V and JHope

That year, the Sun Shines

Taehyung and Hoseok filed out from the cinema hall with the rest of the patrons. The two males had opted for a comedy at the insistence of Hoseok.

 

“I really had a good laugh,” Hoseok commented. “Nothing beats a good comedy to brighten one’s day. I love comedies. They make me happy. Otherwise, life gets too dull, serious and depressing.

 

Taehyung beamed a smile, albeit slightly forced. Fortunately, Hoseok didn’t detect it. He wondered how does Hoseok stay so chippy at times when he is about to lose sight. Perhaps he is all too relaxed about things knowing he would get a donor? Taehyung isn’t like Hoseok in this aspect. He is going to lose his sight to Hoseok while Jimin might lose his life. Taehyung was in no mood for comedies and laughter. 

 

“What’s life without a good laugh?” Taehyung faked a laugh. He would have much preferred to catch the same movie as Jimin and Jungkook, but because he wanted to create opportunities for Jimin and Jungkook to be together as well as for himself and Hoseok to get a bit closer which is why he agreed to catch a comedy with the older male. They could have always gone for a later show, but Taehyung had let Hoseok pick the movie Hoseok wanted to watch. And in order to leave a good impression on Hoseok, he had to agree with Hoseok’s choice.  

 

Hoseok suddenly turned all solemn. “You must be thinking what is wrong with Jung Hoseok. Why is he even watching movies when he can’t see in one eye? Why is he doing such meaningless things?”

 

Taehyung was thinking to himself. “I know right.”

 

“I just want to watch as many moving images as I can before I lose my eyesight. Because after I lose my eyesight, I can only rely on sound. I can only draw images in my mind,” Hoseok continued ruefully.

 

Taehyung nodded while cursing inwardly – I would be the one having to draw images in my mind if you don’t sign the form.

 

And then Hoseok returned to his happy self again in the next moment. “V, how do you think Jimin-ssi and Kookie go? Kookie is a bit shy so he would not initiate anything. Do you think Jimin-ssi would take the opportunity to get close to Kookie? I worry if Kookie would reject Jimin-ssi. Aish! That kid.”

 

“I did encourage Jiminie to hold Jungkook’s hand,” Taehyung said. He was a little taken aback by Hoseok’s sudden change of mood. “Gosh he’s weird,” Taehyung thought.

 

“You did?” Hoseok asked excitedly. “I hope Jimin-ssi held Kookie’s hand and Kookie didn’t push him away. I know it is merely holding hands…”

 

Suddenly Hoseok grabbed Taehyung by his left hand. This startled Taehyung as he felt his heartbeat accelerate a little which he attributed to the sudden shock Hoseok sprang on him.

 

“It doesn’t mean anything much…since friends can even hold hands…but it means so much if it was Kookie…he doesn’t like people to touch him…if he does…it means that he trusts Jimin-ssi…I hope both of them work out,” Hoseok rattled on.

 

“Me too,” Taehyung opined. He was a still a little freaked out from Hoseok grabbing his hand all of the sudden.

 

“I wonder what those two kids are doing now,” Hoseok said aloud.

 

“Probably enjoying their dinner somewhere,” Taehyung shrugged.

 

“Did you just say dinner?” Hoseok exclaimed.

 

“Ne. What’s the fuss? It’s dinner time.”

 

“What’s the time? It’s already seven. I totally forgot about it. Damn,” Hoseok cursed.

 

“What’s wrong?”

 

“V-ssi, do you have anything on?”

 

“No, since Jiminie is out on his date with Jungkook, I guess not. I’ll just buy some takeout and go home if you’re busy.”

 

“No…no…I don’t mean that…I mean…will you want to accompany me to an event?” Hoseok asked.

 

Taehyung would actually prefer to be alone or just return home, watch television or play some games. He had a feeling what Hoseok would be suggesting is not his cup of tea. But as he needed to get close to Hoseok, he nodded. “What’s the event about?”

 

“Some dance festival competition. It’s going to start in about half-an-hour. It’s another part of town. We should be able to make it if we hurry,” Hoseok gushed.

 

He is such a dance fanatic…almost on Jiminie’s level, Taehyung thought to himself. “Sure, let’s go.”

 

“But are you hungry V-ssi? It won’t end until 10 at earliest.”

 

“I’ll be fine…”

 

“Let’s grab some snacks…some bread or something…I know there’s a bakery here…” Hoseok said as he grabbed Taehyung by his wrist in search of a bakery.

