Falling

That year, the Sun Shines

Hoseok was sitting at one corner of a café and staring at the sidewalk. He spotted a familiar face and waved at the person to catch his attention.

 

“Hi,” Hoseok greeted.

 

“So what’s up Hobi hyung?” Taehyung asked. “Why did you ask me out today?”

 

“Do you want a drink or something to eat?” Hoseok stuttered. “Let me go get you something to drink and eat?”

 

“Why don’t we have a chat first?” Taehyung suggested. His voice was deep and calm.

 

Hoseok rose from his seat stuttering, “The weather is hot. How about an Iced Latte to cool down and a Chocolate Fudge Cake for a snack?

 

Hoseok scurried off before Taehyung could stop him. Hoseok soon returned with one of those buzzers which will alert the customers when their order is ready.

 

“Let’s talk. You asked me out to talk, right?” Taehyung went straight to the point. “What do you want to talk about?”

 

“I’m just bored. I just wanted to have coffee and spend some time with you,” Hoseok stuttered.

 

Taehyung rolled his eyes. “You have so many friends hyung. You could approach anyone of them and they would oblige you.”

 

Taehyung paused for a moment and he continued curtly, “If we’re just going to sit down here, stare at each other and have coffee, without saying anything, then excuse me, I think I am going to go. I have other things I need to attend to.”

 

Taehyung stood up but Hoseok stood up and tugged at Taehyung’s hand, “V, please…”

 

“What?” Taehyung snapped. “If you have something to say, say it! It is about that evening…?”

 

Hoseok hesitated. Just then the buzzer sounded and Hoseok was relieved that it came at the right moment. “Um, I need to get the orders. I’ll be back.”

 

Taehyung sat down with an exasperated sigh as Hoseok scurried off again before returning with a tray of drinks and cakes. He set the tray down and placed Taehyung’s drink and cake in front of him and his own cake and drink on the side of his table before rushing off to return the tray. He returned back and quickly took his seat. His eyes remained transfixed on his drink rather than on Taehyung.

 

“Let’s talk. It’s about that evening…the kiss, right?” Taehyung queried. 

 

“V, why aren’t you eating?” Hoseok tried to delay talking about what happened that evening.

 

“Jung Hoseok!” Taehyung snapped. “Fine, if you’re not going to talk, I’m going to talk!”

 

Hoseok squirmed.

 

“That kiss – well, I thought nothing about it. Yes, I was shocked when you kissed me. You were intoxicated…high…whatever…I kissed Jiminie before…such a kiss doesn’t mean anything…it’s between friends…I won’t read too much into it.” Taehyung said coolly and nonchalantly with a shrug. “I’m not gay or whatever. I didn’t return the kiss back. So you should let it go. I’m going to forget that it ever happened.”

 

Hoseok didn’t know how to react to Taehyung’s words.

 

Was he relieved? Was he slightly disappointed?

 

Relieved that Taehyung wasn’t too affected by the kiss; disappointed that Taehyung didn’t feel anything about the kiss.

 

“So we’re all good?” Hoseok asked cautiously. “You don’t feel awkward?”

 

Taehyung cut a portion of the cake and ate it before responding with a shrug, “Yeah. If not, I wouldn’t be here today, would I?”

 

Hoseok could only nod in agreement.

 

“Well, since you asked me out today, I’m sure it isn’t just for coffee and cake right? Let’s do something fun after this…maybe arcade…movies…anything…” Taehyung said. “Deal?”

 

“Deal,” Hoseok smiled.

 

……

 

Hoseok was unable to sleep. How could Taehyung be so casual about the kiss? Perhaps Taehyung is right – I was probably making a fool of myself that night with my seemingly high and intoxicated state that I can’t be taken too seriously.

 

But why did he want to kiss Taehyung? Hoseok never behaved like this to any of his other friends – even the close friends – when he is high or intoxicated – kissing them. He will hug them – but not kiss them.

 

Maybe he was really drunk that night? Maybe it was just an act of silliness and impulsiveness. Maybe he really wanted it – to kiss Taehyung.

 

And secretly, perhaps he wanted a bit more from Taehyung – to kiss Taehyung passionately – and possibly to love Taehyung and have Taehyung love him in return. Was it too greedy for him to want this?

 

Hoseok recollected the day where he lost his vision on the road and how Taehyung came to his aid, supported him all the way to the café and tended to his injuries warmed him heart. Taehyung has a sensible, gentle and caring side to him which he witnessed, or rather experienced that day – which is very different to his zany, quirky self. As much as Hoseok enjoys the fun-loving Taehyung with his random comments and antics, he appreciates the serious and caring Taehyung. He likes both sides of Taehyung. He feels comfortable with Taehyung to the extent of showing his weaker side to the younger.

 

Taehyung broke down the happy persona Hoseok had created for himself. Hoseok’s happy self is just an act, a mask he wears to fool himself and others, but why does Taehyung make Hoseok slip his mask off unconsciously? Perhaps it is his piercing gaze? Perhaps it is Taehyung’s goofiness and oddball behaviour which makes Hoseok unguarded; perhaps it is Taehyung’s warmth and concern which causes Hoseok to let his guard down.

