The Sun

That year, the Sun Shines

Jungkook was supposed to visit Jin for his medical appointment on Friday, but a last minute urgent operation which Jin had to carry out meant that Jungkook’s appointment had to be rescheduled on Saturday instead. Jin called Jungkook personally to apologise about the inconvenience and rescheduled his appointment past noon on Saturday to allow Jungkook to have a bit more sleep.

 

Jungkook felt moved by Jin’s kind and thoughtful gesture. He asked Jin if Jimin could tag along for Jungkook’s medical appointment. Jin sounded a little surprised at Jungkook’s request but gave permission to do so. And so Jimin’s and Jungkook’s next weekend outing started out at Jin’s clinic.

 

……

 

Jin had some private doctor-patient time with Jungkook first sans Jimin, asking him rhetorical questions about Jungkook’s health and whether he experienced any discomfort in the last few weeks.

 

“So how’s my condition Jin-hyung?” Jungkook asked.

 

“Everything is looking good. Just remember to take your medicine. But I would like to take a scan of your heart before our next appointment. I’ll get my receptionist to make the appointment for you. Just let her know your preferred day and timing,” Jin gave Jungkook a reassuring smile. “Don’t worry too much. You know the scan is just a normal procedure, right?”

 

Jungkook nodded but he still had some doubts within. Jin picked up Jungkook’s rather uncertain and shifty gaze.

 

“Jin hyung,” Jungkook whispered but it was enough to get Jin’s attention. He paused for a while unsure of whether to continue. Finally he decided to ask the question. His voice was shaking. “Will I die…?”

 

“That’s an eventuality we all face, Jungkookie. Our time here is finite,” Jin kept his smile. Jin understood Jungkook’s question but he did not want to sound too frank and harsh.

 

“That’s not what I meant…I mean…I mean…” Jungkook’s voice was still trembling. “Will I die anytime soon? Because I don’t want to die so soon…I want to live…I want…”

 

Jungkook broke into tears. Jin quickly reached for tissue paper and gently cleaned Jungkook’s tear-stained face as he pat Jungkook on his back.

 

“Shall I call for Jimin? Do you want him to comfort you?”

 

“I’m fine…” Jungkook replied as he was choking in between sobs. “I don’t want to bother Jimin hyung.” 

 

“To answer your question, you won’t die anytime soon,” Jin forced a smile. “And it’s good that you want to live. It increases your willpower to live and your chances of survival.”

 

“Really?” the boy squeaked.

 

“You mustn’t give up,” Jin encouraged. Jin does not know how to feel about this. On one hand, he does not want Jungkook to give up on living, but it means Jimin having to sacrifice his life. How could Jin prioritise one life over the other, but right now, he just wants to focus on getting Jungkook to feel positive.

 

Jin decided to try to probe Jungkook a little on what he thinks and how he feels about Jimin.

 

“Jungkookie, I’m a little surprised that you want Jimin to accompany you here today. Are you two friends or anything?”

 

Jungkook nodded.

 

“How did you get to know one another?”

 

“We met at the park near the hospital. I was feeling some discomfort that day and he sent me home. He left his headphones at my home and he appeared unexpected at my school for a few days because of the headphones.”

 

Jin nodded in acknowledgement. “What do you think of Jimin?”

 

Jungkook paused and hummed. “He’s a really caring, patient and cute hyung. I like to about his height and drop honorifics with him and although he grumbles about it, he doesn’t really mind. He even ordered takeaway for me when he realised I didn’t have enough food at home. And he has a really nice smile that warms anyone. And he dances really well.”

 

Jin noticed that Jungkook’s gaze was lively and glistening as he talked about Jimin. “Jin-hyung, how was Jimin-hyung like when he was growing up in the orphanage? He told me that both of you are close.”

 

There was a proud look in Jin’s gaze and a smile curved on his lips.

 

“He was this loving, affectionate, adorable fluff ball…and still is…he likes hugging. He’s very polite, obedient, and responsible, and doesn’t give problems. He’s very good with the younger kids and takes really good care of them. They like to go to him for cuddles or for playtime. He’s like the biggest kid amongst them. And he’s really good-natured and doesn’t have a temper. Have you met Tae? When he’s with Tae they are just so lively and noisy that the atmosphere becomes really alive. And yes, Jimin is really good at dancing,” Jin gushed.

 

“Wow…doesn’t he have any bad points? You make him sound perfect.”

 

“His grades are just average,” Jin laughed.

