Jin and Taehyung

That year, the Sun Shines

Jimin and Taehyung stood awestruck at the bottom of Jin’s apartment block. It looks grand, luxurious and brand new.

 

“I never knew Dr Jin was that rich,” Jimin gaped.

 

“Well, I’m just going to go,” Taehyung said as he turned around and scurried off. Unfortunately for Taehyung, Jimin was alert. He sped after Taehyung and grabbed Taehyung by his arm into a lock and dragged the protesting boy back to the apartment block.

 

“Please Jiminie, please let me off. I’m not ready to face Jin hyung yet,” Taehyung pleaded and put on a pitiful look.

 

“You promised.”

 

“Well, I’m here. I kept my part of the deal, so let me go,” Taehyung argued.

 

“Staying for dinner is part of the promise,” Jimin reminded.

 

“How do you want me to face him?” Taehyung’s tone turned serious all of a sudden. “Not when the person I see as a man has turned out to be my hyung.”

 

“Taetae, we have had this conversation. But how long can you avoid Dr Jin?” Jimin gently asked.

 

“As long as I can,” Taehyung replied.

 

“What about Dr Jin? Have you spared a thought for his feelings? He cares a lot for you Taetae. How does he feel about you avoiding him?” Jimin paused for a moment. “Let’s talk things over. We need to sit down and have a good chat.”

 

………

 

Jin was grateful he was able to get off work on the dot at five. It was also fortunate that it wasn’t a tiring day for him. He had no operations that day. He hurried to the supermarket to purchase meat and japchae to cook because Jin knows Taehyung likes those dishes, and then hurried home. Dinner was at 730pm so he had less than two hours to finish the cooking. Fortunately Jin is as skilful a cook as he is as a doctor and surgeon. So in no time, he had managed to finish  the cooking and cleaning up with 15 minutes to spare. It will allow him to have a quick shower. Jin knew that Taehyung would probably try to make an excuse to weasel himself out of the dinner, but Jimin will be there to coax him in. It will take a bit of time, so Jin knew he probably had more time than the 15 minutes. After his bath, he changed into a set of comfortable lounge wear – a long sleeve t-shirt and sweatpants. He made himself a cup of chamomile tea and rested in his sofa 

 

………

 

Jin was 15 years old (14 years old international age) when he first visited the orphanage, or what he was told by his father who brought him there. Jin was a smart and intelligent kid with a pretty high IQ. He excelled in his studies, in particular mathematics and science. But Jin was a rather shy kid. So his dad thought it would be a good idea for Jin to volunteer his time at the orphanage, be a mentor to the kids, and tutor the kids. It will allow Jin to be a bit more sociable and open his heart and care for the less fortunate. Jin’s dad allowed him to wander about the premise and Jin found himself heading towards the play area.

 

There were a few children around the ages of six to nine maybe. Jin’s attention was caught by two boys who were kicking a ball in what appeared to be a mini-football game. He stood there observing the two boys. One of the boys accidentally kicked the ball and it hit Jin on his leg. But it didn’t cause him any pain. Jin focused on the two boys were glancing nervously at him. They were tugging at each other's t-shirt and seemed to be whispering to one another. Finally the boy with the bigger orbs dragged the other boy with the slightly puffy cheeks towards Jin.

 

Bowing their heads down, the boy with the bigger and brighter orbs uttered, “Hyung, we’re sorry to have hit you.”

 

The boy with the squishy cheeks also uttered, “Hyung, we’re sorry.”

 

Jin stooped down so that his eye level could match the children. He found it cute and endearing that the two boys were holding hands. Their bodies were trembling slightly.

 

“Apology accepted. I’m not hurt,” Jin said in a gentle tone. “Don’t be scared. You can look at me.”

 

The two boys obeyed. Jin picked up the ball and with a reassuring smile, handed it back to the boy with the sparkling orbs. “You can have the ball back.”

 

“Really? Thank you hyung,” he beamed.

 

His playmate also thanked Jin.

 

“I’m Kim Seokjin. You can call me Jin-hyung,” Jin introduced himself.

 

“I’m Taehyung, Jin-hyung” the bright-eye boy said. The said name caused Jin to freeze for a moment as he quickly brushed the thought aside – thinking that it was just a mere coincidence that the boy in front of him shared the same name as Jin’s deceased brother.

 

“Hi Taehyungie,” Jin cooed as he ruffled Taehyung’s hair causing the boy to giggle.

 

“I’m Jimin, Jin-hyung.” the other boy said.

 

“Hi Jiminie,” Jin said and he ruffled Jimin’s hair as well. The younger boy broke out into a smile and gave Jin a hug and a kiss of his cheek. This caused Jin to break out into a chuckle. “Wow, our Jiminie is very affectionate.”

 

“Jin-hyung, do you want to play with us?” little Taehyung squeaked out.

 

“Sure, I would love to,” Jin replied.

 

So Jin played football with the two boys for a while. And it was enjoyable. Of course, he didn’t use all his strength and he let the kids get possession of the ball most of time. They had a lot of fun together, but eventually the two kids were exhausted and stopped playing. It was going to be dinner time and they had to go wash up.

 

That was how the bond between Taehyung and Jin began. And since Jimin and Taehyung were inseparable, a bond between Jimin and Jin developed as well.

