Junghyun's confrontation

That year, the Sun Shines

Jimin was lying on his bed and staring into space. It was already two in the morning but his mind was replaying the kiss scene just hours earlier.

 

Jimin could vividly recall that it was Jungkook who initiated the kiss. The younger had shut his eyes and planted a kiss on Jimin’s lips.

 

He could remember the soft touch of Jungkook’s lips on his (Jimin’s) lips.

 

He could remember the fuzzy warm feeling that resonated throughout his body. He could feel a gush of myriad emotions enveloping him – joy, excitement, and love. Perhaps Jimin was being a little overdramatic; perhaps it was just figment of his vivid imagination, but Jimin could have sworn he felt little tremors rocking his heart. 

 

Jimin did not return the kiss. He did not know how to react to this unexpected turn of events – especially with Jungkook taking the initiative to kiss him. Neither did Jungkook attempt to take it further than a kiss on Jimin’s lips. His lips remained on Jimin’s lips for quite a while before Jungkook shyly pulled back. The younger fixed his gaze on the ground, feeling embarrassed to look straight in the eye at Jimin.

 

Jungkook muttered a soft apology for kissing Jimin.

 

“Jungkookie, why are you apologising?” Jimin asked gently.

 

“Because I kissed you without your permission,” the younger replied softly as his voice trailed off. “And because hyung does not seem to like it.”

 

Jimin did not say anything. Jungkook was still feeling nervous, but he decided to man up to ask the next question, which ended up more like a squeak than the manly vibe he wanted to give off.

 

“Does hyung not like it?”

 

Jungkook could only wish the earth to open a hole and swallow him whole at that moment.

 

“Ani, it was nice,” Jimin smiled. He broke out into his usual eye-smile which reassured Jungkook. “Did Jungkookie like it?”

 

“It was nice for me too,” Jungkook muttered as he quickly stuffed his palms into his jeans pockets. Jungkook paused for a moment. “Could I kiss hyung again?”

 

“Now?”

 

“Ani, ani…I mean…in the future…”

 

Jimin didn’t say a word, but ruffled the younger’s hair earning Jungkook’s complaints that Jimin is not allowed to ruffle his hair. Only Jungkook can ruffle Jimin’s hair because Jimin is shorter. Jungkook tiptoed to emphasise their height difference. Jimin could only roll his eyes in exasperation and complain that the younger does not respect him.

 

The awkwardness of Jungkook’s kiss and Jungkook’s question were now forgotten.

 

……

 

There was a knock on Jimin’s bedroom door before the door opened revealing Taehyung.

 

“Hey Jiminie, I saw your light on and I figured that you can’t sleep. Want to cuddle and chat for a bit? Maybe we could sleep together tonight?”

 

“Sure TaeTae. Turn off the lights first.”

 

Taehyung climbed into the bed and snuggled next to Jimin.

 

“A penny for your thoughts?” Taehyung asked. “Or rather a Jungkookie for your thoughts?”

 

Jimin let out a soft sigh.

 

“Okay, this seems serious,” Taehyung mused. “Spill the beans. What happened?”

 

“Jungkookie told me he likes me. He even initiated a kiss.”

 

“Congratulations Jiminie. Our plan is working,” Taehyung replied listlessly.

 

However, Jimin could detect the lack of enthusiasm in Taehyung’s voice.  

 

“You think?” Jimin quizzed. He was searching for some affirmation from Taehyung with regards to their plan. He was hoping that Taehyung would encourage Jimin to be selfish and fight for his (Jimin’s) right to live. This will help ease Jimin’s conscience a little.

 

“Eung.”

 

But Taehyung’s reply was more perfunctory than a firm validation of their plan.

 

“I guess I have to wait for a while before he totally falls for me before I get him to sign the papers and sign his life away,” Jimin’s laughed bitterly. “This is to ensure success. For now I just need to keep up the caring and loving hyung act, spend more time with him, and finally I tell him I love him. Can you believe that he asked to kiss me again?”

 

Jimin’s voice cracked at the thought of him hurting and betraying Jungkook, and Jungkook giving up his life in order for Jimin to preserve his own.

