Breaking and Entering II

That year, the Sun Shines

Jimin was loitering outside Jungkook’s gate. He couldn’t help but smile at Jungkook’s stubbornness and prickliness. Yet under that grudging behaviour and façade was a boy who was really warm inside. He was a lonely boy who erected barriers around himself due to his illness, but yet wanted attention, affection, care, and to be loved.  Jin hit the spot on his analysis of Jungkook. 

It was then a car pulled up by the kerb and stopped. A sharply dressed woman alighted from the driver’s side and headed towards Jimin. When she spotted Jimin she asked, “Hello there. How can I help you?”

“Hello. I’m fine thanks. I’m just waiting for someone,” Jimin bowed and replied politely.

“From this house?” she pointed at Jungkook’s residence.

“Yes,” Jimin replied.

“Do you know Jungkookie? Are you waiting for him?”

“Yes. I’m supposed to retrieve something from him. He’s inside at the moment. He told me to wait outside here for him.”

“Aish! That brat,” the woman cursed. “How could he so rude as to make a friend wait outside?”

She paused and quickly composed herself. “I’m so sorry. I forgot to introduce myself. I’m Jungkook’s mother. You look around Jungkook’s age. Are you his friend or something? But he doesn’t have many friends and you’re not in school uniform.” 

“I’m Park Jimin. Nice to meet you…Jungkook’s mother…”

“Just call me eomeoni.”

“Ne, eomeonim.”

“Jimin-goon, I’m so sorry that Jungkookie made you wait outside here. Will you please come in?”

Knowing that it was rude to decline an elder’s invitation, Jimin smiled and accepted her invitation.

“Jimin-goon, are you Jungkook’s classmate?” Mrs Jeon asked as she opened the door.

“I’m not. I’ve finished high school. I’m two years older than Jungkook.”

“He never mentioned to me that he has any friends who are older. Then again, he doesn’t tell me much about his friends,” she sighed. “How long have you known Jungkookie?”

“Not long. We sort of met at the hospital when I was visiting a friend,” Jimin replied as he took his shoes off and placed them neatly on the rack.

“Mm…” she said.

He followed Mrs Jeon into the living room. “Please make yourself comfortable.”

Just then Jungkook came down from the stairs and was shocked when he spotted his mother and Jimin.

“Eomma…why are you here?” Jungkook stuttered. “Park Jimin, what are you doing in here…didn’t I ask you to wait…”

“Aigoo, Jungkookie, this is my house. Don’t I have a right to be here?”

“I’m sorry eomma.”

“And why are you so rude to your friend? Firstly you made him wait outside. Secondly you addressed him by his full name. He’s older than you. Shouldn’t you address him hyung or something?” Mrs Jeon gently chided Jungkook.

Jungkook felt his face was burning with shame.

“Seriously Jungkookie, stop being so prickly and rude,” Mrs Jeon continued with her lecture.

“Eomeonim, can I interrupt?” Jimin politely asked.

“Yes Jimin-goon.”

“I’m sure Jungkook doesn’t mean to be rude. I mean…”

Mrs Jeon sighed. “You’re really understanding, Jimin-goon. But his rudeness reflects badly on his upbringing and thus badly on me.”

“I’m sorry eomma,” Jungkook muttered and lowered his gaze. He looked whipped and like a sad puppy that was just reprimanded by its master. His air of prickliness had vanished.

“You should be apologising to Jimin-goon.”

“I’m sorry Jimin…” Jungkook muttered.

His mother was glowering at him.

“Hyung…” Jungkook continued.

While Jimin would like for Jungkook to address him as hyung, he wasn’t really much happy that it happened under such circumstances. He flashed his winsome smile, “I’m all good, Jungkookie. I know you didn’t mean to be rude. I didn’t take it to heart. Eomeonim, please don’t reprimand Jungkookie anymore. I’m sure he has learnt his lesson.”