 

Jin became a regular volunteer at the ‘orphanage’. He would come on Fridays after his school was done. He would help the younger children with mathematics and science or anything related to their homework – and this included Jimin and Taehyung. When class was done, they will play some games – ranging from physical games to computer games or board games. Taehyung grew really attached to Jin. He wanted to eat with Jin. And in turn, Jimin would follow Taehyung. Every Friday Taehyung and Jimin would wait near the gate for Jin to show up and will hug Jin. Jimin, who is affectionate, likes to receive kisses from Jin on his cheek. If Jin arrives a little late, the boys will pout. There was once when Jin did not show up and the two boys were disappointed. When Jin spends the night over at the orphanage, Taehyung and Jimin would go to Jin’s room to sleep with Jin and ask for Jin to tell them a bed time story. Taehyung would cuddle Jin to sleep while Jimin would cuddle Taehyung in return. Since the administrator of the orphanage knew Jin and trusted Jin, no one made any comments about the arrangements either. Sometimes Jin would take the two boys out for outdoor activities – like to the movies, to a sporting grounds or the amusement park. Jin was responsible and careful enough for his age.

 

This continued on for two years. Jin was blossoming into a handsome young man, while the two boys were growing up. But the two boys adored their Jin-hyung very much. And Jin loved the two boys so much so he wanted to persuade his dad to adopt the two boys.

 

And it occurred to Jin, why weren’t any of the kids adopted? Something was going on. And sometimes he wished he never posed that question to his dad when he was 17 years old.

 

His father finally confessed that the kids were not orphans but human clones much to Jin’s shock and consternation. To say he was aghast and disgusted was not enough to describe his feelings. He was enraged.

 

This was part of a government funded research into bio-medical science and human cloning. Jin’s dad was one of the researchers selected to participate in the project and he was one of the doctors to play a leading role. They succeeded in creating a human clone out of DNA and tissue in the science labs. The next part of the research would be to harvest the clone’s organs for transplant to a human being. Jin believed what his father said, because he was a science student and his mind was open to the limitless of what science could achieve.

 

This revelation shook Jin to the core when he found out that they were not accorded legal status. He protested that the clones are still lives and that they are in every way human. But his dad defended that this research would be beneficial for humans – imagine the number of lives they could save or improve from harvesting the organs of the clones. This thought left Jin horrified that Taehyung and Jimin would have to donate their organs to others.

 

“This whole cloning thing is wrong. Harvesting their organs is unethical. Jiminie, Taehyungie, they are not clones. They are just as human as you as me. They have lives. They have feelings. They have thoughts,” Jin protested. “You’re playing God. You decide that they get to live and die.”

 

“It’s for science – for the advancement and betterment of humans,” Jin’s father rebutted him rather steely. 

 

“I can’t let you do this to Jiminie or Taehyungie or to the other kids…this whole orphanage is a sham! Why did you get involved in this orphanage?”

 

“Because Seokjin-ah, there’s something you need you to know about Taehyung.”

 

It was the bombshell that Jin’s father dropped next that was most devastating for Jin.

 

“Seokjin-ah, I need to tell you the truth about Taehyung.”

 

Jin froze when he heard those words. Jin was quite the intelligent person and he was able to put two and two together.

 

“Abeoji, are you telling me that Taehyung is a clone of my dead brother Taehyung?”

 

Jin’s father silence was probably the best form of affirmation. The older man could only nod his head.

 

“I’m sorry Seokjin-ah. I know how you feel about your dead brother. I know how attached you are to the cloned Taehyung. I should have told you much earlier.”

 

His tone was rather unfeeling though.

 

“No, abeoji. This is not about telling me earlier. Why? Abeoji? Why? Why did you even do that in the first place?” Seokjin who was normally meek and mild-tempered riled at his dad.

 

“Because I was afraid of losing either of you.”

 

“You mean…” Jin had a look of horror in his eyes. He could anticipate what he was about to hear and he would not like one word his dad would say.

 

“I took the cells, DNA and tissue from both you and Taehyung. After Taehyung died, I took his cells, DNA and tissue to clone him…”

 

“You took my cells, DNA and tissue?” Jin exclaimed.

 

Jin’s father nodded weakly.

 

“Abeoji!”

 

Jin was disgusted and he just wanted to not share the same space with his dad. He was about to leave his dad’s office when his dad called out to him.

 

“Seokjin-ah, you can be angry with me all you want. You can be disgusted with me. But you have watch over Taehyung and protect him. He’s your brother,” his dad pleaded.

 

“He’s not my brother! He’s just a clone of my dead brother – made from the same cells and tissue. He could never be my brother. They would never be the same – character or thoughts wise!” Seokjin exclaimed.

 

“I don't want to be part of this orphanage. I could have stopped after my research and part was complete. But when Taehyung died, I really wanted him to return to me. So I cloned him,' the older man seemed to betray a hint of sadness in his eyes and tone

 

"Whatever you do Seokjin-ah, ensure that Taehyung remains unscathed. Don’t let him lose any of his organs or life. That's why I'm involved in this place. I would do my best. I will try to match him up with a donee that would least affect him. If you can Seokjin-ah, don’t let the organ donation go ahead. If you can, convince the donee to not let the procedure go ahead. Get the donee to make a declaration in writing that he doesn’t want Taehyung’s organs,” Jin’s father implored.

 

And then his father brought up a line which Jin dreaded the most, “You owe it to Taehyung.” 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How are you my dear readers and subscribers? I'm so sorry for not updating for the last three weeks. I had two 2250 word law essays due on the same day and I am still working on the next essay which is due on Thursday. Thanks for being so patient. 

I know someone who left a comment is a Taejin shipper. So I kind of included this slight Taejin thing in this chapter and in the next chapter to come. It''s really just touch and go. 

And I know Jin and Namjoon sound unethical and crazy to help their parents. But I hope this chaper and the next will shed some light on Jin's reasons. 

Please comment and subscribe to the story if you have yet to do so. 

 

My other fan fics

Heaven's Boys 

KyuMin: Almost a love story

KyuMin: 60 Days 

It's You (너라고) Neorago (a YeWook fan-fic)