 

“But he’s really good with kids,” Jungkook said. “We visited the orphanage with Hoseok-hyung and V-hyung. The kids seem to like him a lot.”

 

“That’s Jimin for you. So what about you Jungkookie? Do you like Jimin?” Jin thought this was the appropriate time to broach the subject about how Jungkook feels about Jimin.

 

Jungkook opened his mouth to respond but no words came out. His mind was trying to process Jin’s question.

 

He thought of Jimin’s bright smile. He thought of how Jimin tolerated his rudeness. He thought of how comfortable and comforting Jimin’s shoulder is. He thought of how Jimin ordered takeaway for him. He thought of how Jimin would always send him home and pulled him away when he was in danger…how Jimin held his hands in the cinema and on the bus…

 

Jimin was starting to grow on him. Although they have not known each other for a while, Jungkook was growing fond of Jimin. He felt comfortable and happy in Jimin’s company and he wished to know more about Jimin. 

 

And Jungkook nodded in response to Jin’s question. “Jimin hyung is a nice guy.”

 

“Jin-hyung, I still want to know more about Jimin-hyung. What you told me isn’t enough.Can you tell me more, please?”

 

Jin smiled. “Sure, when we have our next appointment.”

 

Jin noticed Jungkook break out into a small smile. “Do you think you will fall in love with Jimin?”

 

Jungkook was stumped by Jin’s question. What is this thing call love? How does a person be able to tell he is in love?

 

“I don’t know. I’ve never been in love before. I don’t know what the feeling is like,” Jungkook replied.

 

“I suppose you’ll know when the time comes,” Jin said.

 

“But I like Jimin-hyung though. I enjoy his company. Jin-hyung, can you keep this a secret from Jimin-hyung?” Jungkook pleaded earnestly.

 

“Alright, I won’t mention a word. Jimin is a good kid. You’re safe with him. And he will bring you happiness or at least put a smile on your face when you’re feeling down. Do you want Jimin to come in now? Is there something you want to discuss with Jimin around?”

 

Jungkook nodded and Jin buzzed his receptionist to send Jimin in.

 

……

 

“So what do you guys want to speak to me about? Do you guys want approval for something? Like you two want to date each other or something…” Jin teased. “Because you two have my tick of approval.”

 

Jimin who had just taken a gulp of water started choking and spluttering while Jungkook sunk into his seat and stared at Jin with a dumbfounded expression, his mouth opening and closing like a goldfish except no words came out.

 

“Not funny Jin-hyung, not funny at all,” Jimin whined when Jimin finally gained control of himself.

 

“But you two look pretty cute together,” Jin continued with his teasing as a deep blush developed on Jungkook’s cheek which did not go unnoticed by an amused Jin.

 

“Jin-hyung!” Jimin protested.

 

Jin chuckled. “Okay, I’m going to get serious. Do you guys want my opinion or permission for something? I take it has something to do with my medical expertise.”

 

Jimin nodded.

 

“Alright, I’m listening. Shoot!” Jin said.

 

Jimin eyed Jungkook and decided to speak instead. “Well hyung, Jungkookie wants to learn to dance…”

 

“And you offered to teach him…” Jin continued Jimin’s sentence. It was more of a statement than a question. Jin massaged his temples as he tried to find the words to explain himself.

 

“Jin-hyung…” Jungkook spoke up. “I really want to learn. This is one thing I want to do most. At least when I die, I won’t have any regrets knowing that I have tried. Please Jin-hyung, please. I don’t have to do stuff that would over-exert myself. Jimin-hyung here taught the kids a simple dance at the orphanage…some robotic thing…V-hyung was there too. It didn’t seem too complicated. I didn’t feel out of breath or tired or something…”

 

“Jungkookie…you could always do that directing traffic dance which I copyrighted,” Jin offered.

 

“That’s awful,” Jungkook scrunched his face in mock disgust.

 

“Ouch! I’m genuinely hurt Jungkookie,” Jin faked a pained expression. But Jin’s joking tone turned serious the next moment. “Jungkookie, I’ve seen Jimin practise dancing. Dancing is one strenuous activity. It’s not as easy as it seems. It seems easy for Jimin, but he puts in a lot of effort and practice. And it’s not just flailing your arms, shaking your body or moving your legs. There is a lot of force and energy. I’m not sure if your heart could take the strain…I’m just erring on the side of caution here Jungkookie.”

 

There was a look of disappointment on Jungkook’s face.

 

“Jin-hyung, I could teach him some easy moves that won’t require much physical exertion…” Jimin suggested.

