Dinner

That year, the Sun Shines

It took Jungkook and Jimin a while before they settled down for dinner. Most restaurants were swarming with people as it was a Saturday evening. Both boys were famished when the meat was finally served. Jimin busied himself with grilling the meats and putting food on Jungkook’s plate. 

 

“Jimin-hyung…there’s so much food on my plate. Please eat something too.”

 

Jimin nodded. As they continued with their dinner, Jungkook pondered whether it was a good time to ask Jimin about Jimin’s relationship with Taehyung.

 

“Jimin-hyung…”

 

“Ne…Jungkookie…do you want some more meat?” Jimin reached for the tongs to prepare to grill more meat. Jimin knew something was up when Jungkook addressed him as hyung.

 

“I’m fine. Could I um…ask you something?” Jungkook hesitated. His voice quivered a little.

 

“Sure, Jungkookie,” Jimin gave Jungkook a reassuring smile.

 

“Are you um…close to um…V-hyung?”

 

“We are inseparable. We grew up together in the orphanage. He has been my childhood friend and playmate. He’s my bestie.”

 

“Do you…um…um…like V-hyung?”

 

“That’s asking the obvious,” Jimin laughed.

 

Jungkook wasn’t amused. There was a frown on Jungkook’s face and Jimin caught on to that.

 

“I’m not saying that your question is stupid. I like him. We’re always there for one another. We don’t keep secrets from one another. He’s my soulmate. I’ll do anything for him.”

 

“Do you like V-hyung that much?” Jungkook squeaked.

 

“Of course! More than anything and anyone else in this world!”

 

“Is he your boyfriend then?” Jungkook asked.

 

“Boy…boy…friend?” Jimin’s orbs widened. He took a while to recover from the shock of Jungkook’s sudden question before he burst into laughter. “Are you asking me if Taetae is my boyfriend?”

 

Jungkook nodded.

 

“I love Taetae and he loves me. But not in a million years will both of us head down that route with one another. Our love is not the romantic sort…”

 

“But both of you are so close and touchy-feely with one another…you seem…um…gay for one another…”

 

“I know right. But that’s out of affection for another not out of…um…you get the picture…gosh…we need to stop getting touchy-feely with one another…this might cause unnecessary misunderstandings…” Jimin was feeling a little embarrassed.

 

Jungkook blushed for a moment before his face brightened a little.

 

“Why did you ask me about Taetae? Do you like him?”

 

“No…yes…no…I mean…he seems like a nice hyung…” Jungkook explained.

 

“What about me? Am I a nice hyung? Do you like me?” Jimin teased.

 

“Could I have more meat please?” Jungkook quickly changed the subject.

 

“Not until you answer my question.”

 

“Fine, I’ll grill the meat myself,” Jungkook huffed as he reached for the tongs only for Jimin to stealthily grab the tongs.

 

“Ya! Park Jimin!” Jungkook exclaimed and glared at Jimin. “I’m paying for this meal.”

 

“You have yet to answer my question. So does Jeon Jungkookie like Park Jimin?” Jimin teased in a sing-song manner.

 

“You’re…a nice…hyung…” Jungkook stuttered.

 

“You like me as a hyung…?”

 

“Of course…”

 

“I really doubt it…since you don’t address me as hyung…” Jimin paused for a few moments. “Only as a hyung…? Or do you see me as man…?”

 

“I’m not legal to fall in love. And you’re not much older than me. You’re not much of a man…you’re still a boy…”

 

“You don’t have to be of legal age to fall in love…and you get what I mean when I say man…”

 

“Well, I answered your first question. So can I get more meat please, Jimin-hyung? You’re the hyung whom I like most.”

 

“What about your real hyung or Hoseok-hyung?”

 

“You’re third in place then…”

 

“Aww. You mean I’m below Hoseok-hyung? And to think you’re my favourite dongsaeng.” Jimin pouted which Jungkook found adorable. “No way, I want to be your number one hyung.”

 

“Then you would have to work hard at that…first by feeding me,” Jungkook winked. He then muttered, “And you have to work hard if you want me to see you as a man too.”

 

“What did you say Jungkookie?” Jimin asked. He kind of heard some utterances from Jungkookie about working hard and man.

 

“Nothing,” Jungkook shrugged.

 

Jimin laughed and continued to grill more meats for their dinner. He did not want to tease Jungkook and make him more awkward.

