Camping

That year, the Sun Shines

It was one of the Saturdays where Hoseok, Jimin, Jungkook and Taehyung volunteer at the orphanage. There was a surprise visitor – it was none another than Jungkook’s brother – Junghyun. Hoseok, Jimin and Taehyung were surprised.

 

“Junghyun!” Hoseok exclaimed as he embraced Junghyun. “It’s been a while. How have you been? You look really good. I missed you chingu-ya.”

 

“I missed you too Hobi. I missed your laughter and the times we volunteer together. When I heard from Jungkook that you guys are volunteering today, I knew I had to come.”

 

“Thanks so much chingu-ya. You know how happy the kids will be.”

 

Jimin and Taehyung then stepped forward to introduce themselves with a bow after Hoseok and Junghyun were done talking.

 

“So you are the Park Jimin. I heard so much about you. I just had to meet you,” Junghyun remarked with a smirk. “You’re cute. I can see why Jungkook likes you. But I’m sure you have other charms as well.”

 

Hoseok and Taehyung chuckled. Jungkook denied vehemently and protested against his brother for embarrassing him. Jimin’s face was flushed from the embarrassment.

 

“Jungkookie is my only brother. He’s very precious to me. Take good care of him Jimin-ssi, and don’t bully him. Otherwise, I’ll make sure you’ll pay for it.”

 

“Chingu-ya,” Hoseok teased. “You sound as though you’re marrying Kook off to Jimin.”

 

“Hyung…Hobi-hyung!” Jungkook exclaimed.

 

Junghyun merely ruffled Jungkook’s hair lovingly while Hoseok mentioned that Junghyun was just simply looking out for Jungkook.

 

The five males started their volunteering. Junghyun was keenly observing Jimin’s interaction with the children. Hoseok joined Junghyun, “Like what you see?”

 

Junghyun hummed. “The kids seem to like him. He seems to get along with the kids. He appears patient and caring. But I need to know more about him. On first glance, he seems like a good person. And it seems he has made Jungkookie come out of his shell too. At least Jungkookie seems less intimidated and awkward around the kids and can have fun with them. It’s a good change in Jungkook’s life.”

 

Hoseok nodded and added, “He seems sincere, and he cares for Kook – teaching him dancing and all.”

 

Junghyun nodded. “I need to know more about him.”

 

“Still the over-protective hyung?” Hoseok teased.

 

“You know his condition. I don’t want him to get hurt emotionally. It might worsen his health. That’s the least I could do for him.”

 

“Sounds fair,” Hoseok remarked.

 

“I know Jungkook thinks our parents don’t really care much about him. And I think that hurts him a little,” Junghyun sighed. “They do care for him just that they don’t express it well. So it’s good Jimin expresses it openly. I think Jimin is a great guy, but this is my dongsaeng I am talking about…”

 

…..

 

“Let’s go on a camping trip…” Junghyun suggested over lunch. “Say next weekend?”

 

“Camping?” Jungkook was puzzled and surprised by his brother’s suggestion. “Next weekend? Wouldn’t that be too rushed?”

 

“That seems fun. I’m all for the idea,” Hoseok chimed. “Count me in.”

 

“Hobi-hyung, are you sure you can participate?” Taehyung asked worriedly. “But with your eyesight…and the possibility of hiking…will it be safe for you?”

 

“Hobi, is everything okay with you?” Junghyun asked. 

 

“It’s just camping…I’ll be fine…” Hoseok reassured the boys.

 

“How’s your condition Hobi?” Junghyun pressed on.

 

“It’s deteriorating…”

 

“I’m so sorry chingu-ya,” Junghyun apologised. “I’ve been a bad friend. I’ve forgotten to enquire about your condition.

 

“No worries chingu-ya. We’re all good. I wasn’t forthcoming with you about my condition earlier,” Hoseok reassured Junghyun and engulfed Junghyun into a hug.

 

“And Jimin and V, both of you are invited to join in the fun,” Junghyun added.

 

“But...don’t the three of you want to spend time together catching up. Taetae and I…” Jimin spluttered.

 

“Well, any friend of Jungkookie and Hoseok is a friend of mine. It’ll be fun. Camping requires more people…the more the merrier…and I’m sure Hobi and Jungkookie wouldn’t mind,” Junghyun said.

