Jeon Jungkook Part I

That year, the Sun Shines

The alarm shattered the calm and stillness of the room – except for breathing of the boy who still covered under the sheets. As the alarm continued to persist, the said boy tossed about in bed and kicked his sheets. Finally, he strained to open his eyes. Through his bleary vision, he searched for the culprit of the noise – his mobile phone that was on the bedside table – and turned the alarm off. Heaving out a sigh, he d about in the dark and attached the charger to the power socket and to his mobile phone. Satisfied, he flung his sheets, dragged himself out of bed to the shower to wash up.

It’s Friday. It’s the end of the school week. You should be happy. You should be grateful. Jungkook attempted to convince himself. He tried to force a smile, but his lips fells fell, and his reflection was just blank and expressionless.

It’s another day, one more day than what you deserve.

He changed into his uniform, tucking his crisp white shirt into his navy blue pants. He reached for his yellow blazer and let his fingers trail over the soft fabric pausing for a while on his emblazoned name and school badge. He made it to the arts school he had always wanted. He was able to study music and performing arts…he is one step closer to fulfilling his times…but will time be on his side?

He slipped on his blazer, put on his socks, slipped into his slippers and traipsed downstairs. Mrs Jeon was pottering about the kitchen and dining area, busy laying out breakfast. She stopped when she noticed her son and greeted him brightly, “Good morning Jungkookie!” She slid to his side and ruffled the back of his hair, making him recoil from the affection. Jungkook wasn’t one to pander for physical affection – he felt uneasy with too physical affection.

“Come on Jungkookie, sit down and have your breakfast,” she smiled kindly at him.

“Where’s appa?”

“He had left really early for work,” she replied as she scooped for her son, as he muttered a silent thank you and ‘I will eat well’.

Mr Jeon was a researcher of sorts. That was all that Jungkook knows about his dad’s profession. His mum ran her own business and it was quite successful. No matter how busy and tired she was, she would always insist on waking up early to cook breakfast for Jungkook. He had an older brother who was studying in America. Their family was pretty well-off and comfortable.

“I’ll fetch you to school today,” Mrs Jeon said. “But you will have to make your own way to the doctor after school. I’m sorry I can’t take you to Doctor Kim”

She reached for a purse and pulled out a few bills and put these into Jungkook’s hands. “Take some extra money with you and take a cab to the doctor’s school.”

“Umma, I have enough money.”

“Just keep it as spare cash. It might come in handy. You might need it. Or buy yourself a good meal or something. Do you have enough money for the medicines? Do you need extra?” she rattled on. She opened her purse and was prepared to fish out more bills before Jungkook stopped her.

“Umma, I have enough. You had given me the money last night.”

“Alright. I just want to make sure…”

“I’m fine umma,” Jungkook forced a smile to reassure Mrs Jeon that everything was fine.

“I’ll pick you up from Doctor Kim’s at 5.30.”

Jungkook nodded.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The car ride to school was smooth. Jungkook glanced out of the window and he took in the familiar scenery. Nothing extraordinary caught his attention. He felt his eyelids becoming heavy. Jungkook wanted to stay awake, but there was nothing much he could do anyway. He finally caved in and decided to get some shut-eye until he reached his destination.

“Jungkookie,” his mother cooed, “we’ve arrived.”

“Umm…” Jungkook responded and he tried his best to stifle a yawn. “Ne, umma. Thanks for the ride.”

“You better get going. Study hard,” she smiled.

Jungkook nodded.

As he stepped out of the car, a sudden gust of wind gripped him. He shuddered and tucked his blazer closer to his lean frame. He stuffed his hands into his pants pockets as he grumbled at himself for not wearing a cardigan. The weather was rather finicky. The biting winter had passed, and the first days of spring had long begun, so what was with this sudden chill?    

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jungkook was not a loner. At the same time, he was very much alone. He had friends whom he would hang out, had meals, discussed assignments with in school, but he rarely opened himself up to them. The topics they discussed were school-related and rather superficial. Their knowledge of Jungkook was scant. But Jungkook didn’t mind one bit. He was rather reticent and stoic and didn’t like to open his heart or feeling to others.  