 

“You have it well-thought out. That’s good Jiminie. You’re doing well without me,” Taehyung remarked casually.

 

“Enough about Jungkookie and me. How are things between you and Hobi-hyung? Any progress?”

 

“We’re hanging out quite often now. I’ve met his dance friends and crew. They’re cool. He’s invited me over to his place for dinner one of these days.”

 

“So you’re making good progress then,” Jimin remarked.

 

“Not really. Not to the stage where you and Jeon Jungkook are at. Maybe Jung Hoseok is just dumb. Or maybe he is just a coward. Getting him to love me isn’t an easy task.”

 

“So what are you going to do about it?” Jimin asked.

 

“I probably don’t need Jung Hoseok to fall in love with me in order to get him to waive his rights to my eyes,” Taehyung shrugged.

 

“Oh!”

 

“Jung Hoseok is a proud person. He doesn’t like to be a burden to anyone. And he seems like a reasonable person to not want anyone to sacrifice anything for him,” Taehyung explained. “I just have to find the right time to put it across my situation to him.”

 

“When is the right time? Are you that confident that he would be willing to give up his rights to your eyes? It’s a risky move…Tae…”

 

“I know. It’s a calculated risk. But he’s a decent and righteous person who will do the right thing. As for when, I will probably talk to Hoseok once you’ve succeeded with Jeon Jungkook.”

 

Taehyung paused for a while before he continued in an earnest tone. “You need to succeed Jiminie. You have to. Your life is at stake. And my sight…once you succeed with Jeon Jungkook.”

 

“I suppose,” Jimin replied indifferently. “I guess best of luck to us.”

 

……

 

Jungkook made his way to the kitchen. His stomach was grumbling from hunger and stimulated by the waif of freshly scrambled eggs. Junghyun was preparing breakfast for the both of them.

 

“Good morning hyung.”

 

“Morning Jungkookie,” his brother beamed a smile at the younger brother.

 

“Wow, hyung is making breakfast for me today,” Jungkook’s eyes lit up and he clapped his hands. “I love you hyung.”

 

“Anything for my baby brother who has grown so tall and blossomed into a fine young man.”

 

“That’s so cheesy hyung.”

 

The two brothers hung around the kitchen as they had a simple breakfast of toast and eggs.

 

“Hyung. This is so good,” Jungkook gave his thumbs up and he put another spoonful of scrambled eggs into his mouth. “The eggs are so fluffy. You’re such a good cook. I wish you would make me breakfast every morning.”

 

“Hold it there. I’m your hyung, not your personal chef.”

 

“But hyung will do so because hyung loves me right,” Jungkook pulled Junghyun into a sudden hug. The older could only ruffle his younger brother’s hair as he marvelled at his younger brother’s bright smile. 

 

“Jungkookie, you’re so cute. You’re like a bunny.” 

 

“Hyung!” Jungkook protested. “I know I’m cute, but I’m not a bunny.”

 

Junghyun thought he should seize this perfect moment to talk to Jungkook about Jimin.

 

“Did anyone else say you’re cute Jungkookie? Did Jimin-ssi say Jungkookie is cute?”

 

“What?” Jungkook spluttered. “No…no…”

 

“I believe we had that talk just yesterday. So did you tell Jimin-ssi that you like him?” Junghyun probed gently.

 

“I…I…kind of did…” Jungkook muttered. His face was blushing. “I kissed Jimin-hyung.”

 

“You what?” Junghyun roared in laughter that he needed a few seconds to compose himself. “My shy younger brother actually plucked up the courage to kiss another guy. Wow. Jungkookie, you’ve grown up!”

 

Junghyun pat Jungkook on his back. “Good on you.”

 

“Anyway, how did Jimin-ssi react?”

 

“He was a little surprised at the kiss. But he said it was nice. I asked him if I could kiss him again. He didn’t say no. I take it that is a good thing – Jimin-hyung not saying no. Is it hyung?”

 

“Hmm.”