 

“Hoseok-hyung, I’m fine…we should get there immediately. You seem so hype up over this competition. I don’t want you to be late…”

 

“Doesn’t matter if we’re a few minutes late…I don’t want you to go hungry…” Hoseok insisted as he continued to drag Taehyung along to find a bakery.

 

……

 

It turns out that the two weren’t late. They arrived there just before the first teams began to perform. It was held in an open area and many spectators were present. The two managed to weave through the crowd to get close to the stage.

 

Taehyung wonder why he even agreed to accompany Hoseok given Jimin had over the years unsuccessfully tried to get Taehyung to accompany to dance performances or to learn dancing. Dancing was just not his thing.

 

Before Taehyung could ask Hoseok what they were doing there, it was as though Hoseok was able to read Taehyung’s mind. Hoseok turned to Taehyung and said, “Some of my former students are competing today. My former dance crew are performing too.”

 

Taehyung could see the pride in Hoseok’s face, yet Hoseok sounded a little downcast. Taehyung picked up on the word ‘former’. Perhaps Taehyung was over-analysing things but he decided to probe anyway.

 

“Hoseok-hyung, is everything okay?”

 

“I’m good,” Hoseok replied without looking at Taehyung. “Let’s just watch the performances.”

 

Taehyung observed Hoseok. The latter was really engrossed and absorbed in all the performances. The way Hoseok’s remaining good eye would dart with the performers’ movements. The way his eye would light up at some interesting dance movement; the way he would lavish praise when a team executes a difficult move with precision – it appears to Taehyung dancing is Hoseok’s passion.

 

Taehyung felt Hoseok nudge him. “My former students are up next. Well…not the entire group…”

 

Hoseok cheered loudly when the next group appeared onstage.

 

Hoseok scrutinised their every movement while making comments – stating so and so had improved very much – explaining each movement to a disinterested Taehyung, to wowing at a difficult movement the group executed. Hoseok was beaming with joy and pride. And he applauded furiously when they finished the performance.

 

“They did very well. I man they’re not the best, but I would dare say that they are within top three from what we have seen so far. Whether they emerge victorious I’m so glad that they have come this far. Those I have taught before have really improved by leaps and bounds and it’s really due to their own effort and hard work. To me, that’s as good as winning,” Hoseok rattled. “I’m so happy for them. It just seems like yesterday that I was teaching them.”

 

The competition continued with Hoseok continuing to be absorbed with the various stages. His face lit up when it was announced the special performers for the event will take to the stage. They were the champions of the competition two years ago.

 

“That’s my dance crew on stage,” Hoseok trembled with excitement in his tone. “We participated in the same competition two years ago and we won. How time flies.”

 

“Then why aren’t you there with them today?” Taehyung asked absent-mindedly and he immediately regretted his mouth for being a loose cannon. The answer was obvious, wasn’t it?

 

Hoseok was about to reply when the first beats of the track sounded. The crew broke from their starting positions and into an eclectic mix of body thumping moves, and slick, smooth choreography

 

There was pride in Hoseok’s face as he watched the group perform. His smile was bright.

 

“They’re doing better than before,” he noted. Taehyung caught a tone of resignation in Hoseok’s voice. “I’m glad.”

 

The performance ended with a thunderous applause and cheers from the spectators – Hoseok and Taehyung included. Hoseok was clapping wildly and screaming the group’s name from his position.

 

A few minutes later, the emcee took to the stage to announce the winners. The team comprising Hoseok’s student emerged runners-up.

 

Hoseok nudged Taehyung, “Come on V, let’s go. I’m hungry. I want to go eat dinner.”

 

Taehyung was surprised at Hoseok’s suggestion. “Don’t you want to meet with your dance crew and your former students and chat with them for a bit? Don’t hold back because of me…”

 

“It’s not because of you V. I’m really famished,” Hoseok assured Taehyung.

 

“But isn’t it rude not to say hi to your crew and congratulate your students?”

 

“They’ll understand. I’ll just send them a text message,” Hoseok shrugged. “Let’s go eat. I’m so hungry that I think I could eat an entire cow.”

 

This doesn’t sound like the Hoseok I know, Taehyung thought. But he acquiesced to Hoseok’s request and nodded.

 

……

 

“That’s a lot of meat and drink you have there,” Taehyung remarked as he noticed the plates of meat and bottles of soju on the table.