 

“Jiminie…”

 

“Hyung…can you trust and believe in me? I’ll think of something. I’ll find something not too strenuous for him. Jungkookie could do with a bit of exercise too, right? Jimin pleaded.

 

“Jiminie, I trust you…”

 

“That is great hyung…”

 

“But…” Jin hesitated.

 

“I don’t mind…” Jungkook interrupted.

 

“The patient agrees,” Jimin pointed out.

 

Jin sighed. “It’s not just about Jungkookie. He’s not of legal age yet. Even if he okays it and I okay it, what about his parents? They’re still his legal guardians after all.”

 

“I’ll ask them. I’m sure they will agree since they don’t really care whether I live or…die…”

 

“Jungkookie,” Jin said sternly. “Do not say such a thing. If your parents don’t care for you, they wouldn’t spend this much money on sending you to me for treatment…they wouldn’t go to the trouble and expense of…”

 

Jin sighed.

 

“Please Jin-hyung,” Jungkook pleaded.

 

“Jin-hyung…” Jimin echoed. “You can trust me. I don’t want anything to happen to Jungkookie.”

 

Jin sighed again and massaged his temples as he paused to think what he should do next. He grumbled, “Both of you are ganging up against me.”

 

“Fine, we could give this a shot. But Jungkookie, you need to ask for your parents’ permission. Jiminie, I want you to show me the dances you have in mind. You can demonstrate it to me…no…that won’t be accurate enough…get Taetae to demonstrate it to me so I can gauge…though it’s not entirely accurate though. But I want to be there when you teach Jungkookie so I could monitor his condition and intervene when necessary. And I need to teach you what to do in case of an emergency…is that a deal?”

 

“Deal!” Jimin exclaimed.

 

“Deal!” Jungkook jumped up from his seat in excitement. “Thank you so much Jin-hyung.”

 

“I still think this is a bad idea, but we’ll see,” Jin sighed. “Is this all you wanted to speak to me about?”

 

Jungkook and Jimin nodded. “Do you two have plans after this?”

 

Jimin turned and glanced at Jungkook before returning his gaze towards Jin. “We’re going to have lunch, hang out a bit ...have dinner and go home.”

 

Jin nodded.

 

“Jungkookie, could you excuse Jimin and me for a while? I need to speak to Jimin,” Jin asked.

 

“Sure, Jin-hyung,” Jungkookie rose from his seat and bowed. Jin hugged Jungkook and Jungkook took his leave after thanking Jin.  

 

……

 

“How’s everything Jiminie?”

 

“Everything is good,” Jimin replied with his bright smile on his face.

 

“How are things with Jungkookie going?”

 

“I think he sees me as a friend,” Jimin replied.

 

“Do you like Jungkookie?”

 

“I do,” Jimin replied without hesitation. “Hyung, please don’t remind me about the mission. I know what I’m supposed to do. I’m not supposed to fall to deep…but I don’t know…maybe I am…I feel bad…I’m taking advantage of his loneliness…I’m pretending to be nice to a boy in order to survive…”

 

Jin patted Jimin on his back. “I know how you feel Jiminie. I’m not going to remind you about that.”

 

“Thanks hyung.”

 

“Do you think Jungkookie likes you?”

 

“I think he does…at least we’ve been out on dates…but that doesn’t mean anything…probably just friends…or something…at least I know it’s not love…not yet…”

 

“What about you? Do you love him?”

 

“I can’t love him,” Jimin shook his head.

 

“Okay, let’s not talk about the mission. This will get too depressing. But you have to promise me you will have to ensure his safety when you’re teaching him dance.”

 

“I promise. I don’t want anything to happen to Jungkookie either. I just want to do something for him.”

 

“And Jiminie, I have good news for you.”

 

Jimin brightened up at Jin’s words and looked at Jin expectantly.

 

“Well, I’ve managed to get the identification for you and Taehyung which means both of you guys can work or enrol in college if you want to.”

 

“Is this true Jin-hyung?” Jimin was excited at the news. He nearly jumped from his seat.
 

Jin nodded. “But if you guys want to enrol in college, it would be a few selected colleges where we have some connections.”

 

“Oh my God!” Jimin exclaimed. “It means that I could probably work as a dance teacher or something.”

 

“That’s good news for me too. Maybe if you guys get work, it means I can stop supporting both of you. I don’t have to work too hard and have clinic on Saturdays. And I can start charging you guys rent,” Jin joked.

