The Target

Next Stop, You

~~~~~

“Who?” Jongin perked up and turned around to see the female quickly turn her back to him. He frowned before turning back to Chanyeol. “What girl?”

“I think she’s been looking at me,” his friend shyly smiled with knuckles up against his chin. “She keeps looking over here.”

Jongin burst out with a laugh. “You think? Why don’t you go talk to her? You said she was at the economic club’s fundraising thing.”

“Should I?” Chanyeol raised his brow then set his fork down. “I bet you I can get her number along with name and address.”

“I’ll give you fifty bucks if she lets you walk her home,” Jongin said.

“You’re on,” Chanyeol proclaimed then slid his chair back and stood up.

~~~~~

“I think…you’ve been caught staring,” Naeun mumbled with eyes over her shoulder. Namjoo felt her brows twitch and glanced back her to see the tall guy – the one who had talked to her earlier – headed her way.

Abruptly turning back to her friend Namjoo panicked, “Wh…what do I do?”

“I don’t know, but I need to get studying. Bye,” she shot her a smile and slid out of her seat after giving Chanyeol a silent nod and disappeared out the door.

She should leave too. Deciding to leave her food unfinished Namjoo swiveled in her seat to stand up but found herself looking up into the tall guy’s face. Breaking out into an awkward smile Namjoo embarrassingly forced herself to greet him. “Uh…um…hi.”

“It looks like your friend just left,” he noted. “Can I sit down?”

No, she mentally stated but nodded and watched him slide into Naeun’s seat. Namjoo felt like face-palming herself. Awkward, Namjoo grabbed her cup of soda and sipped on the straw looking around wearily. Suddenly all the noise around her became more vivid. She grew tense.

“I saw you earlier, remember?” he asked. “My name’s Park Chanyeol. What about you?”

Namjoo felt her insides shrivel up. She wasn’t prepared to be chatting up a guy right now. Quietly she replied, “K…Kim Namjoo.”

Chanyeol gently smiled in return. “Then…I can call you Namjoo right?”

She slowly nodded.

“Namjoo,” he breathed then giddily smiled breathlessly, “your name sounds nice. Are you from around here?”

“Y…yes.”

“Really? Do you attend Seoul National? You were at the event earlier,” he reminded.

Namjoo shook her head, “I…I just went to go have a look with a friend.”

“Oh? If you don’t go to Seoul National then where do you go?”

He was nosy she decided. The questions were typical but they were also the kind of repetitive questions she’d received majority of her life. What school do you go to? Who are your parents?

Anyhow, why should she be embarrassed? There was nothing to be embarrassed about. She’d done more than her share of being responsible, growing up and raising her brother to be a good man. More than anyone else, she had become as old as a grandma in the span of thirteen years mentality-wise. Compared to him, she might as well be his mother.

Shaking off her awkwardness she uprightly told him, “I work. I don’t go to school.”

“You work?” he repeated surprised. “Can I ask where?”

Deciding that there was no harm sharing information she answered, “Mr. Pizza.”

“Wow, a pizza place?” he asked.

Namjoo stared back not humored. “Look, I think I have to go. It’s late.” Standing to her feet she said, “It was nice meeting you, um…Chanyeol.”

Shooting up from his seat as fast as a bullet surprising her, he went on, “Then…since it is late, how about you give me your number? I’d like to know that you got home safe.”

Seriously, did he think she was stupid? To be giving her number out to a random man she just met? Namjoo could have scoffed but forced herself to calm down and smile innocently instead.

“Sorry but I don’t have a phone,” Namjoo said.

“Ah…” he couldn’t hide the disappointment and surprise in his voice. “How about I walk you home? It is dark after all, and it’s not safe for a girl to be out alone at this time of night.”

It was barely eight. Namjoo stared at him blankly more turned off by the second. She was caught off guard when he called to his friend, “Jongin, are you done? I’m going to leave first.”

Attention caught, Namjoo swiftly turned to see the guy in the green shirt Naeun had pointed out earlier, look at them from his seat. First, her breath caught in . Second, she stared. Next, she sunk in how handsome he was and felt a light go on above her head.

“I can come with you, I’m bored anyway and I don’t want to go home yet,” he said then chugged the rest of his water before standing up. Trying not to be obvious, Namjoo stared from the side and found him towering over her.

“Namjoo?” Chanyeol called for her and she turned to find him already pushing the door open.

Right, she reminded herself, they were going to walk her home. Just what kind of luck was she having tonight to be walked home? Chanyeol was over-exaggerating but declining now would turn the opportunity to waste and Namjoo never wasted opportunities.

Heading out she led them down the road under the streetlights. It was barely dark and light still streaked the sky. Namjoo found herself walking right beside Chanyeol, finding that her head only reached his shoulder. Jongin walked alongside his friend silently on the other side to her disappointment. The only thing Namjoo wondered about was him.

