The Start of a Scheme

Next Stop, You

~~~~~

 “You’re home early,” his mother greeted when he walked into the kitchen to grab a glass of water.

Sitting at the table with his short legs kicking in the air, Jaegeun grinned over at him. Starting toward him Jongin rubbed his head.

“Uncle, uncle,” he called, “eat cereal with me.”

“Sure,” he replied and turned at the sound of his mother’s voice.

“It’s ok if you come home late sometimes. Don’t you have friends to be with?”

“Chanyeol’s busy flirting, so I don’t want to be around him,” he replied.

“What’s flirting?” Jaegeun looked up at him with his big eyes.

Shortly laughing Jongin leaned down to explain, “It’s a method biggies use with each other.”

“Why?”

“Um…” he droned on while thinking, “because maybe a guy and a girl likes each other.”

Jaegun giggled gleefully, “Uncle flirt too?”

Breaking out into a laugh Jongin touched his head again and turned to see his mother watching them happily.

“Oh, that’s right,” she said, “Chairman Goo has been calling your father about setting you up with his daughter. You know she’s a little older than you but she’s not married yet and has experience with work and the company. Your father agrees that if you two get along and get married, it’ll be easier for you to run the company in the future.”

“Chairman Goo?” he raised a brow.

“Yes. Your father wants to talk to you about it today. What do you think?”

First, he gave his mother a silent smile before pulling the chair at the table out and sat down. Noticing the grease stain left by the cheese Namjoo had dropped on his pants he broke out into a short breathless smile, humored by the thought of it.

“Jongin?” his mother called.

Looking up he replied, “I’ll think about it.”

“Uncle gonna get a girlfriend?” Jaegeun seemed to shake in his chair due to his kicking legs.

“We’ll see.” Jongin smiled at him.

~~~~~

“Ugh,” Namjoo groaned dropping onto her twin bed after walking in.

Not only had Chanyeol finished the pizza he’d ordered but had talked nonstop. Namjoo had completely no interest in his life, so while pretending to listen with interest she began concocting the next plan to get Jongin. Only that too, had been interrupted by him when he suggested they go eat lunch off campus. Then afterward they had gone to the movies and although Namjoo didn’t dislike the food he bought her, it had all been a waste of time.

