I can live

That year, the Sun Shines

Soon, it was the start of the summer holiday. At the start of the year, Jungkook was looking forward to this break as he would be able to visit his brother in the US. But right now, he was a little reluctant to make the trip as that meant he had to miss his dance practice with Jimin. He was originally supposed to be in the US for six weeks, but he decided to shorten his trip to three weeks which would allow him some travelling time with his brother. His parents would only be joining them for the first week which will allow the two boys to have some brotherly bonding time together.

                                                                                                                                    

Jimin was at the airport to see Jungkook off. Initially, he did not want to turn up as he felt awkward to be there since he is only a friend. But Jungkook pleaded with Jimin to be at the airport by putting on his best aegyo, and Jimin complied as he was too weak to resist Jungkook’s adorableness.

 

Jungkook surprised the older by hugging Jimin before he (Jungkook) passed through immigration.

 

“I will miss you hyung,” the younger said. Jungkook has gotten quite attached to Jimin over the weeks and months. He would be out with Jimin almost every Saturday – they would start the afternoon with dance classes. When classes ended, they would just hang out and explore the city. While Jungkook was looking forward to spending time with his hyung, he knows he will be missing Jimin’s company.

 

Jimin responded with an eye smile, “Stay safe and have a good holiday Jungkookie.”

 

……

 

Jungkook dashed excitedly towards his brother as he spotted Junghyun amongst the crowd in the arrival hall, and hugged him tightly.

 

“I missed you so much hyung,” the younger whined as he nuzzled himself into his brother’s warm embrace.

 

The older chuckled and ruffled Jungkook’s hair. “I missed you too Jungkookie.”

 

The parents appeared soon after as they were taking their own sweet time. When the older boy spotted his parents, he detached himself from Jungkook’s embrace before bowing respectfully and giving his parents a hug.

 

The first week of the holiday was spent on road trips and sightseeing. Mrs Jeon also cooked when she had the time knowing that her eldest son missed her cooking. The family had an enjoyable time together and taking a lot of photos to commemorate their holiday time. Before they knew it, one week had passed pretty quickly and the parents had to return to Seoul. The boys didn’t miss the parents one bit. They were pretty much happy to be on their own – freedom from the parents.

 

The two boys travelled from California to New York to engage in more sightseeing, food and entertainment. Junghyun, Jungkook’s brother, noted Jungkook’s mood seemed bright and happy throughout his entire journey since Jungkook’s arrival in California. Jungkook appeared to be more active and outgoing. It was a nice and surprising change from the moody, quiet and brooding teenager Junghyun had known. He also noticed Jungkook would be texting on his handphone with a smile. On the last night of their holiday, Junghyun could not help but to want to talk to Jungkook about his recent change in behaviour. He has wanted to do so, but their parents being around made it a little difficult and inconvenient for them to have a heart to heart talk to another without their parents knowing and listening in. Junghyun had heard a few things about a certain Park Jimin from Hoseok, and he wanted to know more.

 

“Jungkookie…” the older boy called out.

 

“Ne, hyung?”

 

“I’ve noticed you been occupied with texting on your handphone. You know I don’t remember you being so engrossed with your handphone before…”

 

Jungkook could only mutter an apology and quickly slipped his handphone back into his jeans pocket.

 

“You seem different too…more cheerful…” Junghyun continued.

 

Jungkook hummed in response.

 

“Who are you texting?”

 

“No one in particular,” Jungkook tried to brush his brother’s questioning off.

 

“That’s a lie. Come on, since when did you become so shy around me?” Junghyun teased.

 

“Am I not your favourite and most trusted person, Jungkookie? It seems like I have been replaced,” Junghyun frowned.

 

“No, you’re still my favourite person in this world!” Jungkook protested and quickly hugged Junghyun.

 

“But I feel like you’re ‘cheating’ on me,” Junghyun continued with his teasing.

 

“Even if there is another person, I still love Junghyun hyung the most,” Jungkook declared.

 

“So there is someone?”

 

Jungkook remained silent and tried to avert eye contact with his brother.

 

“Has Jungkookie gotten himself a girlfriend? I’m sure many girls have confessed to uri Jungkookie. After all uri Jungkookie is so handsome,” Junghyun chuckled.

 

“No…hyung…I don’t have a girlfriend…” Jungkook blurted.

 

“Then is it a boyfriend? It is okay if uri Jungkookie is gay. Hyung will support Jungkookie even though Jungkookie likes boys.”

