Lets Move On

Next Stop, You

When he awoke the next morning, Namjoo was asleep by his outstretched arm on her side with her back to him. Crumpled sheets of paper lay sprawled out between them, his laptop at the foot of the bed. Jongin stared up at the ceiling happily wishing the sun hadn’t come up. At the instant beep of his alarm clock he jerked his arm to the side to slam it quiet.

For some reason Namjoo had remained at peace with him last night, and without any argument. It was rare and he had felt delighted she’d offered to help him with his work. Heaving a soulful sigh he ran his eyes over her then leaned over to grab the remaining of the packet from last night out of her hands. She stirred awake and turned to glance at him. Oh, how he wished he didn’t have to go in for work today, but he had no more excuses to stay away from going into the office.

“Sorry,” he apologized taking the packet, “go back to sleep. Rest today.”

Rising he went to wash up and by the time he came out dressed in his button down and pants Namjoo was still asleep. The sight was fulfilling. He felt good, and very momentarily, really believed he had all he needed in the world. Quietly packing up he turned the lights off and walked out the door.

~~~~~

Namjoo slept a good deal and woke up feeling refreshed and wide awake. Jaegeun was already at school when she stepped out of the bedroom and Jongin to work, so that meant she was alone with her mother – something she had never been ready for again. Today she discovered the woman in the kitchen baking something. For a second Namjoo stared at her quietly noticing the slight difference in her sunken face and immediately turned when Hunmi caught her.

“Are you awake?” she greeted. “Go sit down. I’ll bring some food out for you.”

Namjoo had the urge to say that she needn’t to, but her legs already moved before worked. Pulling a chair at the table out she sat down. One of the last persons she had thought about when she went to Britain was her mother. The time now compared to two years ago was so very different. Two years ago she had been an angry person filled with much resentment spiraled toward this woman. Today she was still angry but in a somber way and perhaps, because she realized this woman had taken her death as a toll, too. Just like Jongin and Jaegeun.

A bowl of steaming soup arrived before her along with rice and side dishes. Her mother finally spoke after setting down a cup of warm water, “Are you feeling better? I brought you some warm water. A woman should always drink warm water.” There was a slight pause, “How are you and Jongin? You two are getting along, right? I’m planning to take Jaegeun to see his parents soon, so you two can have some time alone. Talk things out and catch up.”

“We’re fine. You don’t need to worry,” Namjoo stiffly grumbled. She almost felt sorry for speaking rudely as the silence set in and her mother didn’t move from where she was.

“All right, I’m sorry I went overboard,” her mother apologized. “I won’t bother you. Eat up and when you’re done just leave the dishes.”

The soft footsteps of hers faded back into the kitchen next door. Namjoo was left feeling unsettled, guilty, and upset for no reason.

She did as told. Leaving the empty dishes on the table she wandered off into the sitting room to watch some TV, flipping through the channels to eagerly find something interesting to enjoy. Namjoo settled onto a variety show that kept her busy for the next few hours before the doorbell rang. She waited for one of the housekeepers to come get it, but when no one did, she stood up from the comfy couch she’d sunken into and walked toward the door.

The round, proud face of an elder man first came into her view before she recognized Yeji standing at the side beaming with a sunset smile.

“May we come in?” Chairman Goo asked.

“Oh…yes.” Stepping aside in a hurry Namjoo let them in and closed the door. Realizing the TV was still on to that silly channel she quickly grabbed the remote and turned it off. Extending her hands out she said, “Please sit.”

All she could think about in those few split seconds was being formally polite as much as she could. She felt tiny, like a bug in the presence of a spider. If she walked into their web they would the blood out of her.

Like a fool Namjoo remained standing after they comfortably made themselves at home. Their eyes were watchful – one next thing that made her more wary about herself. She should have dressed better even if she was at home. Her biggest mistake was making herself too comfortable in Jongin’s home. What would they think of her?

“Why don’t you get us some water?” Yeji asked. “A good host would do that.”

“Ah…yes,” coming back to life Namjoo hastily nodded. Abruptly turning she accidentally knocked her leg into the coffee table. Keeping the groan of pain to herself she hobbled off.

Her mother, still in the kitchen, turned when she hastily began searching for cups in the cupboards and watched as she opened the fridge for some water.

“Are you thirsty?” Hunmi wondered. Namjoo ignored her until she called her name. “Namjoo…”

“Chairman Goo and Yeji are here,” the words sprung out from irritation and distraught nerves. When silence followed Namjoo turned to find the woman examining her with worried eyes, as if there was something she didn’t want her to know.

“Go to your room,” the woman ordered, stepping forth to take the tray of glasses from her but Namjoo held tight.

“Why?” Namjoo inquired. Her mother’s eyes filled with conflict but she wouldn’t say. “I’ll go.”

Namjoo couldn’t decipher what her mother’s problem was, but she suddenly felt a determination to meet Chairman Goo and Yeji again. Carrying the tray down the hallway she watched as Yeji and her father came nearer and nearer into view. Like a good maid she placed the tray down before setting each glass of water directly in front of its appropriate person. Proceeding to sit down on the nearby couch she placed the tray on her lap.