 

Noticing Junghyun’s humming, Jungkook started to worry and he rambled, “Hyung, what are you thinking? Is it a bad thing? Jimin-hyung not saying no. Does it mean Jimin-hyung doesn’t like the kiss? But he said it was nice. He didn’t say I can’t kiss him in the future. Have I screwed things up?” 

 

 Did Jimin-ssi say he likes you?”

 

“Well, he didn’t say those words.”

 

Junghyun hummed in response.

 

“What is it hyung?” Jungkook asked.

 

“He didn’t say he likes you,” Junghyun pointed out.

 

“But I think he likes me…the same way I like him…he may not have said those words to me. But his actions…if he doesn’t like me, why would he bother with me? Why would he go out with me? Why would he show his concern for me? Why would he even let me kiss him? Why would he say the kiss was nice?” Jungkook reasoned.

 

“Jungkookie, maybe he likes you as a friend.”

 

“But I don’t think you will like it if Hoseok-hyung kisses you right? You wouldn’t tell Hoseok-hyung that kissing you is nice, would you?”

 

“Jungkookie…”

 

“I know I’m young and naïve, but I don’t think I am that stupid. He surprised me with a concert. He called home delivery for me. He teaches me dancing. Why would he do or this?”

 

“Maybe he wants something from you,” Junghyun suggested.

 

“But what can I give him? I’m a sickly boy that might die anytime.” Jungkook raised his voice in frustration.

 

Jungkook realised he was being rude to his brother and he quickly apologised.

 

“Maybe Jimin hyung doesn’t like me. Maybe he just pities me and sees me as some pathetic charity case,” Jungkook sighed in defeat.

 

“Jungkookie, it’s not like that…you’re not pathetic…”

 

“It’s okay hyung. I am pathetic. Even if Jimin-hyung doesn’t like me the way I like him, I still like him anyway.”

 

“Jungkookie…how well do you know Jimin-ssi? How long do you know him for? Three months? Four months? Less than six right? Do you know his background? How did you both even meet?”

 

There was an underlying tone of hostility in Junghyun’s tone.  

 

“Hyung, why are you even asking these questions? You know the answers too. I’ve known Jimin-hyung since the start of spring…so that works to be about three months by now. And you know Jimin-hyung’s background too. He grew up in an orphanage with V-hyung, the one Doctor Jin volunteers at. He’s now teaching dance and is looking to enter university. Jimin-hyung is close to V-hyung and Doctor Jin. I first met him at Doctor Jin’s clinic – sort of anyway. We only spoke much later, not at Doctor Jin’s clinic, but at park opposite the hospital. He approached me with ice cream,” Jungkook rattled, feeling puzzled at Junghyun’s sudden questions and his unfriendly tone.

 

Junghyun’s heart sank when he heard Jungkook’s answer.

 

“Jungkookie, hyung is just looking out for you. I don’t want you to get hurt,” Junghyun’s tone softened a little.

 

“But why would I get hurt?” Jungkook was now confused. “Jimin-hyung would never hurt me.”

 

“Jimin-ssi…well…” Junghyun could not possibly tell Jungkook his suspicions that Jimin might have approached Jungkook ulterior motives. After all, a part of Junghyun found this entire cloning thing a little unbelievable. He had to think of something quick to excuse his actions. “You said you like Jimin-ssi even though he may not reciprocate. I’m just scared you will get hurt because your feelings are unrequited. Yes. That’s right. That’s what I’m worry about.”

 

“Hyung, you’re strange. It was just yesterday that you told me it is okay to like Jimin-hyung…”

 

“But Jimin-ssi didn’t say he likes you…so I’m worried…I don’t want you to end up heartbroken.”

 

“But my heart is literally broken,” Jungkook deadpanned.

 

Junghyun sighed.

 

“Don’t worry hyung,” Jungkook gave a cute smile. “I’ll be fine.”  

 

……

 

As Jin exited his clinic at the end of his working day, an unfamiliar person approached him.

 

“Dr Kim Seokjin?”

 

“That’s me. I don’t think you’re one of my patients, right? My clinic is closed for the day. If there is nothing serious, do you think you could come first thing tomorrow, or if it is an emergency, perhaps you should head to the ER.”