 

Hoseok doesn’t know. And there is no point trying to analyse one’s heart. He has probably fallen for Kim Taehyung.

 

……

 

It was one of the Saturdays when Jimin decided to cancel class in order to surprise Jungkook. He knew that Jungkook was a fan of a Big Bang and so Jimin purchased tickets to Big Bang’s concert without telling Jungkook.

 

Jungkook was a little disappointed that the dance class had been cancelled. It was one of those days which Jungkook felt really lazy – he just wanted to stay at home, and do nothing mostly (except for his homework and play some video games), but Jimin convinced him to come out to have fun nevertheless. Furthermore, Jungkook had not seen Jimin for a week and he was missing the older boy a little, so they arranged to meet up in the later afternoon.

 

There was a frown on Jungkook’s face when he arrived at their appointed meeting place. “Is your idea of a fun afternoon the equivalent of eating frozen yoghurt?”  

 

Jimin’s smiled brightly and swung his arm over Jungkook’s shoulder. “Frozen yoghurt is part of it. Let’s eat first before you get too hungry later.”

 

“But why would I get hungry later? And even I’m hungry I would be able to get something to eat easily, right?” Jungkook was puzzled by Jimin’s words.

 

“Well, let’s just get some frozen yoghurt first. Apparent this brand is really popular and is highly recommended online,” Jimin said before dragging a grumbling Jungkook off to queue for the frozen treat.

 

Jungkook’s grumpiness was somewhat assuaged when he took a first taste of the yoghurt combined with the honeycomb.

 

The sweetness of the honey was a perfect complement to the tartness of the yoghurt. His face lit up in bliss as he hungrily dug into his dessert as Jimin watched on in amusement. Jungkook had to admit that the fifteen minute wait was really worth it. It was such a cooling treat on such a warm and sunny day.

 

Jimin checked his watch as he held the younger’s hand. “It’s time to get going Jungkookie.”

 

“Where are we going?”

 

“To catch a concert,” Jimin replied.

 

“Whose?” the younger boy asked.

 

“One of your favourite artistes.”

 

“It’s definitely not Big Bang, right?

 

Jimin had a smug look on his face.

 

“It couldn’t be…?”

 

“It is…”

 

“OMG…Jimin hyung…did you buy the tickets? I know I mentioned I wanted to watch the concert as a passing comment. And you actually bought the tickets? It must have cost you a good sum of money considering you had to buy two tickets. And you are not even working. I need to pay you back for this,” Jungkook rambled.

 

Out of the blue, Jungkook pulled Jimin into a tight embrace and nearly squishing the older boy whose eyes widened in shock at Jungkook’s sudden show of emotion and skinship.

 

“Thank you so much Jiminie hyung. Thank you so much. I love you so much,” Jungkook gushed.

 

Jimin was startled by Jungkook’s sudden declaration of love which he quickly tried to brush aside as that of a hyung-dongsaeng kind of love.

 

“He hasn’t fallen for me in that way, right?” Jimin was worried. “I don’t want him to love me, right? But why do I want him to love me? Why do I want him to mean the words ‘I love you so much’?”

 

Jimin quickly brushed those thoughts off his mind as he hurried Jungkook to get to their destination.

 

……

 

Although Jimin isn’t a big of a fan of Big Bang as Jungkook is, Jimin had an enjoyable time at the concert. Big Bang is really talented. They worked the stage to show off their charisma and performance. Jimin was enthralled and captivated by the performance. He could totally understand why Jungkook is a fan of Big Bang But Jimin was also happy Jungkook was enjoying himself throughout the performance and he was able to make the younger happy. He could see the teenager’s eyes sparkle with admiration and wonder as he was fully engrossed in the concert. And although Jimin wasn’t able to get the best seats in the house, Jungkook was still thanking Jimin profusely up to the moment the concert started and ended.

 

……

 

The subway was packed with concert-goers. Jimin’s and Jungkook’s were squished against one another amongst the other bodies of the train’s passengers that were surrounding them.

 

Jimin was really concerned. Jungkook looked pretty stifled and uncomfortable. “Are you okay? Jungkookie, shall we get off at the next stop and wait for a while…at least when the trains aren’t too crowded.”

 

“What is there to do at the next stop? Are there any places for us to walk around? Let’s just take the train to our planned stop.”

 

“But you look so uncomfortable. Will you be alright? You won’t get sick or anything?” Jimin asked worriedly.

 

“I’m just not used to the crowds,” Jungkook reassured Jimin.

