The First Hint of Darkness

That year, the Sun Shines

It was Sunday. Jimin was having breakfast when Taehyung walked into the kitchen yawning.

 

“Good morning Taetae.”

 

“Morning Jiminie. You’re up pretty early considering you returned rather late last night.”

 

“I’m planning on heading to the gym. Do you want to join me?”

 

“I’ll pass,” Taehyung replied lazily as he stifled a yawn. “I’m meeting Hoseok-hyung.”

 

“You’re meeting Hoseok-hyung quite frequently these days,” Jimin noted.

 

Taehyung grabbed a bowl and spoon, pulled out the chair lazily and sat down, and poured himself some cereal and milk. “Sort of….how was your date with Jungkook?”

 

“We went to a fair and had a lot of fun. There was a weird episode we had at a fortune telling stall. When it was my turn for my fortune to be read, she called me a monster…and said I wasn’t human.”

 

Taehyung nearly choked on his cereal and burst out into laughter. He flashed his boxy smile. “See Jiminie, I told you, we’re aliens!”

 

Jimin groaned.

 

“I would really like to meet her. I’ll probably tell her that I’m an alien…and start speaking some weird language,” Taehyung chuckled.

 

“But you know she’s right. We’re clones…we’re not exactly human…we’re monsters to those who don’t know what we are,” Taehyung’s tone changed to be serious. “Anyway how did Jeon Jungkook react?”

 

“He was pissed. And he told her off.”

 

“That was unexpected,” Taehyung remarked. “Maybe I should get Hoseok-hyung to visit the fair with me later.”

 

“Enough of that weird fortune-teller for now. I’ve got good news from Jin-hyung,” Jimin wanted a change of subject.

 

Taehyung cocked his eyes in anticipation.

 

“He has gotten our identification ready so we could apply for college or a job. He wants to have dinner sometime this week to pass our IDs to us. When are you free?”

 

Taehyung clapped excitedly. “That’s really good news Jiminie. We could have dinner on Friday.”

 

“Do you know what this means Jiminie?”

 

Jimin shook his head. He did not understand what Taehyung was trying to get at.

 

“This means we’re one step towards becoming normal people!” Taehyung exclaimed. “We could attend college, work…”

 

“Yeah,” Jimin replied enthusiastically.

 

“Do you want go to college Jiminie?”

 

“Yeah…but I haven’t quite decided on what to study yet. What about you?”

 

“Same…I don’t know what to study. We’ve never really thought about this during our time at the orphanage…college and work…the adults never really discussed this with us…perhaps they’ve never really thought about us making it to college…”

 

“Meanwhile, I want to earn some money…teach dance…or something…” Jimin said excitedly. “I can’t wait…maybe major in dance or teaching or something…”

 

“At least you got something to look forward to Jiminie…”

 

“Yeah…”

 

And amidst the excitement of having a future to look forward to, Jimin suddenly came to a realisation that he needs to stay alive in order to attend college, to become a dance teacher. However, his future will have to come at Jungkook’s expense. And he felt guilty for wanting these dreams…for wanting to stay alive…he was angry with himself for being selfish and being excited and wanting these things. He felt really torn inside. Finally there was something he could look forward to and hope for…but…this will come as a result of Jungkook giving up and losing hope. 

 

“What’s wrong Jiminie?” Taehyung noticed that Jimin had become quiet all of a sudden.

 

“Nothing…”

 

“It’s about Jeon Jungkook is it?”

 

“Taetae…I don’t want to…”

 

It was as though Taehyung could read Jimin’s thoughts. “There’s nothing wrong for you to have these dreams or wanting to stay alive. You can be selfish.”

 

“Thanks Taetae,” Jimin smiled.

 

Jimin decided to change the subject. “So how are things with you Hoseok hyung? What have you guys been doing?”

 

Taehyung shrugged. “Nothing much…just hanging out…have meals…met his dance friends…his band…just going out to party…”

 

“What do you think of Hoseok-hyung?”

