Progress

That year, the Sun Shines

Jungkook started his dancing lessons with Jimin two weeks later. Jimin rented a dance studio for two hours every Saturday. He scheduled the lessons in the late afternoon to allow Jungkook to finish his homework before the dance lessons.

 

Before Jimin could even teach Jungkook dancing, Jin made Jimin undergo first aid training so he would know what to do if Jungkook falls ill. Jin also made Jimin demonstrate what he would be teaching Jungkook so that Jin can determine if it would be too strenuous on Jungkook.

 

The hardest part was convincing Jungkook’s parents. Jungkook tried to convince his parents but to no avail. Although they gave in to his wishes most of the time, they did not want to put his health and life at risk, so they were reluctant to give in to his wishes. It was only after they have spoken to Jin and were reassured that Jungkook will not be danger that theyfinally agreed.

 

And at Jimin’s first class, Jin and Jungkook’s mother were present. It created a bit of pressure on the teenagers especially Jimin. He had to ensure he didn’t mess up anything otherwise Jungkook would lose his chance of learning how to dance and the teenager would be upset. Besides if Jungkook has to give up his chance at living by rejecting Jimin’s heart, shouldn’t Jimin do something to at least fulfil Jungkook’s wishes? If dancing was one of them, then Jimin could at least do that much.

 

For the first lesson, he decided to showcase some of his dance moves to Jungkook’s mother. He did a contemporary dance which impressed the elder.

 

For the first half of the lesson, Jimin demonstrated some basic dance moves and footwork. Nothing too complicated or strenuous – Jimin even got Jin to join in the fun which the doctor complied with awkwardly to the amusement of those present.

 

In the next half of the lesson, Jimin demonstrated a dance he would be teaching Jungkook. It was similar to the robotic dance which he demonstrated at the orphanage, except it was a little more complicated. Once again, Jimin got Jin to join in the dance much to the doctor’s annoyance and embarrassment. After Jin attempted the basic dance moves and footwork, Jin’s mind was at ease. The dance wasn’t too difficult. For a dance black hole like Jin, it didn’t confuse him or cause his body to contort or ache. It didn’t tire Jin out so much, though the doctor had to take into account that Jungkook’s body was much weaker than his. Overall, he was satisfied that Jungkook’s life will not be in danger and relayed his opinion to Mrs Jeon.

 

Mrs Jeon bade Jimin and Jungkook farewell and merely told Jungkook not to return home too late. Jin stayed on after the lesson for a bit to talk to the two boys and reminding them to take extra caution. He then excused himself and told the two boys to enjoy their evening.

 

……

 

This arrangement continued or so for the next few weeks – by the end of the first month of lessons, Jungkook has mastered the basics of dancing. He also mastered the dance which Jimin had taught. Jimin decided to teach Jungkook some other dance, like those from the boy groups. They could learn one of easier ones and Jungkook readily agreed.

 

As much as Jimin enjoyed teaching Jungkook, Jungkook was also immensely enjoying himself. He was always amazed at how graceful and flexible Jimin is when he is dancing especially when Jimin loses himself in his performance. Furthermore, Jimin is really a patient teacher and explains the dance and movements really well. He will demonstrate over and over again until Jungkook understands. Sometimes he would correct Jungkook’s posture if need be. Normally Jungkook dislike people touching him, but he did not mind Jimin touching him in order to correct his posture. After dance class, they will head out for dinner. They will catch a bus back to Jungkook’s home. Sometimes when they didn’t feel like going home as yet, they will just board a random near empty bus service and take a ride round Seoul.

 

…..

 

And there was one week which they broke their routine by visiting the children at the orphanage, and as such did not have any class.

 

Hoseok seemed like his usual outgoing and cheerful self. But Jimin had found out from Taehyung about Hoseok’s temporary loss of eyesight. However he didn’t mention it in front of Hoseok. Taehyung meanwhile had brushed up on his saxophone and played the saxophone for the kids. Jungkook decided to sing for the kids and once again taught the kids how to draw. Jimin and Hoseok taught the kids how to dance. The teenagers were showered with affection, and were adored by the kids. Jimin, Taehyung and Hoseok were popular – because they were more energetic and engaged in sporting activities with the kids. Jimin gave some of the children a piggy back. The girl who wanted to marry Jimin clung to Jimin much to Jungkook’s annoyance.

 

Jungkook too had his own share of girls who wanted to marry him. Jimin overheard one of the girls confessed to Jungkook and chuckled. Jungkook was all flustered from the girl’s declaration that he ended up stuttering and unable to come up with a reply. Jimin noticed Jungkook’s predicament.

