Jeon Jungkook Part II

That year, the Sun Shines

Jin directed Jungkook to the sofa and motioned for Jungkook to take a seat. Jin headed to his desk to pick up Jungkook’s file and a pen before taking a seat next to Jungkook. Jin likes to keep his sessions with Jungkook informal as he found it a better way to reach out to the teenage Jungkook.  

“So Jungkookie, how have you been?” Jin asked. His voice was warm and laced with care and concern.

“Pretty good Dr Jin,” Jungkook replied brightly, and gave Jin a wide smile.

Jin dropped his file on the coffee table and threw his hands up in mock exasperation. “You brat! How many times have I told you not to call me Dr Jin? God forbid. Don’t ever associate me with that horrible mess of that drama. It gives me a bad name! Hell no! Call me Jin-hyung, or hyung, but don’t ever call me Dr Jin.”

Jungkook chuckled, and Jin broke out into a laugh seeing Jungkook looking happy and relaxed.  

He reached for Jungkook’s file, and flipped to the back pages. He quickly studied the contents and smiled, “Everything seems fine from the last test results. That’s a good sign Jungkookie. Have you been feeling any discomfort recently?”

Jungkook shook his head.

Jin scribbled in his file. “You’ve been taking your medication daily, have you?”

Jungkook nodded.

That’s good.

“Jin-hyung,” Jungkook cautiously asked, “If I’m okay, will it be alright for me to dance?”

“Jungkookie, you know you can’t right?” Jin heaved a sigh. “You would be over-exerting yourself.”

Jungkook’s doe-eyed expression fell in an instant. “I’m so sorry Jungkookie.”

“It’s not your fault Jin-hyung.”

“Jungkookie,” Jin asked earnestly, “do you really want to dance that much?”

“It seems fun. My schoolmates seem to be enjoying themselves. I really want to join them. I want to be artiste. I want to be able to sing and dance and entertain my audience.”

“Well, you could always do ballads,” Jin encouraged. “Look at me, I’m smart and all, but I can’t dance. Shall I demonstrate?”

Jin stood up and tried to move his limbs, though he came across more like a policeman trying to direct traffic with his stiff movements.

Jungkook broke into a hearty laugh much to a visibly relieved Jin who quickly resumed his position next to Jungkook. The sight of a handsome Jin in his doctor’s coat flailing his arms with his cost flapping about was really too hilarious for Jungkook to bear. It didn’t help that Jin wore a serious expression and it further amused Jungkook.

No matter what, Jin was still flawless in Jungkook’s eyes as he gazed at a seemingly embarrassed Jin who was distracting himself by scribbling notes in the file.

“Jin-hyung, you’re a doctor, you don’t need to know how to dance,” Jungkook pointed out.

“But I want to look cool and attract…” Jin was hesitating whether to finish his sentence, but was cut off by Jungkook. 

“But you’re already so cool and attractive,” Jungkook mumbled, but was loud enough for Jin to hear.

Jin looked up from the file and noticed Jungkook gazing somewhat dreamily at Jin. “Aww, does Jungkookie have a crush on me?”

Jungkook looked down in embarrassment. He could feel heat creeping up his face.

“It’s okay to admit it Jungkookie. I won’t laugh at you. Besides it’s not a romantic crush, right?” Jin smiled warmly and reassuringly at Jungkook.

Jungkook nodded. “I really look up to you Jin-hyung. I really wish I could be like you if I ever do get to your age. Successful with a nice caring personality.”

Jin could sense the little heartbreak and worry in Jungkook not being able to live past his twenties. “Thanks Jungkookie. You really made my day.”

“But Jin-hyung, that’s a fact. And you’re really handsome.”

“What about the boy waiting out there? Do you think he’s good-looking or attractive?” Jin thought this was a good opportunity to test the waters on how Jungkook would react to the boy.

“I…I…don’t…know… Jungkook stuttered. “He seems like a nice guy. The way he smiles…the way his eyes sparkle. Is he one of your patients Jin-hyung? He looks so young…and way too happy to be sick though…”

“Is Jungkookie interested in him?”

“No…” Jungkook spluttered. “I mean. I’m just wondering if he suffers any heart disease. It is pretty sad if he’s in the same condition as I am in…”

“Jungkookie, are you upset about your condition…?”

“Sometimes. But I’ve learnt to live with it. Still, it’s not a nice feeling…” Jungkook trailed off as he was at a loss for words.

“He’s a kid from the orphanage where I work at sometimes. He has arrived not too long ago in Seoul.”

Jungkook nodded.

“Do you want to know him?”

Jungkook shook his head.

“Still shy as ever?”

