Orphanage Visit

That year, the Sun Shines

The sounding of the alarm jolted Jungkook out of his reverie. As he rubbed his eyes, he realised it is Saturday. He will be visiting the orphanage after a long while. He will be able to meet Jimin. And it was in the same instant Jungkook realised that Taehyung will be tagging along and he sighed. Will Taehyung occupy most of Jimin’s time that will leave Jimin no chance to interact with Jungkook? Jungkook was still curious about Jimin’s and Taehyung’s relationship. They seem pretty touchy feely with one another, but he could not sense any romantic sparks between them. Perhaps he should just ask Jimin about it. But how can he do so without making his curiosity seem too obvious.   

 

He decided to have a shower before heading downstairs for a leisurely breakfast as he was early. He headed back to his room and began packing. He brought his art supplies and sketchbook along. Like before, Jungkook would teach the kids how to draw and sketch. When he was done, he could sing with them. He wondered what Jimin would do that day. Taehyung did casually mention Jimin being good with kids. Jungkook could imagine a scene starring Jimin running around with the kids and playing with them with a bright smile on his face. But didn’t Jimin grow up in an orphanage? Would volunteering in an orphanage remind him of his own experience growing up in an orphanage? Will it affect him? But Jimin isn’t such a person. He seems like a optimistic and carefree person with a big heart.. If there is anyone that could connect and bring happiness to the kids, it would be him. Jungkook paused to take a look at Jimin’s headphones which were still on his desk. He would return the headphones another time.

 

………

 

“Taetae, can you hurry up?” Jimin shouted at Taehyung who was in his room and taking his own sweet time to get ready. “We might be late.”

 

“I’m almost done,” Taehyung shouted in reply before emerging from his room a few moments later.

 

“Has Hoseok-hyung text you the address?” Jimin asked. 

 

“He did,” Taehyung replied.

 

“Give me your phone. I need to plan the route,” Jimin quickly grabbed Taehyung’s handphone from him and beginning to scroll through the messages.

 

“Hey!” Taehyung protested.

 

“I see you two have been communicating with one another,” Jimin remarked.

 

“We didn’t converse much. We were talking about the orphanage visit,” Taehyung quickly explained.

 

“Ah. Found it,” Jimin said. “Now I could plan the journey.”

 

Jimin fiddled around with his handphone while muttering if he should go pick Jungkook up.

 

“You don’t have to worry too much about that kid. I mean you’re supposed to get him to fall for you by being caring and all, but you don’t need to take your part too seriously,” Taehyung reminded. “He’ll probably take a cab or something down. That’s his usual mode of transport. I wonder if he ever takes the bus or train or anything.”

 

Jimin brushed Taehyung’s comments about Jungkook aside and asked, “So you have an idea what you want to do with the kids later?”

 

“Sports and games!” Taehyung exclaimed. “As long I can get Jung Hoseok to notice me.”

 

“Taetae, we are there for the kids, not to carry out our plan,” Jimin rebuked. “Given our backgrounds…shouldn’t you spare more thought about the kids?”

 

“I know that, Jiminie. But it doesn’t hurt to turn up our charms a bit, right?” Taehyung rebutted.

 

Jimin sighed. He is beginning to dislike this whole planning and plotting. It is no doubt that Jimin wants to live, but for the next few hours, he just wants to bring cheer to those who are less fortunate than him.

 

……

 

Hoseok was already at the orphanage before Jimin and Taehyung arrived.

 

“Is it just you only Hoseok hyung? Where’s Jungkookie?” Jimin asked.

 

Hoseok grinned and teased Jimin by motor-firing a list of questions. “Do you miss Kookie that much? Are you anxious to see him? Are you here for the kids or for Kookie?”

 

“Hoseok-hyung, I’m here for the kids! But you know given Jungkookie’s condition, I can’t help but feel a little worried for him.”

 

Hoseok chuckled. “Jimin-ssi, don’t worry about Kookie. Have you checked your watch? We just happen to be early.”

 

“Oh.”