 

“You’re still too young to get married,” Jimin gently said to the girl.

 

The girl who was about five or six years old, pouted. “I want Jungkook-oppa to promise me that he will marry me when I grow up.”

 

“But you might not like Jungkook-oppa 20 years later.”

 

“My love for Jungkook-oppa will never change,” she declared causing Jimin to chuckle and Jungkook to be stunned. The boy was speechless.  

 

“What do we do? I want to marry Jungkookie too. And your Jungkook-oppa wants to marry me. Won’t you give in to Jimin-oppa?” Jimin pleaded with the girl with a pout and puckered his lips.

 

Jimin was so adorable and endearing that the girl could only fall for Jimin’s charms and nod her head dumbly.

 

Meanwhile Jungkook could feel his own heart flutter at Jimin’s words. He felt his face flushing with heat. He wondered whether Jimin took his own words seriously. It was probably a joke, Jungkook thought to himself.

 

“A crisis has been avoided Jeon Jungkookie,” Jimin teased.

 

But Jungkook was deep in thought and didn’t reply to Jimin.

 

“Shouldn’t you be grateful that I got you out of this mess?” Jimin asked as he put his arm around Jungkook’s shoulder.

 

Jungkook pushed Jimin lightly and huffed, “No one asked you to interfere. I could have rejected her on my own without your help. You better worry about all the girls that want to marry you! Besides, don’t say things which you don’t mean and don’t make promises which you can’t keep.”

 

Jungkook then stalked off leaving an amused Jimin chuckling.

 

“Jeon Jungkookie, don’t you want to marry me?” Jimin chased after the younger boy.

 

Jungkook only turned around and huffed, “No way.”

 

The teenagers wrapped up yet another fruitful and fun visit to the orphanage. They decided to head to the karaoke to have some fun. They took turns to sing. Hoseok and Taehyung were the mood-makers. Taehyung sang while Hoseok would rap. Sometimes they would purposely goof up a little to spread a little energy around. Jungkook and Jimin took turns to sing. Jungkook was mostly serious when he sang and the others told him to loosen up a bit which he eventually did when he switched to faster numbers.

 

……

 

The four of them decided to have dinner together at a casual restaurant where they could stay and talk for a long time.

 

“Jimin, I have good news for you. I know of an opening for a dance teacher…it’s for children. I’ve recommended you for that position. They should give you a call in a week or so to head down for an interview,” Hoseok said.

 

Jimin’s face lit up and his eyes arched into crescents. Jungkook and Taehyung were happy at the news and congratulated Jimin.

 

“Is this really true Hoseok-hyung?” Jimin babbled with joy. He was fidgeting excitedly in his seat.

 

“I’ve merely gotten you an interview. The rest is up to you. Show them what you go. But you are good with dance and the kids. I’m sure you’ll get the job,” Hoseok encouraged.

 

“I will do my best so I won’t disappoint you hyung. I can’t believe that I might be getting my first job as a dance teacher,” Jimin beamed.

 

Jungkook was infected by Jimin’s joy that he could not help but break out into a smile. Jungkook likes seeing Jimin all happy and excited. Jimin’s energy has also rubbed into Jungkook during the dance classes.

 

“And Jimin, are you interested in partnering me in a dance competition?”

 

“Me?” Jimin’s orbs widened, surprised by the proposition. “But Hoseok-hyung, you know of so many talented dancers…your friends…your dance crew…why me? I’ve never had any experience in competitions…”

 

“Because I think you would do well…and all the more you should join for the experience,” Hoseok encouraged.

 

“You should join Jiminie,” Taehyung chimed in.

 

“I agree with V-hyung and Hobi-hyung,” Jungkook said.

 

“But I don’t know my skills are up to it…what happens if we lose because of me? I don’t want to disappoint Hoseok-hyung,” Jimin said.

 

“Winning isn’t everything. I didn’t win all the competitions out there. It’s about learning from the competition and improving one’s skill. I don’t mind losing as long as we work hard and practise. It’s also for the experience. And this will benefit you if you want to teach dance,” Hoseok encouraged. “Come on Jimin, have some confidence in yourself.”

 

Jimin looked at Taehyung and Jungkook for assurance and affirmation and they nodded.

 

“Well, even V and Kookie believe in you. You can do it,” Hoseok added.

 

“I’ll do it,” Jimin said in a determined tone with a bright smile.

 

“Hwaiting,” the four boys echoed.

 

“If you do good Jiminie, you might be able to take over my spot with my dance crew,” Hoseok suggested.

 

“Hyung…what are you saying?” Jimin asked. “What do you mean replace you?”

