I like you. Do you like me?

That year, the Sun Shines

After Jungkook rested for a few days at home after returning from the camping trip, he fully recovered from his fever.

 

“Jungkookie, are you going out?” Junghyun who was lazing about in the living room called out to the younger when he noticed the boy all dressed up and about to head out.

 

“Ne, hyung. I won’t be coming for dinner tonight,” the younger shouted out as he put on his favourite Timberlands.

 

Junghyun rose from the sofa and headed towards Jungkook. “Are you going out with Jimin-ssi?”

 

“Ne, hyung.”

 

“I’m glad you’re making more friends. I like Jimin-ssi. He seems like a caring person. In fact, I will approve if both of you date…” Junghyun teased.

 

“Hyung…” Jungkook protested.

 

“I think Jimin-ssi is into you,” Junghyun continued his teasing. “After all, who wouldn’t be? My baby brother is tall, cute, handsome and nice all rolled into a perfect package…”

 

“But who suffers from a heart disease…” Jungkook added dryly.

 

“Hey, don’t let that stop you from dating,” Junghyun stated.

 

“I don’t know,” Jungkook fiddled with the hem of this t-shirt.

 

“Do you like Jimin-ssi?” Junghyun asked gently.

 

There was a blush creeping up on Jungkook’s cheek which Junghyun noticed.

 

“You do…” Junghyun said in a sing-song tone, and he broke out into a laugh.

 

“Hyung…!” Jungkook was embarrassed, and he wanted the ground to open up and swallow him.

 

Junghyun grinned. “My baby brother is growing up. He likes someone.”

 

“Hyung…?”

 

Junghyun nodded.

 

“Is it okay to like someone…I mean…is it okay for me to like a guy…to like Jimin-hyung?”

 

Junghyun nodded and ruffled Jungkook’s hair causing the younger to scowl at the older for messing his hair. “It is okay Jungkookie. If your heart tells you that you like Jimin-ssi, there is nothing wrong with it. And I’m sure Jimin-ssi will be happy to know that you like him.”

 

“Does it mean I have to tell him?”

 

Junghyun nodded. “I’m sure you can do it.”

 

Jungkook groaned and Junghyun laughed. Junghyun knows his brother is a little shy.

 

“Well, I’m not asking you to tell him right away,” Junghyun said. “Do that at your own time and own pace,” Junghyun encouraged. “Anyway, you better get going. You don’t want to Jimin-ssi to wait too long for you.”

 

……

 

Jimin was early as usual and he beamed brightly as he spotted Jungkook approaching him.

 

“Jungkookie…”

 

Jungkook felt his heart skip a beat when he heard Jimin’s melodious voice call his name. His lips curved into a smile.

 

“Jiminie…”

 

“Aish you brat! You still won’t call me hyung, will you?” Jimin sounded annoyed but it was more of pretence more than anything else. There was still a wide smile on his face, one which Jungkook has grown to like.

 

“I think Jiminie sounds cuter. Besides you are shorter than me and you seem too squishy that the notion of hyung doesn’t quite fit with you.”

 

Jimin pouted. “Ya! I’m just a few centimetres shorter than you.”

 

Jungkook only pat Jimin on his head to reemphasise the height difference between both of them.

 

Jimin sighed as Jungkook laughed. Jungkook realises he enjoys teasing his short hyung, and seeing Jimin pretending to get exasperated and annoyed.

 

“Seeing you acting all bratty like this, it looks like you have recovered fully from your fever,” Jimin remarked.

 

“Thanks so much Jiminie-hyung.”

 

Jimin stared at Jungkook as he heard Jungkook address him as hyung.

 

“I know that you were really worried about me and took good care of me that night. Thank you.”

 

“Oh…” Jimin was surprised by Jungkook’s words.

 

“Come on, let’s go enjoy ourselves. It’s my treat today,” Jungkook grabbed Jimin by his hand and dragged the older off.

 

……

 

Junghyun remained at home the entire day, lazing about and amusing himself with playing computer games, watching online videos, and reading. Soon it was evening time and Junghyun was about to order some takeout when his father and mum returned home together. He was surprised since they rarely got home early from work.

 

“Appa…umma…” he greeted them in surprise.   

 

“Hi, Hyun…why are you at home? We were expecting you to go out…” Mrs Jeon remarked.

 

“It’s one of the days where I prefer to laze in the comfort of my own home.”

