The Other Options

Next Stop, You

Jongin nearly toppled Namjoo over when he ran into her. He needed to hold her first to assure himself that she was still real. Then releasing her he held her head between his hands, gave her a once over and shakily smiled.

“Are you ok?” he asked.

“What are you doing?” Namjoo pulled his hands off her. Turning back to the injured man she continued securing the piece of black rag around his injured knee, promising, “I’ll get someone to come over and look at you.”

Swiveling around again Namjoo about dashed off in another direction, but Jongin grabbed her arm. “Where are you going?”

“I have to get a nurse.”

That was when he ran his eyes over her to see that she’d ripped a large part of her skirt and her blouse had been pulled out from where it had been tucked in – what Jongin assumed, she’d ripped off to bandage others. And she was shoeless. Her legs were bleeding from cuts, but it didn’t seem like she had noticed.

“No, you’re not,” Jongin said. “We’re going to the hospital.”

“Jongin!” Namjoo impatiently raised her voice and shook herself free. “Can’t you see they’re all injured? They need help first.”

Urged to scold her, Jongin bit his lip to stop himself. Sighting a passing nurse Jongin pulled her over, “Can you look over this man?”

“Oh…” the puzzled nurse murmured as he wheeled her over.

“How many more are there?” Jongin inquired. “Are there a lot?”

“Another emergency team is coming, the rest have been routed toward the hospital,” the nurse explained setting down her first aid kit.

“Really? Good,” Jongin noted then turned to Namjoo, “you hear that?”

That dissatisfactory look sat again on Namjoo’s face but it was almost the norm for Jongin now. He about hauled her after him but paused when he recalled she was without shoes. Stepping closer to her he draped an arm around her back and another underneath her knees to lift her up into his arms.

Namjoo let out a shout of surprise. “What are you doing?! Put me down!”

“No,” he refused. “You’re bleeding, do you know that?”

“I can walk!”

Ignoring her Jongin walked the rest of the way to his car and slammed the engine on the way to the hospital.

“What did you think you were doing? Are you a nurse?” Jongin scolded. “If something happened, you should have called me.”

“Do you think I had my phone?” Namjoo asked irritated and he glanced at her purse stuck between their chairs since that morning. “Where are we going?”

“I’m taking you to the hospital,” Jongin said. “You need to clean your cuts before you get an infection. Do you know how dirty that construction site is?”

“I can do it at home. I don’t need the hospital.” Namjoo immediately pressed her lips into a firm line when he glanced at her once she mentioned ‘home’. Turning away she glanced out the window stubbornly.

After turning into the lot of the hospital Jongin stepped out of the car to discover that Namjoo had stubbornly made her own way out.

“I can walk!” she struggled during his attempt to carry her again.

“Then you shouldn’t have thrown your shoes,” Jongin victoriously stated cradling her in his arms again. He felt Namjoo turn her face toward his shoulder when curious onlookers stared as they walked in, embarrassed. It made him feel good and especially proud.

A nurse quickly attended them when he walked into the ER and after setting Namjoo down onto an available bed he watched the woman swab the cuts clean. He regrettably caught sight of Namjoo’s torn clothes and thought if a male nurse had attended her he wouldn’t have allowed it.

“You’re all good to go.” The nurse smiled. “Luckily none of the cuts are too serious.”

“Will they scar?” Jongin worried.

Namjoo shot him a frown before smiling at the nurse, “Thank you.” Once the nurse walked away she turned to him with an absolute frown.

“Don’t stand,” he shot, “I’ll carry you out.”

She quickly pushed his hands away, “Stop, will you?”

“You have cuts on your feet.” he reminded. “Not until you have shoes, socks, or bandages on them will I let you walk.”

Namjoo tightened her brows and turned away. Grinning victoriously he lifted her up into his arms again, feeling like the proud husband he was and walked out with her. He stopped by a fast food restaurant on the way home to buy her a meal of burgers and fries when he remembered she hadn’t eaten breakfast that morning. The sun was starting to set and he didn’t want to make her go home hungry. This time Namjoo ate quietly without putting up an argument and it made him feel explicably good. She also allowed him to carry her into their home without saying anything.

Instantly dropping the quilt she was knitting their mother rushed toward them the moment they arrived. “Oh no! What happened? Are you ok?”

Jongin watched the woman reach forward to touch Namjoo but pause hesitantly. Turning her face toward Jongin’s shoulder Namjoo mumbled, “I’m fine.”

To help his mother feel better Jongin added, “It’s been a long day. I’ll take Namjoo to rest first.”

“Oh…” the woman sounded disappointed then backed away, “yes, she’s probably tired.”

Smiling to help assure her worried heart Jongin started down the hallway toward the bedroom. Gently setting Namjoo down onto the bed he pulled her suitcase over. Her clothes were packed inside. Jongin pulled the zipper open to search for her pajamas but Namjoo stopped him. “I’ll do it.”

