She's Back

Next Stop, You

~~~~~

Namjoo was done in by concern the entire night. By morning she didn’t know how many times she’d flipped from side to side worried about Jaegeun. She even thought about shamelessly calling Jongin to ask for his nephew’s health, but she just couldn’t do it and ended up throwing the phone to the side five times.

Jaegeun was too young to be this sad and it all but made Namjoo feel so much more guilt. It was her fault, she believed, for leaving abruptly like that. Why had her heart been so small? Why had she let Jongin’s words get to her so easily? If not for that she would have stayed alongside Jaegeun even while Jongin resented her. The poor child did not deserve to suffer because of some adults’ foolishness.

As soon as the sun hit the sky Namjoo was up and out the door. Jongin wasn’t in his office to her disappointment. Left with no choice she went to the couch and powered the laptop on, but her mind continued to stay elsewhere. If Jongin took leave today as well she would call him for an update.

Half an hour later the door opened. She quickly turned and began rising from the couch with mouth ready to talk, but the person that walked in was not Jongin. Goo Yeji stared back without masking the jaundice she possessed for her. Namjoo stood up anyway.

“Jongin’s not here.” Namjoo said. “If you want to talk to him, you’ve to come back another time.”

“Then I’ll just talk with you.” Yeji strode forward with her long, thin legs. Today her heels made her tower over Namjoo by a few inches.

“Then, do you want to sit?” Namjoo asked.

“Not with you,” Yeji spat. “Just because Jongin decided to introduce you to my father’s people does not mean you won. You’re still undeserving of him.”

“Did you come here just to judge me?” Namjoo asked.

“No,” Yeji glared coldly into her eyes, “I came to warn you. What Jongin did caused my father to lose face in front of his very important business partners.”

“But how is it embarrassing?” Namjoo questioned. “That he revealed a lie? Your father called him son-in-law in front of those high-so’s and I don’t think Jongin is married to you yet. A little anxious, are you?”

Namjoo’s head swung to the side when Yeji thrashed her hand against her head. Frowning angrily, Namjoo glared in return.

“That is not a lie.” Yeji’s voice shook.

Namjoo clenched her teeth together and needed a moment to keep her fury hidden. She wouldn’t be the woman who didn’t know her place.

“Is that all you came to say? That your father’s angry because Jongin embarrassed him? Well, good. Your father did something he shouldn’t have. And if you’re desperate for Jongin, you should have done more than just stand by his side in the two years I left my post empty. So, don’t lash out at me.”

“Don’t lash out at you?” she repeated with distaste. “You are clearly the reason Jongin still refuses me.”

“No,” Namjoo stated, “if Jongin liked you, he would have come to you despite me showing up. You just want to put the blame on someone. You said Jongin was yours before he was mine? No, you’re wrong. He never belonged to anyone. He’s not even mine.”

Yeji scoffed. “Stop acting. It’s makes you look a worse liar than you already are.”

“Am I?” Namjoo asked.

“Then why are you still here?” Yeji narrowed her eyes. “You need money? I can give you however much you want, eat every penny to your heart’s content. Or do you have a debt again? You need to pay it off, but you can’t tell Jongin?”

Namjoo’s brow twitched.

Yeji sneered at her. “Come to think of it, between us, who really cares more for Jongin? You stabbed him two years ago when I tried protecting him from those loansharks. Are you going to stab him again? What can you do for him? You are nothing but a jinx.”

Something burned all the way down to Namjoo’s stomach and she felt like keeling over. Suddenly she didn’t feel so headstrong.

“I heard your mother left you,” Yeji cheekily smiled, “maybe in soon time, when Jongin sees your true colors, he’ll finally leave you too, because I don’t believe that even one-percent of your feelings for him are real.”

The door opened and Secretary Hong stepped in. Surprise flickered across his face when he saw that she wasn’t alone. Running a hand over her face Namjoo realized her hair had become ruffled when Yeji touched her head and pressed her hand over it.

“Then, I’m leaving. Good to see you,” Yeji bid her farewell and turned to walk away.

Once she was gone Namjoo awkwardly turned to look at the secretary and managed a tiny smile. “Have you heard from the Chairman?”

“He’s stopping by later,” Secretary Hong replied leaving a folder onto the desk and politely smiled before backing out.

Namjoo heaved a sigh and slipped down onto the couch, fully leaning back into it. She allowed herself to relax before straightening, removed her hair clip, and readjusted her hair. A moment later Jongin walked in.

“How is Jaegeun?” she asked getting up and pressed down on her skirt to remove any possible wrinkle.

“He has a really high fever.” Jongin replied busily stuffing his briefcase with the folder Secreary Hong just dropped off and other materials.

Namjoo stepped closer to the desk, “And you didn’t take him to the hospital?”

“There’s a nurse at home.” He still wasn’t looking at her and she worried about the urgency of Jaegeun’s health. “I have to work from home. My mom isn’t capable of looking after him herself. You can leave work when you’re done.”

Pierced with anguish she stepped forward, “That’s it? Jaegeun has a high fever and you’re going home to watch over him? Don’t you have a family doctor?”

Jongin finally turned to look at her. “You’re worried?”

Namjoo felt like biting her tongue at the damn question. “Of course I’m worried!”

His nephew was miserable as a result of their split, because of that fire; because they believed she was dead; because she hadn’t cared enough about looking back, and if she had found out it wouldn’t be like this right now. The emotional frustration continued swinging through her. Everything was a mess and she didn’t know where to begin to start helping Jaegeun recover.

“Do you want to come with me?” he asked.

A ball the size of a fist wound down , stopping midway. Back to that house, his home she had left. She had called quits two years ago. If she went back there now, would the life she’d left start all over again?

Hesitation drifted through her like a tidal wave. Her eyes shot up to Jongin then to his briefcase. She was worried about Jaegeun, but his home was another thing.

“I have to go.” He turned to walk away, but her hands shot out to grab his arm. It was too late to regret it by the time he turned around. A part of her wanted to choke the living daylights out of herself.

“I…” she stammered, “I’ll go see him.”