 

There was faint blush creeping onto Jungkook’s cheeks.

 

“I don’t have a boyfriend too,” Jungkook uttered.

 

“That boy happens to be Park Jimin,” Junghyun teased.

 

“Hyung!” Jungkook whined. Jungkook wanted the ground to open up and swallow him whole.

 

“Jimin hyung is just a friend…he’s also my dance teacher…how do you even know about Jimin hyung?”

 

“Hoseok…”

 

“Aish…Hobi-hyung…” Jungkook cursed.

 

“Hoseok told me Jimin takes good care of you. And you two go out every week…”

 

“That’s because we have class…”

 

“I’ve heard good things about Jimin from Hoseok. And I approve both of you dating,” Junghyun teased.

 

“Hyung!” Jungkook was flustered. His face had a deep flush.

 

“Jungkookie, do you like Jimin?” Junghyun’s tone was that of concern and seriousness. “Be honest with hyung okay? I really want to know. Because I care for you, and I want you to be happy…”

 

Jungkook paused for a moment and nodded his head shyly.

 

“So tell me all about this Jimin guy. I want to know more about him from your perspective,” Junghyun said.

 

Jungkook told his brother about how he met Jimin and the events that followed. He did omit certain details about the accidental kiss in the train for fear of his brother’s teasing. Junghyun could not help but notice the twinkle in Jungkook’s eyes as the younger spoke about Jimin. Junghyun was really happy for Jungkook that his younger brother found a good friend who was really caring towards him and was able to break down Jungkook’s prickly self. He was glad that Jungkook met someone who inspired Jungkook to want to live life to his fullest and not mope about his sickness and possible death. Junghyun made a mental note to meet Jimin and thank Jimin for bringing sunshine into Jungkook’s life.

 

“I wish I could be like Jimin hyung,” Jungkook said dreamily. “He’s always full of life and b with optimism. He has a bright smile that makes the people he interacts with happy. And he’s a good dancer too…”

 

“This Jimin hyung of yours sounds so perfect. I’m so jealous that he took my Jungkookie’s attention,” Junghyun teased.

 

“Hyunnie-hyung is still the best,” Jungkook gave his thumbs up.

 

“All this talk about your Jimin hyung…”

 

“He’s not my Jimin-hyung…”

 

Junghyun chuckled. “I am very curious about him. I think I would like to meet him.”

 

Jungkook gasped. He looked startled.

 

“Why do you want to meet Jimin hyung?” Jungkook stammered.

 

“I’m just curious in meeting the guy who has managed to steal my brother’s heart…”
 

“Hyung…!!!”

 

“Am I not allowed to meet him?”

 

“It’s just that…”

 

“Just what…?”

 

Jungkook stammered to find an excuse.

 

“You can’t think of any excuse Jungkookie,” Junghyun teased. “I guess you just have to arrange for us to meet.”

 

“Oh by the way Jungkookie, not returning his headphones so that you’ll have an excuse to see him again – real smooth, Jungkookie, real smooth. Don’t tell me you’re still keeping them?” Junghyun continued with his teasing causing Jungkook to bury his face in his palms in embarrassment.

 

……

 

Jungkook spent his last week in the US mostly resting at Junghyun’s place since he had already toured the sights in the first week of the holidays. The brothers would compete with one another in video games and Junghyun would take Jungkook out to his favourite places for food. It was a relaxing week and the brothers enjoyed their bonding time together.

 

It was towards the end of the holiday did Junghyun decide to reveal a secret which he had heard from his parents.

 

“Jungkookie, I’ve got some good news for you. I heard it from mum and dad. They are supposed to tell you at the opportune time but I just want to share this piece of good news with you. But please don’t bring this matter up in front of them. You know how they are. Can you promise me?”

 

Jungkook nodded. “I promise.”

 

“I heard that you would get a heart transplant.”

 

Jungkook stared at Junghyun in surprise.

 

“You know you will never make it past 22 or at most 24 if you are lucky enough,” Junghyun sighed.

 

“All I heard is there is a plan for you to have a heart transplant by the time you are 21. I don’t know how it will happen. I don’t know the details. But dad and mum seem fairly certain it will happen.”

 

“Does this mean I have a chance to live…grow old...do the things I want…maybe become an artiste…?”

 

“Well…I’m not too sure…you can ask Dr Kim about that. But at least you have a chance to extend your lifespan,” Junghyun replied.