 

“I don’t mind,” Hoseok chimed in. “I’ll like for both of you to come.”

 

“Hyung…why camping?” Jungkook rolled his eyes. “I’d rather stay at home.”

 

“Jungkookie, you’ve always complained about not being able to enjoy outdoor activities. And now you’ve got a chance to go outdoors, you’d rather stay at home? It’s good to get in touch with nature…” Junghyun laughed.

 

“Aish…Seriously…this hyung…”

 

“You’re going and that’s final,” Junghyun said.

 

Jungkook groaned.

 

“You’ve got Jimin with you. And V and Hobi…it’ll be fun.”

 

“Alright…” Jungkook shrugged.

 

……

 

Taehyung, Jimin and Hoseok assembled at Jungkook’s home on Saturday morning. Junghyun had rented a large vehicle enough to fit the five of them and their belongings. Jimin and Taehyung were a little subdued as they were not fully awake. Hoseok was bubbling with excitement.

 

Junghyun and Jungkook emerged from their residence with their camping trip essentials. Jungkook was straddling behind Junghyun. His face brightened up when he spotted Jimin.

 

“Morning Jimin-hyung, morning V-hyung, morning Hobi-hyung,” Jungkook greeted.

 

Junghyun chuckled and remarked. “Someone’s finally happy now…”

 

“Morning Jungkookie,” Jimin greeted cheerily. The sleepiness in him dissipated the moment he saw the younger.

 

Jimin held Jungkook’s hand and led the younger to the vehicle which Junghyun rented. They sat in the last row while Taehyung and Hoseok occupied the seats just behind the driver’s seat. Junghyun was driving today and he would be driving during the entire trip.

 

The boys were bursting with energy in the first hour of the trip. Junghyun put on some music and the boys were singing along, telling funny stories, cracking jokes and laughing. They made a rest stop along the way to get some snacks and to allow Junghyun to rest a bit.

 

When they resumed their journey, the mood quietened down. Jimin and Jungkook had dozed off with Jungkook resting his head on Jimin’s lap. Taehyung shut his eyes for a nap. Hoseok remained awake as he hummed a song. Junghyun turned the radio off to allow the younger boys to rest.

 

“They look really cute together, don’t they?” Hoseok remarked.

 

Junghyun caught a glimpse of Jimin and Jungkook from the mirror. He was able to infer Jungkook was resting on Jimin’s lap.

 

Junghyun nodded and smiled.

 

“It’s been a while since I’ve seen Kookie so relaxed and happy,” Hoseok remarked. “I’m glad Kookie met Jimin.”

 

“What about you, Hobi, are you happy?”

 

“I am.”

 

“Do you mean it?”

 

“I do.”

 

“Hobi…we’re friends. You can be honest with me,” Junghyun encouraged.

 

“I’m scared chingu-ya. Although I tell myself that I’ll be fine and all, I’m still scared of the day when I finally lose my sight. I don’t think any amount of reassurance can emotionally prepare me for this eventuality.”

 

“I’m sorry…”

 

“What are you sorry for?”

 

“For asking you to talk about it and I can’t think of an encouraging or sympathetic word to say that will not make it sound so patronising…”

 

“That’s alright. I’m glad that you are willing to listen to me. Some people just don’t give a about other people’s thoughts or what they have to say. I’m glad you’re not such a person,” Hoseok said sincerely.

 

“Since you said Jungkook and Jimin look cute together, what about you Hobi? Who do you look cute with together? How about V?” Junghyun teased. “Both of you seem to get along well. He’s seems to be concerned over you…and looking out for you…since I first met him up till today…”

 

Hoseok sighed.

 

“What’s wrong?” Junghyun enquired. “Do you not feel his care...?”

 

“It’s not that. I feel he’s worrying too much about me. I feel like I’m a burden to him.”

 

“Why would you say that?”

 

“Because I’m disabled…”

 

“Hobi!”

 

Junghyun paused a bit before he continued. “Do you like V?”

 

“I…um…I…um…” Hoseok stuttered.

 

“He’s asleep…” Junghyun pointed out.

