of the business building in wait for him. She impatiently waited 10 minutes after sending him a text that she was waiting for him on campus but only to receive no reply.

It hit her minutes later about why she even felt frustrated and the need to come look for him. She could have gone straight home to nap as usual, but here she was, acting unexplainably. To think she’d let an immature peck on the cheek get to her – one of which she never received before. It was just a mere peck! And of course Jongin should be acting that way toward her!

Getting to her feet after justifying her thoughts from the stairs after fifteen minutes of debating she began walking away. Her heart jumped helplessly when she heard her name and quickly spun around to find Chanyeol hurrying toward her from the top stairs. The hope that had soared up inside her quickly swung back down.

“Oh…hey,” she unexcitedly greeted then looked away awkwardly. By now he would have realized that she had stood him up this past weekend. Maybe he even knew she’d used him to get to Jongin. 

Brightly smiling, he asked, “Are you here for Jongin?”

At the sound of his name Namjoo’s head automatically jerked up. Then catching herself muttered, “Oh…um…”

“I think he already left. He didn’t tell you?”

“Left?” Namjoo raised a brow and watched him nod to confirm it.

“I know he left early. He didn’t go find you?”

Already left… Namjoo let it soak in.

“Then, did you eat? Should we go get something to eat?” his voice broke into her thoughts. When Namjoo looked up Chanyeol already turned to lead the way. With no choice she lugged herself after him.

~~~~~

Another day spent with Namjoo was what he’d planned. Well, that had been the plan until he stepped off campus to find a woman with dark shades in an expensive dress glancing around curiously. The clutch in her hands appeared fresh and new – one of the latest designs yet to be released in stores, one she must have received specially from its designer. Long black hair streamed down her back in bouncy curls, her pose, her aura all noting that she was out of place.

The students passing by stared at her in admiration, whispering among themselves. Their jeans and casual tees making them appear dull in her sight. A sense of shame and embarrassment warped through Jongin as he watched.

Who the hell was she?

As the thought clicked into his head the woman turned, their eyes meeting through her dark shades. Her black pumps loudly clapped against the sidewalk as she calmly walked toward him, coming to a pause in front of him. With the heels on she nearly reached his head. Then pulling her shades off she smiled cunningly and extended her hand.

“Kim Jongin?”

He glanced at the silken smooth hand and the decorated nails before looking back up at her questionably.

“Goo Yeji,” she introduced herself, continuing to smile femininely. “We were supposed to meet this past weekend.”

Struck, Jongin merely stared.

“If you have time, why don’t we go get some tea?” she suggested.

“Actually, I…”

“It’s improper to make a woman wait,” she icily stated before stepping off the sidewalk – a signal that he had no choice. Opening the car door she gestured her head toward it, “Get in.”

The drive was silent, near awkward but Yeji controlled it quite well with her strong force behind the wheel. On a part she reminded him of his persistent father who loved to keep duties in line. And it seemed true that both the Chairman and Yeji weren’t happy about his no-show that weekend. That was the least of Jongin’s worries.

He wanted to go to Namjoo, call her, and let her know he was most likely going to arrive late. The second he pulled out his phone she coldly told him, “I don’t like it when others pull out their phones in front of me. I believe it’s distracting, so while you’re with me, please put it away.”

With no option to rebel against her, Jongin tucked it back into his jacket. Right now he was under explicit control, and it didn’t seem like he was capable of retaliating.

Minutes later they arrived at a simple beverage shop where they sat at a window seat after she ordered her tea. When he’d told her he didn’t want anything she’d gone right ahead and ordered him a smoothie. Unable to sigh he flopped into his seat without touching his drink.

“I was hoping to meet you this weekend,” she began without waiting for him to say anything. “I’ve heard a lot of good things about you from my father. You know Chairman Goo, don’t you? He’s had numerous partnership deals with your father’s corporation.”

Chairman Goo, owner of J.K. Constructions had built numerous of his father’s famous shopping malls throughout the country. Jongin had met him on several occasions, especially when the man had come to their home to visit his bedridden father. Having been forced to be on standby, Jongin had listened to their business talks more than just a few times.

“I know.” Jongin murmured.

The female firmly smiled and said, “Our fathers would very much like to keep their bond alive, even after your father passes, so they hope you and I can meet. You’re clear what this means, don’t you?”

“I know.” He replied without much feeling.

“As my father’s only daughter, I’d like to make their promise come true. You don’t seem that bad, so lets get to know each other. Even though I’m five years older, I think we can make this work out.”

“I’m sorry but,” he finally looked at her, “I have a girlfriend.”

Her expression blanked before she laughed without an ounce of belief. “A girlfriend?”

“Don’t laugh.” He unhappily warned.

“Alright, I’m sorry,” she insincerely apologized. “Of course, I understand that since we’re due to get married you’d want to have some fun. Go ahead, I don’t mind.”

“I’m not having fun,” he seriously stated, “I’m serious. I like her, so don’t take it like a joke. I’m not interested in you.”

The laugh in her eyes died out within a split second. Yeji looked threatening, almost like a snake ready to bite. “If you want to put it that way, but I will warn you with something. You don’t know her, but she knows everything about you because your father makes headlines. Go ahead and fall in love, but be one-hundred-percent confident that she loves you for who you are, like you love her for who she is. Or else in the end, you’re going to end up with a non-existent wedding like I did.” She grabbed her clutch and prepared to leave, “Anyway, I know we’ll still see each other after this. At our next date, make it or else your girlfriend will be very sorry. My father can be pretty scary.”

Her perfume lingered as she brushed past. An array of discontent began filling Jongin’s lungs as he continued to sit there by himself.