 

Jungkook leapt for joy. “Woohoo! I might be able to live. I might be able to fulfil my dreams. I might be able to do sports! I might be able to sing and dance on stage…I might be able to be with…”

 

He paused when he caught Junghyun snickering.

 

“Shall I finish the sentence for you…?”

 

“No…” Jungkook was blushing.

 

“Be with Jimin hyung…” Junghyun continued nonetheless and burst out laughing.

 

“Hyung!” Jungkook whined in embarrassment. He quickly stormed off to his bedroom and shut the door because Junghyun had actually vocalised what Jungkook was thinking. Jungkook wants to be with Jimin. And if Jungkook can actually live, perhaps he will be able to be around Jimin for a long time.

 

He reached for his handphone and sent a text to Jimin. “Hyung, I’ve got some good news for you. I’ll share it with you when I get back. I can’t wait.”

 

…..

 

Jungkook was excited when he returned to Korea. The first person he texted was Jimin informing him that he was back in Korea. Jungkook would have met Jimin immediately if he could but he was exhausted from the flight, so Jungkook arranged to meet Jimin two days later. Jungkook also had to attend his regular medical consultation with Jin.

 

Jungkook was the last patient of the day. As he waited for his turn, he noticed a rather tall male lounging at the end of the sofa whilst reading a journal. He was wearing a large pair of plastic framed specs, had short hair and dressed rather sharply and professionally. He looked pretty young and somewhat around Jin’s age. He wondered if the male is a patient or another of Jin’s friends. As he thought about it, the receptionist announced it was his turn to go in.

 

Jin and Jungkook were happy to see one another. Jin began with his usual concerns about Jungkook’s health.

 

“How was your holiday Jungkookie? Did you have a good time in the US? Did you feel unwell during the trip?”

 

“The trip was good. I didn’t feel unwell during the trip, thankfully.”

 

Jungkook then recounted his travels excitedly which Jin patiently listened to.

 

When he finished recounting his travels, Jungkook asked Jin the question which Jungkook wanted to know most.

 

“Jin hyung, could I ask you something?” he gingerly asked.

 

“Sure, ask away.”

 

“My hyung said that I would be getting a heart transplant by the time I turn 21. I just want to find out if the process is risky…if I would be able to have a normal life after that…like do sports…dance…”

 

Jin momentarily froze at Jungkook’s question but he quickly came round to respond.

 

“Jungkookie, it is an operation. There are risks. There is also the possibility of rejection of the donor’s heart. But recovery shouldn’t take too long. It is recommended that you exercise to regain your strength and to keep you strong. This would be done under the supervision of a therapist. You won’t be able to perform strenuous exercise immediately of course…but studies have shown that high intensity exercise might be fine. But this contradicts studies that only gentle exercises should be done.”

 

Jungkook’s expression fell from disappointment on hearing Jin’s words.

 

“Does it mean…I can’t dance…play ball games…?”

 

“You probably could…but you probably can’t push yourself beyond extremes. Jungkookie, don’t worry about it at this stage. We’ll assess your condition after your transplant.”

 

“Will you be performing the operation?”

 

“If I’m still your doctor then, I will be performing the operation.”

 

“What? What do you mean by ‘if’? Why won’t you be my doctor?” Jungkook asked agitatedly.

 

“Well, things do happen. If your parents prefer another doctor…or if I am too busy…or go away…”

 

“No, I want only you to perform my operation,” Jungkook insisted. “I only trust you, hyung. I will tell my parents that I want only you.”

 

“There are other good doctors too…”

 

“But I want only you…hyung…”

 

“Don’t worry Jungkookie…I’m most likely going to perform your operation. I might have another doctor to assist me though…”

 

Jungkook nodded. He felt relieved by Jin’s reassurance. “Hyung, I have one more question.”

 

Jin nodded as a signal for Jungkook to continue his question.

 

“Where will the heart come from?”

 

Jin was once again stunned by Jungkook’s question. “It comes from a donor, someone who willed his or her organs after their death. Your name is on a registry for those awaiting a heart transplant.”

 

It was a blatant lie, but Jin had to do it.

 

“But why are my parents and hyung sure it would be before I turn 21?” Jungkook quizzed. “How are they able to predict such things?”

 

“Because your condition is special…if you don’t have the heart transplant by then, your life will be in danger…”

 

This wasn’t a lie. That was the truth.