Jungkook didn’t know whether he should be angry or grateful to Jimin. After all, it was partly Jimin’s fault that he (Jungkook) ended up being reprimanded by his mother for being rude, though Jungkook knew his behaviour was far from ideal and perfect. On the other hand, Jungkook was grateful for Jimin trying to speak up for him even though Jungkook had acted less than respectful to Jimin. However Jungkook felt embarrassed that Jimin witnessed him being reprimanded by his mother. After all, no teenager would like the humiliation of receiving a dressing down by the parents witnessed by one of their peers.

Mrs Jeon relaxed a little and took out some cash from her wallet and it onto Jungkook. He was pretty surprised.

“I’m just here to pick up some documents for a business dinner tonight. Why don’t you call some takeaway and have Jimin-goon stay for dinner? No one’s going to be at home anyway and I’ll be home late.”

“Eomma!” Jungkook didn’t like the idea of having dinner with Jimin.

“Or you can go out with Jimin-goon for dinner,” she suggested.

Turning to Jimin she politely requested, “Jimin-goon, could I ask you a favour?”

“Ne, eomeonim.”

“If you two boys go out for dinner, and if it is not too much of a bother for you, would you please ensure Jungkookie gets home safely? He is sick…”

“Eomma!” Jungkook protested. He hated to appear weak and feeble. “I can get home on my own. It’s not that I will die…”

Ignoring Jungkook’s protests, Mrs Jeon continued, “You look like a responsible person Jimin-goon, I trust that you would look after uri Jungkookie.”

“Ne, eomeonim,” Jimin bowed and smiled at the older lady.

Satisfied, Mrs Jeon disappeared into one of the rooms on the first floor and came out with folders of documents. She smiled at the two boys who were staring at each other rather awkwardly. She merely told them to enjoy their evening together and left the house.

It was Jimin who decided to break the silence, “So Jungkookie, have you found my headphones?”

Jungkook’s gaze darted around for a few seconds and he mumbled, “Sorry. I can’t remember where I put them. My room is in a mess at the moment. It will take some time to search for it.”

Jimin hummed. He noticed that Jungkook appears to be a neat person – the way he wore his uniform sharply – neatly tucked in, his school tie properly tied, his shirt and pants remained rather crinkle-free despite a long day. For a boy who is able to fastidiously look after his appearance pretty well but to leave his room in a mess is quite unbelievable. Jimin wasn’t stupid. Jimin could guess Jungkook probably did not want to return the headphones to him so as provide Jimin an excuse to meet him (Jungkook) again.

He chuckled, “Well, since I have some time, I could help you reorganise the mess in your room.”

Jungkook shook his head, “I’m fine, thank you. I wouldn’t want to scare you with the mess in my room. Besides we are not too familiar with one another for you to come up to my room just yet.”

“Hmm…just yet…does this mean that we once we are familiar, I could go up to your room?”

“N…n…no…” Jungkook stuttered. He blushed.

“So Jungkookie, do you want to order take out, or do you want to go out for dinner?” Jimin decided to stop the teasing and change the subject.

“I’d rather eat on my own.”

“Isn’t it lonely to eat on your own? After all, your mum did ask you to buy me dinner. Take that as a form of apology.”

“What apology?” Jungkook was back to his irascible self.

“For not calling me hyung,” Jimin smirked.

Jungkook rolled his eyes. “I can’t believe that you’re still hung up on that!”

Jimin advanced closer to Jungkook with a smirk still on his face. Jungkook was a little startled by Jimin’s actions and mesmerised by the confidence Jimin was showing that he remained in his spot until their faces came within centimetres of one another. He found himself gazing into Jimin’s sparkling orbs. He was mesmerised by Jimin’s cocky smirk. He could feel Jimin’s hot breath on his cheeks. There was an inexplicable tension that was suddenly overpowering his body and making him go weak. Suddenly Jimin broke into a smile, “Let’s go out to eat, shall we?”