“We heard about the accident the other day. Were you very hurt?” Chairman Goo started with a tone of concern.

“No,” Namjoo answered.

“I heard from Yeji that you somehow returned after everyone somehow believed you passed away. Can I ask what you were doing those two years?”

“I was studying in Britain.”

“Oh,” he let the word drone on with surprise but didn’t sound sincere about it. Namjoo couldn’t tell what he wanted. “But I heard you never completed high school or went to college? Did you study with kids?”

Insult.

Something tightened in Namjoo’s chest but she remained calm. “No. I took some tests before entering the school.”

“Wow,” his voice applauded her with much discretion, “and you actually got in?”

Sarcastic disbelief.

From beside him, Yeji’s tiny smug smile remained as she watched in enjoyment while her father tore Namjoo down.

“Why, good for you. I’m glad you got somewhere,” the man nodded.

Vaguely smiling, Namjoo nodded and muttered a, “Thanks.”

They turned when footsteps shuffled in. Her mother with an obnoxiously large grin on her face, one Namjoo had never seen before, entered the room with a plate of warm bread right out from the oven.

“Why, hello, Chairman. You should have said you were visiting. I would have had a table of food prepared for you.”

Chairman Goo haughtily laughed gladly amused, “There’s no need for that now. I wanted to visit your daughter-in-law, should I say?” his eyes landed on her, forcing her to feel flustered.

Hunmi gladly laughed sitting down with her but with a gap between them. “What reason is there to see her? Have you met before?”

His vulture eyes sat on her again, “Yes, I believe so.”

Ok, now what was he going to say.

“Jongin made a really big impact when he introduced her at one of my events,” he explained rather inexplicably. “It upset Yeji.”

Hunmi smiled calmly, “Is that so? Well, Jongin isn’t home right now, so what would you like me to do?”

“I wasn’t saying it because I want to hear an apology,” the Chairman explained which Namjoo highly doubted. “You know we were in talks of continuing the marriage between our children. You were in agreement with it and we only needed an answer from Jongin, but,” his eyes darted toward her again, “we’re in a difficult spot, you see.”

“Actually,” her mother began, but he cut her off just as quick.

“But I heard from Yeji that your daughter-in-law is looking for a divorce lawyer.”

Namjoo’s heart drummed loudly against her chest, forcing her entire body to thud with it.

Her mother glanced at her surprised then back to the Chairman. “Why, I haven’t heard anything about it.”

Chairman Goo smiled as if satisfied that she didn’t know. He reached into his pocket and set onto the table some business cards of divorce lawyers he knew. “They all do a really good job, and I promise they will work quietly not to taint Jongin’s reputation. Lets clean this up, so we can have the wedding for Kwanhoon who can’t be with us today.”

Namjoo’s eyes bore into the business cards. Her heart continued to ram into the wall of her chest. The divorce suddenly felt so close but here she was, indecisive again.

“You…still like him?” her brother asked. “You can’t answer me?” Joohwan pressed on after giving her half a minute to think. “Don’t tell me that you don’t know. I know you know what’s going through your head. Why won’t you walk out of there on your own?”

This morning she could have walked out after Jongin left but she had lain in his bed and slept peacefully. She could have walked out when she saw her mother but she stayed.

Jongin…

“No,” her mother solidly stated. “Kwanhoon, before he passed away, allowed Jongin to follow his own wishes and I will also follow his wishes. Let Jongin and Namjoo talk it out, and if they agree on the divorce, we’ll work things out and continue with talks about Yeji joining the family. You know I have nothing against that.”

Her mother, though so small, held on well and somehow held a power over Chairman Goo Namjoo hadn’t seen coming. Even he couldn’t seem to treat Hunmi the same way he treated her.

“I understand, but I’m worried,” Chairman Goo pressed on with intense concern, “do you know what your relatives were saying when Jongin decided to get married two years ago? I don’t want that to happen again once everyone finds out your daughter-in-law’s death was a fraud. What will people think of your family? Kwanhoon is no longer here, but we should still respect the name he’s made for himself. Your son is still young and your daughter-in-law can still have a bright future. What can’t they do for themselves after the divorce? A marriage is a limit for how far two people can go without each other. It’s a bar of limitations.”

“I agree,” Yeji jumped in. “I’m also worried. Namjoo isn’t very educated about Jongin’s business. Competition is high in the industry. How can she help him with just two years of studying? A certificate of accomplishments isn’t enough for that kind of world. We have to worry for her sake, too. There are a lot of good men out there. Namjoo can find someone of her own level to marry.”

As if to return into the angel’s light, Chairman Goo stood, “All right. We’ll leave it at that today. Please do think about what we’ve just talked about. And when Jongin comes to his decision, I’ll be waiting to hear from him. Have a good day.”

Standing Hunmi walked them to the door. Continuing with her polite demeanor Namjoo also followed them to the doorway. Once the door closed her mother turned to her with an expression of distress.

“Namjoo…” she began worriedly, but Namjoo quickly turned around to walk away. A sense of humiliation scurried through her. Never before had she been talked about like that in front of anyone, and she couldn’t stand it that her mother had heard someone pointing out how lowly she was in societal standards.