 

“I do…but I don’t even know what he thinks of me or feels for me. But I’m happy the way things are now. We’re friends….Besides how can I dream of being with anyone? I’m going blind in my other eye. I’ll just be a burden…”

 

“Hobi, I know if you’re hesitant because you don’t know what he feels…but you shouldn’t think that you’re a burden...”

 

“I just don’t want to burden someone I love…”

 

“I’m sure the person will accept you as who you are…”

 

“That’s just romanticising things…” Hoseok sighed.

 

“So you don’t plan on telling V?”

 

“I’m happy us being friends…”

 

Unknown to Junghyun and Hoseok, Taehyung was half awake and had heard the exchange. Taehyung was secretly happy, and he continued to pretend to sleep. The first part of the plan has worked. Now all he needed is to execute the next step – to get Hoseok to give up taking Taehyung’s eyes.

 

…..

 

The boys arrived at their campsite. It was in a mountainous area in the countryside with fresh air and nature. Jungkook was still asleep and Jimin nudged him gently.

 

“Jungkookie…”

 

The younger boy opened his eyes and rubbed them. He was still groggy. Everything was still a blur to him.

 

“Jiminie-hyung?” he muttered.

 

“We’ve arrived. The rest of them are unloading. We should help them…”

 

“Eung…” the younger responded.

 

The boys had to decide their sleeping arrangements. They had brought along three tents with them. It would be alright if the two siblings shared one tent, Jimin and Taehyung sharing another and Hoseok getting one all to himself. However, the Junghyun decided to milk Hoseok’s condition (not that Hoseok minded since he latched on to Junghyun’s intention) to get someone to share the tent with Hoseok. Taehyung quickly agreed as he had seemingly caught on the idea of trying to bring Jimin and Jungkook together. Jimin volunteered to sleep alone but Taehyung came up with a lame excuse much to the amusement of the others present that Jimin can be quite timid and scared of unfamiliar places and therefore decided to push Jungkook to share the same tent with Jimin. Jimin was embarrassed at Taehyung’s revelation while Jungkook chuckled and teased the older boy by promising he would take care of Jimin and chase away all of Jimin’s fears and nightmares. 

 

They began to pitch their tents. Jimin was mostly doing all the work with Jungkook watching and assisting Jimin when Jimin asked for help. Jungkook marvelled at Jimin for being so orderly and so nifty with his hands. Taehyung and Hoseok were having a ball of a time with their tent. Both males were not too smart with their tents and it took them a while to actually get their tent ready after a bit of quibbling, nagging and orders being given. Junghyun meanwhile had his tent fixed in no time.

 

It was almost late afternoon when they had finished pitching their tents. The boys decided to take a walk around the campsite as they did not want to wander too far from the grounds. They planned to go hiking the next day and they decided to conserve their energy. They started a barbecue for dinner, talked, sang, cracked jokes, and laughed. They played a few games and drank some beer with the exception of Jungkook since he was still not of legal age to drink alcohol. They jokingly told him to drink milk instead much to his chagrin. But the adults took care not to drink too much. They headed to sleep before midnight.

 

…..

 

Taehyung could make out the faint sound of footsteps that seemed to get distant and a faint compression on the tent. Was it Hoseok? What was he doing? Taehyung opened his eyes and turned to check for Hoseok. So it was probably Hoseok leaving the tent. Taehyung glanced at his watch. It was two in the morning. What was Hoseok doing? Maybe he just went to relieve himself. It was really none of Taehyung’s business. Why does he care so much about Hoseok? But it was night, they were in the open and Hoseok’s already blind in one eye and the other might just fail him at any moment.

 

Taehyung groaned and rose from his lying position. Not that he was able to have a peaceful sleep anyway. A tent is still a tent and does not beat the comfort of a bed. Furthermore, Hoseok’s confession of liking him was still weighing on his mind. He should be happy, shouldn’t he? His plan is heading towards success. So why is he feeling a little tensed and conflicted?

 

He warned Jimin not to fall in love with Jungkook, yet he could not keep to his own advice. He hated to admit it, but he has grown a little fond of Hoseok in these few months, and he kind of pitied Hoseok a little – Hoseok was hiding his fear behind that goofy, cheerful façade of his. Taehyung knows – because he feared the same thing as Hoseok – to lose his sight.  