Jungkook gulped and nodded, and Jimin pulled back from Jungkook.

“I…I…need to shower and change. Just make…yourself comfortable in the living room,” Jungkook stuttered. He turned around and quickly scooted upstairs in embarrassment as he wondered what was happening to him. This was the first time Jungkook ever got so close to a stranger. It was a strange and foreign feeling. He wasn’t able to pinpoint what he felt. He the cold shower to wash away the heat that was creeping over his body.

Jungkook came down some 30 minutes later feeling refreshing after a shower. He was decked out in an oversized print tee and a pair of skinny jeans. Jimin was just relaxing in the living room with his eyes transfixed on his handphone that he did not notice Jungkook’s presence.

Jungkook cleared his throat as a way to get Jimin’s attention. Jimin stood up to study Jungkook and noted that the younger boy had a nice casual style to him.

“Ready to go?” Jungkook asked.

“Sure. Do you have any place in mind?”

Jungkook shrugged. “You can decide.”

“Well, let’s not go somewhere too far then so that you can get home easily. There are a few eateries within a short walk from your home. Anyone would be fine.”

Jungkook merely nodded in agreement.

The walk to the restaurant was silent. Jimin took extra care to ensure that he was walking alongside Jungkook. He would slow down or quicken his pace to match up with Jungkook. Jungkook was aware of Jimin’s actions and he was somewhat impressed by Jimin’s gesture.

They stopped in front of the eateries. “I’ve read reviews that this place is pretty good,” Jimin said. “Shall we try?”

Jungkook nodded. “Did you actually search for a place to eat or something?”

“I did while you were showering,” Jimin responded as both of them entered the eatery and were greeted by a friendly ahjumma who quickly ushered them to their seats.

“So what’s good here?” Jungkook asked.

Jimin took out his handphone, tapped on the screen and found the app and handed his phone over to Jungkook. “Have a look at some of the photos and reviews.”

Jungkook scrolled through the photos and returned Jimin’s phone. “Do you have any idea what you want?”

“Kind of. What about you?”

“Yeah.”

“Do you want to order two or three items that we can share. At least there’s more variety,” Jimin suggested.

“Sure.”

“Is there anything which you don’t eat?”

“I eat everything.”

“Shall we?”

Jungkook nodded. Jimin got the lady’s attention and ordered their meal.

“Haven’t you been here before?”

Jungkook shook his head. “I don’t eat dinner out that much. Eomma usually cooks food and stores in the fridge which I will reheat or I’ll just call for take out.”

“Don’t you have dinner with your mum?”

“Once or twice on the weekday evenings. She’s usually busy with work. She has her own business. She’s out meeting with clients tonight.”

“And your dad?”

“He comes home late. Most of the time I’ll be upstairs in my room when he gets back.”

Jimin could sense a tone of resignation in Jungkook’s voice.

“Do you have anyone else at home?”

“A hyung. But he’s in America at the moment. He’ll be home for the summer holidays.”

At the mention of his brother, Jungkook’s expression lit up a little and Jimin noted that Jungkook has a good relationship with his brother.

“Don’t you feel lonely having meals alone?”

Jungkook shrugged. “I’m used to it. The adults are busy with their own things. Anyway it’s no big deal. It’s probably better to eat alone. Spend less time. Conversations can be a waste of time.”

“So do you think it is a waste of time to have dinner with me?”

“Well, yeah.”

“Ouch,” Jimin faked a pained expression.

“I am serious.”

“Double ouch. That hurts. Then why are you here with me?”

Jungkook paused and hummed. “Well, that’s because I need to eat. And you look as though you have no plans for dinner and could use some company, so I decided to grace you with my presence.”

Jimin snorted, “I read it as ‘I find Park Jimin interesting and I want to know him so I’m with him’.”

“That’s some ego you have there,” Jungkook rebuffed.