 

“Why didn’t you mention about the heart transplant to me before if you knew about it?” Jungkook probed.

 

“Well, I spoke to your parents and they thought it would be best if they were the ones to break the news to you,” Jin replied smoothly.

 

Jungkook nodded.

 

“Anyway Jungkookie, how is everything between you and Jiminie?”

 

“I missed Jimin hyung when I was in the US. But we texted every day. I really want to meet him soon and share this good news about my heart transplant with him,” Jungkook gushed excitedly.

 

Jin could only force a smile.

 

“So are you meeting Jiminie soon?”

 

“Tomorrow. I can’t wait,” Jungkook said excitedly.

 

The consultation ended with Jin escorting Jungkook out of his office. As they exited Jin’s office, Jungkook noticed the male rise and stride towards Jin.

 

“Hey, Jin-hyung,” his voice was deep and warm.

 

“Hi Joonie,” Jin smiled as he let his fingers gently graze Namjoon’s hand.

 

“And this is Jeon Jungkook, Joonie. Jungkookie, meet Kim Namjoon. He’s also a brilliant doctor and a good friend.” 

 

……

 

Jungkook arrived before the appointed time with Jimin by almost half an hour. He was anticipating their meeting. He found a seat in the café. He shifted about in his seat and he played around with his handphone restlessly switching between his Facebook and Instagram accounts.

 

He reached for his backpack and took out a box and smiled. How would he give this to Jimin? Should he do it coolly? Or should he do it excitedly? His mind replayed many scenarios on how he will pass the gift to Jimin, and Jimin’s bright smile lighting up when he opens the box and sees the gift.

 

Jimin arrived about 10 minutes before their appointed time. Jungkook spotted Jimin and waved excitedly at the older boy. Jimin smiled and stride towards Jungkook.

 

As Jimin approached, Jungkook did an unexpected thing. He stood up and hugged Jimin. “Jimin-hyung.”

 

The two boys remained in an embrace for quite a few moments as Jungkook took in Jimin’s scent – the comforting scent which was Jimin’s.

 

“Since when did Jungkookie turn into a hug monster? You’ve hugged me at the airport, and now you’re hugging me that much? Do you miss me that much? Am I that attractive and nice to hug?” Jimin teased.

 

“No,” Jungkook quickly retorted as he released himself from the embrace and quickly sat down. Jungkook’s face was a little red. “We’ve been texting daily throughout my trip. I don’t miss you at all.”

 

Jimin chuckled and sat down. He decided against taking the teasing further.

 

“So what is that you want to tell me?” Jimin asked. He did not ask about Jungkook’s trip because the younger had been giving Jimin regular updates throughout his journey.

 

“It’s a piece of exciting and good news. But before that, I’ve got a present for you,” Jungkook said. He reached for the box in the box in his bag. Jungkook smiled and presented the box to Jimin. “I hope you like the gift Jiminie hyung. It’s my way of thanking you for all the time and efforts you have spent on me…for being this wonderful, loving and caring hyung.”

 

Jimin’s eyes widened in surprise before he broke out into his signature eye smile. “Thank you Jungkookie. Can I open it?”

 

Jungkook nodded.

 

Jimin lifted the lid and found a nice stylish snapback sitting snugly in the box. It was his favourite brand and one of the few rare ones which retailed only in the US.

 

Jimin’s smile was so radiant and Jungkook was secretly pleased he has made Jimin so happy.

 

“Thanks…Jungkookie…this must have cost you a lot…did you go through much trouble to get this? I really love it. Thanks Jungkookie,” Jimin gushed.

 

Jimin took off the snapback he was wearing and put Jungkook’s gift on. “How do I look?”

 

“Stylish…maybe cute,” Jungkook replied. “It looks good on you.’

 

“I prefer handsome but I’ll accept stylish and cute. Thank you so much Jungkookie. I will treasure this gift. I will wear it as often as I can,” Jimin gushed as he kept the snapback on.

 

“So now you’ve given me the present, what is the news you want to share?”

 

“Hyung told me the other day that I would receive a heart transplant,” Jungkook beamed.

 

Jimin gaped at Jungkook’s announcement. He was shocked. Jimin’s gaze was transfixed on Jungkook’s radiant smile. Jimin wanted to smile but he couldn’t. He wanted to find words to say but he couldn’t. His mind was in a whirl. Does this mean his time is about to be up? Does this mean his plan is now a failure? How much does Jungkook know? Is everything over? He was preoccupied with the questions that he didn’t notice Jungkook jabber excitedly.

