Cutting Strings

Next Stop, You

Since their job-for-hire was still pending and their status unclear, she and Kyung left the firm for the day. Namjoo drove back home in the used car his mother never used anymore and, when in the sanctity of the apartment, she paced around with phone clutched in hand.

Jongin was purposely doing this to make situations worse for them. He just wanted to give them a hard time now that he knew they were back. He just wanted to get back at her for how she’d used him two years ago. Namjoo knew he was angry, she understood it but he didn’t need to go this far and take Kyung’s career down as well.

Kyung had been right from the beginning. She didn’t know Jongin. She had never truly seen him at the height of his anger. She believed was finally starting to experience it for the first time.

If she called him now she could put an end to everything officially, but because she’d left so abruptly two years ago nothing had ended cleanly. Now was the chance. Yet, she feared that if she called him now it would create a link neither of them would be very fond of, and he’d use it for his revenge.

There was no choice. She had to do this for Kyung. What did it matter what phone she used? Jongin had caught her that night already. It was too late to play hooky now.

Staring at her phone Namjoo turned it on. Among all the numbers she had listed in her new phone none of them were Jongin’s, but among all the numbers she had she knew his by heart. Deeply inhaling she dialed.

~~~~~

His phone rang. It was an unknown number. Swiping it off his desk he leaned back into his seat. “Kim Jongin speaking.”

“It’s me.”

Attention perked he sat straight up. He’d been ready for her.

“Lets meet.” Namjoo said. Her voice still so utterly familiar to his ears made his heart tremble with yearning. For two years she had deprived him of it. She had taken so many things from him.

After giving him a place and time she hung up.

Locked into the stage of disbelief he left his desk and walked over to the window to stare out at the city. Namjoo had called. He couldn’t get enough of that fact, even though he knew she’d only done it because she knew he was going to drag her into the company whatever it took, even if he had to bring Kyung with her.

“Namjoo,” he breathed out her name then exhaled a smile onto his face.

The company phone on his desk beeped and the receptionist’s voice came through. “Chairman, Miss Goo is on the line.”

Turning around unhappy at being interrupted from his thoughts, Jongin walked back to the desk and hit a button, “Tell her I’m busy and that I won’t be having lunch with her.” he paused then added, “Say that I have a date I can’t miss.”

Grabbing his jacket from where it hung in the corner he walked out. A short drive brought him to a local restaurant at the plaza where he was to meet Namjoo in the lobby café. As he walked in through the spinning doors he adjusted his jacket and wondered if his hair was still ok. Maybe he should have checked before walking further in. Now it was too late. The lobby was already in view.

His heart skipped beats uncomfortably. He was both anxious and nervous as if this was really a first date when it was nothing of that kind at all. Jongin worried about how he looked. Could he still compare to his looks two years ago? Had he gained weight and was it obvious? He should have chosen a better wardrobe for today he thought.

Jongin halted when the lobby came into direct view, the wall sized window offering a spectacular view of the backyard garden. The sun coming in beamed glamorously onto the cushioned seats and round tables in the center. The scent of fresh coffee and pastry filled the air, the chatter soft and private, everyone engaged in their own affair.

In front of him he recognized a familiarly shaped head. A woman sipping coffee calmly with her long red-tinted hair tied back into a high ponytail. For a second he even doubted this was Namjoo but as he neared he realized he wasn’t wrong at all. Those eyes glanced up at him and he felt the world spin on its axis. His heart pounded. She was still mesmerizing and it was unfair.

She placed her cup of black coffee onto the table as he sat then looked at him brazenly in the eyes. Her greeting was stoic and cool as ever. “It’s been a while.”

His chest tightened as he stared. Namjoo looked as beautiful as ever. He could easily tell she’d lost some weight, her hair was longer, cheekbones sharper, she was poised, her fashion more professional and stylish. She was his same person but at the same time, someone else. He wanted to deny what he saw. Namjoo still existed. His Namjoo hadn’t died that night.

“I want to talk about Kyung.” Namjoo didn’t waste time beating around the bush. “I know what happened between us wasn’t a good one, but if you want to fight it out, leave Kyung alone.”

He tightened his hand into a fist underneath the table. He’d expected this but to hear her say it like he didn’t matter at all, like he was the villain made him angry. Why wasn’t she talking about him instead?! Kyung this, Kyung that!

“I thought about it and I realize I shouldn’t have left like that. It’s my fault for leaving a gray line behind.” Namjoo said. “Lets end this, Jongin. Lets get a divorce.”

His heart lurched. He would have imagined anything else, but a divorce?! Something exploded inside him but he refused to let it seep it the surface. Heat boiled, threatening to bubble over. So after all, this was all he was worth. A sheet of paper and some money. After getting what she needed, he meant nothing did he?

“Tomorrow at two, I’ll wait for you in front of the courthouse.” Namjoo finished. “Then you and I won’t have anything to do with each other anymore. You’ll be rid of me and you can go live your life. Go cleanly and get married to someone better.” Namjoo let a moment of silence drift between them and when she decided he wouldn’t say anything she got up, “I’ll go now, so you can get back to work.”

Grabbing the clutch from beside her she rose and walked out, her short heels clacking against the floors as she walked away. When she disappeared around the corner he turned with a hard frown and rose up to follow. A divorce. So now she wanted a divorce?! After messing with him and his life she thought a divorce would cleanly finish everything up?!

No, she was wrong. He wasn’t going to let it go. Namjoo owed him. What had been taken from him, she first needed to return it. The parts of him he’d lost, the happiness in his home, and the two years he spent grieving for someone who’d been alive.

Stopping out front he watched her get into her car dumbfounded and shocked that Namjoo had learned to drive and now had her own car. Quickly making for his vehicle he turned the engine on and backed out of the lot, immediately cut off a car, and followed her down the road. He stuck close to her, wondering where she was headed.

After a long twenty minute drive Namjoo finally pulled into the parking lot of a large apartment complex and slowly drove after her. Namjoo parked correctly into an empty spot and got out, unaware of him. Jongin trained his eyes on her, watching closely as she walked in through the doors and disappeared inside. Then his eyes dove up the building she was now staying in.

Snatching his phone he dialed for President Song.