“That’s not ego. It’s just confidence.”

“Whatever floats your boat,” Jungkook scoffed.

“But you’re right about something though…” Jimin said causing Jungkook to raise his eyebrows.

“I could use some company for dinner. I don’t like to eat alone. I always had meals with others.”

“Well, you did say you were from an orphanage, right?”

“Yup, so all kids would gather together at meal times and there would be chatter in the dining room which enlivens the place.”

“Seems like you grew up okay in the orphanage. At least you have other kids for company,” Jungkook remarked. Jimin couldn’t tell whether there was a hint of envy in Jungkook’s tone, though it seemed to be that way.

“Yeah...we may not have parents…but we all grew up pretty okay,” there was a tinge of sadness in Jimin’s tone and he paused remember Jin’s words about the children that had graduated. 

“No parents…?” Jungkook wondered. “That’s impossible.”

Jimin realised his slip up, “I mean we may not have had our parents by our side growing up, or we have never met them or know them…”

Jungkook nodded and accepted Jimin’s explanation. To Jimin’s relief, the food arrived and it looked really delicious. Uttering the customary words that they would eat well, they commenced their meal with Jimin taking food and placing it on Jungkook’s bowl.

“I’m fine, Jimin. I can help myself. Don’t just take food for me. Help yourself to the food too.”

“Did you just call me Jimin?”

Jungkook feigned ignorance and started digging into his food.

“Didn’t we establish earlier that you have to call me hyung?”

“Did we?”

“Your mum…”

“I’ll call you hyung when she’s around. I’ll stick to Jimin when she isn’t.”

“You brat…” Jimin sighed as Jungkook looked smugly at Jimin. “I can’t even…”

Jimin discovered that Jungkook wasn’t a fussy eater. There were certain foods that he later told Jimin that he could avoid due to his illness. He shrugged it off as though it wasn’t a big deal and that he has accepted the fact that his diet is limited. Jimin would continue to take food and put it into Jungkook’s bowl. Jungkook stopped protesting and thanked Jimin instead. Jungkook appeared to be a comfortable with Jimin and looked rather relaxed.  

And Jungkook really appreciated Jimin’s gesture. He thought that Jimin was a really caring hyung. Jimin was really good-tempered and patient even though Jungkook liked to irritate Jimin by not calling him hyung. In these aspects, Jimin was just like Jungkook’s older brother. Jungkook could not help but wonder how Jimin grew up to be such a fine person without parents. Jungkook felt that his own parents neglected him – they were always too busy for him – yet they seemed to be able to make time for his brother. He felt uncherished – was it because he would die young that they didn’t love him that much? It might be an unfair statement to make about his parents – but this was that Jungkook perceived. Jungkook wanted to know how to cope with such a feeling. He wanted to ask Jimin how was it like to grow up in an orphanage, but decided against it. He knew Jimin was good-natured, but certain issues might be sensitive and Jungkook didn’t think he was that insensitive to possibly dig up Jimin’s pain. Meanwhile Jimin noticed that Jungkook had stopped eating though he was still gripping the spoon.

“Jungkookie?”

“Ne?” Although Jimin’s voice was not a deep, gruff sound, and a little higher pitch, there was something warming about his tone.

“Why have you stopped eating? Are you thinking about something?”

“I’m fine, just a little tired,” he said and he shoved a mouthful of rice and meat into his mouth.

“Oh,” Jimin stared at the rice in his bowl and the remaining food on the table. “Then we better hurry. You should get home and rest.”

Jimin started to attack the food with gusto and Jungkook just broke into a smile. He muttered, “It’s okay Jimin hyung. You don’t have to eat so fast. Don’t choke.”

Jimin stopped. “Did I just hear you correctly? Did you just call me hyung? Are you concerned over me? Can you call me hyung again?”

Jungkook just pretended he did not hear Jimin’s questions and continued with his meal. Just then Jimin leaned forward to Jungkook’s soft and silky hair. “You’re really cute. You tend to act all huffy and all but you’re a real softie inside.”