 

“Told you, I’m so hungry that I could devour an entire cow,” Hoseok grinned. “And I’m so happy that I think could use a few drinks. Anyway, the meal is on me tonight.”

 

Hoseok then proceeded to pour Taehyung a glass of soju followed one for himself. Hoseok turned his head away to down this drink.

 

Hoseok started to grill the meats for the both of them. The smell of grilling meats made both boys hungry and they were soon attacking the food with gusto while downing soju shots.

 

“V, thank you.”

 

“Why?” Taehyung asked. He was puzzled.

 

“For everything today…for helping out at the orphanage…for accompanying me to watch a comedy…and to the dance festival…and for dinner…” Hoseok sounded really sincere and heartfelt.

 

“You’re being polite, hyung.”

 

“I didn’t know you grew up in an orphanage…yet I made you guys volunteer…I was so insensitive…what if…”

 

“It’s okay hyung. Jiminie and I grew up pretty fine. Our experience in the orphanage wasn’t so bad…we had a lot of good moments there. And you wouldn’t have known about us growing up in an orphanage anyway.”

 

“I could see that. You and Jimin-ssi are really nice people. Otherwise you wouldn’t be able interact so well the kids this morning. I guess…that’s empathy.”

 

“We had a lot of siblings there. So it’s was a lot of fun. And the administrators took good care of us. And we had a hyung whom we were close to. He was a volunteer. So I guess I’m all for spending time bringing happiness to other kids who are in my situation. And I know Jiminie feels the same.”

 

“You’re a rare gem V. It’s so difficult to meet people like you,” Hoseok praised.

 

“I don’t deserve all the credit. Jiminie too is a nice guy…he’s a much nicer guy than me.”

 

“But I’m glad both of you guys made it. Once again, thank you. I can’t help but keep thanking you because I don’t know if my thanks are enough.”

 

“Well, since you’re buying me dinner, that’s good enough,” Taehyung chuckled as Hoseok downed another shot.

 

The four bottles of soju were finished. Hoseok was about to order another bottle from the ahjumma but Taehyung stopped him.

 

“V, why won’t you allow me to order more soju?” Hoseok whined as he pouted.

 

“Because you shouldn’t drink too much.”

 

“But I can hold my liquor well. Besides, I’m not drunk. I’m happy. I just want to drink,” Hoseok protested. “I’m so happy to have met new friends…you and Jimin-ssi, especially you V. I feel that we are somewhat in sync…at least in trying to get Kookie and Jimin together…I could read your mind or something…when you went to buy the tickets…I knew you were up to some mischief.”

 

 

If only you truly know my thoughts, Taehyung thought to himself.

 

“So we need to toast to our friendship,” Hoseok cheered as he ordered another bottle of soju which was promptly brought out. He poured himself and Taehyung another shot each and they downed it almost immediately.

 

“And I hope we can get to know each other better along the way…that is if you don’t mind having a friend who is about to go totally blind…”

 

“What are you talking about hyung? Who do you think I am? Am I such a superficial person? Of course it wouldn’t matter to me if you’re going blind…or have perfect eyesight,” Taehyung interjected. However Taehyung knew this was far from the truth.

 

“I’m so glad V. I’m so happy!” Hoseok gushed as he poured them another shot and took it in a gulp.

 

Taehyung left his drink untouched and Hoseok noticed that. Hoseok pointed at the drink. “Come on V, you’re not giving me face.”

 

“Hyung, you should stop. I know four bottles of soju won’t make you drunk…but if you keep on going like this…”

 

Hoseok whined. “But why…? I’m happy. I’m happy that the dance crew I performed with are doing well…I’m glad that my former students are doing well too…everyone is doing well…I am celebrating their success…”

 

“Then you should celebrate their success with them, not me,” Taehyung pointed out.

 

“I can’t…” Hoseok murmured.

 

“Because you’re blind in one eye…and because you’re about to lose your sight in the other…and you feel like you don’t fit it any longer…you think they mind your disability…”

 

Hoseok remained silent.

 

“And to think you advised Jungkook about leaning on another people…hyung…you don’t take your own advice…how can you even set an example for Jungkook or preach to him?”

 

“The matters are different! We’re different!” Hoseok said defiantly.  “I’m asking him to open up to people, but my situation is about me turning blind…it is about me being a burden to other people…”

 

“How are things different? From what I gather, it’s about not wanting to be seen as weak…and imposing oneself…and one’s disability on others…” Taehyung pointed out. 

