Seeing the other party home

That year, the Sun Shines

It was past midnight when Jimin stepped into his shared apartment with Taehyung. Taehyung was curled up on the sofa watching television. Jimin plopped down next to Taehyung.

 

“So did you get your headphones back?” Taehyung asked.

 

Jimin shook his head and sighed.

 

“He didn’t invite you in?”

 

“Nah…and I didn’t want to press it either. It was getting late…”

 

“You should have insisted, and get into his house and take him there and then. Make him yours. Make him submit to you. After all his parents weren’t around,” Taehyung grinned.

 

Jimin choked and spluttered. “OMG! Taetae! How could you say such a thing? The boy is so cute, innocent and pure…”

 

“His entire being screams frustration, tension and repression. is probably what he needs,” Taehyung crackled. “And you Jiminie can probably satisfy his needs.”

 

Jimin’s jaw dropped. And there was a look of horror in his face. “Are you really Taetae? Are you drunk or has an alien really taken possession of your body and brain?”

 

Taehyung smacked Jimin lightly on his head. “It’s me, alright. Can’t you take a joke?”

 

“But talking about ual stuff about Jungkookie is taking things a bit too far…”

 

Taehyung jovial expression was replaced by a more serious one. He was probably in one of his perspective moods. “Jiminie, he sure needs some physical love. And you can provide him with that.”

 

“Stop it Taetae…”

 

“But you know, I’m kind of glad he is still hanging onto the headphones. And he’s really cute Jiminie…”

 

“But I’m not gay…” Jimin protested.

 

“Just gay for Jeon Jungkook,” Taehyung winked.

 

Jimin scoffed. “So how did your time with J Hope go?”

 

Taehyung rolled his eyes. “I swear that guy is on drugs or something. For someone who has lost his sight in one eye and about to lose his sight in the other, he seems too happy, cheerful and optimistic for his own good…it irritates me… and he talks non-stop.”

 

“Well, you wanted him to send you home,” Jimin pointed out.

 

“Tell me about it,” Taehyung sighed. “And I had to pretend I was interested in his music. But at least we have exchanged contacts. So I can start putting my plans into action.”

 

“Does he even like guys in the first place?”

 

“Doesn’t matter if he does or doesn’t. I have to make him fall for me,” Taehyung said.

 

………….

 

So the four boys found themselves at a barbecue restaurant digging into grilled meats. Jungkook was really careful with his diet though.

 

Jimin noticed Jungkook wasn’t eating much while Taehyung and Hoseok were gobbling their food like there was no tomorrow while having a loud, animated conversation which was focused on Hoseok’s group. “Jungkookie, are you okay? You’re not really eating much.”

 

“I’m fine Jimin. I can’t really eat a lot.”

 

“Is he always this bratty?” Taehyung asked Hoseok.

 

“Kookie?”

 

Taehyung nodded. “I mean he refuses to address Jiminie as hyung.”

 

Hoseok ruffled Jungkook’s hair which earned a scowl from the boy.

 

“Kookie is just being Kookie,” Hoseok shrugged and laughed. “See how he reacts towards me. I bet he dislikes calling me hyung…but Kookie is really a good kid. He’s just shy and a little inexpressive at times. And he is going through puberty. So mood swings and all, Right, Kookie?”

 

Jungkook merely picked at the piece of meat on his plate with his chopsticks without responding to Hoseok.

 

Hoseok merely laughed at Jungkook’s behaviour.

 

“How do you know Jungkook?” Taehyung asked. “Both of you have different characters. It’s hard to associate both of you as friends.”

 

“Well…I got to know Jungkook through his hyung.”

 

Jimin and Taehyung looked with interest at Hoseok.

 

“We were in the same middle and high school. And we hung out together pretty often. Well, we did a lot of volunteering work together – we volunteered at an orphanage before.”

 

The word orphanage cut close to heart for Jimin and Taehyung. Their expressions turned downcast for a brief moment.

 

“Are you guys okay?” Hoseok asked.

 

“We’re good,” Taehyung hurriedly explained.