 

Mrs Jeon nodded. “Where’s Jungkookie?”

 

“He went out with a friend…”

 

“With Park Jimin-ssi?” Mrs Jeon asked.

 

“So umma knows about Jimin-ssi?”

 

“Yes. I met him once. Jungkookie also informs me that he goes out with Park Jimin-ssi quite often. This Park Jimin seems like a nice and polite guy. Did he accompany you on the camping trip?”

 

“He did. He was really worried when Jungkookie got a fever. He took really good care of our Jungkookie the entire night,” Junghyun replied.

 

“I’m glad our Jungkookie is able to meet new friends,” Mrs Jeon smiled. “It’s because of his condition that he misses out a lot of things which normal healthy teenagers do.”

 

She sighed. “Hopefully he will get better soon.”

 

Junghyun stared at his parents in surprise. “You mean, Jungkookie has a chance of getting better?”

 

Mr and Mrs Jeon exchanged knowing glances with one another before Mr Jeon spoke.

 

“Junghyun-ah, we have been keeping a secret from you and Jungkookie. You are probably mature enough that we can let you into this secret, but you have to promise us that you keep it from Jungkookie. Do we have your word for it?” Mr Jeon asked solemnly.

 

“I promise,” Junghyun replied solemnly.

 

“Do you know what I do?” Mr Jeon asked.

 

There was a quizzical look on Junghyun’s face as he responded, “Aren’t you a research scientist in biotechnology and a professor?”

 

“That’s not what I do entirely…” Mr Jeon continued.

 

“Woah…appa…don’t tell me you’re a spy or something?” Junghyun exclaimed.

 

Mr Jeon laughed heartily. “Sorry to disappoint you, but I’m not. I’m still an old boring research scientist. Except that I specialise more in human genetics rather than biotechnology.” 

 

“That’s so cool, appa!”

 

“It’s a lot of hard work.”

 

“I’m going to let you in on a secret. But you must promise not to breathe a word to Jungkookie,” Mr Jeon said. “This relates to Jungkook’s health.”

 

“Okay, appa.”

 

“I’m one of the scientists who worked on human cloning.”

 

“What? You mean…human cloning is true…?” Junghyun exclaimed.

 

“We’ve been successful. We’ve successfully cloned humans. It’s difficult to go into the technical details of the process. But our project which began some 20 years ago has been a success. We’ve made a number of clones now. They were mostly cloned so that we could harvest their organs for sickly children and teenagers,” Mr Jeon explained.

 

Junghyun gazed at Mr Jeon. His mind was in a whirl and he was trying to process the information he had just received. 

 

“Does this mean there is a clone who is giving up his or her heart to Jungkookie?” Junghyun asked gingerly.

 

Mr Jeon nodded. “That’s right. Jungkookie will have the operation within a year. He has to have the heart transplant operation soon as he is unlikely to survive past 20.”

 

“Appa…I know this sounds great…and Jungkookie…but the clone is a living being…the clone is a human being…is he not?”

 

“The clone is a living thing…”

 

Junghyun gasped. “Appa! We’re talking about a life here…if the clone donates his heart to Jungkookie, the clone will die! How could you do such a thing?”

 

“They’re not human beings. They came into existence through science and technology. They were conceived artificially through the intervention of human beings,” Mr Jeon explained. “Besides, being a living thing doesn’t make them human. Otherwise animals and plants are human beings too.”

 

“Appa, but that’s so wrong.” Junghyun reasoned.

 

“It’s not. This is the future. We can grow clones, harvest their organs for the human population who need them. This is all part and progress of science…and that’s the only way for our Jungkookie to live…for other humans to live…with all the lack of organs and hearts…” Mr Jeon defended.

 

“Appa, this is all so twisted. You and your colleagues are playing God,” Junghyun spat.

 

“We’re just doing what we should do to contribute to the wellbeing of the human race,” Mr Jeon said stubbornly. 

 

“Appa, tell me, are they human just like you and me…do they behave just like you me? Do they have feelings?”

 

“Yes, you won’t be able to tell if a clone is walking in the streets. Their cognitive ability is just as good as us. They behave just like you and me. They have the senses like we do. They feel what we feel…but they are not us…because they don’t have ID…” Mr Jeon said.

 

“Then they are human…like us…how could you treat them as commodities?”

