A Chance Encounter on a Friday Night

That year, the Sun Shines

Jungkook found it weird when he realised he was looking forward to Friday. He tried to pin it on the reason that it was the end of the week, and the weekend was approaching – but who was he kidding? It wasn’t as though the weekends were much exciting. Hence, that didn’t explain why he woke up a few minutes before his alarm went off.

But as he forced himself out of the comforts of his bed, his blurry vision caught hold of Jimin’s headphones that were on his desk.

He sighed. Must I return the headphones today? Will he stop coming round for me once I return the headphones to him? What will he want to do today? Will he just take the headphones and leave me alone after that? If I don’t bring them, will be insist on following me home to get them? Eomma and appa won’t be around. I could use his company. I am already used to his company. Maybe I should tell him that I was in a rush and forgot to bring them along. Maybe that’s what I will do.

Jungkook smiled and he quickly went to wash up to prepare for school.

……

And when the bell for his last class sounded, Jungkook dashed out of his classroom. As the school gate came within his view, he wanted to break out in a sprint, but he halted himself.

First, I’m not supposed to run. Second, I shouldn’t look too eager to meet Park Jimin. Jeon Jungkook is chic. Jeon Jungkook doesn’t do eager.

Instead, he sauntered up to the gate where Jimin had been waiting for him. And when Jimin noticed Jungkook, the former waved at him and smiled brightly at Jungkook. Jungkook kept his leisurely pace.

“Hi Jeon Jungkookie,” Jimin greeted Jungkook in a cheery tone.

“Good to see you again Park Jimin,” Jungkook said monotonously.

“It’s Jimin-hyung…” Jimin sighed.

Jungkook smirked. “My mum isn’t around.”

“How was school?” Jimin asked.

“It was good. Time flew by quickly,” the younger replied.

“So did you bring my headphones with you?”  Jimin asked.

“Are you here just for your headphones?” Jungkook asked. There was a tinge of disappointment in his tone.

“You did ask me to collect them from you today, didn’t you?” Jimin stated. Jimin had a hunch that Jungkook did not bring Jimin’s headphones with him.

“I did. It should be in my bag,” Jungkook said as he opened his bag and pretended to rummage through it while mumbling, “I remember putting it into my bag last night. Why isn’t it here?”

Jimin smiled knowingly at the show Jungkook was putting up.

“Oh shucks!” Jungkook exclaimed. “I repacked my bag this morning. I must have taken it out and left it on my desk and forget to pack it back in. I’m sorry Jimin. I think I left them at home. I made you waste a trip.”

Well-played Jeon Jungkook, I’m sure he believes you, Jungkook thought.

Jimin decided to play along with Jungkook’s excuse and said innocently, “Oh well, I guess there’s nothing I can do if you have forgotten the headphones. Unless you want me to accompany you home to get it from you. This time, I’m sure you would be able to find my headphones right?”

Jungkook stuttered, “Um. Yeah…”

But before Jimin could say anything, Jungkook’s handphone rang. “I’m sorry. I need to take this.”

“Hobi-hyung? What’s up?”

The voice on the other line reminded Jungkook of his band’s performance later in the evening. Jungkook responded that he would be there.

“Do you have something on?” Jimin asked after Jungkook had finished with his call 

“Yeah…I’m…afraid…I’m…sorry. A close friend has a gig tonight. I need to give him my support,” Jungkook explained.

Jimin could only manage an ‘Oh’ in disappointment.

“So I guess I can’t come over today…” Jimin continued.

“I’m sorry…I’m really sorry…”

Jimin groaned. “My headphones…” 

Jungkook felt really bad. He had totally forgotten that he was supposed to attend Hoseok’s gig that evening when he made the appointment with Jimin. And worse of all, he had purposely forgotten Jimin’s headphones so as to find an excuse to spend more time with Jimin.

“Um. I’m really sorry Jimin. You could come over to my place next Friday to collect your headphones. I hope that isn’t too much of an inconvenience. I promise I will keep myself free. Also, let me buy you a treat one of these days as a sincere apology for today.”

This was a surprising turn of events since it was somewhat unexpected coming from Jungkook and it surprised Jimin. Since it allowed Jimin to meet Jungkook again and spend more time with me to execute his plan, Jimin just had to put up with the inconvenience of not having his favourite headphones.