 

“I’m sorry Jungkookie. We should have taken a cab or something…”

 

“You don’t need to be sorry about that. We wouldn’t have gotten a cab…”

 

Before Jungkook could finish his sentence, the train jerked causing Jungkook to lose his balance. Jimin instinctively used his hands to grab Jungkook by the younger’s waist to prevent him from falling. But given the crowd, there was no way Jungkook could have fallen badly. Instead, Jungkook’s body jerked forwards and his lips crashed directly against Jimin’s. Jungkook’s eyes fluttered a little before he shut his eyes in embarrassment and in shock. Jimin’s orbs widened in surprise. Both the boys did not move away from one another and remained for a couple of seconds which felt like a few minutes to them. Jungkook could feel the softness of Jimin’s lips on his. He did not want to move. So that is what kissing Jimin on his lips feels like. The ice cream kiss didn’t count – it wasn’t even a kiss – just a quick brush. And Jungkook enjoyed having his lips on Jimin’s. He felt electricity jolt through his body. He felt happy. Will he ever get to kiss Jimin like this again? Jungkook thought to himself as he reluctantly withdrew his lips from Jimin’s and opened his eyes before quietly muttering an apology. He swore he could see a blush on Jimin’s cheeks.  

 

“I think we should alight at the next stop,” Jimin said. Without getting Jungkook’s approval, Jimin grabbed Jungkook’s hand and weaselled their way through the crowd when the train arrived at the next stop.

 

……

 

They found a bench and sat there quietly for a few minutes watching commuters pass them by, and the train stopping and going. Finally, Jungkook decided to clear the awkwardness between them and he spoke.

 

“I’m sorry,” Jungkook uttered. “It was an accident. The kiss…I mean…it happened all of a sudden…I didn’t know what to do. I needed time to process.”

 

“It’s alright,” Jimin squeaked, his voice appeared to be one octave higher.

 

“I would have been equally just at a lost if I were you. I probably wouldn’t be able to react straight away. It’s an accident…I think the next train wouldn’t be so crowded. Let’s just get on and head to our destination and have dinner. I’m hungry,” Jimin blubbered, clearly wanting to change the subject.

 

……

 

During dinner, Jungkook took the initiative to make conversation. He could sense Jimin was still feeling awkward about this kiss and he wanted to get Jimin to relax and revert to his bubbly, chatty self.

 

“Hyung, I had a really good time at the concert today.  Thank you for taking me there. If it wasn’t for you, I don’t think I would have the chance to attend the concert. I wouldn’t have gone along, so thanks for accompanying me.”

 

And Jimin finally smiled. “I’m glad you enjoyed yourself. I’m glad I attended the concert with you. Big Bang was just so amazing. They totally wowed me. I had a great time too. You have good taste in music Jungkookie.”

 

Jungkook felt really proud that Jimin complimented his taste in music. “You’ve done so much for me Jimin-hyung. I don’t know how I could ever thank you. I had given up on life completely before I met you. I was counting down to my death. But right now, I feel like I am living. I am able to do the things I like…be a bit more sociable…learn how to dance…attend concerts…even if I have to die, I don’t think I would have any regrets. But if there is a chance if I could live on, I want to live. You make me happy hyung. You make me feel alive, hyung. And I want to be with you for a very long time more.”

 

Jimin froze at Jungkook’s comment as many thoughts rushed through his mind.

 

“This isn’t the plan. No…no…no…Jungkook isn’t supposed to want to live. If he wants to live…he wouldn’t be willing to give up taking my heart…I have to die…no…no…no…this isn’t the plan…we can’t be together for a long time…it is either you or me Jungkookie. Did he just confess to me? No…no…no…he just says he wants to be with me…friends…right?”

 

“Hyung…hyung…”

 

“Ne?”

 

“I want us to have lots of fun together for a very long time…I want you to teach me all the dances you know if possible…” Jungkook said excitedly.

 

Jimin forced a smile. “Sure, of course Jungkookie. I want to be with you for a very long time…”

 

…..

 

Jimin found it hard to sleep that night. He could only stare blankly into darkness as he remembered the kiss he shared with Jungkook hours earlier.

 

He should be the one to let go of the kiss. He was the older one. He should be the more sensible one. So why did he let his lip linger on Jungkook’s?

 

But the younger boy’s lips are soft. And although the younger boy had shut his eyes, he seemed happy and contented. He felt a spine-tingling sensation. He felt something filling his entire being. Was there the feeling of love? Was that the feeling of completeness when you get kiss someone you love and someone who loves you?

 

Jimin is also feeling disturbed with that Jungkook said over dinner. The plan has gone awry.

 

He didn’t count on Jungkook wanting to live…but there’s still a chance that if Jungkook loves Jimin, Jungkook will be willing to sacrifice his life for Jimin.

 

But if there is one thing which Jimin couldn’t count on…and at this point he finally come to a realisation – he has fallen in love with Jeon Jungkook.

-----------------------------------------------------

Hello dear readers, it's been a while.

No. I've not forgotten about this story. It's just that I've gotten a little unmotivated. I have been busy with my studies. And some stuff happened along the way that left me a little disillusioned. Meanwhile, I'm on my final leg of my studies. I'm getting there. 

Meanwhile I hope you will enjoy this update. Please comment and subscribe to this story.

I really need to set a target date where I want to complete this story. Hopefully by December 2017. Haha.