 

He quickly slipped on his shoes and scurried to catch up with Hoseok. Luckily Hoseok had not ventured too far off otherwise Taehyung would be on a wild good chase. When he had Hoseok in sight, he kept a comfortable distance from Hoseok so Hoseok would not know he had been following him.

 

After a good 15 minutes or so. Hoseok stopped in his tracks where a small lake was. Hoseok remained standing on the spot. After observing Hoseok for a while, Taehyung decided to saddle next to Hoseok.

 

Hoseok turned to face Taehyung with a smile. He wasn’t surprised at Taehyung joining him.

 

“Can’t sleep?” Taehyung asked.

 

Hoseok nodded. “I apologise if I had woken you up.”

 

“It’s alright.”

 

“Can’t sleep as well?” Hoseok enquired.

 

“Yeah. The tent is not as comfortable as my bed.”

 

Hoseok chuckled. “I reckon. I just wanted to get some fresh night air and breeze and just admire the night sky. The skies are pretty clear tonight so you could see the stars and all.”

 

“It is indeed a good night,” Taehyung agreed as he stared at the horizon just in front of him. The moon casts its glow on the faces of the two boys. They stood next to each other in silence. Hoseok turned occasionally to glance at Taehyung’s visage. Taehyung looked serene, and the moonlight seemed to illuminate his sharp features and boyish looks. Taehyung was beautiful and Hoseok studied Taehyung diligently so as to memorise the contours of Taehyung’s face and all his features so that he could recall them in his mind when the day he loses his sight.

 

It was Taehyung who first broke the silence by suggesting they return to the tent to rest. After all they will have a long day ahead of them and getting some rest even though it meant sleeping in the uncomfortable tent is better than having no rest at all and drained of all energy.

 

“You could go ahead if you’re tired V,” Hoseok said. “I’ll like to hang around for a while more.”

 

“Hyung…I can’t leave you alone…”

 

“Why?”

 

“I’m worried about you…your condition and all…what happens if you lose your vision…you won’t find your way back…or even worse… fall and injure yourself…”

 

“So you followed me because you were worried?”

 

“I was, and still am,” Taehyung replied.

 

“Why did you do that?”

 

“Because I care…”

 

“Don’t you find me a burden?”

 

“Why do you keep seeing yourself as a burden? You tell Jungkook that it is okay to lean on someone and not to see himself as a burden, so why aren’t you practising what you preach?” Taehyung snapped.

 

Hoseok inched closer to Taehyung and he pulled Taehyung into a hug. Taehyung wasn’t able to react fast to escape Hoseok’s grasp. He opened his arms to reciprocate the hug.

 

“I’m scared I’ll be a burden to someone I like,” Hoseok whispered.

 

“You won’t be,” Taehyung whispered in return.

 

They remained like this for a few minutes until Taehyung finally convinced Hoseok to return to the camp.

 

“It’s getting chilly. Let’s return to the tent before we catch a cold,” Taehyung said.

 

……

 

Jungkook was unable to sleep. It felt chilly for a summer night – probably because they were up in the mountains or something. Lying in the tent wasn’t a pleasant and comfortable experience for the teenager so he was surprised Jimin was able to sleep soundly and peacefully. Jimin wasn’t snoring. Jungkook could make out the rhythm of Jimin’s breathing. He studied Jimin’s angelic face as the older boy slept. Jungkook wanted to extend his fingers to feel Jimin’s face. Jungkook could feel his heartbeat accelerating.

 

Jungkook started to worry. Is this the end for him? Will his heart burst or will it just stop? He couldn’t explain this feeling. It was something new to him and it felt so good. He decided to caress Jimin’s face. Jungkook wanted to touch Jimin. No, he wanted to kiss the sleeping angel Jimin. So even he were to die, he would die without regrets. He lowered his face and he ghosted his lips on Jimin’s. It was for a few moments but Jungkook was happy and retreated back to his spot.

 

I can finally die happy, Jungkook thought to himself as he waited for his heart to stop. However, the thumping didn’t recede.

 

What’s wrong? Do I need to take my medicine?

 

He was about to reach for his bag with the medicine and it occurred to him that he wasn’t going to die. He was only reacting this way because he felt anxious being so close to Jimin. There is just something about Jimin which makes Jungkook react like this as he shut his eyes at this realisation – at the realisation he is in love with Jimin.