~~~~~

“You must be hungry,” Chanyeol commented as Namjoo shamelessly gobbled up the food on the tray. “Have some more.”

She watched him push another basket of a cheeseburger and fries toward her. “You’re not going to eat?”

“This is mine,” he tapped onto his tray. “Was work busy today?”

“It was so-so,” Namjoo replied munching deliciously on her food. After eating up the rest of the burgers on her tray she leaned back into her chair and listened to him laugh amused.

“You sure have an appetite,” he said then went on, “you must have been looking forward to seeing Jongin, seeing how you’ve been waiting for him. Should I knock him on the head for making you wait the next time I see him?”

Namjoo glanced up at him uncertain how to react and awkwardly smiled.

“Actually,” Chanyeol leaned forward with an air of simple kindness flowing off him, “Jongin admitted he was with you this Saturday.”

“I should apologize too.” She quietly murmured.

“No, no,” he shook his head. “It’s totally alright.” Smiling widely he said, “Jongin’s been keeping his head low around me. I know he still feels guilty, even after I told him not to. I’m glad I ran into you too, because I wasn’t sure whether coming to look for you would make you uncomfortable.”

“Of course not…”

“That’s good to hear. I suppose we can still be friends?” he asked.

“Of course,” she nodded.

“Good,” he grinned. “Then you tell Jongin too, that as long as he treats you right it doesn’t matter to me whether you two are dating or not. Actually, should I let you in on something?”

Raising her brow, “What is it?”

“Despite Jongin’s dating history,” Chanyeol told, “you’re probably the first girl he’s made the decision to date.”

Namjoo blinked. “What do you mean?”

Honestly she didn’t care how many girls Jongin had dated before. All that really mattered to her was the future with him, along with the string of cash.

“I’m saying his father set him up on a few blind dates, so he might have gone out with some girls out of pressure and duty, but he’s never dated on his own accord. This is the first time he’s happy to be dating. I mean, I’ve known him for some time, so when I look at him I can see that he’s really happy,” Chanyeol explained. “And I’m happy to finally see him this way. This might be the only time he’s experiencing something like that again since his sister died. Knowing someone like Jongin, it means a hell lot to him, so I’m really grateful that you appeared in his life.” 


***The official third party on Jongin's side: Goo Yeji! Kyung's not a real threat yet, so there's no worry there. 

***And yes, 'braking' not breaking because Jongin is managing to stop Namjoo's one-sided control over their relationship by being sincere with her and making her insides flutter. And he's also trying to curb the power his father and Yeji have on him by making a point of his feelings and making a stand of his relationship. We'll see how far he does get. But for now, Namjoo doesn't even really like him yet. Onwards to the next chapter!