 

“So one day his hyung brought Jungkook along to the orphanage to volunteer. He would come pretty often with his hyung,” Hoseok continued. “Kookie is really good with the kids. He would tell the kids stories, sing for or with the kids, teach the kids how to draw. Of course he can’t do strenuous stuff, but the kids love him. He’s really different from what the Kookie you see right now. But you know what Kookie, why haven’t you been volunteering for the last few months? The kids missed you.”

 

Jungkook shrugged.

 

“Is it because your hyung is not here?” Hoseok asked.

 

Jungkook nodded.

 

“You still have me, your Hobi-hyung.”

 

“I know,” Jungkook murmured.

 

“Your hyung told me to keep an eye and take care of you. I’m sorry I had been busy for the last few months to…”

 

“It’s alright, Hobi-hyung.”

 

"Jungkookie mentioned to me once that his hyung is studying overseas," Jimin remarked. 

 

“That's right. I think Kookie misses his hyung. They communicate also everyday. Kookie is really attached to his hyung,” Hoseok explained. "Right Kookie?" 

 

Jungkook merely nodded. 

 

Hoseok clapped his hands and exclaimed. “You know what? I have a great idea! Kookie, I’m visiting the orphanage next Saturday. Will you come together with me? Jimin-ssi and V-ssi, will you guys be willing to come along to help? It doesn’t matter if you don’t have any experience. Just come and play with the kids. If you can sing, dance, or have any skill – that will be an additional bonus.”

 

However, the looks on the three boys hardened and they stared at Hoseok. Hoseok was a little surprised at their reactions.

 

“What’s with the faces? Why do you look so unwilling? It’s for a good cause. Come on guys…” Hoseok pleaded. “Think of the kids.”

 

Jimin glanced at Taehyung. Jimin really wanted to go and help and Jimin was awaiting Taehyung’s approval.

 

“Alright, we’ll do it. Jiminie and I will be there,” Taehyung replied with his broad smile. “Jimmie is pretty good with kids. I’m sure he will be helpful.”

 

“Great. What about you Kookie? Some of them have been asking about their Jungkook-hyung or Jungkook oppa. Can you bear to disappoint them?”

 

“Alright, I’ll come,” Jungkook groaned in defeat.

 

Hoseok clapped his hands enthusiastically with a beaming smile. “On behalf of the kids, I thank you guys for your efforts and time.”

 

“Jimin-ssi, V-ssi, I’ll text you the address and the time to meet. Kookie, you do remember how to get there, do you?”

 

Jungkook nodded.

 

They continued dinner with Hoseok mostly chatting about his band and Taehyung pretending to be interested by asking questions. Jungkook was silent and Jimin too was uncharacteristically quiet. It was almost nearing eleven when they finished dinner. Hoseok glanced at his watch and exclaimed in surprise at the time. 

 

“Omo! I didn’t realise it’s that late. Time passes quickly when you’re having fun with friends.”

 

“Should we get going? I don’t mind staying out until late at some bar or something But Kookie here is underage,” Hoseok chuckled which earned a scowl from Jungkook.

 

“We should get Kookie home. He shouldn’t stay out so late. It’s not good for his health. Jimin-ssi, can you send Kookie home?” Hoseok fished out his wallet and handed some bills over to Jimin.

 

“Hoseok-hyung, what is this?” Jimin was surprised as he quickly returned the bills to Hoseok. “I can send Jungkookie home, but what is the money for?”

 

“For you guys to catch a cab back,” Hoseok said.

 

“I can’t accept your money, hyung.”

 

“Hyung, I can get home on my own. Don’t worry about me. Let’s not trouble Jimin,” Jungkook protested. “You guys should all go somewhere to enjoy the rest of the evening.”

 

“Kookie…” Hoseok said gently. “I’m just concerned about you.”

 

“But I’m fine, hyung!” Jungkook insisted. There was a sense of irritation in his tone. “I know I’m sick. I know I have some heart disease. I know I can die any moment. But that doesn’t mean I’m some porcelain doll…so fragile and would break without anyone taking care of me. You don’t have to be so overprotective over me. I’m fine on my own. I don’t need help.”