 

“Loud…obnoxious…tries to act funny but he’s not…he is just so exaggerated with his actions, words and expression…he’s just a try hard…” Taehyung complained.

 

“That sounds harsh,” Jimin commented. “He seems like a nice, friendly, caring, enthusiastic sort of person.”

 

“When you have to spend time watching his loud antics…I think my criticism is valid…” Taehyung said.

 

“But Taetae, you’re weird…so maybe you’re not the best person to criticise Hoseok-hyung,” Jimin pointed.

 

Taehyung huffed at Jimin’s comment as Jimin chuckled.

 

……

 

Jung Hoseok…

 

He knows he seems loud and exaggerated. He knows he tries to be funny and make people laugh. He knows that some people hate him for those traits. He knows that people see him irritating and a try-hard. They think he is a fool.

 

And he doesn’t mind that one bit, because Hoseok knows he isn’t what people think he is.

 

His antics, his cheerfulness and exuberance are just his way of coping with his blindness and impending blindness. This is his defence mechanism and escape. He doesn’t want any pity from the world. He’d rather people see him as a fool than as someone pathetic and pitiful. He doesn’t want to show his weakness to anyone. Perhaps the only people who are allowed to see him as his weakest are his immediate family members and his doctor.

 

That’s why he designed this loud persona for himself who is full of energy, always smiling and playing a fool…being silly…and all about fun…

 

Hoseok took his time selecting a comfortable and fashionable outfit to wear on his outing with Taehyung.

 

Hoseok has a favourable impression of Taehyung. Taehyung talks about the most random of topics…and has an interesting and unorthodox way of thinking. He also refers himself as an alien. The 4D-personality of Taehyung is endearing to Hoseok and makes him laugh – and like how they plan to bring Jimin and Jungkook together. But Hoseok has a feeling that something is up with Taehyung. Hoseok feels it. While Taehyung seems like a straightforward person, Hoseok thinks Taehyung is hiding something. The way Taehyung reacts enthusiastically to Hoseok…laughing alongside Hoseok…interested in what Hoseok says…makes it unnatural to Hoseok…it is as though Taehyung is trying to get into his good books.

 

Yet there is something about Taehyung which draws Hoseok towards him. It’s like Taehyung’s weirdness matches his silly antics. And they’ve had fun drinking themselves silly at parties, laughing loudly together. It’s like the way they collaborated in an unspoken way to bring Jimin and Jungkook together. It is as though they had some telepathy or they could read each other’s minds. Was it just a coincidence?

 

Hoseok may appear as a fool, but he isn’t stupid…he can be quiet, sensitive and perspective if he wants to.

 

Hoseok hopes Taehyung is really sincere towards him. But then again what does Taehyung want of him, a person who is about to go blind when he has nothing to offer to Taehyung.

 

Will Taehyung even be willing to befriend Hoseok when Hoseok becomes blind? Hoseok hopes this friendship would at least last.

 

Hoseok decides to brush all negative and worrying thoughts off. Life is too short to be bogged down by negative things. He just wants to enjoy his time with Taehyung today.

 

……

 

Hoseok spotted Taehyung at the end of a long and busy crossing intersection where they are supposed to meet. Hoseok waved excitedly at Taehyung hoping the boy would notice him. Taehyung did and he waved back at Hoseok.

 

The pedestrian lights turned green and Hoseok started to cross the road, gathering his pace with each step. All of a sudden Hoseok’s vision became pitch black. He continued to take a few steps forward thinking his vision in his remaining good eye – his right eye would return. But it did not, and he only bumped into the pedestrians who only cursed at him and pass snide remarks about him not watching where he was going.

 

Fear gripped Hoseok. This never happened before. He knew he would eventually lose his sight. Is this it? Will he never see again? He thought he was prepared for this moment when he would lose his sight in both eyes completely. He thought he would not be afraid, but at this moment, he was afraid. He froze in his position, unable to move or to avoid the crowd that were brushing past him or pushing him. Hoseok felt someone push him. He lost his balance and fell to the ground in the middle of the road. People continued to brush past him without anyone offering him any assistance.

