The Weight of His Heart

Next Stop, You

Catching herself she looked away stuttering, “Shouldn’t you…b…be going home?”

“Do you want me to leave?”

Namjoo quickly turned to look at him, immediately assuming she had sounded so. She hesitated to speak when their eyes locked and looked away, abashed.

Pulling a smile on he leaned back against the sofa. “I…don’t want to go home.”

He sounded somber and melancholic, all of which was surprising coming from him. Namjoo had somehow thought he had a cheery, energetic demeanor like Chanyeol. Had she walked into a dark pit instead?

She glanced at him. “Why?”

“All I’ll hear about is the company.”

Namjoo blinked, confused. “Aren’t you studying business?”

“I am.”

“Then…after you graduate, what are you going to do?”

“Inherit the company. I’ve been told to do nothing but that.” He confessed. She didn’t miss the desolation in his tone.

Namjoo honestly didn’t get it. Getting the company would mean getting millions of net worth each month. Was that not good enough? What was she missing? How could Jongin not want something that everybody would die for?

If without the company he would be as useless to her as Chanyeol was.

“What?” he asked and she realized she’d been staring.

Quickly averting her eyes she awkwardly smiled and moved her shoulders. “Nothing,” she lied, “I was just wondering…if you don’t want the company, what do you want to do?”

Jongin smiled childishly. “I don’t know. I wasn’t given the chance to think about it before.”

There was something in the way he smiled that shone sadness. Namjoo felt pity for him.

“Then,” she continued, “I’ll give you the chance to think about it now.”

He glanced at her and brightened up with a grateful smile. Namjoo automatically smiled in reply.

“Lets see,” he glanced up, lost in thought, “maybe a travel agent. I want to travel and see the world, how people make their living across the continents, and marvel in how different each one of them is different from us. I think it’s really interesting. Or maybe I want to be an anthropologist. Live among a group of indigenous peoples, do what they do in order to understand their way of survival. Or maybe I want to…”

Namjoo didn’t know how much time she spent listening to him tell her about all the dreams he’d kept to himself, the things that interested him no one cared enough to ask him about. The glow in his eyes as he spoke about the dreams to be forever buried after graduation, were as bright as day; like stars in the sky, unreachable.

And she thought that he, too, was very much like her, someone whose desires were never noticed.

~~~~~

They talked for a long period of the night. When the clock struck 6AM he decided to leave, and on a happy note, after promising he would be there to see her at work.

The house was quiet as he made his way in. Not a single cell in his body felt tired. He was brewing with happiness; a night well spent the way he liked. All he could think about was Namjoo, her smile, and the rosy smell flowing off her skin as he kissed her. And he wanted to do it again.

Setting his backpack down at his desk he began going through his drawer for something to change into. Within a few hours he would have to be back on campus for class. The knock at the door surprised him and turning around recognized the familiar figure of his mother walking in.

“You’re home?” she greeted.

“Yes.”

“Your father was waiting so long for you,” she quietly told. That he knew. “Where were you?”

He didn’t hesitate, “I was at my girlfriend’s.”

There was a sullen silence and he felt guilty for speaking rashly.

Turning to see the woman staring, waiting he went on, “We didn’t do what you’re thinking. You don’t have to worry.” 

“Still,” she pressed on, “it’s not proper. You two aren’t married and you’re spending the night at her place already? Does she live alone?”

“Mom.” He frowned and tried not to let irritation get the best of him. He knew she was just worried, but he couldn’t help but feel that she was on his father’s side.

“Jongin,” she softly continued, “I don’t mind that you’re dating, but try to come home earlier. I am glad, really, that you have someone you like. Alright, I won’t bother you. Go on and rest.”

He watched her turn around and called out, “Mom.” After she turned around he asked, “What does dad want to say to her this weekend?”

She shook her head, “I’m not really sure. Did you talk to her about it?”

“I will.” He answered. The woman gave him a last nod before turning to go. Once the door closed he heaved a sigh.

~~~~~

“Namjoo, someone’s here for you,” a co-worker poked his head into the back.

She was tired, exhausted from staying up with Jongin. For the nth time she yawned and wondered if Jongin was already here for her. On the other side of the counter she spotted Kyung with his shoulder bag linked around his broad shoulder. Too tired to even feel irritated with his show she grabbed a rag and the spray before walking out from behind the counter.