 

Taehyung and Jimin exchanged glances at one another at Jungkook’s outburst.

 

“Kookie, I’m not trying to baby you or something, but your parents aren’t in. And your relatives aren’t here. Heck, I would even move in with you…to make sure you’re okay…you know how much your hyung loves you…he’s my good friend…you’re a dongsaeng that I love and treasure too.”

 

“It’s okay hyung. It’s not the first time they have left me alone…”

 

Hoseok, Jimin and Taehyung felt their insides twist when they heard those words. They felt really sorry for Jungkook, but they know that they should not show it in order to prevent Jungkook from feeling more hurt.

 

“Aish! I wish I can drive. Then I can send you home. But my stupid eyes…if only I wasn’t blind in one eye…and about to lose my sight in the other…” Hoseok grumbled.

 

“Hobi-hyung…I’m sorry,” Jungkook murmured. He felt really guilty that Hoseok had to mention his disability.

 

“It’s alright Kookie,” Hoseok smiled. “I know how you feel Kookie. I know how it feels to live with a disability. I know that you don’t want to accept help because it will make you seem weak. I know you want to be seen as independent. But there are times when we have to accept help…need a shoulder to lean on…”

 

Turning to Jimin and Taehyung, Hoseok said, “You guys must be in shock to know about my condition.”

 

Taehyung and Jimin were not surprised since they were already aware of Hoseok’s condition, but they pretended to look surprise.

 

“I couldn’t tell,” Taehyung said.

 

Jimin nodded.

 

Hoseok shrugged, “Well, I just want to appear as normal as possible.”

 

“Hoseok hyung,” Jimin spoke up. “I’ll send Jungkookie home.”

 

“Thanks Jimin-ssi. Please accept the taxi fare…”

 

“Hyung, that’s okay…”

 

“But…”

 

“Hyung, can you send Taetae home for me? He’s not familiar with Seoul…”

 

“You guys aren’t local?”

 

“We’ve just gotten to Seoul a few months ago,” Jimin explained.

 

“But if you send Kookie home, will you know your way home? It’s already so late.”

 

“Don’t worry. I know my way home. I’ve been to his home before.”

 

“Oh,” Hoseok glanced at Jungkook and Jimin with curiosity. “Kookie doesn’t invite people to his house.”

 

Jimin laughed awkwardly as he noticed Jungkook turning red in his face. The younger clearly looked displeased. “That’s…a…long story. Perhaps another time.” 

 

Hoseok responded with a hearty laugh and did not press on further.

 

……………………………

 

Hoseok urged Jimin and Jungkook to board the first cab that came their way, saying that he and Taehyung would catch the next available cab – it was more important to get the youngest home. Jimin noticed Jungkook was trying to stifle his yawns. Jungkook was rubbing his eyes. His eyes appeared watery.

 

Jimin found out from the driver that it would take about 30 minutes to get from the location to Jungkook’s home.

 

“Jungkookie,” Jimin said gently.

 

“Mm…” the younger responded.

 

“If you’re tired, you can lay your head on my shoulders,” Jimin offered.

 

Normally, the prideful Jungkook would come up with a rejoinder…perhaps something along the lines of Jimin being shorter and it would be uncomfortable for Jungkook to rest on. But Jungkook remembered Hoseok’s advice of having a shoulder to lean on. This was probably one of those times when he could literally use to a shoulder to lean on. Without a word of protest, Jungkook rested his head on Jimin’s shoulder with the older boy his hair. And as Jungkook dozed off, he inhaled Jimin’s scent. Was that the body wash Jimin used? Or was that his natural scent? It didn’t matter because it was comforting. It was as though his real hyung was just next to him. It was comforting to Jungkook to know that he wasn’t alone. But there was something just so Jimin that was just comforting – more than just his scent – perhaps it was his fluffiness. Jungkook didn’t want to think that much. He just wanted to let his mind be at peace.