In her head Naeun’s voice went around in circles.

“Someone even started saying that since he’s the only son, he’ll most likely inherit the company along with the millions of dollars his father has made.”

Inherit millions…and a company which could generate millions more…

That didn’t sound very bad at all. Something sparked inside Namjoo’s head and she suddenly found it very attractive; money and the source which she could get endless money from.

From the corner of her eye she glanced at Jongin again before waking up when Chanyeol waved his hand in front of her eyes. Ugh…he was rude, she thought, for interrupting her.

Feigning a smile she asked, “Yes? What was that?”

“You said you work at Mr. Pizza?” he wondered.

“Of course.” She nodded.

“How about I order a pizza tomorrow and you come have lunch with me?” he asked.

“What?” she frowned at the absurd invitation.

“Is it a bad idea?” he wondered.

Namjoo quickly calculated it through her mind. Well, if she met Jongin again it might not be so bad. Then another idea popped up in her head. If Chanyeol liked her she could use him as an excuse to hang around Jongin, and when that happened she would try for his heart. Men, she knew, were easily swayed by women. These guys didn’t seem any more different than those she’d encountered. And if she could vie for Jongin’s attention she would be good to him until she got married.

Namjoo was confident she could play her cards right. After all she’d been through if not for her brain, she wouldn’t have survived. Neither would her brother.

“Of course not,” she shook her head. “Just make a call and I’ll make the delivery.”

After they turned the next block she pointed to her hostel, “This is where I live.”

The two glanced up at the structure. Chanyeol commented, “It’s not very far from campus.”

Namjoo smiled, “It isn’t. Well, thanks for walking me back. Sorry for taking up your time.”

“See you tomorrow, Namjoo,” Chanyeol bid his farewell. Nodding, Namjoo shot Jongin one last glance then walked into the building with her brain firing up her plan to success.

~~~~~

“Well what do you know,” Chanyeol murmured, “I actually find her cute.”

Jongin scoffed from beside him, “I guess she is.” And felt Chanyeol slap his chest.

“Money,” Chanyeol claimed. “I won the bet.”

“What bet.”

The giant friend gestured his head toward the hostel. “Got her address.”

“You didn’t,” Jongin reiterated. “You don’t know which floor she lives on or her house number.” Sneakily smirking he said as he turned to walk away, “Good luck next time or should I say tomorrow?”

“Hey!” Chanyeol screamed after him.

~~~~~

Along with the bag of goods outside her door she discovered the note from her younger brother Joohwan’s friend Han Kyungmo, who had had a nasty crush on her since the time the two guys had been childhood buddies.

You weren’t in when I came by. I hope you’re eating on time and not skipping meals ~ Kyung

Namjoo scoffed but was still delighted at the gesture. Coming from a middle income family Kyung was able to study well at Hankook University after graduating proudly from high school. Now he was preparing to pass the bar exam to impress her.

“If I make a lot of money, will you come to me?” he had confessed to her during their high school ceremonial graduation. Namjoo found it cute but insanely hilarious. Kyung was no different than a second younger brother to her.  

The phone was ringing when she walked in and quickly headed toward the table to answer it. None other than her brother Joohwan was calling.

“Joohwan!” she gladly answered. “It’s late why aren’t you asleep? Did you and Inha argue again?”

“No,” the gentle voice so very like her mother’s replied, “Kyung said he stopped by earlier.”

Namjoo grinned and rolled her eyes, “I just got in.”

“Namjoo, why don’t you just date him? I know he’ll be really good to you, plus his family is well off.”

Here we go again, Namjoo silently thought then said, “I know. How was work today? Did you go see the doctor again? What did they say? Can Inha get pregnant?”

“They just said it might take some time. Namjoo,” he called with gentleness in his voice, “are you doing well? I’m sorry I haven’t been calling. And I’m sorry all we could do was buy you that measly place. I promise that once it gets better, I’ll buy you a better apartment.”

“Save up for my future niece or nephew. You don’t need to worry about me,” she assured. “I’d really like to see that kiddo.”

“Namjoo,” he sadly called, “I’m always sorry to you.”

She laughed, “What are you talking about? Alright, since it’s late go sleep. Inha must be waiting for you. Talk to you again. Good night.”

Hanging up Namjoo set her cell phone down and slid down to sit. Looking throughout her blue room she found herself sadly smiling. At ten-years-old she had stood by with her eight-year-old brother witnessing as the elders persuaded her mother to remarry but upon the condition that she had to leave her children behind. Ten-year-old Namjoo had clung onto her mother begging and pleading with the elders who held her back that day when that rich man came to pick up her mother. They spent two years in the home of her rude aunt who neglected them until she made the decision to leave. With nowhere to go and with so many people refusing to let a twelve-year-old work for them Namjoo took them to an orphanage where they admitted themselves. When it came to the point that she and Joohwan were almost separated by a couple who wanted him, they ran off again.