 

……

 

Jimin awoke in the morning to find Jungkook snuggling with the former. A smile formed on his face. Jimin felt warm. It suddenly occurred to Jimin that the night had been chilly and the younger boy probably felt cold.

 

“Jungkookie…” Jimin called out gently. But there was no response from the younger boy. He tried calling for Jungkook a few times before the other stirred.

 

Jungkook was a little startled when he opened his eyes to find himself so close to Jimin. He was a little embarrassed. He wanted to open his mouth to say something but he just couldn’t find the words to say.

 

Jimin sensing the younger awkwardness quickly said, “It was a cold night, wasn’t it?”

 

It was, the younger muttered softly. He had a faint memory that the weather seemed to turn chilly just before he finally shut his eyes.

 

I must have gotten closer to Jimin because I felt cold, Jungkook thought. You don’t have to think much about it, Jungkook told himself. Jungkook was still huddling close to Jimin. He did not want to leave Jimin yet as he felt warm next to Jimin.

 

“Jungkookie, it’s time to get up. We’re going on a hike remember.”

 

“But I don’t want to. It’s cold outside, but it’s so nice and warm in here.”

 

“Hmm…that’s because we’re keeping each other warm. I’ll keep you warm throughout the hike.”

 

Jungkook reluctantly nodded his head as he followed Jimin to wash up, have breakfast and prepare for the hike.

 

His brother was already up and about preparing breakfast with Jimin helping out with the chores. Taehyung and Hoseok were still asleep and emerged from their tent just as breakfast was about to be served all bleary eyed.

 

Junghyun greeted them in a cheery tone but the two responded to him lazily. Junghyun teased them that something must have kept them awake all right that they slept late and were unable to wake up.

 

Taehyung quickly shifted his gaze away from Junghyun while Hoseok let out an awkward chuckle. Junghyun knew nothing happened between the two. He was just teasing them for fun.

 

When they were had finished breakfast and gotten ready, they set off on the hike.  

 

Junghyun was in front of the group followed by Hoseok with Taehyung beside Hoseok or tagging behind like a loyal puppy. Behind Taehyung was Jungkook. Jimin was right beside Jungkook or behind him. The boys took a slow trek to allow Hoseok and Jungkook to be able to follow their pace. They took steps every now and then and posed for selfies and pictures along the way. They were all bright smiles in all the pictures they had taken. Taehyung put an arm around Hoseok’s shoulder as Hoseok flashed a V sign behind Junghyun. Jungkook rested his arm on his brother’s shoulder while Jimin s his arm around Jungkook’s shoulder.

 

It was almost midday when they reached the end of their trail. They were all hungry and sat down to have a quick meal and taking in the fresh air and scenery from the high elevation. It was a clear day so the boys managed to get a good view from where they were. They spent a bit of time there resting before they made their way down to the base.

 

Unfortunately for them, they were about a third into their journey when the weather began to change dramatically. The temperatures fell – causing the atmosphere to become chilly. The skies became overcast and rain started pelting down on the travellers. This prompted Hoseok to remark how lucky they were to be able to enjoy the good weather up till when the downpour began, and how the weather could change without a warning. They decided to stop in their tracks to wait out the weather. While they were wet, they were not soaked to their skin. But they were still shivering from the double whammy of the rain and low temperatures. Jungkook began to develop a cold and he was sneezing. This attracted the attention of the older boys who began to fuss over him. He was trembling terribly from the cold and he had mucus flowing.

 

Jimin felt Jungkook’s forehead. It was burning hot.

 

“I think Jungkook has a fever,” Jimin said worriedly. “It was chilly last night. He must have caught a cold then. This weather probably made it worse.”

 

Junghyun quickly felt Jungkook’s forehead. “He has a fever. We should get back to the camp and return to Seoul as soon as possible. But this weather isn’t helping. It will be late by the time we return to base, pack up and head to Seoul.”

 

“Do you have any medicine back in the tent?” Hoseok asked.

 

“I’m not sure,” Junghyun groaned.

 

“Perhaps we could take Jungkook to a clinic in the nearest town,” Jimin offered hopefully.