 

He thought bitterly to himself. “Why would anyone help me? People are too busy with their own lives to worry about someone who is blind. Besides I don’t have a cane or a sign which says I am blind or I’m going blind in one eye.”

 

Just then Hoseok heard a familiar deep voice. “Come on hyung, let’s go. Trust me hyung. We have to go.”

 

It was Taehyung. He didn’t say anything more. He only felt Taehyung grabbing him and pulling him up. Hoseok was still in shock and he could only surrender himself totally onto Taehyung. Never did Hoseok felt so weak and helpless, but at the same time grateful. He was thankful that it was Taehyung. Hoseok felt a firm grip on his arm. He knew it was Taehyung as Taehyung led him hurriedly and safely across the street to the honking of irate drivers. 

 

Taehyung was still holding Hoseok’s arm and led him to a nearby café and settled Hoseok down on the outside seats and began fussing over him and checking him for injuries. “You scraped your arm. It’s bleeding but thankfully it’s not so serious. Wait here. Don’t wander off. I’ll see if the café has a first aid kit. We need to clean your wounds. Wouldn’t want the wounds infected.”

 

Hoseok was still in shock from what had happened that he did not notice the stinging pain on his arms.

 

Fortunately, the café’s staff was helpful, and provided some medical supplies to Taehyung to clean Hoseok’s wounds. Taehyung led Hoseok to the washroom and let the running water rinse Hoseok’s wounds. It stung the older male and he flinched. When Taehyung was done, he led Hoseok back into the café and applied ointment on Hoseok’s wounds. Hoseok winced in pain. He blinked his eyes due to the pain. And he realised he regained his sight back in his remaining good eye.

 

A gush of relief overtook Hoseok as he began to cry.

 

“Hyung, are you okay? Does it hurt?” Taehyung asked gently.

 

Hoseok grabbed Taehyung into a hug and sobbed as Taehyung patted Hoseok. “V, it was really scary. I lost my sight in my right eye earlier. I thought I have lost my sight for good. I thought I wouldn’t ever see again.”

 

“I know…” Taehyung mutter softly.

 

“Can you see me now?” Taehyung asked.

 

But Hoseok didn’t respond to Taehyung’s question but Taehyung could have guessed that Hoseok has regained his sight. It was probably a temporary loss of vision. Taehyung had mixed feelings. He was happy that Hoseok didn’t lose his sight completely, not for Hoseok’s sake, but for his own (Taehyung) sake – at least it still allowed him some time to execute his plan. If Hoseok has lost his vision, he might want the transplant soon and his plans would be scuppered and Taehyung would lose his sight.

 

Hoseok was reduced to a crying mess as he choked over his words. “When the fateful day comes, I thought I wouldn’t be afraid. I thought I wouldn’t mind. I told myself that I am prepared for it. But when I lost my sight in the middle of the road, I was really scared. I forgot that I was in the middle of the road. I really didn’t know what to do. All those images I had just seen moments ago...I can’t see them anymore. The only thoughts that flashed through my mind was that I can’t see anymore. Everything was black. My world suddenly descended into darkness. I wasn’t prepared V. I don’t think I am prepared to lose my vision. I’m not ready to let go yet. I don’t want to lose my vision, V. I don’t think I will be ever prepared. I am scared V. I’m scared of the darkness…”

 

Taehyung did not know how to comfort the fragile Hoseok. He was used to seeing Hoseok all loud and cheerful. While Hoseok might have shown a bit of his sensitive side after the dance competition, this was a situation which Taehyung was unable to react. He could pretend to be interested in Hoseok’s stories and pretend to laugh along to Hoseok’s jokes or pretend to be as loud and obnoxious, but he was unprepared to pretend to deal with this scenario.