 

“I’m Jeon Junghyun, Jeon Jungkook’s brother.”

 

“Oh.”

 

“Do you have time for a quick chat?”

 

……

 

Sitting across Junghyun, Jin could notice the tension in the other boy from his stiffened body language and the listless stirring of his coffee.

 

“Junghyun-ssi, are you here to talk to me about Jungkookie?”

 

Junghyun remained quiet.

 

“Junghyun-ssi,” Jin called out again.

 

“Dr Kim, I know what our dads do,” Junghyun blurted.

 

Jin froze for a moment at Junghyun’s words, but he put on a calm front. Jin probably had an idea why Junghyun was here.

 

“Does he know about our plan?” Jin thought to himself.

 

“They are all involved in cloning research,” Jin freely admitted.

 

It was time for Junghyun to throw out the daggers. “Then do you know a Park Jimin and Kim Taehyung also known as V? If I am not wrong, Kim Taehyung or V is a clone of your deceased younger brother, right?”

 

“Yes, Kim Taehyung is a physical clone of my deceased younger brother. But I wouldn’t know if they will look alike. My brother died at a young age. I see Taehyung as a different person altogether. I see him as a separate person, not as a clone of my deceased younger brother.”

 

“What about Park Jimin? Is he a clone?”

 

“He’s a human being,” Jin answered firmly.

 

“But he doesn’t have a soul, does he?”

 

“The soul part relates to religion. I’m a doctor. I’m also a scientist. I can’t speculate on what I don’t see.”

 

“Then a clone is no different than an animal or a plant,” Junghyun countered.

 

“I just know that Jiminie is a human being. He breathes the air we breathe. He eats. He sleeps. He talks, walks, dances and plays games. He can think. He feels pain, joy and sadness. He has feelings. He can love. He can give and receive and affection. That is all that matters to me. And those are traits of a human being, aren’t they Junghyun-ssi?” Jin retorted calmly.

 

“I’m just going to cut to the chase. What does Park Jimin want with Jungkookie?”

 

“Nothing,” Jin answered flatly. It was a lie, but he had to do it.

 

“Doesn’t Park Jimin want Jungkookie to sign a form or write a letter to state that he doesn’t want Park Jimin’s heart?” Junghyun attacked.

 

“What nonsense are you talking about?” Jin countered.

 

“Don’t feign ignorance. Your dad is one of the leading researchers in this project. I heard from my dad that as long as the recipient of the clone’s organs waives his right to the clone’s organs in writing, the clone does not need to give up his or her organs to the recipient,” Junghyun pointed out.

 

“But what makes you sure that Jiminie is the Jungkook’s donor?”

 

“I’m not stupid. The fact Jungkook needs his transplant soon and Park Jimin appeared all of a sudden in Jungkook’s life is too much of a coincidence to ignore.”

 

“So whether the donor is Jiminie or another clone, does it make it okay for that clone to give up his heart and subsequently his life so that another person can live?”

 

“We’re talking about Jungkookie. He’s my brother. He’s your patient. He’s a human being. And he has suffered from his disease since childhood…”

 

“What about the clone? The clone is a human being too. Aren’t you being selfish Junghyun-ssi?”

 

Junghyun started to sob. “But Jungkookie is my brother…I don’t want him to die…I want him to be well…if the heart transplant from the clone…”

 

“And Taehyung, Jimin and all the other clones…they are like my brothers and sisters too. I’ve been volunteering at the orphanage since my teenage years. Put yourself in my shoes. How would you feel when you see the people you care about sent to their deaths or have their organs harvested and then left to wither and die?”

 

“But Jungkookie is so pitiful…it’s so unfair to him…”

 

“I sympathise with you. Trust me, I feel sad that Jungkookie is struck with his disease. It’s unfair to Jungkookie, but you need to understand Junghyun-ssi that it isn’t fair to force another human being to donate his organs to another human. These clones are not goods or items. They are human beings. I don’t agree with what our fathers did. They say it is for the advancement of mankind, but I believe the true advancement in science is finding ways to treat and eradicate a disease, and not trying to play creator and decides who lives or dies. Junghyun-ssi, I know you’re a well-educated and a person with reason. I’m sure you understand where I’m coming from, and hopefully agree with me.”

