He Loves You More

Next Stop, You

~~~~~

“Would you like anything to drink? We have a variety of beverages…” Jongin kindly wondered, leading Joohwan toward the sitting area in his office.

“No, I don’t plan to stay long,” the tall man turned around to look at him.

Still offering hospitality, Jongin suggested, “Lets sit.”

“I have no need for that.” The man who had been welcoming toward him suddenly seemed the opposite person Jongin had met twice.

“All right then,” giving in so as not to be pushy Jongin asked, “so what can I do for you…”

Again, he was cut off. “How is Namjoo doing?”

Jongin blanked. This morning she’d gone to work. She would resign today she’d told him. Relaying his answer, “She’s well. She went to work this morning.”

“Is she happy?”

The questions were a little strange but Jongin tried not to focus on them and instead on the brother. Smiling, he nodded. “You know, you can come visit her. I’ll let my mother know as well as the housekeeper, so you can come whenever you’re free. It’s no hassle.”

Joohwan didn’t look moved as he expected. Switching the topic Joohwan stared him in the eyes and said, “If I knew about the wedding, I would have stopped it.”

Alarmed with his sudden cold attitude Jongin asked, “Is there something wrong?”

“If my sister suffers under your roof, I’m taking her back with me.” Joohwan icily warned. “And if she doesn’t have the heart to remove herself, it’ll be my pleasure to.”

Shoving by, Joohwan opened and closed the door leaving him standing there lost. Turning around to find himself alone in the room Jongin could only mull over what just happened.

~~~~~

Namjoo had assured him she’d find a way home after her shift ended so with a sorry heart he headed straight home once the meeting with the board members ended. After encountering Jaegeun at the doorway he accompanied the nephew for a walk around the block upon his whinnying that he was bored.

Fresh air was nice but with nothing to lay his hands on his mind wandered off to the visit with Joohwan that early afternoon. What had he been on about? Was there something with the marriage he was unhappy about? Jongin was certain he and Namjoo had been doing fine. Unless it had something to do with his aunt’s visit the other morning. Had she said something offensive to Namjoo that he didn’t know about but everyone else knew?

“No ice cream today,” Jaegeun moped beside him sadly.

“What was that?” pulled out of his thoughts Jongin glanced down.

The young nephew his arm out down the road and looked up at him, “Auntie bought me ice cream there. It’s not here anymore.”

Jongin raised a brow and crouched down to Jaegeun’s level. “You had ice cream?”

Nodding, he explained, “We had ice cream and Auntie’s friend took me to play.”

Something ticked in Jongin’s head. “Auntie’s friend?”

“He’s handsome,” Jaegeun went on. “And I also ate Auntie’s ice cream. I want ice cream again.”

Namjoo’s friend? Jongin let the fact drift through his head. Kyung? Had Namjoo said something to him he’d told Joohwan?

Returning his attention to Jaegeun he asked, “Do you want to go somewhere?”

Making the long drive out into the heart of the city he stopped by a local ice cream shop and made a personalized ice cream sundae with his nephew. Sitting by the window they shared the treat and watched cartoon off his phone until it was time to pick Namjoo up. When she finally appeared she looked sweaty and smelled immediately like cheese and pizza but nonetheless as happy to find them standing outside as they were to see her. It simply made him so happy he immediately forgot the icy convo with her brother.

“Auntie!” Jaegeun greeted ecstatic to see her from his side.

“Hi Jaegeun,” Namjoo hugged his nephew when he lunged at her.

“You smell like food!” he exclaimed.

Namjoo giddily laughed in reply then looked at him. Jongin’s heart uncontrollably lurched forward. “I thought I told you not to come.”

“I couldn’t help it.”

Tugging her hand for attention Namjoo leaned down to hear his nephew say, “Uncle missed you.”

“Hey,” Jongin playfully scolded, “you think I didn’t hear that?”

Namjoo smiled and held her hand out. “So, I heard from someone that you missed me.”

He looked at her with a burrowed frown but helplessly smiled and took her hand, gripping it tight. “I did. So?”

“I want to hold hands too,” Jaegeun whined and broken between them, taking each of their hands and cutely grinned.

“Fine, be that way,” Jongin remarked. Then turning to her, “Lets go home.”

~~~~~

Namjoo was sitting on the ground in front the suitcase they’d agreed to share folding her nightwear for tomorrow night when he stepped out after showering. Dropping his towel into the basket he plopped down behind her and pulled her onto his lap.

“What the heck…” Namjoo turned to peer back at him, her hair brushing the side of his face allowing him to get a good whiff of the scent pouring from her skin.

Adjusting his arms around her waist he rested his head on her shoulder. “Jaegeun said you met with a friend the other day.”

“Oh…yea,” it was a low mumble, making him wonder if she wanted to talk about it at all. Speaking a tad bit louder she said, “I met Kyung just to catch up. Did I tell you he’s a law student?”

Fully leaning against her he closed his eyes, sinking in comfort. “I think you did.”

“He should be preparing for his bar exam anytime soon. I just wanted to give him some support.”

“Namjoo,” he calmly called.

“Yes?”

“Are you happy here? With me?” Jongin wasn’t quite sure how he would sink if she wasn’t. She meant everything to him. Living without her was impossible. It just had to be no one else but Namjoo for him. Through thick and thin, through marshes and jungles whatever happened and whatever obstacle appeared he’d fight his way to her.

“Of course I am.” She secured his answer and touched his hand. “Why would you even ask?”

“Yea?” mood picking up at once he quickly pecked her neck all the way up to her pulse and the underside of her jawline, delighting in her squeals as she struggled free.