 

“I’m planning on leaving my dance crew. And this competition will be the last time.”

 

“What?” the three boys asked in unison.

 

“Why do you guys sound as though I’ve just dropped a bomb?” Hoseok shrugged nonchalantly.

 

“Because the dance crew is your life,” Jungkook exclaimed. “From the first day I’ve known you, the dance crew has been your passion…you have put in a lot of effort…you are always excited talking about them…”

 

“Things change Kookie,” Hoseok sighed.

 

“I don’t understand. What has changed Hobi-hyung? It’s not as though you’ve given up on dancing,” Jungkook questioned.

 

“Because I’m about to lose my sight in my remaining eye,” Hoseok said. “I don’t think I can carry on dancing any longer.”

 

Jungkook shrunk back into his seat at Hoseok’s revelation. He did not know how to react except to mumble his apologies for probing.

 

Hoseok reached out to ruffle Jungkook’s hair. “Don’t be sorry Kookie. We all know this would happen eventually.”

 

“But…but…” Jungkook seemed rather upset.

 

“I’ll be fine, Kookie. There are times when I might experience a temporary loss of sight. The doctor said I probably have less than 6 or 7 months before I totally lose my sight. If I’m lucky, maybe I have a year or so.”

 

Tears started to stream down Jungkook’s eyes. Jimin too felt his eyes getting wet. Taehyung gripped Hoseok’s hand to offer him his support. He has heard about this news from Hoseok a few weeks earlier when Taehyung asked about Hoseok’s visit to his specialist. Hoseok didn’t want to tell Taehyung about the diagnosis, but at Taehyung’s insistence, Hoseok finally broke down and poured his heart out. Taehyung could remember Hoseok was a sobbing mess as Taehyung hugged and comforted Hoseok.

 

Jimin meanwhile tried to comfort Jungkook by patting him on the back.

 

“It’s so unfair,” Jungkook sniffed.

 

“Hey Kookie,” Hoseok tried to reassure Jungkook. “Don’t worry, I’ll be alright. I’ve started to learn braille a long time ago. It will be difficult and I will need time to adjust, but I think I can do it. So you must cheer me on. You might have to be my eyes in the future. Will you be my eyes Kookie?”

 

Jungkook could only sniff and nod his head.

 

“Guys, I’ll be fine. I can still carry on with my studies. I still As long as you guys are there to support me. Please be patient with me,” Hoseok said.

 

“But you’re not fine,” Taehyung pointed out.

 

“V…”

 

“You must be feeling crappy, lonely and fearful inside. You don’t have to pretend everything is fine,” Taehyung said.

 

“I’m not. That is why I’m asking you guys for support.”

 

“Not just that…I mean you’re allowed to cry…to whine about how everything is unfair…how you will miss dancing…performing…” Taehyung said.

 

“It won’t change anything,” Hoseok said.

 

“But it’s better than bottling inside and trying to act cheery over it,” Taehyung countered.

 

“V…I’m fine…I admit…I know it feels unfair…and I need some time to adjust…and the news that I will lose my sight as quick in six months…and I would experience sporadic moments when I would temporary lose my sight…came as a shocker and downer…but I’ll be fine…really I am…” Hoseok tried to reassure the boys.

 

“Is there no way to restore your sight?” Jungkook asked.

 

“A transplant would help. But there are not many donors…” Hoseok said.

 

Hoseok paused for a while before returning to his cheery self. “Hey! Let’s not talk about such depressing things. Let’s talk about happy things. Like I want to hear from Jungkook about his dance lessons…”

 

They decided to go with Hoseok’s wishes. So Jungkook talked enthusiastically about his dance lessons with Jimin. His doe eyes sparkled when he spoke proudly about being able to get the basics right, and to be able to execute the movements of a three to four minute dance routine. Hoseok was happy for Jungkook and encouraged Jungkook.

 

The four boys spent their entire evening at the restaurant and had a casual conversation with one another, steering clear of any depressing topics. It was getting late and they all decided to part ways. Taehyung and Hoseok decided to go to a club while Jimin and Jungkook decided to head home. Since Taehyung was heading to the club, Jimin

 

……

 

As it was late, Jimin and Jungkook decided to catch a taxi back to Jungkook’s home.

 

“I feel sad for Hobi-hyung,” Jungkook said. “Although I know my situation is much worse…I am at risk of dying from my heart condition, I can’t help but feel sad for Hoseok-hyung. It is so difficult to accept the loss of one’s sight…he has to get use to the darkness…it’s so unfair that a talented performer and dancer like him can’t perform anymore…”

 

“I’m sure Hoseok-hyung will find a way out. Although he can’t perform, I’m sure he’ll find other areas which he will excel in. Isn’t he studying social work or something? I’m sure he will make a great social work despite the challenges he would face,” Jimin comforted Jungkook.