 

Taehyung allowed Hoseok to hug him and gently patted Hoseok without saying anything. It was only after a while when Hoseok cries have subsided into soft whimpers and he had calmed down did Taehyung finally speak, “Hyung, should we get you to the hospital? You probably need a check-up.”

 

Hoseok released his grip on Taehyung. “I don’t want to go to the hospital. I don’t need a check-up. I don’t need the doctor to tell me I’m going blind.”

 

“But hyung…what happens if you suffer another temporary loss of vision? This concerns your health. You should go to the hospital immediately.”

 

“My doctor isn’t around anyway. The doctors can’t do much for me anyway. I’ll go blind eventually,” Hoseok said in a defeated tone.

 

“But hyung…” Taehyung was surprised at his own sudden concern for Hoseok.

 

“I don’t want to go the hospital now. I’ll go down tomorrow,” Hoseok said softly. He paused for a few moments. “Can we just stay here for a while, please?”

 

Taehyung nodded. “But let’s get you cleaned up. Your face looks terribly messed up.”

 

Hoseok forced a smile. Hoseok rose from his seat and Taehyung followed him. “V, I’m fine. I can go to the washroom myself.”

 

“Hyung…” Taehyung protested.

 

“V, I’m hungry and thirsty. Are you hungry too? Could you get us some food and drink? Perhaps a mixture of something savoury and sweet to eat please? And could you order me a cold mocha latte please?” Hoseok tried to play it cool, but his voice was quivering.

 

Taehyung nodded. So while Hoseok went to wash up, Taehyung went to place the orders.

 

Hoseok returned after five minutes. If he had taken any longer, Taehyung would have marched into the washroom to check if Hoseok was alright. The food was served not long after. Taehyung ordered a burger for Hoseok and a grilled chicken sandwich for himself. He also ordered a cold mocha latte which Hoseok requested and a chocolate fudge cake for Hoseok. He went with an ice-cold tea to calm himself down.

 

“Thank you so much V,” Hoseok smiled when the food arrived. “I’ll eat well.”

 

Taehyung could tell that Hoseok’s smile was forced. He also noted Hoseok was taking his own time with his meal, cutting the burger into small pieces and taking small bites at his food. The air was really quiet between them and it made Taehyung a little uncomfortable. They spent half of the afternoon in the café in silence.

 

“Hyung, do you want to go home?”

 

“Not yet…”

 

“Maybe it’ll be better…”

 

“Let’s go watch a movie…” Hoseok suggested.

 

Taehyung only nodded.

 

As they had some time before the movie, Hoseok decided to walk aimlessly around the mall while Taehyung followed. Hoseok then went to an arcade to play some games as Taehyung just looked on. Normally Hoseok will be all energetic and excited, but he just seems listless and sad. He wasn’t excited when he hit a high score for one of the games. Hoseok merely sighed and moved on to another game as Taehyung tagged along.

 

Even the movie did not lift Hoseok’s mood. It was a comedy but Hoseok did not laugh one bit. He merely stared intently at the screen while reaching for the popcorn or his drink from time to time.

 

It was evening when they finished the movie. Taehyung suggested dinner and Hoseok agreed. Once again, it was a quiet meal.

 

“Hyung, it’s time to go home,” Taehyung said. “Let me send you home.”

 

“Are you tired V?” Hoseok ignored Taehyung’s suggestion and replied with a question instead. 

 

“I’ m not.”

 

“Will you stay out for a while more with me?” Hoseok asked softly.

 

“Are you planning on getting yourself drunk?” Taehyung questioned.

 

Hoseok shook his head. “Don’t worry V. I’m feeling down, yes, but I don’t think I want to wake up with a hangover tomorrow.”

 

“Thank goodness,” Taehyung muttered.

 

“Let’s go to a park or something,” Hoseok suggested.

 

…..

 

It was a starry night. The moon was at its brightest due to the lack of a cloud cover. They found a nice quiet spot in one of the parks in Seoul and gazed at the skies.

 

“It’s a nice night V,” Hoseok said.