And seeing the guilty look on Jungkook’s face made Jimin feel sorry for Jungkook and he did not want to make things more difficult for the younger.

“Deal,” Jimin said.

“Deal,” Jungkook affirmed with a small smile which Jimin found cute and endearing. It was probably the first time Jimin saw Jungkook smile. Most of the time, Jungkook looked pretty glum and unfriendly.

Jungkook quickly bid Jimin farewell and hurried on his way.

…………………………………………………

It was evening. Taehyung and Jimin arrived found themselves in Hongdae. It was a hotspot for music gigs as it attracted the young and student group.  

They soon made their way to the said venue. There was a small crowd gathered outside the entrance.

“Taetae, how did you even find out this gig or this Jung Hoseok guy?” Jimin asked.

"Social media,” Taehyung beamed.

“Why are we here? There’s a crowd. It’s not like he would notice you,” Jimin grumbled.

“When there’s a will, there’s a way,” Taehyung shrugged.

As they neared the entrance, Jimin spotted a familiar figure amongst the crowd. Jeon Jungkook. What was he doing here? Is he here for the gig? He doesn’t seem to be into hip hop or band music if that is the genre of music Taehyung had described.

“Jeon Jungkookie,” Jimin called out.

Jungkook heard his name being called and he turned his glance towards the direction of the voice.

“Park Jimin?”

Jimin excitedly bounced over to Jungkook’s side with Taehyung following behind.

“Jeon Jungkookie! So this is why you had to blow me off this afternoon.”

“Jimin, what are you doing here?” Jungkook was a little surprised. And he noticed a guy slide next to Jimin, and held Jimin’s hands. Jungkook’s curiosity was piqued. Jungkook studied Taehyung. The guy next to Jimin was good looking with expressive and large orbs and chiselled features. Who was this guy? Why are they close?

“I’m here to catch Hysterie Friday’s gig. Well, actually more of accompanying someone,” Jimin pointed at Taehyung. “He’s a fan of their music. Jungkookie, this is Taehyung. Taehyungie, this is Jeon Jungkook.”

“So you’re Jeon Jungkook, the Jeon Jungkook? It’s great to meet you in person. I’ve heard a lot about you from Jiminie,” there was a hint of excitement in Taehyung’s tone. Taehyung flashed a broad smile at Jungkook. “I’m Taehyung but you can call me V for short. I’m Jiminie’s age, so I guess you can call me hyung.”

Why is he calling Jimin, Jiminie? What did Jimin tell him about me?

“Hi V-hyung. It’s my pleasure to meet you,” Jungkook said respectfully and bowed.

“Ya! Why do you address Taehyung as V-hyung but you won’t address me as Jimin hyung but Jimin?” Jimin protested.

But Jungkook just ignored Jimin’s complaints. Taehyung chuckled. “So I guess this is true…you refusing to address Jiminie as hyung.”

“Did Jimin tell you that?” Jungkook asked.

“Ya!” Jimin protested at Jungkook’s lack of manners.

“Jiminie did.”

Jungkook wasn’t too happy with Taehyung addressing Jimin in such an intimate way. He noticed that they were still holding hands and Jungkook’s brows furrowed.

“What else did he say about me?” Jungkook asked.

“That you’re unable to return his headphones,” Taehyung casually remarked.

Jungkook’s face turned to a shade of red. His mind was racing for an intelligent comeback but he couldn’t come up with anything.

Just then a figure came approached Jungkook. It was Hoseok.

“Kookie!” Hoseok embraced Jungkook with a near bone-crushing hug. “It’s great to see you again. Thanks for coming.”

“My pleasure Hobi-hyung. I can't breathe.”

Hoseok noticed Jimin and Taehyung who were next to Jungkook. “Kookie, are they your friends? Did you ask them along?”

Jungkook was about to disclaim his acquaintance with Jimin and Taehyung when Taehyung quickly cut in, “We are Jungkook’s friends. I just met Jungkook. But Jimin here is Jungkook’s friend. Hi, I’m Taehyung. You can call me V. I’m Jimin’s friend. We ran into Jungkook outside here. Small world isn’t it?”