 

Hoseok patted Jimin on his back. “But you know, I’m glad you’re concerned over Kookie.”

 

Just then Hoseok spotted Jungkook and pointed at the approaching figure. “Speak of the devil.”

 

……

 

The children were excited and overjoyed to see Hoseok. They ran towards him with shouts of Hobi-hyung or Hobi-oppa. He squat down to let the kids hug him. When the kids were satisfied, he finally spoke and pointed at Jungkook’s direction. “Look, who is here today.”

 

The kids turned their attention to Jungkook with enthusiastic shouts of Jungkook-hyung and Jungkook-oppa and expressing how much they missed their hyung or oppa. Their enthusiasm, liveliness, and innocence brought a smile to Jungkook’s face and he let the kids hug him. A few kids even asked to kiss his cheek which Jungkook allowed. Jimin observed the scene in amusement. The normally frosty Jungkook actually warmed up the kids. And he genuinely looked happy.

 

Then Hoseok clapped his hands to get the children’s attention, “A-i-deul, I’ve brought two friends with me today. They are really nice and friendly people and want to be your hyung and oppa. So give them a chance and be nice to them okay?”

 

There was a chorus of affirmative response from the children.

 

Hoseok proceeded to introduce Jimin and Taehyung. Both of them greeted the children with their brightest smiles. The kids ran towards them. Jimin being the affectionate person he was asked for the children to kiss him on the cheek which the not so shy ones happily obliged. Taehyung also enjoyed the same favour with the kids. Jungkook noticed that the two boys look at ease with the kids and seem to be enjoying the attention and love. Jimin picked one of the boys up and gave him a piggyback. Taehyung also joined in the fun and gave another kid a piggyback too. Both of them were laughing and their faces were glowing.

 

Hoseok saddled next to Jungkook and commented, “Seems like Jimin-ssi and V-ssi hit it off with the children quite well.”

 

Jungkook nodded and mutter. “This is so Jimin.”

 

It was loud enough for Hoseok to hear. “So Jimin?”

 

“He’s this loving, energetic ball of fluff and happiness. It’s not surprising he will be popular with the kids,” Jungkook rattled off and his eyes followed Jimin’s movements.

 

“So you’ve taken an interest in Jimin-ssi,” Hoseok teased.

 

“Wha…t?” Jungkook exclaimed. “I’m not interested in him.”

 

Hoseok decided against teasing Jungkook further. He did not want to ruin Jimin’s and Jungkook’s chances of getting together because he knew that Jungkook would get uptight about such matters.

 

“I should get Jimin-ssi and V-ssi to come here more often,” Hoseok decided to change the topic.

 

“I’m not sure if that is a good idea,” Jungkook murmured.

 

“What’s wrong? They seem to be getting along fine,” Hoseok asked.

 

“Jimin grew up in an orphanage. And I guess V-hyung too,” Jungkook said.

 

“Really? V-ssi never did bring this up during our text messages,” Hoseok paused for a while. “But look at them, they grew up alright. They probably have received so much love growing up to be able to radiate the same love and care for others.”

 

“Kookie, you have received lots of love too. Perhaps you may not realise it. But anyway, you are capable of giving love to others too. I know you love the kids. You just have to open your heart,” Hoseok advised before running off to the kids and asking them not to leave him out of the fun.

 

The kids finally settled down in one of the bigger rooms. It was song and dance time. So the teenagers decided to put on a performance for the children.

 

Hoseok started first. He knew he wasn’t the most competent as a singer, so he decided to focus on what he does best. So he did a rap performance followed by a street dance. Hoseok specialised in popping. As he was halfway through the performance, Jimin spontaneously joined in and began a dance battle with Hoseok to the oohs and ahs of the children. The children may not fully the dance but they were captivated by the older boys’ movements and energy. Jungkook was surprised when Jimin entered the dance battle fray. Hoseok was a skilled and passionate dancer and definitely had the edge over Jimin. But Jungkook’s eyes remained transfixed on Jimin as he followed Jimin’s every move, twist and wave. Jimin’s moves were sleek and agile, executed with precision and passion. And the fact that Jimin was wearing a sleeveless t-shirt exposing his toned arms caused Jungkook to unexplainably feel heat creep up his body.