Jungkook did not respond. Jin paused for a while before he continued, “Jungkookie, it’s good to have friends, maybe even a girlfriend or…”

Jin paused for a moment, cleared his throat, and whispered, “Or a boyfriend.”

Jungkook did not react.

Pointing to Jungkook’s heart, Jin said warmly, “Just as the physical heart needs medication to keep it functioning, the emotional aspect needs love, friendship and care for it to function too.”

“Thanks hyung. Your friendship and care really helps me a lot. I can’t be greedy as to ask for someone to love me. After all, who would want to date a guy who is sick…and might die anytime?”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jin walked Jungkook out of the room. He gave Jungkook a hug telling Jungkook to call him if he ever feels unwell, and to remember to drop by in about six to eight weeks to a follow-up. Jin then motioned for the other boy to follow him into the room. And once again, the mysterious boy smiled at Jungkook as he passed the latter.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was about a quarter past five. Jungkook’s mum would only be able to pick up him at six. Since Jungkook hated staying the hospital, he decided to head over to the park just opposite the hospital to sit down and relax. He found a bench, plonked himself down and pulled out his headphones to listen to music. As he settled in comfortably, Jungkook reached for his sketchbook and pencil in his backpack. He flipped to an empty page. The image of Jin dancing was still imprinted in his mind. He thought about His ‘Bulletproof’ characters. He would portray Jin in a cool pose. He etched out the lines to Jin’s visage and defined jawline, his neatly swept hair. Jungkook was so engrossed in his work that he didn’t notice someone standing in front of him. It was only when he felt that his light source was being blocked did Jungkook look up to see a boy radiating a smile at him.

It was the same boy from Jin’s clinic. What was he doing here? Why was he holding two ice cream cones in his hand? Satisfied that he had gotten Jungkook’s attention, the boy began to mouth some words which Jungkook couldn’t hear through the music. Jungkook took off his headphones.

“Here, have an ice cream cone,” the smiley boy offered as he handed the chocolate cone over to Jungkook.

“But I didn’t ask for one,” Jungkook protested. He was pretty shocked at the stranger’s gesture. Why would a strange boy offer him an ice cream?

The boy noticed Jungkook’s hesitation. He held out the ice cream. “Go on, take it. Well, I originally ordered chocolate, but when I realised they had green tea, I wanted the green tea instead. But the seller had already prepared the chocolate…that’s how I ended up with two.”

“Why me?”

“Because you were the first person I saw. Because you were alone. Because no one could reject ice cream ever,” the boy chirped. “I hope you like chocolate because I’m not giving you the green tea.”

Jungkook sighed and took the ice cream from the boy and uttered his thanks. Just as Jungkook thought the boy would leave after giving him the ice cream, the boy unexpectedly took a seat next to Jungkook and began at his cone.

Jungkook was a little annoyed that the boy encroached into his space without asking for his permission. But this was a public place after all. He couldn’t stop this boy from sitting next to him. But there were so many other seats around. Why doesn’t he understand that I want to be left alone?

Jungkook was about the put his headphones on again when the boy exclaimed, “Hey that person in the drawing, he looks familiar…”

Jungkook quickly closed his sketchbook in embarrassment. His sketchbook was somewhat equivalent to a diary. It was somewhat personal and he did not want to show its contents to anyone, not yet at least.

“It looks like Dr Jin. It is Dr Jin. Daebak! Wow! It’s exactly him. Well, maybe not 100 percent, but at least 80 percent. You draw really well. The features and all…you pretty much nailed them. You must show it to Dr Jin sometime.”

Wow, he sure is noisy, Jungkook thought to himself as he took another at his ice cream. And no, Jungkook wasn’t plan on going to show the drawing to Jin, but he kept quiet about that.

“OMG! Did I just use Dr Jin again?” the boy chattered incessantly as he turned his head to scan his surroundings. “Phew. He isn’t here. He would go smack my head and get melodramatic about it, ‘How many times have I told you not to call me Dr Jin? God forbid. Don’t ever…’”

“…associate me with that horrible mess of that drama.” Jungkook unexpectedly chimed in with the strange boy.

“Wow! You know that too? So I guess you call him Dr Jin too? Did he smack you on your head? I just can’t help it. It’s a habit…” the boy kept on chattering. Jungkook acted nonchalant and continued to his ice cream.

Suddenly he felt an electrifying sensation rip through his whole body. It was a spine-tingling sensation. He felt that the entire universe paused at that instant. He felt his lips had brush against something soft. His doe-eyes widened when he realised that the boy’s lips was gently brushing on the side of his (Jungkook’s lips). His eyes fluttered. It took him a few seconds to regain his composure. By the time, he did so, the boy was back to his own ice cream.