~~~~~

Swinging the door close Namjoo walked toward the fridge and poured herself a cold glass of water. Leaning her entire weight against the fridge she stared off into space before knocking her head back into the refrigerator. She hadn’t been able to see Jongin closely the other night but today she’d seen him up front just like she used to. And he was still the same. Breathtaking and eye catching. Just the way she remembered. Always throwing her off guard, taking her breath away, and leaving her awed with how fine a man he was.

A divorce.

It was the only thing she’d thought of on the drive to the plaza. What could end this go-lucky marriage that had turned into dust more perfectly than a divorce? She should have let him go two years ago officially instead of disappearing on him. Then Jongin could have moved on, gotten married to someone else and started the kind of family he always talked to her about.

Namjoo wouldn’t have chosen this road but there was no other choice. She and Jongin had nothing left. She had destroyed his illusion of happiness, she had hurt him, and she had lied. She had to start letting herself go, too. This in front of her was her new life and it was going to be hers in the future.

Tomorrow she would sign those papers and bid Jongin farewell forever.

She slept early and woke early. After signing the divorce papers she would go to the firm and talk to President Song that Jongin’s request was null.

After lunch she drove out immediately to the courthouse, arriving fifteen minutes early. She waited on the stairs in front of the building but thirty minutes later Jongin still hadn’t showed up. Stubbornly she waited for another ten minutes before finally calling him, only to no avail. Worry spread through her. Maybe he hadn’t heard her right yesterday.

Namjoo about dialed him again but her phone rang. It was a call from Kyung and his voice held urgency. “Namjoo, the contract fell through.”