“What are you doing here?” she asked yawning. Stopping at a random table she sprayed the formula out and began scrubbing weightlessly without effort.

“What’s wrong?” he sounded concerned. “You look like you didn’t get any sleep.”

“Why did you come?” Namjoo mumbled. “Don’t you have class or something?”

“I wanted to see you,” he sat down into the chair in front of her. “It’s difficult trying to see you these days.”

Namjoo avoided looking at him. “So you saw me. You can go back to studying now.”

“I heard you wanted to introduce that guy to Joohwan.”

Pausing at the mention of Jongin she recalled his kiss before resuming scrubbing again. “So?”

“Namjoo…” he whined. “Why would you?”

“Is that why you came? To pester me about it?”

He sighed, “When are you done? I want to have dinner with you.”

“I have plans.”

“Plans? Since when do you have plans?”

“Since yesterday.”

“With him?” Kyung interrogated. “When are you done? Have dinner with me instead. I want to talk to you.”

Slapping the rag down Namjoo looked at him, “Then, do you want to meet him?”

“What?” he questioned flabbergasted.

“So, do you?” she pressed on.

Kyung stared back at her. “Fine, I want to see how good he is – this guy you’re playing with.”

~~~~~

“Boy, you look awfully tired,” Chanyeol noted when they met after class. “What’s up with you? I heard you ditched Namjoo yesterday. Where’d you go?”

“I guess I look exhausted, huh?” Jongin asked and listened to Chanyeol snort as he turned away. “I met Chairman Goo’s daughter yesterday.”

Chanyeol raised his brow. “Are you in trouble?”

Jongin shrugged, “Probably am. Seems like when I’m happy, no one else is.”

“Hey,” Chanyeol called stopping him, “I’m happy you’re happy.”

Jongin smiled gratefully.

“You know, if you ever need help let me know,” Chanyeol offered.

“I’ll keep that in mind,” Jongin promised. “I gotta go now. Promised Namjoo I’ll meet her today.”

“Guess you should,” Chanyeol said and waved as he ran off.

Namjoo was on the phone at the counter scribbling down an order when he walked in. He waited for her to first notice him. When she did he happily grinned and waved gesturing that he would be waiting for her outside. About ten minutes later Namjoo walked out and he rose to his feet from where he’d been sitting in front of a tree in the center of the walkway.

“Hi,” he greeted and reached for her hand, gripping onto it then gently pulled her close to his side. “You look tired.”

“You do too.” She noted and they both laughed.

“You must be hungry now. I’ll take you to eat something good,” he offered.

“You didn’t eat yet?” she wondered.

“I was waiting to eat with you.” He became even more electrified with giddiness when she held his arm with her free hand.

“Say,” she began, “you remember I told you about my younger brother’s friend, Kyung? He’s the one who sometimes leaves things hanging on my door.”

He searched his memory and nodded. “I do. Why?”

“Is it ok if we have lunch with him?” she asked. “He visited earlier; I told him we could eat with him.”

“I don’t mind. I’d like to meet him too,” Jongin smiled.

~~~~~

Minutes later Namjoo watched Kyung stare at Jongin with contradiction and obvious animosity. She decided she should have sat in front of Kyung instead but Jongin had insisted he wanted to. Now across from each other at a white window table after making their orders she listened to the chatter fill up around them.

“It’s nice to meet you, I’m Jongin,” he lightheartedly introduced himself with the extension of his hand in wait of Kyung’s shake. After ten seconds when Kyung chose not to Jongin drew his hand back and smiled to ward off the pending awkwardness.

Namjoo narrowed her eyes at Kyung, wondering what he was up to. There was practically no reason for him to be so rude to Jongin but speaking up to scold him would only make it more awkward.  

“Namjoo told me a lot about you,” Jongin went on.

“Did she?” Kyung glanced at her then turned back to Jongin. “Then you must know that I grew up with her and we’re very close.”

The urge to roll her eyes at his ridiculousness became very strong.

“Is that so?” Jongin continued to smile naively.

“Yes,” Kyung stiffly stated.

Breaking in Namjoo added, “Kyung went to school with my younger brother and they became best friends, so he’s like another younger brother to me too.”

“Of course,” Kyung smiled purposefully and glanced at her, “and I was always the one who helped Namjoo get around. Without me, she had no one else to rely on.”

Jongin glanced at her and Namjoo broke out into another nervous laugh. “So you remember.”