“What was that?” Jungkook demanded.

“I swear I wasn’t trying to take advantage of you. I just noticed the part which I tooka   from was melting pretty fast and was about to drip onto your sketchbook. I didn’t want the book to be stained…so I…” he gushed.

“You could have just used a tissue or something,” Jungkook rebuked. He clearly wasn’t happy with the boy’s explanation.

“I don’t have any tissue with me. Besides is much faster…don’t you think…?”

Jungkook rolled his eyes. That was just a lame excuse, he thought. Jungkook didn’t say a word and quickly finished the rest of his cone. The boy seemed to have quietened down. He was also finishing up the rest of his ice-cream.

“Thank you,” Jungkook muttered.

“Hmm…?” the boy replied.

“Nothing…” Jungkook murmured. “I mean…thanks for the ice cream.”

The boy had finished his ice cream. He turned to Jungkook with a bright smile which made his eyes turn into slits.

“My pleasure, Jeon Jungkookie.”

It took Jungkook a few moments to process what had just happened. How did this boy know his name? And why is he calling him so intimately? No one calls him Jungkookie except for his parents and Jin.

And as if it was as though the boy could read his thoughts, he said, “Your nametag. It says Jeon Jungkook. You’re from Seoul High School for Performing Arts. And I think Jungkookie is a cute name that suits a cute boy like you.”

Jungkook could feel a hot flush on his cheeks. It was weird enough that a stranger has called him Jungkookie. What made it weirder was that the stranger called him cute.

“Park Jimin-imnida. I’m older than you, so you can call me Jimin-hyung or hyung.” 

“Why should I call you hyung? What makes you think you are older? I could be older than you. Show me some ID.” Jungkook retorted.

Jimin didn’t know whether to be amused or offended. He probably thought of Jungkook as going through a teenage rebellion phase. Plus Jimin was a rather patient person and has a high threshold of tolerance, and he did not really want to show any ID.

“You’re still a high school student. I have completed high school,” Jimin beamed proudly.

“It’s just based on what you say. There’s no concrete proof…”

Jungkook is one stubborn kid, Jimin thought. But I can’t show him any ID.

Jungkook was looking smugly at Jimin as if to prove his point. Jungkook was about to say something when his handphone rang and he quickly took the call. Judging from Jungkook’s look and short replies, it seemed he wasn’t too happy about the call.

“I’ve got to go Jimin-ssi. It was nice meeting you,” Jungkook stated as he quickly packed his sketch book into his bag, stood up from the seat and quickened his pace without awaiting a response from Jimin.

But a couple of steps later, Jungkook started to feel breathless. His footsteps grew laborious.

Not now, please, Jungkook panicked. He wanted to get away from Park Jimin as soon as possible. And now he would look weak in front of this weird guy. He could hear Jimin break towards him and calling out ‘Jungkookie’. Jungkook cringed at the nickname. He very much wanted to escape, but he could not. If only a hole would open and swallow him at the moment – that would not be too bad.

Soon, Jungkook found a very concerned Jimin by his side and fussing all over him. “Do you need to go to the hospital? Do you need me to call Dr Jin?”

Jungkook shook his head. “Home,” he whispered weakly.

“I get it. I’ll go grab a cab. Wait, the cab can’t stop here.”

“I…can…manage…”

“I can’t leave you all by yourself. Dr Jin will…” Jimin halted himself in time before he could say more. Fortunately Jungkook did not pick manage to pick up anything he said. Jimin squatted down. “Jungkookie, can you get unto my back?”

Jimin shot Jungkook a pleading look which melted Jungkook’s indifference. Jungkook gingerly ascended Jimin’s back and they made their way to the roadside. Jungkook felt warm. The body heat radiating from Jimin had a calming effect on the younger. He nuzzled in closer to Jimin. Jimin was too worried to notice. He wanted to hail a taxi as soon as possible and get Jungkook home as soon as possible. “Jungkookie, hang on in there.”

Luckily for the both of them, a taxi didn’t take too long to appear. During the ride, Jungkook fell asleep on Jimin’s shoulder. Jimin grasped Jungkook’s hands tightly as a form of comfort and reassurance. Jimin studied the features of Jungkook’s face. He wanted to use his free hand to trace the contours of Jungkook’s peaceful face. His nose may be a little big, but he was overall, really cute.

“This is the boy…this is the boy…” Jimin thought to himself. “Can I even go through with this?”

His thoughts were broken when the vehicle pulled to a stop and the driver announcing that they have arrived at the destination.

“Jungkookie,” Jimin gently nudged the younger. “We’re home.”