 

“Didn’t he say he might suffer from temporary loss of vision?” Jungkook asked.

 

“In fact he did…” Jimin blurted.

 

“What? What happened?” Jungkook asked anxiously. “What do I not know?”

 

“Nothing…”

 

“I’m sure there’s something…come on, tell me. Hobi-hyung is an important person. I want to know,” Jungkook pleaded.

 

“He was out with Taetae a few weeks ago. He was crossing the road when he suffered a temporary loss of vision,” Jimin said.

 

Jungkook gasped. “In…the middle of the road…? Oh my god…”

 

Jimin nodded and Jungkook tried to control his sniffle.

 

Jimin patted Jungkook. “It’s fine. Taetae was there. So everything was under control.”

 

“I’m worried for Hobi-hyung. If only he could get a transplant or something…”

 

But those words gnawed at Jimin since he knew that Taehyung would be the one who is to donate his corneas. He didn’t know how to respond to Jungkook’s comment and merely nodded his head.

 

……

 

Hoseok has had a few drinks, and was feeling rather high. He was on the dance floor pressing his body against others. Taehyung fortunately had not had much to drink as yet and he followed Hoseok onto the dance floor to keep watch over the older male. He tried to stop Hoseok.

 

“Hoseok-hyung, come on, let’s go sit down,” Taehyung urged.

 

“Don’t be a spoilsport V. I’m here to have fun. Come on, you should dance as well,” Hoseok pulled V towards him and began to move his body against Taehyung’s.

 

“Come on, V, let’s have some fun,” Hoseok purred.

 

Taehyung had no choice but to dance with Hoseok. He tried to back away from Hoseok but the latter would try to close the distance between them. Taehyung could feel Hoseok’s hot breath against his skin and he felt a little uncomfortable. He tried to worm himself away from the dance floor, but Hoseok only grabbed Taehyung by his waist and pulled him even closer.

 

“What are you doing?” Taehyung questioned rather impatiently. “I don’t want to dance.”

 

“Didn’t you agree to support me? Didn’t you agree to be patient with me?” Hoseok growled.

 

“You’re drunk,” Taehyung retorted.

 

“I’m not. I just want to enjoy myself,” Hoseok defended.

 

“Sure, you can, but I don’t want to be part of it,” Taehyung replied. He sounded irritated and defiant. “Just let me go.”

 

Hoseok leaned forward and place his lips on Taehyung’s lips. Taehyung remained frozen for a moment. Hoseok was trying to seek entrance but Taehyung stubbornly sealed his lips. It took him a few moments to realise what was happening before he pushed Hoseok aside and stormed off.

 

Hoseok hobbled after Taehyung. Taehyung was outside the club waiting for a cab.

 

“V!” Hoseok called out desperately.

 

Taehyung heard Hoseok shout out to him but he chose ignore Hoseok.

 

“V!”

 

But Taehyung refused to turn around until he heard a thud. Worried, he turned around and he spotted Hoseok on the ground. He hesitated whether to approach Hoseok – he wanted to leave Hoseok there, but he softened a little and ran towards Hoseok and extended his hand towards Hoseok and helped him up.

 

Hoseok was in tears as he mumbled, “I’m sorry V. I’m sorry V. I’m sorry for being such an . I’m sorry for kissing you…I know I shouldn’t have…but…”

 

Taehyung sighed.

 

“I don’t know why I become and behave so weak in front of you V. I hate it, V. I hate it,” Hoseok sobbed.

 

“It’s alright Hoseok-hyung. Let’s just get you home. It’s been a long day,” Taehyung reassured Hoseok as he held the older boy’s hand and led him to catch a taxi home.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello to dear readers, how is everyone doing?

I know I've been neglecting this story for a while, but that doesn't mean I had given up on it. I had been having a hard time with law school. There were many ups and downs (downs mostly which include a panic attack over an assignment, nearly wanting to give up law school etc) since my last update, and it was only recently that I managed to get some time to sit down and finish this chapter. The next few months will prove to be challenging and my next update might be in a few months. I'm sorry for the long wait. But September to October end will prove to be a challenging month. Hopefully I will have something up by 1st or 2nd week of November. 

Meanwhile please continue to shower me with your comments and feedback, and if you have yet to subscribe to this story, please subscribe to it so you will know when it gets updated.

Do check out my other stories as well if you have the time.