 

Now it was Jimin’s turn to have his dance solo. He started off with a machine like dance which demanded agility and flexibility in the movement of his limbs. The robot and machine dance like moves were on point and the children were lapping up and enjoying every moment of it. Jungkook and Hoseok were all wide-eyed. Jimin’s performance was simply mind-blowing. Hoseok made a note to get Jimin to practise dancing with him sometime, heck, they could even enter a dance competition in the future. Jungkook was a little envious of Jimin. Meanwhile, Taehyung merely observed Jungkook and he silently noted Jungkook’s awestruck expression.

 

The youngest was definitely falling, Taehyung thought.

 

When Jimin was done, he asked the children if they wanted to learn the dance moves. Some were still shy, but three young ones stood up enthusiastically. So Jimin invited Hoseok to help which the older readily and happily agreed. Jungkook was looking expectantly at Jimin and Hoseok. He really wanted to learn, but he was both shy and scared. Jimin caught sight of Jungkook’s hopeful expression. “Jungkookie, do you want to learn?”

 

Jungkook rose from his seat on the floor only to shrink back the next moment. Jimin frowned and he approached Jungkook and offered his hand to Jungkook.

 

“Jungkookie,” he said gently with his usual bright smile, “Come on. I’ll teach you.”

 

Jungkook shook his head. “I can’t…I can’t dance…Jin hyung said I can’t dance…I can’t…”

 

“Don’t worry Jungkookie,” Jimin tried to reassure Jungkook.

 

“I really can’t…I really can’t…” Jungkook really wanted to dance. He wanted to learn how to dance. But something was preventing him from doing so. It really wasn’t Jin’s words of caution. Jungkook was probably just shy and afraid.

 

Jimin did not want to press on further and merely ruffled Jungkook’s hair lovingly. “It’s okay Jungkookie. We’ll speak to Jin-hyung about whether you can dance. I can give you private lessons.”

 

Jimin returned to the kids. Then he had an idea. He then asked the kids to all stand up to learn the dance together. With Hoseok’s urging, the kids then stood up. With all the kids standing up, Jungkook had to stand up too as he would look out of place.

 

It wasn’t possible for Jimin to teach the kids the entire dance so he taught them some basic body and limb movements that weren’t too strenuous for the kids. The children were excited about the dance as they enjoyed physical activity and followed along to Jimin’s instructions with Hoseok checking on the children.

 

Jungkook remained standing in his spot. He didn’t want to participate in the activity. Taehyung noticed Jungkook’s lack of movement and saddled himself (Taehyung) beside Jungkook.

 

“Not joining in?” Taehyung asked.

 

Jungkook shook his head.

 

“That’s such a spoilsport,” Taehyung said. “Come on, the kids are doing it.”

 

“I don’t think I can…” Jungkook quickly gave an excuse.

 

“Because Jin hyung said you’re not allowed to dance?”

 

“Um…yeah…that’s right…” Jungkook stuttered.

 

“Well, you don’t have to exert yourself as much as Jiminie. You just have to follow the movements. I’m sure you can do that right – moving your limbs. Just follow me,” Taehyung encouraged.

 

“I don’t know…” Jungkook whimpered.

 

“Come on, I’m sure you want to do this. What happened to the bratty Jungkook? Just follow what I’m doing. I’m not good as a dancer as Jiminie, but he has taught me the dance before, so I kind of know most of it.”

 

All this while, they were practising without music or parts of the dance with the music in slow motion. So with Taehyung replicating Jimin’s moves next to Jungkook, Jungkook merely followed Taehyung. Jimin noticed what Taehyung was doing and gave him a thumb-up and nod. Jungkook soon acquainted himself with the moves though he would be a little clumsy in the execution. He was a little excited as this was his first time learning how to dance. Jimin decided to turn the music on. He did one demonstration of the dance with the music on. The music was on slow motion though. He signalled to Taehyung that he was going over to watch Jungkook, and asked Taehyung to mind the music. He also signalled Hoseok to watch the children.