Jungkook stirred. He was feeling much better and less weak. At least, he was able to move on his own. He exited from the cab and was surprised that Jimin followed suit.

“What are you doing? Is this about the cab fare?” Jungkook asked bitingly. He reached for the wallet in his pants pocket.

Jimin felt a little hurt at Jungkook’s rant, but he didn’t show it. He just kept his smile. “I just wanted to make sure that you’re okay.”

“I’m okay. I’m back to my normal self as you can see. Now go.”

“I just did you a favour. Shouldn’t you invite me in for a drink?”

“No. Just go.” Jungkook frowned and replied curtly. But he immediately regretted his words. Why was he acting this way? Why does he have to act like a rude, rebellious and ungrateful teenager? His expression softened a little and he mumbled, “Alright. You can come in. But only for a while.”

Jimin nodded and followed Jungkook in.

“Take a seat,” Jungkook pointed at the couch. “What do you want?”

“Do you have green tea? I feel like having something hot.”

Jungkook nodded.

“Jungkookie?”

“Ne?”

“If it is too much trouble for you, just get me a glass of water.”

Jungkook shrugged. “I’m fine. I won’t die from making a cup of tea.”

As Jungkook went to get a drink for Jimin, Jimin took out his headphones to listen to music. It took Jungkook a while before he returned with a hot steaming cup of green tea. Jimin took off his headphones and placed them on the sofa.

“Sorry for taking so long. I needed to boil water.”

“It’s alright,” Jimin took a sip of the tea. “Wow, it’s good.”

"Of course it is. It’s not those teabag kinds but real green tea powder. My mum brought it from Japan.”

Jimin nodded.

They didn’t say anything to one another after that. Jimin merely sipped his tea while Jungkook just lazed in the sofa. But it wasn’t really uncomfortable.

Soon, Jimin finished his tea. He stood up. “Thanks Jungkookie. I should keep my word and get going. Have a good rest Jungkookie.”

Jungkook walked Jimin to the door. “Do you know your way out of here? I can walk you…”

Jimin waved his handphone at Jungkook. “Thanks Jungkookie. You better get some rest. I’ll rely on my GPS.”

Jungkook nodded. He was surprised at his own offer to Jimin. He was acting out of character to a stranger he barely knew.

When he returned to clear the cup from the coffee table, Jungkook noticed that Jimin had left his headphones behind. How could he be so careless? Jungkook sighed. What was he going to do with them? He didn’t know how to contact Jimin. He didn’t want to contact Jimin either. Perhaps he could leave them with Jin-hyung. That’s what he will do as Jungkook picked up the headphones and headed up to his room.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was two in the morning but Jungkook was able to get to sleep. He was physically exhausted but his mind was still alert. He was thinking about what happened during the day. First, he met a boy at Jin’s clinic who had a sparkling smile and starry eyes. That same boy whom Jungkook would find out to be Park Jimin and claimed to be older than him (Jungkook) bought him ice cream, called him cute, carried him on his back and took him home. And Jungkook was more surprised at himself for letting his guard down, and acting less prickly around Jimin.

Jungkook his bedside lamp. He noticed the headphones on his desk. He couldn’t but help be reminded of its owner.

Park Jimin, who are you? What are you? Why do I feel weird?

He got up from his bed and headed to his desk to get his sketchbook and pencils. He returned to his bed, closed his eyes for a moment and pictured Jimin inside his head.

That smile. The smile which can melt hearts. The smile which never left his face no matter what words Jungkook against him. The twinkle in his soulful eyes.

Jungkook opened his eyes and stared at the headphones. He closed his eyes again. He could picture Jimin listening to music and looking all excited and happy.

Unknowingly, Jungkook started to sketch out the contours of Jimin’s face…

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So here's the update guys and gals. Yup. It's a long chapter and takes about a week to write. I hope you like this update. 

Did you enjoy the moments between Jin and Jungkook? Do you like the JiKook moments? Can you totally imagine Jin in a doctor's coat...and dancing? If you've seen the Dope pics. Wow. Jin certainly looks dashing and handsome in the coat right? 

Anyway I just attended the Red Bullet concert in Sydney on Friday. It was just perfect. I really love Jimin, Jungkook and Jin. V too...and the rest of them. They sang all my favorite songs. The energy level was just there. Just atmospheric. I really miss the boys. Cute Jimin. Handsome Jin. Hated the sound system though. Has anyone of you attended the Red Bullet concert? 

Okay back to the story, does anyone want to wager a guess about Jimin? 

Meanwhile, please comment and subscribe to the story. Comments are really appreciated. They are my motivation for writing. Enjoy.