 

“Jimin-hyung?”

 

“More meat for you?”

 

“I just wanted to say you dance pretty well.”

 

“Thanks for the compliment Jungkookie.”

 

“Do you want to be a dancer?” Jungkook asked.

 

“I never thought about it. But hey, Hoseok hyung suggested that I teach dance. That’s a pretty good idea.”

 

“What is your dream hyung?”

 

Jimin hummed. His dream? He has no dreams now. He can’t dream – not when his life was hanging on a fine thread. Right now, he has to get Jungkook to fall in love with him, not agree to the heart transplant. His dream now is to be able to live, to be able to dream of a future. And there are all the problems of being a clone. “I’ve not thought about it yet. I’m taking my time to decide. Probably, enrol in an university. What about you Jungkookie? What is your dream?”

 

Jungkook hesitated.

 

“Don’t be shy. You can tell me. Let me guess, you want to be an artiste.”

 

Jungkook’s orbs lit up at Jimin’s words.

 

“Did I get it right? Since you’re studying at a performing arts school, I figure that’s your dream.”

 

“But…but…I don’t think I will ever get a chance.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Because I don’t know if I can live. My current condition doesn’t allow me to do strenuous physical activities. I can’t play sports…I can’t dance…I can’t run…” Jungkook lamented. “What’s the point of having a dream when I know I might not make it past the next day? Heck, my previous doctor said I probably wouldn’t make it past my 21st or 22nd birthday. That’s already the best case scenario and if I am lucky enough. Sometimes, I just want to give up on my dream and on my life. What is there for me to live for? There is just no hope in my life. Why do I want I try so hard? What is there to fight for? I might as well stay at home, not do anything and wait for my heart to fail.”

 

Jimin felt his heart break for the boy in front of him. “Do you want to stand on stage and perform that much?”

 

“I would like to. I have sung in front of people before. Jin-hyung said I could always do ballads…but I want to dance…I want to be an all rounded artiste…I want to feel the flow of my body movements…the tapping of my feet…the frenetic footwork…I wish I could dance like you…”

 

Jimin nodded. “Do you want to dance Jungkookie?”

 

“Yes…I asked Jin-hyung about it…but…he advised me not to…He’s my doctor after all…”

 

“I could talk to Jin-hyung about it…” Jimin offered.

 

“You would?” Jungkook asked hopefully. His face lit up again only to become crestfallen a few moments later. “But he’s the doctor…”

 

“You’re right…he’s the professional…but we could talk to Jin-hyung on your next visit. I’ll go with you. We could work out some dance moves that you could do without putting a strain on your body…we could do something like that you did earlier today. I don’t think that would put a severe strain on your heart. We’ll take precaution if we have to. But I think you have the potential to dance…you know a few moves here and there…”

 

“You think so...?” Jungkook looked hopefully at Jimin.

 

“I do. You just need some practice and effort…I practise a hell of a lot. That’s why my dancing is better than Taetae. He isn’t into dancing and he half- things. He dances because I force him to.”

 

Jungkook laughed.

 

“Besides you did pretty well today for a beginner,” Jimin continued. “We’ll work something out. But we have to listen to Jin-hyung too.”

 

……

 

They finished their dinner a few minutes after nine. The night was still young for a Saturday. But for the two boys who had been out since morning, fatigue and weariness had begun to set in though there are many places to go if they want to stay out late.

 

“So Jungkookie, what do you want to do next?”

 

Jungkook shrugged. “What about you?”

 

“Maybe dessert…but I’m still full from the meal.”

 

“Me too.”

 

“Should we just head home then? After all, we’ve been out since morning,” Jimin suggested. As much as he did not want the evening and ‘date’ to end, Jimin must admit that he was feeling quite tired himself having exerted quite a bit of energy in the morning. And if he was feeling tired, wouldn’t it be more tiring for Jungkook? He should be considerate for Jungkook.

 

Jungkook nodded. And as much as Jungkook did not want the evening to end so early – he did not mind spending another half an hour or hour just hanging outside, browsing the shops, or sharing a dessert with Jimin. However Jungkook knows that Jimin would want to send him home, and then make his way back to his own home. He could always turn down Jimin’s offer, but the older boy would find an excuse to send Jungkook home. Jungkook wasn’t sure where Jimin lived. What if he lives somewhere far and requires more than an hour to return home? Jimin will be tired too. He was after all dancing and teaching dance this morning. So they decided to call in an early night.