 

“They’re not cheap. They are provided with the best care and environment,” Mrs Jeon interjected. “Why do you think we have to work so hard? Because it’s not cheap to raise a clone. And we’re lucky to get a clone to donate his heart to Jungkookie because of the work your appa does. Many people don’t even get this chance.” 

 

Junghyun slumped in his seat. He was aghast at what his mum said.

 

“I know this comes as shock to you Junghyun. Believe me, if I had any other way to help keep Jungkookie alive, I would do it. I love Jungkookie. He’s my son…” Mr Jeon sighed.

 

“I understand, appa…”

 

“Please don’t tell Jungkookie about this. Jungkookie is a kind and considerate child. If he knows about this, he wouldn’t want to go through with the transplant…and he will die…” Mrs Jeon implored to Junghyun.

 

“Why…? Jungkookie deserves to know…we’re talking about another human life…this is almost like murder…” Junghyun demanded. His voice was trembling with shock and horror.

 

“Because if Jungkookie finds out, Jungkookie can sign a form or put it down on writing that he doesn’t want the clone to donate his heart to Jungkookie…in other words Jungkookie can reject the clone’s heart…if that is the case, the clone will live…and Jungkookie will have forfeited his chance of a heart transplant,” Mr Jeon explained.

 

“Hyun-ah, umma is begging you. Don’t say a word to Jungkookie okay? Even if this is wrong…or selfish…or murder…or taking another life…we want our Jungkookie to survive…he’s our son…and he’s your brother…we love him…and I know you love him…and you want him to live…right? He has had such a sad childhood…he can’t do many things…I know he wants to be an artiste…to sing and dance…but because of his condition…he can’t do that…and as much as I want to spend time with him…I have to work in order…to support…this thing…” Mrs Jeon broke down in tears.

 

Mr Jeon shot Junghyun a pleading look requesting Junghyun to acquiesce to their request. Junghyun sighed and nodded his head to the relief of his parents.

 

This is one of those times when Junghyun felt overburden by the knowledge he has and the secret he has to keep. He was so engrossed in his thoughts that he lost track of his parents’ conversation until he heard a familiar name jolted him out of his thoughts.

 

“Taehyung.”

 

“Appa, what did you just say?”

 

“I was talking about Jungkookie’s doctor, Dr Kim Seokjin…”

 

“That’s not that…I heard Tae-something…” Junghyun probed.

 

“Oh, Taehyung...”

 

Junghyun glanced at his dad expectantly – as though he was asking him to continue with what he way saying.

 

“Dr Kim’s dad is one of the leading researchers in genetics and cloning. Unfortunately his youngest son Taehyung died at a young age. So he took Taehyung’s DNA to clone him. Basically the clones live together at a residence known to them as an orphanage. It is overseen by Dr Kim’s dad and some other doctors. Dr Kim Seokjin has been volunteering at the orphanage since he was a teenager. He is also one of the doctors in charge of the orphanage. Strangely enough, he is only doing this because of his dad. He is against this human cloning thing. He thinks it is unethical and men shouldn’t play gods…” Mr Jeon grumbled.

 

“So his deceased younger brother is Taehyung…and his dad cloned his dead son…” Junghyun said.

 

This name sounded familiar to Junghyun.

 

“His dad even named the clone after his dead son. No wonder Dr Kim Seokjin is mad at Dr Kim,” Mr Jeon continued. 

 

Junghyun was furiously thinking. Where did he hear the name before? Wait, it couldn’t be, could it? It can’t be a coincidence. Junghyun shuddered at his realisation. But there are so many people with the name Kim Taehyung. If Kim Taehyung is a clone, and if he had grown up together with Park Jimin, wouldn’t Park Jimin be a clone too?

 

Don’t tell me…Park Jimin is Jungkookie’s heart donor? The uncanny coincidence is a bit of a stretch isn’t it? Does Park Jimin have any ulterior motive being so nice to Jungkookie? Does he have any bad intentions? I’m jumping to conclusions. Maybe I should ask Jungkookie more before coming to a conclusion.

 

……

 

“You don’t have to walk me any further, Jiminie,” Jungkook said.

 

“But I want to,” Jimin pouted. Jimin sounded insistent. “What if something happens to you?”

 

“I’m fine. It’s near my home. You don’t have to baby me all the time,” Jungkook said. “But I appreciate it.”