~~~~~

Maybe he was moving too fast but Jongin couldn’t help himself from planning ahead. It was late afternoon and he just stepped out of the jewelry store with a soft velvet box cupped into the palm of his hand. Another ring. A better one. For Namjoo, but he wouldn’t give it to her yet. He would wait until it was the right moment. Until he knew that she was ready to stay by his side for the rest of her life.

Happily returning to his car he anxiously drove home to find Jaegeun sitting in front of the TV immersed in a cartoon.

“Hey, little man,” Jongin greeted, “you’re not going to bed?”

“I promised grandma I would take a bath after I watch this,” he replied then turned to look at him, “grandma said she wants to talk to you.”

Placing his hand on top of Jaegeun’s head playfully Jongin went in search of his mother. He found her in the kitchen and she gave him her attention quickly. “Come sit down,” she led him to the table.

“What is it?” Jongin wondered.

“Chairman Goo and Yeji visited earlier,” she told him.

“What? Why?”

“To talk about the wedding.”

“You know I’m not doing that,” Jongin stated.

“I know,” his mother nodded. “I didn’t want to let Namjoo know about it, but…”

“She knows.” The woman’s eyes grew wide. Jongin pressed his lips together. “Yeji visited the office a few times. Namjoo must have heard from her.”

“Then the divorce…”

“Namjoo brought it up.” Jongin felt sorry to say then quickly assured, “It’s only her thought. I won’t go through with it.” there was a pending moment of quiet. “What’s wrong?”

“I’m not sure. Namjoo seemed upset during dinner. You should go talk to her.” his mother suggested.

Nodding, Jongin left the table in a near daze. Sometimes Namjoo never really shared what went through her head. Two years ago she had never taken to explaining why she ignored him after meeting his parents. He’d found out himself. Jongin was starting to realize that if it had nothing to do with her brother or her backbreaking past, she didn’t take to telling him anything. Whether her feelings were hurt or if anyone said something bad to her. All that he had to investigate himself. This time, would Namjoo be open with him?

The bathroom door was shut tight and he could hear the shower running. Hiding the jewelry box away into his desk he loosened his tie, draped it over the chair and waited for Namjoo to come out. A few minutes later when she did he walked over and watched her throw the day’s clothes into her laundry basket.

Noticing him standing there she looked up at him. “What?”

Her hair was damp and she smelled nice. Snapping awake he said, “I heard Chairman Goo and Yeji came by.”

She nodded without an ounce of emotion on her face. “They did. Why?”

“Oh I…” he hesitated. He didn’t want to press Namjoo to the point where she would get angry or refuse to even chat with him. “Did they say anything to you? You aren’t upset?”

Namjoo’s eyes swayed from left to right before she looked confused. “No. Why?”

Was he doing this wrong? What should he actually say without fearing her silence?

“Go in and wash up,” Namjoo said before starting to walk by, but he gently grabbed her arm and became tingly nervous. He wanted to touch her and do nonsense stuff, yet he also really wanted to get her to open up.

“If you’re ever upset, I want you to tell me.”

Her eyes bore into his and she repeated, “I already said I’m not upset. Go in and take a shower.”

She stepped by again, but he quickly stepped back to stop her and felt his breath quiver. “Wait, Namjoo.”

Jongin lightly gulped when she looked up at him and he recalled laughing with her last night. His heart swooned. He so much wanted to relive every moment of the past with her. The gap in their relationship was still so wide it made him both frustrated and sorry. Why had he ever bothered to get angry with her?

Namjoo’s eyes moved toward his hand when it slid past her cheek and his fingers drove through her hair. His heart meshed against his torso and if he could just get one kiss from her he would forgive her for not being honest with him. Leaning closer he placed a soft peck by the corner of her lips and took in a good whiff of the body soap she just used. It was lovely and made his blood rush.

Quickly becoming greedy he turned to lock lips with her and immediately wrapped an arm around her, placing a hand at her lower back to bring her close. God, she smelled so good and her lips were so soft he didn’t think he’d be able to control himself. Fireworks exploded in his head when Namjoo kissed him back and like a snail, ever slowly slid her hands around his back.

He could hear her breathing, feel parting, and her tongue touching his lips. Her superbly warm body was next to perfect and before he knew it, he had her crushed on the bed.