Fridays seem to pass pretty slowly. Apart from the performing art subjects, Jungkook had to study science, mathematics, language and literature as they were still part of the curriculum. It was the fifth period and his classmates were having physical education. He decided to go out into the open than remain in the classroom. He sat at one of the benches overlooking the field where his classmates engage in track and field activities. The sun’s rays kissed his skin. Jungkook felt warm and fuzzy. Feeling bored, he took out his handphone to send a message to his brother in California.

“Hyung, what are you doing? I miss you.”

Jungkook was really close to his older brother, so he felt a gaping hole in his life when his brother left for further studies in the US. He would have followed his brother if he could but his illness…his stupid illness…prevented him from doing so.

“What’s up Jungkookie? You miss me? That’s nice to know. I miss you too. I’ve finished classes. I’m about to head home.  Are you in school right now?”

“I’m bored. The class is having physical education right now.”

“I’ll keep you company if you’re bored,” his brother replied.

“Am I disturbing you?”

“Anything for my cute brother.”

“Is my dongsaeng blushing now?”

“I’m not.”

“But you feel awkward right, Jungkookie?”

“I’m not cute. I don’t like being called cute.”

“You’re handsome. I can’t wait to see you during the summer holidays.”

Jungkook was planning to visit his brother in California at the start of the summer holidays. They would then return to Korea together and travel around the country. Jungkook was looking forward to the time with his brother. He felt really lonely. Life was not as fun without his brother around.

They carried on the conversation for a bit before Jungkook told his brother that he wanted to get some work done. Jungkook strolled back to his classroom, sat down at his desk and took out a small notebook which he always he carried with him. It was a sketch book. Apart from his artistic pursuit of singing, Jungkook likes drawing. It was another form of escape from reality for him. This was his world where he could be free from all inhibitions. He wanted to start on a new series of sketches. It involves six boys from another planet. They have superpowers and they intend to change the world with their powers and music. They come across a lonely high school student who is suffering from a debilitating illness but they accept him into the group. This group will be known as Bulletproof. So far, he sketched out two characters – the high school student and the youngest of the group; and the oldest of the group – a tall male with broad shoulders with flower boy features in a white coat, and possesses healing powers. He started sketching the third character – a male with bright and exaggerated expressions that emits joy and hope. His face was a little elongated.  His superpower – to be able to spread hope to those in darkness. His talents: rap and dance.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Jungkook gazed longingly into the dance studio where a group of students were having their dance classes. This was almost a daily occurrence when he was at school. He would linger outside for a while, replicating the dance moves in his mind. Jungkook just took in the choreography – it was graceful and on point, yet powerful and punchy.

If I want to be an artiste, I have to learn how to dance. Performing on stage was his dream – he wanted to be able to sing and dance – unfortunately he isn’t allowed to do both – he could sing, but dancing would cause him to over exert himself. If walking can be a chore for him at times – imagine what more would dancing do.

It was then that one of his classmates passed him and gave him a pat on his back, as though he was telling Jungkook to cheer up

He trudged away from the dance studio. At least he has been told he is a decent, if not good singer. He has been told he has decent drawing skills. Perhaps he should be contented with the ‘haves’ and not be bitter about the ‘have-nots’. Besides, he’s made it to this prestigious performing arts school – that’s a small achievement of his dream. His parents could have said no, but they loved him and cherished him too much to say no to him; maybe they pitied him and were just indulging him; or maybe they have given up on him and couldn’t care – after all his life hung on a fine thread – there’s no point sending him to a top school, spending all the money on him to mould him into a model student – his brother has fulfilled the model son and student spot.

He glanced at his watch. It was a quarter to four. It was probably time to head on to the doctor’s. He had one hour to his appointment. He shouldn’t be late unless traffic turns out to be a .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fortunately Jungkook arrived at the clinic with some 15 minutes to spare.