 

“Jimin hyung, this must come as a shock, right? Aren’t you happy for me? This means that I can live. I may have a shot at fulfilling my dreams. I could possibly be an artiste and sing and dance on stage. I could possibly do more vigorous sports but Jin hyung is still a little hesitant about it. Jimin hyung! Jimin hyung! Are you okay? You seem to be spacing out.” 

 

“I’m just surprised at the good news Jungkookie,” Jimin forced a smile.

 

“Are you happy for me hyung? You are happy for me right?” Jungkook was all bubbly and bouncing in his seat.

 

Jimin felt his insides churn. His body was quivering. How is he going to respond? Retaining his fake smile, he squeaked, “Of course I’m happy for you, Jungkookie.”

 

“I’m really so happy Jimin hyung. I don’t have to die. I can live. I’ve never felt this happy in my life. It’s so good to know you are able to live…I want to live hyung. I want to make every day count. I don’t want to be depressed about when I’m going to die. I want to live. I really want to live hyung.”

 

These words are stabbing Jimin in his chest.

 

“I can dream of a future. I can have dreams. I can fulfil my dreams…I can fall in love…” Jungkook babbled.

 

What about me? Jimin thought to himself. While Jimin wants Jungkook to live perhaps out of his love and fondness for the younger boy which Jimin remained oblivious to, Jimin knows for that to happen, he has to give up his own life.

 

I want to live too Jungkookie. I don’t want to die. Is there no other way?

 

I thought that I could get over with the knowledge of Jungkook living, but I just can’t…not when I know I have to die.

 

“Jimin hyung, if I get the heart transplant, it means I’m going to be around for a long time. I’m going to bug you all day to teach me how to dance. You can teach me all the complicated and strenuous dance moves once I get better. Hopefully Jin hyung will allow me learn them…”

 

I wish I could Jungkookie, but I won’t be around…

 

“Promise me hyung? Hyung…?”

 

“I promise you Jungkookie…”

 

“You have to teach me all that you know…” Jungkook said.

 

Jimin nodded.

 

“Jimin hyung, if I can live…it means I see you every day for a very long time…” Jungkook’s face started to turn a little crimson as he lowered his head shyly. “I would like to be with you for a very long time…I mean…hang around with you…will you mind…?”

 

Was that Jungkook’s love confession? Jungkook’s words pierced Jimin’s heart.

 

Jimin’s mind whirled. No, that’s not a love confession. He didn’t say he loves you, Jimin. He just says he wants to be around you. It doesn’t mean anything.

 

I want to be with you for a long time too, Jungkookie, but this isn’t possible.

 

“I don’t mind…Jungkookie…I would like for you to hang around me,” Jimin responded with a quivering voice.

 

But Jungkook was too absorbed in his own happiness to notice Jimin’s unease.

 

“Really? I’m so happy Jimin hyung…I will live my life well…so I will not let the donor of the heart down…”

 

I’m the donor of your heart Jungkookie…

 

“Jungkookie, do you know when are you scheduled to have your heart transplant?”

 

“Before I turn 21…”

 

This means I have one to two years left, Jimin thought.

 

“Jungkookie, do you know how your heart transplant is going to come about?” Jimin was trying to fish for more information on how much Jungkook knows.

 

“My hyung didn’t say anything. I asked Jin hyung. He only said my heart is potentially from some donor who willed his or her organs for donation after his or her death. But whoever the person is, I’m grateful to the person…because of the person I can live. I want to live Jimin hyung. I’m excited at the things I can do if I can live…I really am…”

 

Jimin could only nod and smile in response.

 

“What about me?” Jimin thought to himself. “I won’t be able to be with you Jungkookie.”  

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So Jungkook has found out that he will get a heart transplant? And this sparks his will to want to live. Poor thing doesn't know that his heart will come from Jimin. Will he still want Jimin's heart then? 

Poor Jimin has to listen to Jungkook talk about the heart transplant knowing that he is the donor. 

How do you dear reader feel for Jungkook and Jimin?

Isn't there any way for them to live happily together forever after?

I added a light-touch of NamJin in this chapter. Just a hint and sprinkle there. 

My next update will be around end June. I'm going away to Italy for my last unit of study. Meanwhile, please comment on this story. I love comments. And if you have not subscribed to the story, do subscribe to the story so you'll know as soon as it is updated.

See you guys and gals in June.