~~~~~

Paradise Hotel owned by one of the board committee’s eldest son, inherited from his wife’s family line, was the special spot for the day. Their hotel room offered a picturesque ocean view of Haeundae beach which was just a few steps away. Though inside, Namjoo could make out the noise of the crashing waves onto the sandy shore as if they were right on it themselves.

The second they walked right she started toward the open balcony to take in the whiff of the ocean side air, salty and dreamy in essence. Too bad she hadn’t brought any swimwear but she was sure she would be back someday far in the future.

“It’s pretty,” she commented when Jongin approached.

“Nice view, huh?” he asked. Joining her from the side he leaned against the railing and took a deep breath. “Makes me want to swim.”

“I was thinking the same thing.”

“You know how to swim?”

“No.”

“Neither do I.” she glanced at him and they burst into laughter. “Then I guess we’ll both drown at sea together.”

“Don’t count me in,” Namjoo smugly looked at him.

“Wherever I go, you go,” he stated.

“Well…we’ll see about that,” she playfully muttered.

“There’s a pool downstairs. I think that’s where they’re gathering for lunch before the evening,” Jongin explained. “Lets go.”

Closing the door leading to the balcony she stepped out after him and headed down the elevator to meet with the rest of his business mates. Jongin had explained to her not to worry about identifying any of them but she wasn’t very confident in his confidence. If she couldn’t note who was who her performance might leave a negative impact on Jongin. She didn’t want the others to be calling her stupid behind her back.

As expected, the lounge room was a busy body of guests when they arrived. Everyone in semi-casual attire seemed preoccupied at the least with greeting one another, their old faces crinkling up with pleasure and haughty laughter. There was way more of them than Namjoo had expected. Had Yeji and her father invited everyone they knew?

She wished Jongin would reach for her hand and hold her tight for reassurance, but he didn’t; probably because he didn’t want to look unprofessional. Being scrutinized and judged by people she rarely knew built such pressure on her shoulders. Namjoo was already self-conscious about her choice of jeans and a blouse she had come in. Jongin should have asked her to change before coming down because seeing that she was the only one in denim jeans made her feel ridiculous.

Just then the roaring laughter of an elder man approached them and called out for Jongin. Namjoo stood by, fading into the background as they conversed about business politics – nothing she had the brain to know about. When the man finally left Jongin turned to give her a smile and led her over to the buffet table where they grabbed plates to pick their food. His attention restored a bit of her security but only for a brief moment.

“The food is awesome,” she heard Jongin quietly comment as he filled up his plate. “I’d pack all these food home if I could.”

Namjoo looked up at him and quietly laughed. Moving over to an empty table they sat down to enjoy their lunch. The noisy chatter never once dissipated around them and sounded like an unorganized ensemble.

“What’s that?” Jongin asked looking at some of the food on her plate. “I want to try.”

“I didn’t eat it yet but go ahead,” Namjoo said moving her plate toward him. And as simple as that she felt like they were on one of their usual dates, away from these people, in their own world. A minute later the image of a person blurred past her eyes and she watched Yeji pull out the chair beside Jongin.

“I saw you come in earlier but was unable to come say hello,” she smiled. Her face was prettily dolled up and her hair curled, splayed over her shoulders. Namjoo suddenly felt cheap compared to her. Damn the jeans.

“We just got here,” Jongin said seeming completely unaware of her insecurity.

“I want to introduce someone to you,” transitioning into business mode Yeji waved her arm out for someone. Attention back on only Jongin she explained, “I was thinking about opening a law department for you. There are always many security issues and controversies customers create while shopping, I think it’s a good idea to begin something your father hasn’t started.”

Namjoo watched as a slim middle aged man walk over and immediately shook hands with Jongin. “I’m Cha Geunwoo, currently a defense attorney at Kim & Young in Daegu. Nice to meet you.”

Jongin nodded in greeting and after introducing himself slipped an arm around her, settling his hand at her back. “And this is my wife, Kim Namjoo.”

“Ah…that’s right. I heard you recently got married. Congratulations,” the man brightly said.

Namjoo felt her heart wildly beat and forced herself to nod because that was what felt natural at that moment. She hadn’t expected Jongin to pull her into his business conversation at all.

“Enjoy your meal. I’ll see you later tonight,” Geunwoo politely smiled before leaving them. Namjoo watched him merge into the group of man standing in a group with wine glasses in hand, chatting intensely about some baseball game maybe. She could picture them all in the ragged shirts and jeans, crowded in the living room, beers in hand, screaming and cheering at the television screen.

“So what do you think about him?” Yeji pressed on.

“He’s neat.” Jongin’s comment was short and simple.