 

“What?” Jimin’s pupils widened at Jin’s words. “You can’t be serious Jin-hyung. You love me, right? Well, and you love Taetae too. You won’t be so cruel to charge two poor boys rent and expect them to feed themselves.”

 

Jin paused for a moment. “I would reconsider the rent, but you guys might have to learn to feed yourselves.”

 

Jimin pouted and Jin burst out laughing. “Don’t worry I won’t abandon you and Tae. I love you guys. I saw you guys grow up. Anyway it should be ready within the next few days. Let’s have dinner next week and I could pass you the IDs. Would you be able to pass the message on to Tae?”

 

“Of course.”

 

“How is Tae?”

 

“He’s fine. Lazing around. He’s been going out with Hoseok-hyung,” Jimin said.

 

“That’s good to know. Alright, wouldn’t delay your date with Jungkookie any further.”

 

Jin and Jimin bade farewell to one another with Jin reminding Jimin about their dinner appointment.

 

…..

 

Jimin and Jungkook headed off to lunch. Jungkook was curious to what Jimin and Jin were talking about and he asked Jimin about it. Jimin merely told Jungkook they were just catching up with one another. Jungkook noticed Jimin looked particularly excited and happy today.

 

Something good must have happened, Jungkook thought. He asked Jimin about it, and Jimin told Jungkook that he would be enrolling in college soon and he would look for some part time work as a dance teacher. Jimin was really excited about being able to go to college and work as a dance teacher. Jungkook thought Jimin is really cute from being so bubbly and excited and he feels like pinching Jimin’s cheeks.

 

……

 

It was almost three when they finished lunch. Jimin and Jungkook decided to go to a carnival which Jimin found out was going on.

 

They took a leisurely stroll round the grounds when they chanced upon an interesting stall that was under a tent. There was a short queue formed outside the tent and their curiosity was piqued.

 

It turned out to be a fortune telling stall as they heard people who have had their fortune told talking about how accurate the fortune teller was in pointing out key events of their past. Jungkook was rather sceptical and wanted to leave but Jimin thought it would be fun to have their fortunes told.

 

The fortune teller was probably in her fifties and had a kind, motherly appearance. She was dressed rather simply and not as flashy and bohemian as the two teenagers imagined a fortune teller to be.

 

Jungkook was up first. She asked for Jungkook’s date and time of birth. She wrote the details on a piece of paper, and studied his palm and face.

 

“My boy, you are an introvert. You are not good at expressing your feelings. You feel lonely. You feel like your parents do not care about you.”

 

These words immediately caught Jungkook’s attention. Whatever doubts and suspicions Jungkook had, were dispelled.

 

“You have an incurable disease which you are in danger of dying from at any time,” she continued gently.

 

“You feel lost. You lost hope in life. You feel your life is in darkness.”

 

The lady paused for a moment. “But your sun has appeared. This sun will shine brightly in your life. It will illuminate your life. Just as how the plants need the sunshine to survive, your life depends on this sun. It will burn brightly and exhaust itself for you to live and shine brightly.”

 

Her message was cryptic, and Jungkook did not quite understand what the lady meant. But Jimin who was next to Jungkook picked up the meaning of her words.

 

“As much as the sun brings you warmth and happiness, it brings you sadness and grief. As much as the sun breathes life into you, the rays of the sun may scorch you. You might be hurt in the process and might lose your life in the process. You may have a choice – you can choose to accept the life the sun offers or the destruction it brings. Yet, the ultimate power lies with the sun.”

 

“That’s all,” she said.

 

“I don’t understand…” Jungkook said. “What you said is rather interesting but I don’t understand any of it.”

 

“Not yet…you will understand when the time comes…you will recognise the sun…the sun who is close to you…”

 

“I have one more question seon-saeng-nim.”

 

“Go ahead.”

 

“Will I die soon?”

 

“I can’t tell you that. No one has the power to tell the time of death of someone. I’m sorry,” she patted Jungkook’s hand.

 

“I understand,” Jungkook said.

 

“Just remember the words I just said. Maybe you can get your answer from there, my son.”

 

Jungkook nodded.

 

It was Jimin’s turn to have his fortune read. Jimin provided his date of birth but withheld his time of birth saying that he had forgotten it. Nevertheless, she proceeded to study Jimin’s face and palm. But she froze up. There was a look of distraught and fear in her face as she muttered, “I’ve been doing nearly 30 years. This isn’t possible. It can’t be happening. Why can’t I see anything?”

 

“Is there anything wrong seon-saeng-nim?” Jimin asked in a timid voice.