~~~~~

By the time Namjoo was in her car and on the road nervousness wracked her nerves. A distinct voice screamed at her from the back of her head. What exactly was she doing?!! Why did she suddenly do that?!

It was too late to make a U-turn when Jongin’s house appeared in view and she parked along the side of the home. Feeling quaky Namjoo slowly turned the engine off and stared down the very familiar road, recalling how Jongin drove her down the street daily to work and back home. A few blocks down someone might be selling ice cream, and if he was there she’d buy a treat for Jaegeun.

Anxiety swarmed through her like bees out of a beehive. Forcing herself to step out she watched Jongin wait for her by the front stairs and pressing her lips together she walked in with him. All the memories, the days and nights she spent with Jongin here colluded into her memory sending waves of happiness, sadness, and nostalgia pouring into her heart. Her chest ached again.

She was uneasy in the most uncomfortable way but it was already too late. The door opened and she entered the home that stood like the same illusion it had two years ago. Nothing changed. Nothing had been moved, or replaced. For a tiny moment, it felt as if she’d never left at all.

The very same windows were open but the house did not resonate the same tranquility it once had. It was so quiet, even more so than she thought it once was. She caught sight of a housekeeper she did not recognize sweeping the hallway as they started toward Jaegeun’s room. That, if she recalled correctly, used to be her mother’s chore.

Jongin knocked on the door and opened it. Namjoo almost gasped when she saw the air purifier on the table beside Jaegeun’s now bigger bed and a drip connected to his wrist. Her hands clambered up to , shocked to see what was before her.

“I thought you said it was just a high fever,” she accused, turning to Jongin.

“It’s to make sure he’s hydrated,” the nurse explained from behind. Namjoo turned to the pretty woman who smiled at her welcomingly. “You must be Jaegeun’s aunt.”

Left with no choice but to acknowledge herself Namjoo nodded. “Yes…”

“Jaegeun was just asking about you before going back to sleep,” the nurse explained. “Why don’t you sit with him?”

Nodding, Namjoo stepped forward to take the chair by the bed, her attention span now lost. Jongin and the nurse quietly stepped into the hall without her notice.