“Hire him to begin your law department,” Yeji insisted.

“I’m not sure about that.” Jongin said. “Father never planned for one, so maybe there was never a need for one. We’re a shopping mall, not a business center loaded with confidential files that need to be protected.”

“Don’t you get it?” Yeji argued. “Your father didn’t have the time to plan for one because he fell sick.”

I’ll make the decision,” Jongin stood his ground, his voice deep to emphasize his point. “If you’d leave, I want to enjoy my lunch with my wife.”

Yeji gave them a stiff once over before getting up to walk away. Waiting until she was gone from the corner of her eye Namjoo turned back to Jongin who was complaining about how the food had gone cold.

“Do you always argue like that?” Namjoo wondered.

“No. I’m just annoyed she keeps trying to revamp my father’s office, even I haven’t gotten used to it yet and she wants to be making changes.” After heaving a sigh he looked at her. “I’m sorry.”

Worried and sympathizing with him all she could do was say, “It’ll be ok.”

The late afternoon sun was hovering heatedly in the sky when Namjoo stepped into the next door pool room. After noticing it through the glass wall in the lounge a tremendous urge to play with the water poured through her. A few women had gathered there to talk, moving away from the booming male voices in the lounge. There was a man talking on the phone in the corner, hand tucked into his pocket, his head lowered. Maybe he was having an argument or serious conversation with whoever was on the other end of the line.

Moving her attention away from them Namjoo peered down at the 6 feet deep pool. The stench of fresh chlorine was strong but the water was as clear as ever, allowing her a view of the tiles deep under. Namjoo stared in awe. She’d never been in a pool before. Was the water warm or cold?

“Did you come out here to call your other boyfriend?” Namjoo turned to see Yeji walking toward her, those slim arms crossed underneath her s. Stopping in front of her she intentionally said, “That’s right, Han Kyungmo. The student I met the other day. Seems highly passionate about you.”

Namjoo’s brow twitched. That was right. They had a score to settle.

“Leave him alone.”

“Really?” she asked. “But I don’t think I can.”

“What do you want?” eyes trained on her, Namjoo tried not to easily glare.

Yeji shrugged. “I don’t like you.” Immediately clenching her teeth Namjoo kept shut. “I can tell Jongin is head over heels for you, blind from all sides but you’re the real fool. I can see right through you, Kim Namjoo.”

Deepening her frown Namjoo defended, “Our relationship has nothing to do with you.”

“It doesn’t,” Yeji agreed, “but I know for certain, Jongin should have been mine. If we married I’d take better care of him than someone who’s merely taking advantage of him. I’ve been there, Namjoo. I know how it’s done, and your game is lame. You have no take in a company, in the life of a man who should have been mine.”

Namjoo felt her lower lip give way to a light tremble and uneasily stepped back to move away from the woman preying on her. She was suddenly overwhelmed with anxiety.

“Have you been hurt? Have you been crushed, felt like the raw of your insides were ripped apart? You haven’t spent days grieving in the hospital over the loss of a lover. You don’t know how it is to give your heart to someone who gives back half of it. Your soul has never bled. Have you ever looked at Jongin and thought he’s the brightest thing you’ve seen?” Yeji stared intensely into her eyes. “No. You haven’t.”

“Don’t put words in my mouth.” Namjoo quietly warned.

“Am I?” Yeji contradicted. “You don’t love him the way you love your family and that is the single most reason why his heart has no worth to you. Isn’t it?”

Glaring, “You have no right to weigh my feelings over Jongin.”

“Yea?” Yeji took a small step forward. “If Han Kyungmo and Jongin both fell in the water, who would you save given you can only save one of them?”

Namjoo pressed her lips together. Like hell she would have to choose. They would all just have to die. How fair was this to make her choose Kyung over Jongin or Jongin over Kyung?

“You can’t answer.” She stated, her tone mocking. Namjoo felt her face twitch with irritation. “If we both fall and Jongin saves only you, I am right that he loves you more than you love him. Do you want to try it? You couldn’t answer me before, but if Jongin can give an answer I am not wrong.”

Namjoo flexed her hand into a small fist. “That’s weak. The answer is obvious.”

“But a man always wants to be a hero,” Yeji confidently reminded. “Men always want to save women, the weak counterpart. We both have affiliation with Jongin, but he’ll definitely choose you.”

Namjoo stared back at Yeji, wondering if she was crazy before she lunged forward, dunking them both into the pool.  


***Reminder that Yeji once had a fiance who used her for money and thus she never got married. Here, she's telling Namjoo not to be greedy and leave Jongin if she doesn't care about him and that Jongin's not worth hurting because he obviously loves her a lot more. She tested Namjoo's ability to choose Kyung over Jongin, an answer she couldn't give. This represents her uncertainty over her feelings for Jongin. But between Yeji and Namjoo, who will Jongin save? The answer is obvious, Jongin loves Namjoo more. He'll definitely save her first which proves Yeji's hypothesis that Namjoo does not love Jongin as much as he loves her. Get it? Yeji is interfering because she feels robbed of a good man she believes she would have cared more for but greedy Namjoo managed to snatch him away.