She would just have to work harder tomorrow. Skillfully throwing her hand behind her to grab the blanket she rolled over to wrap herself into a burrito for a nap.

~~~~~

“It’s going to rain today,” Soona, a co-worker said while wiping the table clean beside her.

Lifting her head up from arranging the chairs some teenagers had messed up during lunch Namjoo stared intensely at the gray clouds. Yesterday Chanyeol had told her he was going to the math office for homework which meant he wouldn’t be around when she showed up on campus, but Jongin would – only, she didn’t quite know his schedule. Was it worth getting drenched in the rain for a fifty-percent chance of seeing him?

Namjoo thought long and hard about it.

“What are you doing? The phone is ringing, go answer it,” Soona told.

“Yea, yea,” Namjoo mumbled walking away from the table toward the counter. “Hello, this is Mr. Pizza, what can I get for you?” as her hand moved for the pen and pad on instinct she found herself scribbling down the order while debating. Once she hung up she had decided it was worth the gamble.

What guy would turn away a girl waiting in the rain?

A grin grew over Namjoo’s face. She would make herself look two times more pitiful than usual. And well, if she didn’t run into Jongin she’d bring extra cash in order to grab a taxi back to the hostel. If today didn’t work she’d think of something tomorrow.

The second work hours ended Namjoo rushed out of the building into the pouring rain yelping when she realized it wasn’t warm but cold rain. Groaning, she picked up pace and made herself run faster. After a few turns she was on campus.

The space surrounding the business department was, to her luck, empty with no real earth. Not even a tree root could be spotted nearby. Namjoo was left shivering for a few minutes while deciding to wait at the bottom of staircase for Jongin to spot her or go hide under the pine tree forty yards away, but that would mean there was a seventy-percent chance Jongin would miss her.

The things she put herself through for him to notice her. Namjoo felt a smack to the head wouldn’t help put her straight. Since she was here there was no turning back.

Namjoo chewed her thumb jumping in spot, realizing that campus was nearly empty and the few students bustling about were all carrying umbrellas making her look like a fool. Darting to the brick building Namjoo huddled against it and waited. She almost gave up after ten minutes deciding she shouldn’t have to go through this, but then sighted Jongin rushing down the steps with his jacket over his head.

Aha! she victoriously pumped her fist into the air. He had no umbrella too which meant he might share his jacket with her.

Dashing toward the gray building she quickly shot Jongin, who was too busy making his way down to notice her, a glance before turning her back to him to look occupied herself. Raising her arm up she purposely looked at her watch then turned when he neared.

“Jongin!” she called. He turned to her surprised and stopped.

“What are you doing here?” he wondered. “Are you waiting for Chanyeol?”

“Oh…yea,” she nodded. “I thought he said we were going to meet, so I came over right after work.”

“He went to see his math tutor,” he told her then noticing that she was drenched raised his arm over her to hold his jacket above her. “I don’t think he’ll be finishing any time soon. Why don’t you go home first?”

“Ah…really?” Namjoo tried to sound disappointed while beaming about how they were sharing his jacket. “I guess I shouldn’t have come.”

He smiled at her, “I didn’t drive my car today, so I can’t send you back but your hostel is near here right? I’ll walk you home.”

Walk…her…home. Her insides shrieked victory and nodded. When they turned to go she relished in the fact that they were close, barely huddled together under his jacket and wondered if he was feeling anything. If she left an impact on him he would definitely think about her afterward.

Namjoo couldn’t believe this was really working in the direction of her planning. Amazing, she simply thought.

Like Chanyeol, he was tall and to an extent, perfect. Kyung was slightly taller but it was a big deal, because based on one criterion; Jongin had everything she ever wanted. And it was now or never to live the life desired.

Actually, Namjoo didn’t think it was a bad thing. She had given up her youth to raise her brother responsibly, making sure he got the care and affection she hadn’t been able to receive. Now that he was off and living his life on the good side she wanted what she never had. Home and money without worrying what would come her way.  

Shivering, Namjoo stole a glance up at Jongin to see that his arm had gotten partially soaked from covering her with majority of the jacket. Consideration for a woman was a basic act she knew most men would give. Jongin was just the typical kind to her expectations, and to think he was a university student. She smugly smiled to herself before they turned the block to her hostel where he walked her to the doors.

Shaking his jacket off he said, “Geez, it’s really pouring.”

“Do you want to come in?” Namjoo asked to which he looked at her surprised. “I mean, I have an umbrella you can use.”

He blinked hesitantly then looked at her again. A second later they were in the lift counting the numbers above the buttons on the way up. She could feel excitement pouring through her just like the heavy rain outside. Things were working to her advantage.

Once the doors to the lift opened they stepped out into the hallway and she led him toward her door, noting that he was observing everything.

“Sorry,” she apologized as she let him in, “it’s pretty small; probably not what you expect.”

“That’s not a problem,” he shook his head.

“Sit down. I’ll grab you a towel,” Namjoo offered and walked away to search through her closet where she always kept her freshly washed towels, silently thanking Joohwan for getting her more than she needed even though she had complained when he’d given them to her.

Walking back out she discovered him holding a picture of her and Joohwan as children. Beside the many others were their teenage and adult selves through the years – the only pictures she had.

“That’s my younger brother,” Namjoo caught his attention and handed him the towel.

“Sorry,” he placed the picture back down.

Namjoo offered a smile before walking toward the kitchen to grab him a fresh cup of water. “I raised him as we grew up.”

Jongin turned to watch her while drying his arm with the towel, “Does he live here with you?”

“No. He recently got married, so I’m by myself,” she replied while pouring water into the cup.

“What about your parents? They don’t live with you?”

Without meaning to Namjoo pulled on a bitter smile before walking back toward him with the cup of water. Once he took it she sat down onto her couch, “We’re orphans.”

Well, she thought, it wasn’t a lie really. With dad passing away and mother leaving them parentless, she and Joohwan should be considered orphans.

He blinked taken aback and apologized, “I’m sorry…I didn’t mean to.”

“Of course not,” she said. “Without depending on anyone, we managed.”

“You said you raised him?”

Namjoo nodded, “I cut high school to do miscellaneous work in order to support us. I wanted him to live the life I couldn’t. We lived in a basement for a while, but now he’s married and well and that’s all that matters to me.” she smiled up at him not sure why she was sharing with him the details but the better half of her wanted his heart to throb for her.  

It was working.

“You sound like a good older sister,” he commented. “Reminds me of mine.”

Namjoo raised a brow. She thought he was the only child. If his father died some of the inheritance would go to his sister. She barely freaked at the thought of it.

“She was always there looking out for me,” he reminisced while staring off into space, “but not anymore.”

Namjoo stared blankly after catching the drop in his voice.

Then he turned to her, “She and her husband passed away in a crash a few years ago.”

“Oh…” Namjoo turned away immediately pounded by guilt. “Um…sorry to hear that.”

Jongin only smiled sadly and becoming awkward with how the situation became she wasn’t sure what to say next. Thankfully her cell phone on the table rang and she quickly reached for it.

“Hello?”

“Namjoo,” it was Kyung, “are you at work? It’s raining, should I come pick you up?”

“N…no. Don’t worry about it, I’m already home.” she told him, wondering why he was calling over a petty matter. Even without an umbrella she could make her way home.

“Already?” he sounded disappointed. “Well, that’s good. I was worried you might get sick. Remember to keep warm and drink some green tea, it’s healthy for you. I bought you some last month, have they run out yet?”

Right, she recalled, he did and she hadn’t touched them after drinking one bitter package.

“I still have a lot left,” she told.

“Alright. Namjoo, when are you free? I want to take you out for lunch, maybe dinner sometime.”

She wished he would hang up already. “I’m busy, I have a full schedule this whole month.”

Patiently, he replied, “Ok. Did you get the bag I left on your door yesterday?”

Annoyed with how he was keeping her on the line Namjoo rubbed her hand against her forehead, “I got it.”

“Remember not to skip your meals. I know you do it.”  

“I don’t skip my meals,” she barely gritted her teeth with irate before recalling that she wasn’t alone. Quickly shooting Jongin a glance she shifted away from him and said, “Kyung, I’ll call you when I’m not busy ok?”

“You must, but Joohwan and I were planning to come visit you sometime soon anyway, in case you don’t keep your word.”

 Great.

Namjoo rolled her eyes, “Alright. Have it your way.”

She could see him smiling from his room with his books in front of him. “I’ll see you then. Bye, Namjoo.”

“Yea, bye,” she hung up and set the phone back onto the table then stood to find Jongin staring at her cell phone then gave her a glance. Recalling how she’d lied to Chanyeol about not having a phone she sheepishly grinned and he smiled in return. Namjoo ended up looking away, pestered by the awkward atmosphere.

“I should get you that umbrella before you go.” She slapped her legs and turned to walk toward her bedroom. Snatching her flowery umbrella from the corner she walked back out to hand it to him.

“Thanks.” He returned the towel to her. “I’ll go now.”