“Jaegeun,” Namjoo held his tiny hand between both of hers, “I’m here. Auntie’s sorry.” 

~~~~~

The sight of Namjoo by Jaegeun’s bed was heartwarming. Jongin couldn’t take his eyes off them.

“Is she the one?” Cho Eunhye, Chanyeol’s wife, the head nurse at Hankook Hospital whispered from outside the doorway.

“That’s her.” Jongin’s eyes drifted over to Namjoo.

Eunhye teasingly nudged him, “You’re going to burn a hole in her face if you keep staring.”

Scoffing, he turned to make a face at her. “Is he really sleeping?”

“He is,” she answered. “I told him you’re bringing his auntie, so if he sleeps a little he’ll see her in a little while.”

“I didn’t think she would come.” Jongin admitted recalling Namjoo’s long hesitance.

“Poor you,” she grinned. “Are you just going to stand there? Go in there.”

She shoved him in with abominable force. Jongin’s heart flew up to his throat and tightened his hand into a tiny fist as he stood adjacent to Namjoo’s back. Setting his briefcase down he took a seat at the edge of the bed and peered at Jaegeun who was well asleep.

“He misses you,” Jongin told and noticed the slight turn of Namjoo’s head toward him.

“When will they take this thing out of him?” Namjoo asked. The distaste in her tone toward the needle in Jaegeun’s tiny wrist was obvious. The nephew was her weakness now. Jongin didn’t think he could have had her in any more of a perfect spot.

“When his fever lowers.”

Jongin watched Namjoo squeeze the bed sheet into her fist and wondered if he was giving her unnecessary stress. Joohwan had once had an awful fever which forced her to carry him on her back for two hours. He was sorry but didn’t think he had a choice. To have Namjoo move back, he needed an excuse that would tug her heart.

They both turned when Jaegeun stirred and Namjoo leaned over. “Jaegeun?”

Jaegeun could be an actor at this rate, Jongin supposed, when his lids tiredly fluttered open with much effort. The first thing his eyes landed on was Namjoo.

“Auntie?” he squeaked weakly. Jongin couldn’t be sure if he was just playing along with his scheme or if it was his voice after suddenly waking up. “Auntie.”

Namjoo hurriedly urged him back down when he tried sitting up. “Don’t get up yet. Just lay down for now.”

“You’re home. You’re finally home.” Jaegeun exclaimed happily.

Yes, Jongin wanted to agree, Namjoo is finally home.

Namjoo pulled a smile on and Jongin was confident she couldn’t say she wasn’t. Jaegeun clutched onto her hand firmly, smiling adorably like the child he was. “Auntie, stay with me tonight. I want to watch a movie with you and eat with you and play with you. I got really cool toys now.”

“You sure are energetic,” Namjoo commented sweetly. “We can do anything after you get better.”

“But auntie, I’m all bet…”

As if on cue, Eunhye quickly swept in and Jongin jumped off the bed. Cold sweat washed down the back of his neck. Jaegeun almost gave them away.

“Why don’t you two step out?” Eunhye asked.

“Why should we?” Namjoo asked then turned to Jongin for guidance.

He liked that she made him feel reliable, but there was no excuse to give. Eunhye was just going to close the door and have a talk with Jaegeun.

“It’s ok,” Jongin assured pressing a hand to her back and led her out. He nodded to Eunhye when she closed the door, leaving him there with Namjoo in the hallway.

“Are you sure he’s ok?” Namjoo worriedly asked again with eyes shooting toward the door. “Fevers can get really serious. I think you should take him to a hospital where a doctor can administrate a more accurate diagnosis.”

“He’s recovering.”

“Recovering? Did you see him?!” Namjoo asked distraught.

“Yes, I saw him,” Jongin calmly replied. “He was happy and his eyes were bright. Before you arrived, he didn’t look like that.”

The distress slowly relieved itself from her face and he wanted to put his arms around her, admit that he was just playing with her, but he couldn’t. Namjoo needed to first walk in through that door again with her luggage.

“Namjoo,” her name naturally slid off his tongue, “why don’t you consider it?”

“Consider what?”

“Coming back.”

Her expression stilled seriously and her eyes appeared like dotted black buttons.

“For Jaegeun,” Jongin explained, “can’t you do it for him?”

“What sense does that make?” Namjoo asked flabbergasted. “I will visit him. I can give you my word, until he’s better and after, but not here.”

“You’re not doing it for me…”

“You?” she repeated with a disgusted frown. “Why are you bringing yourself into this?”

“Because I’m the reason you don’t want to come back,” Jongin adamantly pointed out and watched her purse her lips into a straight line. “But you have no choice, because I live here.”

“I’ve made my choice.” Namjoo stared back, crossed.

“By stepping back into my home you did,” he added. “You were so worried over Jaegeun you set everything aside, and walked back here with your own two feet. I didn’t ask you to come, you did it yourself.”

Namjoo turned away from him as if he was a deformed thing she couldn’t keep her eyes on.

“Jaegeun needs you,” Jongin said. The rest of his hopes would hang on that.

Her eyes hung on the wall as a fierce debate ensued within her head. It was a hard decision for her, he knew, because she knew her mother also lived here. Jongin would also fix that, he swore he would because it was he and his father who had stolen the woman. He would drive Kyung off, make Joohwan accept him, and reopen the part of Namjoo’s heart she had closed on him. Every single day of the two years was spent remembering her and he wanted to know that Namjoo, too, spent every single day thinking of him.

Their marriage had been a simple one turned difficult, but he would surely keep it intact just as he’d promised his dying father two years earlier.

“Only until he gets better.” Namjoo stiffly agreed.

“Of course.” Jongin smiled.  


***xDDDDDDDDDDDD

***Namjoo is running circles. Now she's back to where she started! Jongin's heart is being reignited! Right now his yearning is greater than his anger

***Anyway I miss KaiJoo so much ;; I wish I could update more but this is the last draft I had saved so it'll be a while before another chapter gets posted :(

***Happy holidays everyone!