Normally Jungkook would cringe at any physical contact, or would pull himself back from any physical contact, but he didn’t. And he was surprised at his own non-reaction. Perhaps it was because Jimin touched him for less than 20 seconds, or he has gotten used to Jimin touching him – Jimin did carry him after all. Jungkook brushed off all thoughts of the contact he had with Jimin and just concentrated on his meal. After a while he was done. Jimin was done too.

Jungkook paid the bill and they took a stroll to Jungkook’s home together. Jungkook told Jimin that he could make it home on his own, but Jimin insisted on walking him back – saying that it was his responsibility as he had promised Jungkook’s mother that he would see Jungkook home. Jungkook did not protest.

“So when can I collect my headphones from you?” Jimin asked.

“Friday, after class, outside my school,” Jungkook said. He paused before continuing, “Are the headphones really important to you?”

Jimin nodded. “It’s not my only headphones I have but it’s my favourite. My best friend saved up to buy it for me.”

“It must be nice to receive presents from a friend,” Jungkook casually remarked.

“Yup, considering that he doesn’t have that much money. It must have taken him quite a while to save up,” Jimin said. “Have you gotten any present from a friend that you cherish a lot?”

Jungkook thought for a moment and shook his head.

“Don’t you have many friends?” Jimin asked.

But before Jungkook could respond, he felt himself being tugged. His body collided with Jimin’s chest as a loud vroom of the motorcycle sounded as it sped by.

“Jungkookie, are you ok?”

Their faces were once again close to one another. Jungkook could feel the warmth of Jimin’s body and what he thought was the beating of Jimin's heart. He could feel Jimin’s hot breath on his neck. 

“I’m…fine…thanks…” Jungkook stuttered.

“I’m so sorry. I should have been more alert and taken better care of you. I should have let you walked inside,” Jimin gripped Jungkook’s hands.

“I’m fine…I’m not hurt…”

“You could have gotten hurt…and it would be my…”

“I’m fine. You don’t have to reproach yourself,” Jungkook reassured Jimin gently.

The worry in Jimin’s eyes dissipated. Jimin let go of Jungkook’s hands. “Walk inside, Jungkookie.”

Jimin quickly switched places with Jungkook.

“You know, you don’t have to get so worried. If it’s my time to die, it’s my time to die. There’s nothing I can do about it,” Jungkook shrugged.

Jimin paused in his tracks. “How could you say something like that? How could you take life and death so easily?”

“Because I might die anytime,” Jungkook whispered. “You do know that I have a heart problem. I might die anytime. It’s only a matter of time. Sometimes I wonder if I would even make it past my next birthday. I’m not afraid of death.”

Jimin remembered the words Jin had said about Jungkook – that he would die if he doesn’t receive a heart transplant by the time he turns 21. He felt like a brick had been thrown at him. Jungkook’s words hit him hard.

“Jimin! Jimin-hyung, are you ok?” Jungkook noticed the spaced out Jimin.

Jimin forced a smile. “Come on Jungkookie, let’s get you home.”

.........................................................................................................................................................................................................

Jungkook was about to get into bed, but the memory of closeness of the physical contact he had with Jimin led Jungkook to his desk. Jungkook picked up Jimin’s headphones and gazed at it, as though it gave him some comfort in lieu of its owner, and wondered if he should return it to Jimin on Friday.

Maybe not.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So sorry for taking so long to update. Exam preparation took up quite a lot of time - especially with content heavy subjects such as Equity, Trusts and Constitutional Law. Anyway I am glad my exams are over and I am getting a few days break and time to continue with this fiction. But the next update will take some time as I would be on a holiday and I would not have access to the computer. 

Meanwhile I hope you would enjoy this chapter. I hope you would like the JiKook moments in this chapter. Do comment and subscribe.