Now it was over. Feeding, clothing, and making sure Joohwan went through high school and attended a small local university had been enough for her. Now he was married to Kyung’s childhood friend Nam Inha and living the good life. Namjoo always felt proud when she thought of the brother she raised. And now she would start climbing the ladder.

“Kim Jongin,” she said the name aloud and happily rose to her feet walking toward the bathroom.

~~~~~

Namjoo found herself racing off toward the university again the next afternoon and this time in a clearer and happier mood. Chanyeol had requested to the manager over the phone while giving his order that she be the one to make the delivery, so here she was again. Running along the campus ground didn’t seem so difficult this time and she found the school of business within ten minutes.

Catching her breath she plopped down onto the top of the stairs while waiting for Chanyeol to get out of his class and come for her. And next, she would make everything work out so she had Jongin in the palm of her hands. The thought made her laugh to herself.

She spent the next five minutes or so watching as students walked up and down the flight of stairs. Every one of them appeared busy and absentminded. Feeling slightly awkward she clutched onto the pizza bag and waited.

“You waiting for Chanyeol?” a voice asked from behind. When she turned she discovered Jongin sitting down beside her.

Namjoo tried not to let that obvious smile climb onto her face. Things were starting to move much quicker than she imagined. Innocently, she nodded.

“His class hasn’t ended yet,” Jongin explained then glanced down at the pizza bag sitting on her lap then laughed. “I can’t believe he really kept his word.”

Namjoo glanced down and quickly ped the bag to pull the box out. “Are you hungry?”

Without waiting for his answer she opened the box and carefully pulled out a piece. Handing it to him impulsively to leave him no choice but to accept it, she said, “Fresh from the oven.”

He glanced at the bread then to her with a smile before accepting it. As he bit into it Namjoo felt her brow go up discreetly when a sudden thought hit her. Pulling out a piece for herself she bit into it while urging the hanging piece of cheese at the end to fall off. When it didn’t she blew at it before subtly chewing it off. From the corner of her eye she confirmed that Jongin's attention was solely on the pizza.

Perfect.

Swiftly pulling the piece of cheese she quickly dropped it onto his leg and let out a shout, “Oh my! I’m so sorry!” and quickly swept the grease off his thigh with her hands being careful to brush it gently with her fingers.

When she glanced up to find him looking at her Namjoo played shy and shrunk.

“I…I’m sorry,” she intentionally stuttered.

“Oh…it’s fine,” he said and moved his leg an inch away from her.

Namjoo bit her lower lip, wondering if she had agitated him or if she had made him shy. She pleaded that he was shy.

“I guess I am hungry,” he commented. “You mind if I have another piece of Chanyeol’s pizza? I don’t think he’d mind if a friend eats it.”

“Sure!” Namjoo gladly opened the box and felt him lean over to grab a piece for himself. If she were to vie for his attention she would have to do more than this, she realized, as he moved away to eat. Staring at him from the corner of her eye she bit her tongue while thinking about what to say next.

“I heard your father’s sick,” Namjoo spoke up and watched him look at her.

Yes! her insides screamed, keep looking at me.

“S…sorry,” she apologized. “It’s just…I heard my friend say it.”

“Oh,” he smiled kindly. “Well, it’s true. My father is bedridden now, after a . It’s been in the news too, so pretty much everyone knows about it.”

“Really?” she asked. “Sorry for bringing it up.”

Jongin shook his head, “I don’t mind. What I do mind is people who try to avoid the subject and act like I’m pitiful. I really hate that.”

She nodded to show her understanding and observed him. He might have his downs but who didn’t? Namjoo knew how it was and how it went. People who were personally affected by a family issue would act less kindly to those who pitied them than to someone who understood them. If she used this to get closer to him, her plan might just work.

“Of course not,” she said. “You’re not pitiful at all.”

Jongin turned to look at her as if surprised before grinning with a kind of embarrassed but shy laugh. Namjoo laughed along with him before she felt someone squeeze between them, forcing her further off to the side.

“Don’t tell me you two are getting close in my absence,” Chanyeol sat down.

Namjoo’s insides rumbled and she tried not to groan at the interruption. The conversation with Jongin had been smooth, perfectly smooth!

“Well since you’re here, I should go.” Jongin stood to his feet then grinned handsomely at her. “Thanks for the pizza.”

Smiling, Namjoo nodded and watched intensely as Jongin walked away while Chanyeol chatted it off in her ear. Definitely, she promised, she would get him. 


*** xDD

***I'll go into more detail about Namjoo's past later but now I'll focus on KaiJoo 

***On a side note, the story about the mother who had to leave her children behind in order remarry after her husband died due to pressure is a true story. My mother heard it over the radio and I heard her talking over the phone about it. It's tear jerking.