“What?!” she spun around, eyes wide and alert.

“We need to move our stuff over today.”

“No!” Namjoo raised her voice and disregarded the stares she received. She was frantic. “I talked to him yesterday…”

“I don’t think there’s anything we can do right now,” Kyung sounded apologetic. “I’ll bring our stuff and meet you at the mall.”

Clamping her eyes shut frustrated, Namjoo turned and dashed down the stairs. The thought of working with Jongin – under Jongin made her feel queasy. There was something bad about this that didn’t come out right. He was picking on them and she knew he was doing it intentionally. Why else wouldn’t he have shown up today?

Racing down the road she arrived at the mall parking lot where she found Kyung by his car. “You’re here?”

Her eyes ran over the packed boxes with their work materials in his backseat. Her heart thrashed at the sudden reality. “No. Don’t go in.”

“Namjoo.” He frowned out of concern. “We’re instated today. We have no choice.”

She clasped a hand against her forehead. The thought of seeing Jongin everyday made her feel uneasy.

“I know you’re worried,” Kyung comforted, “but our department is far from his.”

“How far?” Namjoo rebutted with defiance. “Jongin owns this place. We’re working under him. How far is that from him?”

“I’m sorry,” Kyung apologized. “I wish it didn’t have to be like this. President Song says he’ll take us back when one of his lawyers retires. We just need to bear with this in the meantime.”