 

“It is…”

 

Hoseok shut his eyes for a few moments before opening them again. “I have this image of this scene in my mind now. So whenever I miss the starlight and moonlight, I’ll just rely on this last image I have in mind…I have many images in mind…I guess it’s time to take them out…I’ll be fine…I’ll just rely on my imagination…”

 

“Hyung…”

 

“Even if I wake up tomorrow without my vision, I should have no regrets,” Hoseok said in a melancholic tone.

 

Hoseok turned to face Taehyung and studied Taehyung. “V, can you smile for me? You know, one of those boxy smiles.”

 

Taehyung could feel his heart breaking at Hoseok’s words. He forced himself to smile but it came out pretty unnatural.

 

“Come on V,” Hoseok encouraged.

 

Taehyung looked a way for a moment, took a deep breath before turning his gaze back to Hoseok with his boxy smile.

 

“That’s perfect, V. Thank you,” Hoseok shut his eyes for a few moments and opened them again.

 

“V, you’re really handsome. You have a pair of sparkling, lively eyes. I love your smile. I like the blank look when you’re spacing out…”

 

Hoseok’s words seemed like a dagger which are piercing Taehyung’s heart. This shouldn’t be happening. He shouldn’t feel anything towards Hoseok…be that sadness or pity…but why does feel he is on the verge of tears.

 

“Thank you V. I’ll remember your face. You’ll be one of the last people whose faces I’ll remember if I ever wake up tomorrow with my sight gone…I wish I had time to see Jungkook one last time…” Hoseok sighed.

 

“Hyung, you’re not going to wake up tomorrow with your vision gone,” Taehyung protested.

 

“It’s going to happen. It might happen the next moment…it might happen tonight…it might happen when I wake up tomorrow…what happened earlier is a signal to me…the outcome is inevitable,” Hoseok said with a tone of resignation in his voice.

 

Taehyung could feel his eyes getting wet.

 

“I’m thankful you were there for me V. You didn’t leave me on the road…”

 

“What are you talking about? How could I leave you alone? Are we not friends? That’s the least I could do…” Taehyung protested as his tears began to fall.

 

“V, I’m thankful for what you’ve done for me today…from the time you took care of me at the traffic crossing…up till now…” Hoseok smiled. “I’m just sorry we didn’t have much fun today.”

 

Hoseok turned and hugged Taehyung which surprised Taehyung. “Don’t cry, V.”

 

Hoseok released his grip on Taehyung. He searched for a tissue in his pocket and dapped Taehyung’s face.

 

“It’s late, let’s go home V,” Hoseok said as he rose. “I’ll see you home.”

 

“Hyung,” Taehyung said as he got up. “I should be the one seeing you home. What happens if…?”

 

“Don’t worry, V. I’ll be fine. If anything happens, my family is around. I can give them a call. Now, let’s go home. I’m tired and I need to see the doctor tomorrow.”

 

Taehyung nodded.  “Is that a promise? Let me know how it went.”

 

“I promise.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's been a while guys. Sorry for not updating. Just that I've been swamped with assignments, take home exams, invigilated exams...final year of law school is difficult...and tiring and I have two research essays due in about two weeks, and another research essay, and a take home exam, and another essay, and another invigilated exam whilst balancing my work placement experience and curricular activities. FML. 

I know this chapter is all about VHope and lacking JiKook. But I hope you enjoy this chapter nonetheless...or cry along with it...or feel your heart end up in knots. 

What do you think of this chapter Did you feel sad or anything? Did you cry? What do you think of V's behaviour and reaction? What are your thoughts about J-Hope/Hoseok?

My next update wouldn't be so soon. It'll wait until the above round of assignments are over. So please do be patient. 

Meanwhile, please continue to leave your comments and subscribe to the story so that you will know when it gets updated.

Also please check out my Meanie (Seventeen Mingyu + Wonwoo) fanfiction - Finding Eden

If you have not read my completed stories, do check out Heaven's Boys and Kyumin: 60 days for an emotional read.