 

“Jiminie needs me to mind the music,” Taehyung said. “Just follow Hoseok-hyung who is in front, okay?”

 

“Wait, V-hyung…”

 

Jungkook froze when the music started. Although he knew most of the movements, his lack of confidence caused his mind to become blank. He was oblivious to his surroundings and did not notice that Jimin was next to him.

 

“Jungkookie…”

 

Jungkook heard the familiar yet gentle voice call his name.

 

“Jimin…?”

 

“Come on, let’s dance,” Jimin gave Jungkook a reassuring smile. Jimin got himself into position and started to sway along to the music.

 

“Come on Jungkookie, trust me and follow me,” Jimin encouraged. “You were doing a good job with Taetae earlier.”

 

Plucking up his courage, Jungkook looked at Jimin and began to follow him. Slowly he got into the feel of the slower than normal beat. Jimin signalled Taehyung to replay the music. This time Jimin stood behind Jungkook to correct his posture or movements. Jungkook could feel himself getting flustered with Jimin touching him, but he quickly calmed himself down by telling himself that the touching and all was for teaching purposes. He could hear Jimin’s compliments and encouragement. To end the dance segment, Jimin decided to let the kids dance along with the normal rhythm of the track. Once again, he demonstrated it once and asked his ‘students’ to follow him. When it was their turn to try, he hurried back to Jungkook’s side to accompany him in the dance. He noticed Jungkook’s expression was brightening, and he could see Jungkook was relaxed enough and beginning to enjoy himself. That was what mattered most – for Jungkook and the kids to enjoy themselves. It was not so much of getting the kids to perform exactly as Jimin did – that will require lots of practice and exertion – so he was pretty happy with all the imperfections.

 

Jimin’s dance lesson ended to the applause of the children and them asking for more. Jimin promised the kids that he will be back soon to teach them more dances. He introduced Taehyung to the children and said that Taehyung wanted to do something for the kids.

 

Taehyung took to performing children’s songs for the kids complete with cute actions and imitations. Both Hoseok and Jimin joined in the fun as well and performed the songs with exaggerated actions much to the delight of the children.

 

Jimin grabbed Jungkook up to perform alongside them before Jungkook could even protest. But Jungkook knew they were doing it for the sake of bring cheer and joy to the children, so he gamely joined in the fun. One of the songs required them to be bears so Jimin and Jungkook put on their most aegyo expression at pretending to be bears and getting one of the children to be the baby bear.

 

Lastly, it was Jungkook’s turn to perform. And he did a soulful cover of Taeyang’s I need a girl. When he was halfway through the soulful rendition of the song, Jimin and Hoseok decided to do a background dance to Jungkook’s song.

 

When the performances were over, it was time for other activities. Jimin, Taehyung and Hoseok were engaged in a football match with the children.

 

“It’s just like old times, isn’t it?” Jimin called out to Taehyung as he kicked the ball to Taehyung.

 

“Reminds me of our time as kids,” Taehyung laughed.

 

“Back then, I really wanted to grow up quickly. Now that I’m grown up, I kind of wish that we could stay forever as children,” Jimin remarked as he passed the ball over to one of the children.

 

Jungkook was teaching one of the children how to draw while glancing at Jimin and Taehyung who were laughing happily. He had mixed feelings. On one hand, he was able to see Jimin being so happy and all. In his mind, Jungkook is able to draw a sketch of Jimin kicking the ball. On the other hand, Jimin seems so comfortable and natural with Taehyung that the nagging question about the extent of their relationship gnawed at Jungkook. They’re just friends and buddies, right?

 

He was distracted by his thoughts until the girl he was next with called out his name. He quickly apologised and continued to teach her how to draw.

 

Jungkook also taught a few other kids drawing. The football game had ended by then. Hoseok and Taehyung went to help set the table for lunch. Jimin was still playing with kids. He took turns to give the children a piggyback. Jungkook found this scene adorable and decided to sketch Jimin.