~~~~~

As the umbrella swooshed open in the lobby Jongin started back out into the dreary cold, pausing after a few steps and swiveled around. Tilting his head back he stared up at the building.

Twelfth floor room number 1224. He was pretty sure he wouldn’t forget that and smiled, humored.

“She’s cute,” he thought aloud and turned around to walk toward the street.

~~~~~

When he arrived home the little minion ran toward him. “Uncle!”

“Hey, little guy,” he greeted bending down to hug Jaegeun. “How was your day?”

“I saw a dinosaur on TV,” he raised his arm over him. “So tall, bigger than uncle.”

Laughing at the bundle of joy Jongin patted him on the head, “Oh yea? And were they scary?”

“No.” he shook his little head.

“You’re not scared of dinosaurs?” taking his backpack off he scooped Jaegeun who giggled into his arms and started toward the kitchen. “Did you eat yet?”

“I waited for uncle.” He said as if proud that he had been able to wait this long in order to eat.

 “You’re here?” his mother greeted when he walked into the wide kitchen. Like always, she was wearing an apron and preparing to set the table. “You’re a little late today.”

“I met up with a friend.”

“A friend?”

“Mm...” he nodded while setting Jaegeun down. “Uncle made a new friend today.”

“Girlfriend?” Jaegeun looked up at him.

Smiling, he answered, “It is a girl, but not girlfriend.”

“Why?”

Flustered, Jongin only managed to laugh.

“Why, uncle?” Jaegeun innocently pestered him when he finally sat down.

He suddenly thought about discovering Namjoo at the bottom of the staircase cold and shivering before walking her home to hear the story about her and her brother, and unknowingly smiled whilst biting back a laugh that she had indeed lied to Chanyeol about not having a phone. He felt even more like laughing when he recalled detecting the irritation in her voice while listening to her talk over the phone.

“Uncle, why?” Jaegeun asked again.

Looking at the little guy he said, “I don’t know her yet.”  


***Ok, I admit I love the element of having kids in my stories. They're so innocent and cute that they can gnaw their way into the coldest of hearts

***Anyway, I don't plan to spend a lot of time on the beginning since majority will be spent on their marriage so you might find it somewhat fast paced