Was she that uncomfortable with him seeing her clothes? Jongin thought they were comfortable now with seeing each other’s wardrobe. Giving way he withdrew his hands.

“All right,” he straightened up, “go take a shower and rest. And sorry, for being upset with you this morning.”

The atmosphere became tender and he wished there was more to say. Forcing himself around he walked out the door, surprised to find his mother pacing back and forth on the other side fidgeting with her hands. Spotting him she hurried over. “What happened? Why is Namjoo like that?”

If his mother had heard about the building collapse she would have been first to lose it. Jongin kept in mind to refrain from shocking her too much. After all, Namjoo was ok and alive. That was all that mattered.

“There was just an accident,” Jongin generalized, “that’s all. Don’t worry about it. I took her to the hospital. She’ll be ok.” Placing a comforting hand on her fragile shoulder he promised, “Don’t worry, mom.”

The woman unwillingly nodded, unable to pack away her heart of concern. Looking up at him hopefully she asked, “Is she hungry? I can go warm up some food.”

“I had her eat on the way home,” Jongin explained.

“Did she? Oh, then that’s good.” Smiling up at him she said, “Thank you, Jongin. If not for you, I don’t know who would look after her so well.”

~~~~~

Namjoo was usurped by surprise when she looked at herself in the mirror. Her hair was loose at all ends, looked like she’d just gotten out of a cat fight. Grains of dirt remained smudged on certain areas of her face – all of it having come from the blow of wind when the building collapsed. Clothes were torn. The expensive blouse now appeared as if it’d come out of a shredding machine.

It was no wonder everyone acted so exaggeratedly. Her legs were sore from standing in those heels unsuitable for the construction environment, which made her feel more exhausted. Quickly stripping out of her clothes she took a warm shower, dressed, and stepped out. Jongin was not back from wherever he’d gone so she made herself comfortable in bed ready to drift off. As she lay there in utter silence she thought about the way Jongin had called out for her with obvious fear, where desperation lay buried underneath.

“I,” his voice shook as he tightened his grip around her wrists, “for the last two years, every hour of the day, do you know what I did? I mourned for you! I grieved! More for you than my own father! Kim Namjoo!”

Had Jongin thought she’d died? Had he been just as scared as he had been that day when he came to find the hostel burning?

Was Jongin actually fearful of losing her again?

That was the last thought that passed through her mind before she fell asleep but only momentarily. Her eyes popped open when she felt someone remove the blanket off her. Jolting awake she quickly sat up surprised.

“Sorry,” Jongin apologized from the edge of the bed.

“What are you doing?” Namjoo interrogated with a hint of defense. She was too tired to push him off. What did he want now?

She watched him hold up a bottle of balm. “I was just going to rub some cream on your cuts. I don’t want you having scars.”

A tremor bound her heart into a soft barrier. Since he had apologized earlier she wasn’t in the spot to refuse his kindness. She watched him roll up her pajama pants and gently rub the cream over the cuts the nurse had earlier cleaned. His focused expression reminded her of the night he unexpectedly visited her after being unable to meet up with her; when they’d sat at her tiny table with his textbook. It was also that night he first kissed her. And afterward, she had listened to him talk about his dreams.

Namjoo’s heart throbbed with the memories she had closed up. They were strong as if she’d just experienced them yesterday. Namjoo simply returned to the present wishing everything could be as simple as before. The problem was that there was no closure on their past. She believed the divorce would seal it, but Jongin was being stubborn about it. Namjoo had already done all she thought needed to be done; apologize for the death Jongin had believed in, gave way for him and Yeji to start what they should have when she was gone, and she had come here for Jaegeun. Yet it didn’t seem to be enough.

Her mind eased back to the current moment when Jongin rolled her pants above her knee to discover the slight cuts she’d gotten from falling that had been concealed by her skirt. Quickly grabbing the roll of her pajama pants to stop him from seeing more she felt their eyes meet. She didn’t want him to see anymore of her. Namjoo didn’t want to bare herself to him.

Conflict flashed through his concerned eyes making her feel sorry for some reason. Giving in on silent agreement Jongin removed his hands and let her roll down her pajama pants before proceeding to her other leg.

“Sorry for waking you,” Jongin apologized after finishing. “Go back to sleep.”

Namjoo watched him grab his pajamas before heading in for his shower and slid down to lay on her back. If she could walk pass what had already happened in the past and got to know Jongin for who he was now, would it make a difference? Would she be able to get over the fact that she had ruined them and the fact that Jongin might hate her?

That scared her more than ever. Facing the fact that Jongin still hated her and if she did love him, it would destroy her and everything she had built for herself the last two years.

~~~~~

Namjoo was deep asleep when he stepped out after his shower. Quietly moving through the room he turned the lights off before crawling into bed beside her. Her breathing was shallow and even, nice to listen to. Jongin didn’t think he would get enough of this.