Hoseok nodded and burst out energetically. “I’m Jung Hoseok. But you can call me J Hope. I’m your hope.”

There was an energetic, positive and pleasant aura to Hoseok which Taehyung noted. He knew Hoseok has lost his sight in his left eye but there was nothing in his behaviour which indicated his disability. His face was a little on the elongated side. But nonetheless he was pretty charming though Taehyung found the hope bit a little cheesy.

“Hi J Hope hyung, I’m Jimin.”

“Nice to meet you Jimin-ssi and Taehyung-ssi.”

Turning to Jungkook, Hoseok said, “I’m really glad that you are making new friends.”

Jungkook was about to protest but Hoseok invited Jimin and Taehyung into the VIP area with Jungkook. Taehyung sent a victorious smile to Jimin that things were going better than planned. Jungkook reluctantly nodded his head.

……………..

Taehyung was certainly not a fan of band or rap music but he had to admit that Hoseok was such a consummate and passionate performer on stage. He was full of energy and knew how to work the stage and rouse the crowd and get them excited. Taehyung was certainly impressed. And he was all the more impressed because he knew of Hoseok’s blindness in one eye and impending loss of sight in the other eye did not prevent him from giving it all in his performance.

While Jimin himself was rather immersed in the performance, he noted that Jungkook was somewhat lukewarm. He would cheer whenever it was Hoseok’s turn to perform or tried his best to look interested. Jimin wondered why Jungkook even showed if this wasn’t the type of music he was interested in.

Jungkook felt out of place. He wasn’t into rap music. He was more into R&B, soul and ballads, but he felt he had to support Hoseok. It was also awkward that he ended up meeting Jimin which led to Hoseok inviting Jimin and his friend Taehyung or V to join Jungkook. But it was probably better he had some company than being alone and awkward at such an event. Jungkook was still thinking about Jimin’s connection with the V guy. It was on his mind the entire performance

……………

Following the ending of the one and a half hour long gig, Jungkook, Jimin and Taehyung remained in the VIP area. 

“That was one hell of a gig,” Jimin said. “J Hope was simply amazing. He really worked the crowd. The rest of the band too. The vocalist was awesome.”

“It was great,” Taehyung said, though his tone didn’t sound too enthusiastic.

“What about you Jungkookie? What do you think?” Jimin asked.

“It was good. Hobi-hyung is just being Hobi-hyung,” he answered softly.

…………

Hoseok joined the three boys who still remained in the venue.

“Thanks for hanging around guys. I’m really famished from the performance. Shall we all have dinner together?” he suggested.

“What about your members?” Jungkook asked.

“They’ll be fine. We eat together often. But I don’t get to eat with you that often, Kookie.”

“Um…I have to go home,” Jungkook tried to make an excuse to get out of having dinner. It wasn’t that he didn’t want to have dinner with Hoseok. He wasn’t comfortable with Jimin and the V guy would be tagging along.

“Kookie, didn’t you tell me your parents are overseas? Why do you have to get home that early? Isn’t it lonely to have dinner by yourself? Come on, Kookie, have dinner with me, please?”

Jungkook couldn’t find the heart to turn Hoseok down. It’s been a few months since they had last met and he finally relented.

Hoseok did a small victory dance. Turning to Jimin and Taehyung, he asked, “So Jimin-ssi and V-ssi, care to join us?”

There was a broad smile on Taehyung’s face. “Of course, Jiminie and I would love to.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just have to post this today in celebration of Jungkook's 19th (Korean Age), 18 (International Age) Birthday! Happy Birthday Jungkookie! #HappyKooKDay #HappyJungKookDay

I wonder how the members would be celebrating for him, well, more like Jimin...

So J Hope finally appears. You will see a bit more of him in the next chapter. 

And it seems Jungkook is finally warming up to Jimin. Was Jungkook jealous of Jimin being close to V? 

Thanks for all the comments and subscriptions. Please keep them coming. Appreciate that very much. 

My other fan fics

Heaven's Boys 

KyuMin: Almost a love story

KyuMin: 60 Days 

It's You (너라고) Neorago (a YeWook fan-fic)