Namjoo bit her lower lip. There was nothing to be scared of but this feeling at the pit of her stomach had her on edge. What was Jongin up to?

~~~~~

A knock on the door had Jongin dropping his work. Secretary Hong poked his head in through the doorway. “They’re here.”

A sly smile climbed up onto his face and sliding out of his chair he walked toward the door. “Lets go greet them.”

“You seem highly enthusiastic about these new hires,” Secretary Hong commented as they walked into the elevator. “I think Miss Yeji will throw a fit when she finds out you’ve expanded the law department.”

“She might have a problem, but she can’t touch it,” Jongin gladly stated, eyes glued to the decreasing numbers above the doors. “Oh…about those papers piling up on my desk day after day, find a suitable secretary to file them into our system.”

“Won’t that that take a while?”

Jongin shot him a glance, warning him not to question him.

“All right. I’ll find someone.”

“No need.” Jongin said. “I have someone in mind.”

“Then why did you want me to find someone?” Secretary Hong wondered.

“Act like you’re doing it and bring her in.” Jongin impatiently instructed the nerd.

Secretary Hong remained silent for a few seconds then leaned in, “Who though?”

Jongin watched the doors open and his lips curved up. “Bring Attorney Han’s secretary in.”

“But she’s his secretary…”

Jongin shot him the eye again which immediately shut him up. Pulling on his suit jacket he stepped out of the lift and walked down the hallway, his eyes aiming for the quarter he’d specially made for Attorney Cha a year ago. For once, he was especially glad he’d fallen under Yeji’s persuasion to create a law department to handle affairs. Who would have thought that it would become his lucky card one day?

Miscellaneous noises became direct to his ears when he neared the open doorway. Entering he glanced through the office to spot Namjoo and Kyung at the back behind an overly large desk, unpacking their work supplies. She was wearing a fancy white blouse with blue pants, her hair neatly let down and held back by a pretty pin with rhinestones. Namjoo gave him no notice but looking at her was a satisfaction he couldn’t explain.

“Chairman,” Attorney Cha greeted, standing up from his desk by the wall. Jongin’s eyes darted to the lawyer whom Yeji had introduced to him when he’d been with Namjoo at the hotel on Haeundae beach. The mere thought of it sent his memory hurling back to the night he spent with Namjoo there and he turned to find her whirling around upon Attorney Cha’s voice.

His heart skipped beats but became swallowed by disappointment when she clasped her hands in front of her and lowered her head, refusing to look him in the eye.

“This is our Chairman,” Attorney Cha introduced. “Give him your greetings.”

Standing straight and tall beside Namjoo formally, Kyung bowed toward him. He spoke with form like they were strangers. “I’m Lawyer Han and this is Secretary Kim. We’re pleased to work with you.”

Jongin stared at them, a moment of silence weaving between them. Attorney Cha stepped forward with attention on him, “You didn’t need to come down. I’ve cleared space for them like you asked. Please don’t worry.” Ignoring him, Jongin let his eyes linger over Namjoo a while longer upset and angry with her.

So they didn’t know each other, was it? Fine, he would play this with her.

“Did something come up?” Attorney Cha wondered.

“No,” Jongin coldly replied then turned to leave. Secretary Hong curiously let his eyes prowl the room before quickly spinning around to follow his boss.

“It looks like they’re settling in well,” he innocently commented. “I wonder what it’ll be like working with a couple in our company.”

The comment made the bubbling anger in his chest overflow and Jongin angrily punched the elevator button with a finger. Namjoo and Kyung? No way in hell.

“I have somewhere to go,” Jongin said once he stepped into the elevator and pressed for the lobby. “Clean up the rest of the day for me.”

“Oh…ok.”

“And,” Jongin said, “get that secretarial notice out early tomorrow morning. If she isn’t there in my office tomorrow, consider your salary cut.”

“Yes, Chairman.” Obedient Secretary Hong nodded. Once the elevator opened Jongin walked down the lobby and out the front doors.

Two years ago when he contacted Joohwan apologetically about Namjoo’s death, spilled his guts out about kicking her out the young man had told him not to call anymore. Whether the brother had held a funeral or not, Jongin hadn’t been invited – at least that was what he believed. He was ever more curious about what had actually gone down. Why Namjoo was suddenly with Kyung, locked to his side and the rumors that she was his girlfriend.

The divorce she had asked for, did it have to do with Kyung?

Since the day he believed Namjoo had been burned to death, Jongin lived with guilt and shame. He’d sent flowers to the younger brother to express his condolences and apologies and had received them back every time. Kim Joohwan hated him, despised him for sending his sister off to her death. Because of that, Jongin had never had the courage to show up in front of the younger brother. The guilt that had plundered Jongin merely sent his soul to its grave.

Now, Jongin was sure the younger brother had known his sister was well alive and out there somewhere. Maybe hiding her from him for two years. What exactly happened during those two years – Jongin wanted to know everything. Why was Namjoo with Kyung of all people? She should have come back to him, plead and beg for forgiveness. She should have done that!

Jongin sped down the road and arrived at Joohwan’s work place. Walking into the building and up to the front desk he said, “I want to speak to Kim Joohwan.” Without giving her the chance to respond he added, “Tell him I’m Kim Jongin. I want to speak to him about his sister.”

Five minutes later he was sent down the hall and into Kim Joohwan’s office that smelled like air freshener – the scent of fresh laundry. The dim blue lit room had natural sunlight sparkling in from the overly large window behind the desk. It made Joohwan glow like some celestial being.

The younger brother looked the same as Jongin remembered when Namjoo first introduced them. And he recalled that immediate time the younger brother had shared with him the story how Namjoo carried him on her back for hours in the rain just to keep him alive; how the brother had asked him not to hurt Namjoo. The warning he had received that day had come to light.

The brother-in-law was not as welcoming as he had first been, didn’t even get up to greet him, but sat there behind his desk watching him with eagle eyes.

“Sit down,” Joohwan said without greeting.

Jongin sunk down into the stiff seat in front of the dark desk and stared at the younger brother who towered over his sister. Inside his head he could still hear his mother weeping for dead Namjoo – the abandoned sister. This brother was the same. Abandoned and wounded. Perhaps angrier that his sister had been kicked out coldly and that Jongin never once tried looking for her.

“What is it?” Joohwan asked. “If you want to talk about Namjoo, I don’t want to hear it. Please leave.”