 

“We could do that,” Junghyun muttered.

 

“Should we wait for the rain to subside a little before we make our way down?” Hoseok asked.

 

Junghyun nodded. “It’s dangerous to walk in this downpour.”

 

Junghyun nudged his younger brother. “Kookie, can you walk?”

 

“I’m fine hyung. I just feel a little tired, but I can manage. But can we wait for the rain to stop?”

 

Junghyun nodded.

 

Just as the downpour came suddenly and unpredictably, it left all of a sudden. Fortunately for the hikers, they did not wait more than half an hour before they resumed their journey. This time round, Taehyung and Hoseok walked in front as Junghyun and Jimin stayed next to Jungkook. Jimin had a firm grip on Jungkook, but when the two boys loosened their hold on the somewhat weakened Jungkook, he slipped on the slippery path, fell and sprained his ankle.

 

Jungkook winced in pain but he insisted on completing the trek. But the boys wouldn’t allow him to. In the end, Jimin and Junghyun decided to take turns to carry Jungkook on their backs. Jungkook was adamant to this idea and refused profusely. He was after all rather tall. And although he wasn’t heavy, it would not be an easy task for Jimin or Junghyun who were much smaller in built than he was. But the two older boys wouldn’t have it any other way.

 

Jungkook was a little embarrassed that Jimin had to carry him. He apologised to Jimin, but the older boy just beamed a smile at Jungkook and told him that everything would be alright. He told Jungkook to hang on in there. They would get down to the camp, and then take him to a clinic in the nearest town for an injection. Jungkook nodded. As Jimin carried him for the first leg of the journey, Jungkook fell asleep as he was feeling unwell and fatigued. Jimin knew the younger boy was asleep. When Junghyun asked to take over from Jimin, Jimin just told Junghyun that he would just carry Jungkook all the way back to the camp. Jimin did not want to interrupt Jungkook’s rest. Junghyun was really apologetic but he gave in to Jimin’s wishes. He was moved by Jimin’s care and concern for Jungkook, and secretly approved of Jimin.

 

Jungkook meanwhile had a good rest until they reached the campsite. He felt warm resting on Jimin’s body. It was then that Jimin woke him up. Jungkook was surprised that Jimin was still carrying him on his back.

 

“Jimin…hyung…” Jungkook stuttered. “Did you just carry me all the way down without a rest?”

 

Jimin only hummed in response.

 

Jungkook was horrified and began to apologise profusely. Tears began to flow from his eyes down his cheeks. “I’m sorry Jimin hyung…you must be aching quite badly now. Why didn’t you let Junghyun hyung take over? Is it because you didn’t want to wake me? I’m so sorry Jimin hyung. I’ve been a burden…”

 

“I’m fine Jungkookie. I go to the gym to work out almost every day. I’m strong. Now let’s get you to the doctor,” Jimin reassured Jungkook in a soothing voice.

 

“But Jimin hyung…”

 

“I’m fine Jungkookie. I really am,” Jimin reiterated. 

 

Jimin took Jungkook to the car and boarded the car with Jungkook while Junghyun drove. Taehyung and Hoseok remained at the camp. Fortunately the ride was not more than an hour to the nearest town and they managed to find a clinic which was still open. The doctor gave Jungkook an injection to bring down his fever and some medicine. Jungkook slept on the drive back to the campsite.

 

Jimin took care of Jungkook the entire night, and ensured that the younger’s fever was under control. Fortunately, Jungkook’s fever did go down and he was feeling much better the next morning. The group then headed to Seoul the same day with beautiful memories of their trip.   

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It has been about three months. Sorry for the long wait for the update. I had spent a month in Europe finishing up my last unit. And I had to spend 3 to 4 weeks after the course ended to finish the essay. At this moment, I feel so lost and without direction. Fortunately, I can find a bit of solace in writing. 

Anyway, back to the story, I hope you enjoyed this update and the JiKook and VHope moments. 

Please do leave your comments, and subscribe/upvote the story if you had not done so.

I'm also in the process of updating a one-shot with two SF9 members (Hwiyoung x Taeyang) as the protagonists. I've recently gotten into them. Please check it out if you have the time. Please support Read My FortuneI might do a JiKook version of this. 

I hope my next update won't take too long.