“I always remember the times we spend together.” Kyung mused with the raise of his brow. “You had no one else but me.”

Namjoo bit down on her tongue then turned to Jongin, “I told you he’s a great friend. He helped my younger brother and I a lot. I’m very thankful for him.”

She shot Kyung a glance when Jongin slipped an arm around her chair and asked him, “I heard you’re in university. What are you studying?”

“Law,” Kyung confidently answered. “I heard lawyers get paid a lot,” he eyed her, “so I want to become a lawyer and better help others.”

“That sounds great,” Jongin complimented.

“And you?”

“I’m studying business management,” he replied. “I’ll be done soon.”

“Then…you’ll be working business.”

Jongin nodded. “I’ll be joining my father’s business.”

“Ah…your father owns a company?” Kyung further raised his brow and Namjoo grew anxious.

Leaning forward she purposefully spoke loudly, “I wonder where our food is? I’m so hungry.”

A surprise cry bellowed from her lips when Kyung kicked her from under the table. Noticing her little jolt Jongin worried, “Is something wrong?”

“No, of course not,” she lied.

“I’m going to the restroom for a bit, I’ll be back,” he said before leaving the table.

As soon as he was out of earshot Kyung leaned forward. “A company, huh? Is that what you’re after?”

“Watch what you’re saying,” Namjoo hissed quietly. “I like him and he likes me. End of story.”

He scoffed, “You expect me to believe you? His wallet must be thick!”

“Kyung!”

“Am I not seeing through you? I told you I know you better than anyone else, Namjoo,” Kyung warned, “but I think of you, so I won’t embarrass you. End it with him. You won’t get far if you only like his money.”

She glared at him. “Say what you want.”

“I will,” he nodded and breathed harder, “but know that lies don’t get you far, Namjoo. I told you, if you wait just a while, I, too, can give you the money you need. I can do everything for you that he can, and I’ll do it because I like you for who you are, knowing who you are.” He held her eyes intensely, “Even if I know all you want is money. But him? You don’t know what he’ll do when he finds out all you love is his money and not the person he is.”

Kyung glanced behind him when Jongin walked out of the restroom and slid his chair back to stand. As Jongin neared he excused, “Looks like something came up at home, so I’ll have to be leaving first. It was nice meeting you, Jongin.” Then turning to look at her, “Joohwan and I will visit when he’s free. Remember to take care of yourself.”

Then he turned to head toward the counter to request his food to be taken out. Namjoo’s eyes sat hard on his back before Jongin slid into the seat next to her.

“You sad he’s leaving?” Jongin wondered, leaning over and playfully nudged her with his arm. “He seems like a great guy.”

Firmly gluing her lips together she smiled.

That evening when she returned home she couldn’t sleep. Kyung’s words ran rounds inside her head and she could see Jongin’s sweet and soft smile becoming more vivid in her memory. Kicking her legs around frustrated with herself she walked out of her bed and toward the window in the living room. Sliding it open she crossed her arms and leaned against it, poking her head out to breathe in the night air.

Namjoo barely emptied her thoughts out when her phone began ringing and turned around to pick it up.

It was Jongin.

“I can’t sleep,” he said. “Are you awake?”

Leaning against the wall Namjoo glanced at the window, longing to be out there somewhere in the world. “I can’t sleep either.”

“Come down for some fresh air.”

She raised her brow and looked at her door. Was he on the other side of it? Walking toward the door she opened it to find no one.

“What are talking about?” she asked.

“Now, walk to the elevator,” he directed. Frowning, Namjoo still did as directed. “Then press the button to the lobby.”

“What are you up to?” the corners of her lips were starting to pull up. The doors opened to the lobby a few minutes later. “Now what?”

“To the doors you go,” he said. Following his directions she started toward the automatic doors and broke out into a breathless smile, hanging up, and letting her arm dangle at her side. Across the street right in front of her was Jongin, leaning against his car handsomely, waiting for her. With phone in hand he raised an arm up to wave at her, smiling merrily.

Namjoo bit her lower lip as her grin grew wider and waited for a car to pass before crossing the street toward him. Then finally stopping in front of him asked, “What are you doing?”

“I missed you,” he said, placing a hand atop her head as he stared down at her. “So I wanted to come see you.”  

Namjoo’s heart uncontrollably fluttered from the weight of his hand before he leaned in to pull her into his embrace.