 

“Jungkook-oppa, are you drawing Jimin-oppa?” the girl who was next to him asked.

 

Jungkook nodded.

 

“I like Jimin-oppa. He’s nice. Everyone likes him,” she said innocently. “Jungkook-oppa, are you drawing Jimin-oppa because you like him?”

 

Jungkook choked on his saliva and coughed, scaring the girl a little who quickly pat him on his back.

 

“Jungkook-oppa, are you okay?”

 

“I’m fine,” he uttered weakly. There was a blush creeping on his cheeks. Luckily for him, no one else noticed it. He continued to sketch Jimin until Hoseok and Taehyung called them for lunch.

 

Jimin still piggybacking one of the girls, jogged to Jungkook’s side. Jungkook quickly closed his sketchbook as he did not want Jimin to know he was doing.

 

“What were you doing? Drawing? Can you show me?” Jimin asked.

 

“It’s a secret,” Jungkook stuck his tongue out at Jimin and quickly got up and headed towards the kitchen.

 

“Come on, Jungkookie,” Jimin pleaded as he chased after Jungkook.

 

………

 

One of the girls who is about five or six years old had taken quite fondly to Jimin. She didn’t want to eat the vegetables and made cute pouty faces. Jimin being a softy, gave in, and managed to cajole her by feeding her the vegetables. Jungkook did not find this cute or amusing as the thought that kids are smart and manipulative in getting what they want by acting all cute and pouty flashed through his head.

 

Lunch was over and it was time to bid farewell to the kids. Before they left, Hoseok distributed sweets and chocolates to the joy of the children though their faces soon turned to disappointment when the children realised it was time for the older boys to leave. Hoseok promised that he would be back soon and eyed Jimin, Taehyung and Jungkook for support to alleviate the disappointment and lift the children’s spirits. Taehyung and Jimin echoed a resounding affirmation while Jungkook merely nodded.

 

When it was time to say goodbye, the children hugged the boys, Jungkook included. The girl that was pestering Jimin during lunch wanted to give Jimin a kiss, so Jimin got on one knee and offered his cheek out to her for a kiss. Jungkook was near enough to hear what she said.

 

“Jimin-oppa, I want to marry you when I grow up. Will you wait for me?”

 

Jimin merely chuckled and did not reply

 

“Oppa, I want you to promise me,” she pouted.

 

Kids nowadays, they are so daring, Jungkook thought.

 

“You might change your mind,” Jimin said gently. “Ask me again in 10 years if you still want to marry me then. Okay?”

 

She pouted but nodded.

 

Another boy then ran towards Jimin and shyly planted a kiss of Jimin’s cheek. Jungkook could hear the kid telling Jimin how he thinks his Jimin hyung is cool and that he wanted to dance like Jimin hyung when he grows up. Jimin beamed and ruffled the boy’s hair and told the boy to work hard and make him (Jimin) proud. Jungkook found this scene endearing and made a mental note in order to possibly sketch the scene in future.

 

Meanwhile Taehyung nudged Hoseok and pointed in the direction of the sulking Jungkook. Hoseok broke into a chuckle.

 

“He’s jealous over a kid,” Taehyung remarked.

 

“Looks like he really likes Jimin-ssi,” Hoseok winked. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry to have made you girls and guys and all my readers wait. And Yay to BTS's comeback.

I wanted to update much earlier, but the weight of law exam preparation bogged me down. But at last my exams are over (30 Nov) and I can kiss law exams a temporary goodbye until 2016. 

Anyway I hope you enjoy this chapter. I know it's a bit fluffy and all. I hope you like the JiKook interactions and the little thoughts that go through Jungkook's head. 

Meanwhile please flood my comment box with lots of comments as I appreciate that very much and if  you have yet to subscribe to this fic, please do subscribe to it. 

My other fan fics

Heaven's Boys 

KyuMin: Almost a love story

KyuMin: 60 Days 

It's You (너라고) Neorago (a YeWook fan-fic)