“Jungkook-goon, Doctor Kim is currently with a patient. You’ll next,” the assistant informed him.

He nodded and muttered a thank you to the assistant.

Jungkook normally hated going to the clinic or to any doctor’s. But Dr Kim Seokjin or Dr Jin as Jungkook would affectionately address the doctor was another matter. Dr Jin took over his case file about two years ago and he was really happy with the change. Not because Dr Jin was eye-candy – he was certainly handsome and was dripped with gorgeousness with his above than average height, broad shoulders, dashing flower boy looks and with his doctor’s coat. Jungkook had a tiny crush on Dr Jin – that sort of younger-brother looking up to older-brother/idol-worship kind of crush, not those romantic ones. Dr Jin was probably in his early late twenties, and was some sort of a genius to ace medical school to get to the level of specialist. As such he was able to relate better to Jungkook than Jungkook’s previous doctor who was a balding, stern middle-aged man. Dr Jin genuinely showed a care and interest in Jungkook’s well-being. It was like Dr Jin also functioned as part counsellor to Jungkook. The warmth and care that Dr Jin radiated was one of the reasons Jungkook likes him a lot to the extent that he is one of few persons he would open up to.

As Jungkook relaxed in the sofa, he could not help but notice a person sitting just opposite him.

It was a boy. He looked around Jungkook’s age – possibly older. Feeling bored, Jungkook could not help but study the boy. Why is he here? Is he sick too? But he doesn’t look sick. But you don’t look sick too, Jeon Jungkook. But he looks too fit to be sick. He was dressed casually in a plain body-tugging t-shirt that accentuated the contours of a well-toned body, and a pair of tight fitting jeans with a pair of high cut sneakers. He wore a New Era snapback with this hair falling in neat strands, and covering his forehead. He was listening to music and his fingers were tapping to the beat of the music on his thighs while his feet were shuffling about. His mouth was moving – he was probably mouthing the lyrics of some song. Jungkook was slightly amused and was sure that the boy was probably all ready to break out in song and dance if this was not a public place.

Jungkook then turned to study the features of the boy. He was extremely boyish. His eyes were bright, sparkling and twinkling, so much so that Jungkook could feel the optimism and joy radiating from the boy. Even though his right eye was probably bigger the left – but this was such a small imperfection that could be excused. He looked extremely squishy when he puffed up his cheeks or when he suddenly broke into a smile which would cause his eyes to form into crescents. That smile was so genuine and bright that he felt a spine tingling sensation electrocute his body and a sense of warmth suddenly enveloping his body.

The said boy suddenly seemed to be aware that Jungkook had been scrutinising him. He waved at Jungkook and smiled. Jungkook quickly turned his face away, anxious to avoid any eye contact with the boy. He was feeling embarrassed that he had been found out. But why should Jungkook feel embarrass? There’s nothing wrong looking at the boy right? He was justified in looking at the boy since there’s no one else to look at. Don’t be embarrassed, Jeon Jungkook. That will only make you look bad. So he turned his face back to face the boy. The boy continued to smile at him sending bouts of fuzziness within Jungkook.

Just then the door to Dr Jin’s room opened, and out came Dr Jin who was holding an elderly female patient by her hand and led her to take a seat next to the boy before turning to the assistant to help the elderly lady.

“Jungkookie,” Dr Jin acknowledged Jungkook’s presence with a warm, welcoming tone. “It’s so great to see you. Come on in.”

And as Jungkook stood up to follow Jin, he spotted the other boy flashing him a smile.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's note:

This is my first JiKook fanfiction, and my first fanfiction after like 2 years. I find Jimin and Jungkook really adorable especially the way Jimin expresses his affection for Jungkook through the Bangtan Bombs. 

I'm still not giving too much of the story away. You will have to read on to find out. I hope this chapters flashes some insights into Jungkook's life and thoughts. Meanwhile, please subsribe and comment. Appreciate that very much.