 

“I’m going to be disabled. I can’t do the things which I once could do. Even the simple things…like looking at people’s faces…seeing colours…I can’t do that much longer. It’s crushing to have something…and then have it taken away from you,” Hoseok winced. “It’s frustrating. But there’s nothing I can do about it. I have learnt to accept it. But there are times…there are times…when you just…can’t…and you don’t want to…to be…so…strong…”

 

This is exactly how I feel, Taehyung thought. Except you will be the cause of it.

 

“And they are doing so well without me. It’s as though I never existed…and I don’t matter anymore,” Hoseok grimaced.

 

“Rubbish! Why do you demean yourself? You were part of the crew which won the competition two years ago, right? It was a group effort, but you played your part. If you didn’t do your best in contributing, they wouldn’t have won…” Taehyung reasoned gently.

 

“But they have moved on…to better things…while…I’m…” Hoseok choked on his emotions. “Stagnant…”

 

“Why do you even think that hyung? You’re doing a lot of good things. You’re encouraging towards Jungkook. Heck you perform in a music band. You volunteer at the orphanage. You try to bring hope to others…”

 

“And yet I’m the hopeless one…yet…I want to be everyone else’s hope…” Hoseok lowered his head.

 

It probably wasn’t the time to try to knock sense into Hoseok, Taehyung thought.

 

Hoseok continued to pour himself more soju until the bottle was empty. He wanted to ask for another bottle but Taehyung stopped the ahjumma by indicating that Hoseok was drunk. Hoseok was slightly tipsy but not intoxicated. Just that he was emotional and highly strung. Drinking would only make things even worse.

 

“Come on hyung, let’s go home,” Taehyung got up and dragged Hoseok up with him to the counter to pay the bill.

 

“I want to go party,” Hoseok whined as they stepped out of the restaurant.

 

“No. I’m going to get you home,” Taehyung insisted.

 

“No. I’m the older one. I should be the one seeing you home instead,” Hoseok countered.

 

“You don’t need to see me home. You’ve drunk quite a bit. You should get some rest at home. I’m still okay,” Taehyung said firmly.

 

They managed to hail a cab and Hoseok gave his address. The journey to Hoseok’s home was silent.

 

“Thank you V,” Hoseok smiled as the cab came to a stop.

 

“For…”

 

“Listening to me rant…for caring about my welfare…you’re a good person. I’m glad I got to meet you. Good night V. Text me when you’re back to let me know you’re safe.”

 

……

 

And as V rode home still clutching the bills Hoseok left for him to pay for his cab fare, he felt a little sorry for Hoseok. The boy with the infectious laugh, who looks so optimistic and jovial, who wants to be everyone’s hope – is actually sad and pitiful. Taehyung didn’t expect Hoseok will show this vulnerable side of him to Taehyung. Taehyung’s mind kept replaying Hoseok’s words of the pain of having something and losing it. Yes, he understands how that feels, and as much he wants to sympathise with Hoseok, Taehyung can’t do so. He has to harden and steel himself, because sympathising with Hoseok will mean he will be putting himself in Hoseok’s position – having something and losing it.

 

Taehyung clenched his teeth. He can do it. He has to do it. He has to make Hoseok fall for him and then get him to sign the letter. When that is done, he will leave Hoseok. Even if it crushes Hoseok completely, so be it…because life isn’t fair.

 

Yes, he will do just that. 

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Happy New Year everyone - to my readers and subscribers. Ok, it's been 10 days, the year isn't so new. I'm back in Melbourne to continue with my studies. I still have a bit of free time on my hands so I can still update this story. Will get totally busy from Februrary to mid-April onwards. Still I will try to get as much as I could possibly do on this story so that there will be updates (albeit less frequent) during the busy period. 

 

Sorry if this chaper has no JiKook. This chapter is focused on VHope. 

 

I hope you like this chapter about VHope. I think you guys will feel sad for Hobi right? Do you think V is really a bad guy here? Do you empathise with V? How do you think their relationship will progress?

 

Thanks for all the comments and subscriptions and keep them coming. Meanwhile, please continue to leave me your comments. I love reading comments, and miss having them. And if you have yet to subscribe to this story, please subscribe to it. Thank you. 

 

Also please check out my Meanie (Seventeen Mingyu + Wonwoo) fanfiction - Finding Eden

 

If you have not read my completed stories, do check out Heaven's Boys and Kyumin: 60 days for an emotional read