 

“I understand. I don’t agree with what our dads are doing. It’s wrong. But what about Jungkookie? My poor brother will have to die.”

 

“But would Jungkookie be happy to know that he caused another human being to die just for him to live?”

 

Junghyun shook his head. “He won’t. He’s such a nice and kind boy. He would rather give up this own life than to receive the heart transplant.”

 

“Therefore I beg of you hyung, please don’t hurt him. If the donor is really Jimin-ssi, hyung please don’t let Jimin-ssi toy with Jungkookie’s feelings. If Jimin-ssi wants to make Kook love him in order to get Jungkookie to give up his right to Jimin-ssi’s heart, it will really hurt him. Because Jungkookie really likes Jimin-ssi. Jungkookie is already so pitiful. To have his feelings played and betrayed…I don’t know how poor Jungkookie will be able to take it. He’s fragile – both physically and emotionally. I’m afraid it will kill him. I’m asking you for this favour, Jin-hyung, as a hyung, from one hyung to another, please prevent Jimin-ssi from hurting Jungkookie. I’ll accept that Jungkookie has to die, but I want him to die a happy person, not dying a broken-hearted or sad person,” Junghyun pleaded impassionately; his eyes welling with tears.

 

“Jungkookie will waive his rights to the donor’s heart. I’ll talk to him. I won’t tell him who the donor is. I’m sure he will give up. He’s a kind boy.”

 

Jin pat Junghyun on his back. “I understand. Don’t worry. Jungkookie won’t be hurt.”

 

……

 

Jimin shuffled nervously towards Junghyun. Jimin had received a phone call from Junghyun all of a sudden requesting to meet. And now here he was, at their arranged meeting place at a café. Jimin wondered what Junghyun wanted.

 

“Take a seat Jimin-ssi.”

 

“Thank you,” Jimin gingerly pulled out the chair and sat down.

 

“I won’t beat around the bush. I’ve asked you out today to speak to you about Jungkookie.”

 

Jimin gulped. Jimin felt himself tense up, but he had to put on a calm, innocent façade. “What about Jungkookie?”

 

“If I right about your identity and your motives, I’m warning you now not to hurt Jungkookie,” Junghyun stated firmly.

 

“I don’t get what you mean,” Jimin feigned ignorance.

 

“Please don’t act dumb with me Jimin-ssi. Do I need to spell it out for you?  Perhaps I do. You are V-ssi are not orphans. Both of you are one of the many clones, created for the purpose of having your organs harvested and transplanted to needy people. Dr Kim Seokjin, Dr Kim’s father and my father are researchers in this project. Therefore Jungkookie will receive a heart from a clone before he turns 20.”

 

Jimin remained silent as he was unable to refute what Junghyun had said. However, it was his first time hearing that Jungkook’s father is part of the research team. This probably explained why Jungkook could get access to something as valuable as a heart.

 

Seeing Jimin keeping silent, Junghyun pressed on, “If the clone gives up his heart, he will die. However there is one way to avoid certain death – that is to get the recipient of the clone’s heart to waive his rights to the clone’s heart.”

 

“If my guess is any correct, the clone…the donor of Jungkook’s heart…” Junghyun paused to catch his breath before he continued. “Is you, Jimin-ssi.”

 

“I’m not the clone,” Jimin blurted as his gaze shifted uncomfortably.

 

“Don’t lie to me Jimin-ssi. I’m not stupid,” Junghyun chastised. “You want to live Jimin-ssi. And you have the right to want that. Therefore with some twisted logic that you have, you have a nefarious plan for Jungkookie to like you, no, fall in love with you. You plan to make use of his love for you to make him give up his rights to your heart. How sick and cruel is that! You’re making use of the feelings and love of an innocent, defenceless boy who is lonely, sad and afraid, and has never been in love in order to obtain what you want.”