 

The two boys had a good time out – doing normal things teenage boys do. They had lunch before deciding on an action movie on Jungkook’s suggestion. They went to a games arcade, did a bit of window shopping, trying on clothes. They sat down for a nice dinner of fried chicken again on Jungkook’s insistence despite Jimin protesting that fried chicken are bad for Jungkook’s health, but Jungkook reassured him that it will be fine – having fried chicken once in a while will not kill him, and he will eat in moderation. At least Jungkook kept to his word much to Jimin’s relief. They took a walk after dinner to enjoy the night lights of Seoul before Jungkook told Jimin he felt a little tired and wanted to return home to rest. And Jimin being ever so concerned over Jungkook, decided to see him home as usual.

 

It was a bright night. The moonlight was casting its beams on the two boys as they stopped in their tracks. It was Jungkook who stopped first causing Jimin to follow.

 

“Jiminie-hyung…”

 

“Ne?” Jimin was a surprised at a polite and very docile sounding Jungkook. Jungkook didn’t address him as ‘Jiminie’ and added an endearing name for Jimin, and he called Jimin hyung. Jimin could not help but wonder what Jungkook was up to.

 

“I know that I’ve already thanked you this afternoon for taking care of me when I had gotten sick during the camp…but…I still can’t thank you enough…” Jungkook muttered.

 

Jimin smiled and patted Jungkook, “You thanked me enough, Jungkookie.”

 

“No, I haven’t…” Jungkook insisted stubbornly. Jungkook sounded a little frustrated. He could feel tears b in his eyes. “Aish, why is this so hard?”

 

“What do you mean?” Jimin’s curiosity was now piqued.

 

“You’ve always been caring for me since the first time we’ve met…sending me home…taking me out…teaching me how to dance…taking me to X’s concert…I know you care for me very much…” Jungkook continued softly.

 

“That’s nothing…” Jimin said. “You don’t have to thank me for that…”

 

“Is it really nothing Jiminie hyung?” Jungkook gazed longingly into Jimin’s eyes.

 

Jimin wanted to avert Jungkook’s gaze but he was entranced by Jungkook that he could only lock his gaze with Jungkook.

 

“Is it really nothing Jiminie hyung?” Jungkook repeated.

 

“I…I…” Jimin faltered. He did not know how to answer Jungkook. Jimin was confused himself. He wasn’t supposed to feel anything for Jungkook. All the things Jimin did were just to win Jungkook’s trust, favour and subsequently, love. Everything was calculated and set up, even their first meeting. Jimin wondered where Jungkook was taking his question to.

 

“Is it really nothing Jiminie hyung?” Jungkook repeated his question again. There was a tinge of disappointment and desperation in his voice.

 

“Because I don’t think your actions mean nothing at all hyung. Do you like me Jiminie-hyung?” Jungkook’s voice was trembling with emotion when he finally asked the question.

 

Jimin could only gape at Jungkook’s question.

 

“Do you like me Jiminie-hyung? And I don’t mean as a dongsaeng or some little puppy or some friend, or some poor kid you take pity on just because he’s sick and dying. Do you see me as someone special?”

 

Jungkook was gazing intently at Jimin.

 

“Do you remember when I said that you make me happy? Do you remember that I said you make me feel alive? Do you remember me telling you that I want to be with you for a very long time?” Jungkook asked in an impassioned tone.

 

Jimin nodded dumbly.

 

“Because I really mean what I said. You make me very happy Jiminie-hyung. Do you like me Jiminie-hyung? Or is this just a figment of my imagination? Or is this just one-sided on my part? Because I like you so much Jiminie hyung,” Jungkook declared ardently.

 

And Jungkook brought his face closer to Jimin’s. As he inched closer to Jimin’s face, he mustered all his courage, closed his eyes, and planted a kiss on Jimin’s lips.   

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So Junghyun knows. Will he tell Jungkook? Will Jungkook find out about Jimin’s identity soon enough?

 

So Jungkook is now aware of his feelings for Jimin. He even confessed to Jimin. So you like a direct and straightforward Jungkook who takes the initiative?

 

Meanwhile, please continue to leave me your comments. And if you have yet to subscribe to this story, please do so.

 

The next update will take a while. Hopefully not 2 to 3 months. There might be some changes and upheaval in my life.

 

Please also check out my one-shot with two SF9 members (Hwiyoung x Taeyang) as the protagonists. Please support Read My Fortune.