Shifting onto his side he watched her snooze as happiness washed through him. Quietly thanking God for keeping her safe he inched closer, unable to believe how lucky he was to have her. Moving nearer he placed a gentle kiss against her hair and wrapped his arm around her. And still, Namjoo slept quietly even with him close.

Throughout the middle of the night he thought he felt Namjoo move closer, but when he woke up she was gone. There were voices floating down the hallway from the dining room. At first Jongin thought Yeji and her father were visiting, so panicked he picked up his pace only to discover that Namjoo and Jaegeun were at the table accompanied by none other than Kyung.

Resentfully, Jongin stood and stared from the doorway. How the hell did Kyung know Namjoo was here and not the apartment? Had she tattled on him to that man?

“I suddenly got assigned a dozen of small cases, but they shouldn’t take me too long to finish,” Kyung said. “Maybe you could help organize some files for me during your free time, but it doesn’t look like you’re in shape to go to work.”

“I was thinking I’d stay away from work today,” Namjoo agreed.

“You’re right you are,” Jongin interrupted and walked in.

“Uncle! Look!” Jaegeun pointed toward his cup of smoothie and the bagels Kyung had brought with him. “They’re really delicious! Auntie’s friend brought them. Have one!”

Both Namjoo and Kyung turned to look at him. Was this the reason she’d gotten up so early? To bring Kyung into his house? Was she so shameless to think she could bring another man into his home without his permission?

“Sorry for unexpectedly dropping in,” Kyung apologized. “I heard about what happened yesterday.”

So he was worried about Namjoo? Jongin quietly snorted. Why worry when she had a husband at her side?

“Would you like to have one?” Kyung offered one of his treats.

Jongin stared bitterly at it then noticed the half eaten one sitting in front of Namjoo. “No, I don’t like to spoil my appetite before breakfast.”

“Oh…you’re right about that.” Kyung smiled. “I’ve gotten pretty much used to breakfasts of bread and coffee when Namjoo and I were abroad, I didn’t think ahead.”

The urge to ask the man to leave was strong. Knowing that Namjoo would argue with him over being so rude made Jongin keep his mouth sewn shut.

Kyung this, Kyung that always.

“Why don’t you stay for breakfast?” Namjoo suggested to which Jongin felt his chest boil. Certainly not. Did she miss her supposed boyfriend that much?

“I wish I could.” Kyung said and Jongin narrowed his eyes. “But I have to leave for an appointment shortly.” He rose from his chair and Namjoo began to stand to but Kyung quickly ushered her back down. “Don’t get up.”

“I should at least walk you out.” Namjoo said.

“I’ll find my way out,” Kyung smiled. “Rest. Lets talk later?”

“Sure.”

They wouldn’t be seeing each other soon. Jongin would make sure of that. Right after Kyung completed his many cases there were more in line waiting for him. He’d had Secretary Hong prepare everything beforehand.

“I’ll walk you out,” Jongin offered and received a surprised glance from Kyung. After bidding Namjoo farewell again Jongin walked Kyung down the hallway toward the front door. “How is work? Not too heavy for you, is it?”

“It’s something to do,” Kyung coolly replied. “Namjoo wasn’t at her apartment this morning. I was quite surprised when she said she was here.”

Jongin turned to face the lawyer when they reached the front door. “Of course, she’s here.”

The lawyer seemed to study him for a moment before saying, “Look, I’m not sure what’s going on between you two, but Namjoo still has a lot of things to figure out. It would be best if you don’t try pushing her.”

“I don’t think she’s someone you need to worry so sincerely over,” Jongin stated. “I won’t hurt her, if that’s what you’re thinking.”

“Of course,” Kyung forced himself to agree. “I’ll just warn you one thing.”

Jongin nodded for him to go on.

“If you make Namjoo upset, I have a divorce lawyer I haven’t told her about waiting,” Kyung’s eyes turned hot with threat. “I felt she was too hasty when she asked me to find a divorce lawyer, so I held back from telling her that I already found one. If you brought her here for your own gain or whenever Namjoo becomes confident about how she feels, I’ll make my move. I know what Namjoo did to you two years ago, but she has more to lose than you do, so I’d suggest you step down if this is a game to you right now.” Holding his eyes Kyung pulled the door open, “I’ll be waiting to hear from Namjoo. And so will her brother.”

A flash of spitefulness passed through him. So Kyung was the man Namjoo shared everything with, was it? What things did the lawyer know about Namjoo that he didn’t? What was it that was in Namjoo’s heart?

Spinning around he started back into the dining room. It looked like there was more he had to do than just be sweet to her right now. 


***Namjoo's problems lie within herself whereas Jongin knows what he wants. Cowardice can take a person a long way, especially if they have long been hurt. Problems from surrounding parties will emerge later but now it's all about KaiJoo's sparking relationship. Effort are small steps and Namjoo is doing that by considering the 'now' Jongin instead of the 'then' Jongin she knew. And Jongin apologized for being mean, that's something!

***Next chapter: Counseling and a visit from Chanyeol and his wife xD