 

“You’re a monster! You’re not human! You’re not of this world!” she burst out trembling.

 

Jungkook was taken aback by the lady’s words. He started to feel rage bottle up inside him. How could she say this about Jimin? How could she call Jimin a monster? Jimin is one of the sweetest persons he has ever met.

 

Jungkook stood up and banged on her table. “You’re just a quack and phoney. What you said is crap. All the stuff you said about the sun is probably just some random made-up mumbo jumbo crap. How could you not be able to tell his fortune? Have you run out of crap to make up on the spot?”

 

“You must believe me, my son!” she pleaded. “He’s not human.”

 

“And you should be locked up at some asylum,” Jungkook spat back at her. “You should apologise to him for calling him a monster.”

 

“Come on Jungkookie, let’s go,” Jimin said. He rose up, fished out some bills from his wallet and threw them on the table and grabbed Jungkook away after apologising to the fortune teller.

 

“I can’t believe she said that about you!” Jungkook huffed.

 

“Don’t be angry Jungkookie. Anger is bad for your health,” Jimin was trying to soothe the  younger boy.

 

“I’m angry with myself for almost believing her words and crap about the sun. Why am I so stupid?” he complained.

 

Jimin pat Jungkook on his back. “Come on, don’t let what happened there upset you. We’re here to have fun. Let’s go have fun.”

 

Jimin grabbed Jungkook by his hand in search of fun rides.

 

The rides definitely brightened Jungkook’s mood a little and he forgot about the earlier drama. He was more than amused though with Jimin being so timid with things such as the haunted house. Jimin clutched Jungkook’s hand tightly and would scream when some random person appeared in a scary mask in an attempt to scare them. Jimin was a whimpering mess when he left the house. Jungkook wanted to tease Jimin for being so timid but decided not to. He thought this side of Jimin is rather adorable. He would tease his hyung another time.

 

Jimin didn’t enjoy some of the rides as they were too thrilling for his liking and made him feel uncomfortable especially the pirate ship. He thought the bumper cars was fun without scaring him out of his wits. And just like that, the two boys spent the entire late afternoon and early evening at the fair. It was dark when they left the fair. Their stomachs were growling from hunger. They had dinner. This time, Jungkook decided to take the bus back home and joining him on the bus ride was Jimin.

 

……

 

Jungkook was lying in his bed thinking back of what happened that day. As much as he hated it, the fortune teller’s words about the sun kept turning up in his thoughts. What did she mean? She said the sun has already appeared? Does the sun refer to a person?

 

And then Jungkook recalled Jin’s questions. Does Jungkook like Jimin? Will Jungkook fall in love with Jimin?

 

What is love? Who can he speak to about this feeling called love?

 

And he remembered Jin’s words, “I suppose you’ll know when the time comes.”

 

Jungkook has been thinking a lot of Jimin lately. He feels happy whenever he meets Jimin. He is okay with Jimin holding his hand, hugging him, or kissing him on his forehead. He would like to feel the brushing of Jimin’s lips against his even if it is for a fleeting moment.

 

He remembered feeling angry when the fortune teller called Jimin a monster.

 

He thought Jimin’s behaviour of clinging onto him during the haunted house exhibit to be adorable.

 

He was happy seeing Jimin so excited about going to college and getting a part time job.

 

He wishes he could see Jimin’s smile each day.

 

He reached for his handphone to text Jimin goodnight before turning off his phone.

 

Maybe, just maybe, Jungkook has fallen in love with Park Jimin. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello dear readers, 

Here's another long update - 3.9K words. The next update will take a while as I have to battle with assignment deadlines, intensive classes over the week and stuff. So the next chapter might be updated in 3 to 4 weeks. I know it's long, but please bear with me. Meanwhile just enjoy this 3.9K words of JiKook fluff. 

Did you guys like this chapter? Which part did you enjoy most? I guess this chapter pretty explains the title of the story and fanfic. Were you able to catch the fact that Jimin's is Jungkook's sun. Based on the fortune teller's prophecy, what do you think will happen? I think it is safe to say that Jungkook has fallen in love with Jimin. What about Jimin? What do you think Jimin feels?

Please subscribe to this story if you have not done so. And please, do leave me your comments. I really appreciate all those who have left comments. Your comments are my motivation to carry on. 

Also please check out my Meanie (Seventeen Mingyu + Wonwoo) fanfiction - Finding Eden

If you have not read my completed stories, do check out Heaven's Boys and Kyumin: 60 days for an emotional read.

Till the next update...see you.