 

They boarded a cab. They didn’t talk much and like the previous time, Jungkook once again dozed off on Jimin’s shoulder.

 

……

 

“Mianhae, Jimin-hyung.”

 

They were standing outside Jungkook’s home.

 

“Why are you apologising?”

 

“For always using your shoulder as my pillow. It must have been uncomfortable for you,” he apologised sheepishly.

 

“I’m alright.”

 

“Gomawo, hyung.”

 

“Jungkookie…?”

 

“Ne?”

 

“Are you free next Saturday?”

 

“I think so…”

 

“Would you like to go out? I know you have homework and all that…we could meet in the late afternoon or something. And you would be able to have a good rest before you go out…and you won’t feel so tired,” Jimin blabbered.

 

“Sure, I would like that. It’s a date…I mean…not date…in that sense…you know…but a date…” Jungkook tripped and stuttered over his words.

 

“See you then, Jungkookie,” Jimin took a step forward and embraced Jungkook. Jungkook did not shrink back and wrapped his arms round Jimin too. They stood like that for a couple of seconds before Jungkook broke from the embrace.

 

“Goodnight Jimin-hyung. Give me a text to let me know you’ve returned home safely.”

 

“Goodnight Jungkookie. Have a good night’s rest.”

 

Jungkook nodded, turned and entered his house as Jimin watched on.

 

………

 

Jungkook had showered and changed into his sleeping clothes. He was just lying on his bed waiting for sleep to overpower him. His precious sketch book was next to him. He decided to flick through the pages. He stopped at the page which was a drawing of Jimin carrying a kid from earlier in the morning. He smiled at the drawing. Jimin and the kid look very happy. There is a childlike charm and quality about Jimin in the way he interacts with the children. At the same time, Jimin was dazzling. The way he danced.  Jungkook closed his eyes. He could still picture the image of Jimin dancing. He was tempted to sketch out the scene but the drowsiness was slowly kicking in. He’ll work on the sketch tomorrow.

 

His handphone vibrated. It was a message from Jimin informing Jungkook that he had arrived home and wished Jungkook a good night.

 

He really did take about an hour to get home. He must live pretty far away. How inconvenient it must have been for him just to see me home, Jungkook thought as he texted Jimin goodnight.  

 

Jungkook scrolled to the earlier message left by Hoseok.

 

“Kookie, V and I are not going to catch the movie with you and Jimin. We are going to watch another film instead. You know I prefer comedies.”

 

“And I noticed how left out you felt earlier since I was bugging Jimin completely. As my apology to you, you can have Jimin all to yourself right now. V and I won’t get in your way. Enjoy your date with Jimin.”

 

“And don’t deny that you don’t like Jimin. I can feel it. And I think Jimin likes you too. He seems to be a nice and caring guy. I trust him. You’re old enough to date. I approve of both of you dating.”

 

“And it doesn’t matter if he’s a guy or what, liking and loving someone knows no boundaries. So give him a chance.”

 

“Because if you don’t, I’m going to take Jimin from you. KeKeKe.”

 

Jungkook smiled dumbly at Hoseok’s messages.  

 

Jungkook could remember Jimin holding his hand in the cinema hall much earlier. He was aware what Jimin was doing. Jungkook just chose to remain stoic.

 

And he was definitely relieved when Jimin said he could never regard Taehyung as boyfriend material.

 

He was happy when Jimin asked him if he viewed Jimin as a man.

 

Does he love Jimin? Jungkook wasn’t sure. He doesn’t even know what love is. But one thing Jungkook was certain of, or at least he has just grappled with – he likes Park Jimin being in his life.

 

He thinks he likes Park Jimin. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, here's my Christmas and New Year's present to all my readers and subscribers out there. Hope you guys enjoyed this chapter. It seems Jungkook is really warming up to Jimin. The next chapter will be updated after New Year...most likely after I've returned to Australia. Next chapter will be on VHope. 

So here's wishing all a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays as well as a Happy New Year/Happy 2016. 

Please continue to shower me with your comments. Thanks to all who have commented and subscribed to this story. If you have to subscribe to this story, please do so. 

Also please check out my Meanie (Seventeen Mingyu + Wonwoo) fanfiction - Finding Eden

If you have not read my completed stories, do check out Heaven's Boys and Kyumin: 60 days for an emotional read during the holidays. 

See you guys in 2016~