 

“I know I have no right to lecture you Jimin-ssi, because you are desperate, and you want to live. I might do the same if I were in your shoes. But as Jungkook’s brother, I can’t watch idly and see his feelings get hurt. Do you know how difficult is it for him? He can’t do so many things due to his illness. He can’t do sports or any strenuous activities. He feels inferior. Because he feels inferior, he doesn’t have many friends. He shuts himself in. He has dreams to be a singer, but he can’t have those dreams, because he knows he might die anytime…can you imagine that kind of life Jimin-ssi?”

 

“And now when he thinks he has finally found a person whom he thinks cares for him, and whom he likes, this person wants him to give up his life in order for this person to live,” Junghyun laughed bitterly. “Congratulations Jimin-ssi, you’ve succeeded. Jungkookie loves you.”

 

Jimin remained speechless. He thought he would be happy hearing that Jungkook loves him because it meant that his plan has succeeded, but he was not happy one bit. He knew he had preyed on the younger’s vulnerability to get what he wanted.

 

“Tell me Jimin-ssi, have you ever been sincere and real towards Jungkookie? Do you like him?”

 

“I really care for Jungkookie. I like him. I really do,” Jimin replied in a small voice.

 

“Will you tell him the truth?”

 

“I…I…” Jimin stuttered.

 

“I didn’t think you would,” Junghyun snorted.

 

“I’m sorry,” Jimin said meekly.

 

“I’m going to speak to Jungkookie…”

 

“Please don’t…” Jimin hastily pleaded.

 

“Why? Are you afraid that your plans will be ruined as a result?” Junghyun mocked.

 

“I…I…”

 

“You’re selfish,” Junghyun pointed out.

 

“But don’t worry Jimin-ssi, I won’t let you die. Jungkook won’t let you die. I’ll get him to sign the waiver. I believe in my brother. He’s a pure and kind boy. He wouldn’t want a living, breathing human to sacrifice his life for him. I won’t tell him that the donor is you.”

 

“I don’t…know…what to say…” Jimin bowed in head.

 

“I’m not doing it for your sake Jimin-ssi. I don’t know why I’m doing this because this is so wrong. I’ll rather keep up the charade and lie to my brother in order for him not to get hurt. Because the pain of being betrayed by someone you love is worse than death itself.”

 

“I really want to ask you to stay away from Jungkookie from now on, but if you do that all of a sudden, that will hurt him as it seems as though you are rejecting him. Just continue to act normal with him, and slowly reduce your contact with him In the meantime, please don’t give him any more false hope.”

 

“I…I…” Jimin tried to organise his thoughts and come up with an answer, but he could not.

 

“Even if you love him, you know it’s not possible,” Junghyun pointed out.

 

Jimin continued to remain silent.

 

“I guess we’ve come to an understanding Jimin-ssi,” Junghyun forced a smile.

 

Jimin could only nod in response.

 

Satisfied with Jimin’s response, Junghyun stood up, bowed and took his leave.

 

“This is probably the best outcome,” Jimin thought to himself. “I should slowly let go of Jungkookie.”  

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sorry for taking so long to update this. I'm just begun my Practical Legal Training. It's a full time online course which has small tasks and assignments due almost every week. And I'm starting the practical work in about a week's time. I'm doing 4 days a week, so writing might be a bit difficult in the next few months. I really wanted to complete this story by December but I don't think this seems possible now. But I kind of have an idea on how to continue with this. I have so many ideas for stories but not enough time and discipline to do all. I will try to post an update around end November. I really want to update my Meanie fic Finding Eden too.

 

Meanwhile, I hope you enjoyed this chapter - the interactions between Jungkook and Junghyun. And Junghyun's confrontation with Jimin and Jin. Do you think Jungkook will find out soon? Can this secret be kept from Jungkook forever? Will Junghyun be able to proceed according to his plan?

 

Meanwhile, please continue to leave me your comments. And if you have yet to subscribe to this story, please do so.

 

Please also check out my one-shot with two SF9 members (Hwiyoung x Taeyang) as the protagonists. Please support Read My Fortune.