 

…………………….

 

Jimin and Jungkook lingered outside Jungkook’s house for a while. It was so unexpected that at the end of the day, Jimin still ended up outside Jungkook’s house.

 

It was Jimin who broke the silence, “Jungkookie, will you be fine being alone?”

 

“I’m fine. What’s the worse that you could happen? My heart stops. I die. No one finds out about it until my parents get back. That time my body would be decomposing, and infested with maggots…the odour from my rotting corpse…”

 

And Jimin looked genuinely terrified at Jungkook’s description. Jungkook swore that he noticed Jimin shudder. Jimin was about to speak but Jungkook quickly cut in, “I’m really fine. That’s not going to happen. I’ve been left alone by myself before. And I’m still talking to you.”

 

Jungkook forced a laugh to lighten the situation.

 

“Do you want me to stay with you? I could sleep on the couch…” Jimin asked with a hint of concern in his voice.

 

“I’m fine. Give me your handphone,” Jungkook said.

 

Jimin complied and Jungkook tapped on the screen. “I’ve just saved my number on your phone. If you’re worried about me dying and decomposing, just give me a call in the afternoon to check on me.”

 

Jimin was surprised by Jungkook's actions, and merely nodded.

 

“It’s late Jimin. You should go home. Your friend might be worried,” Jungkook said as he turned away from Jimin and walked towards his house entrance. He halted after a few steps and turned around, “Goodnight Jimin. Thanks for sending me home.”

 

“Goodnight Jungkookie,” the older replied.

 

…………………………………

 

Jungkook and Jimin departed in a cab leaving Taehyung and Hoseok behind. Taehyung turned to Hoseok and told the latter that it was not necessary to send him home. But Hoseok merely asked Taehyung where Taehyung lived, and casually remarked that it was on the way to Hoseok’s home when Hoseok obtained Taehyung’s answer. Hoseok also said that since he promised Jimin to send Taehyung home, he would have to keep his promise. Taehyung was secretly pleased with Jimin. This would allow him more opportunities with Hoseok.

 

A cab arrived not too long after. The first moments of the cab journey was pretty quiet as none of them uttered a word. Taehyung decided to make some small talk with Hoseok. “So Hysterie Friday has been formed for two years now and you guys have a good number of fans, how does it feel to be successful?”

 

Hoseok laughed. “Successful…wow…that’s such a big word to use. We never intended to seek success. We thought it would be fun doing music…jamming together. I love my mates. We’ve been together since middle school. And they’re accepting of my disability.”

 

“Is music your dream?”

 

“Yup,” Hoseok replied. “Even if I go blind, I still want to do music. It’s going to be hard. I probably won’t be able to be as energetic as I am right now on stage, but I’m not going to give up. So now I’m just going be as energetic as I can on stage when I still can.”

 

Hoseok continued talking about the his band, s, their love for music. 

 

“Aren’t you angry about going blind?” Taehyung suddenly asked. 

 

“I was. It was when my parents told me that my sight was degenerating. They knew about it since I was kid. But they only broke the news to me when I was 12 or 13. I would lose the sight in one eye by the time I turn 16. I’ve been told I would lose the sight in my other eye by the time I turn 22. I was angry for a while, saw a shrink about it. But slowly I grew to accept this inevitability. I decided that I want to live to my fullest and to take in all the sights that I can see when I still can – do the things I can do while I still can. Life still has hope even though there is darkness. So I nicknamed myself J Hope. I want to be my own hope. I want to bring hope to others. So some of our songs express hope…. Even if we talk about injustice, we try act a glimmer of hope…”

 

“Are you scared of going blind?” Taehyung probed.

 

“I would be lying if I say I wouldn’t be,” Hoseok replied honestly.

 

“If there’s a chance to regain your eyesight back, would you want that?”

 

“I would. If I get a suitable donor who after his or her death is willing to donate their organs to me… but no fuss about it. I’m at peace with going blind. I’ve learnt Braille.”

 

“So you never thought of trying to find ways and means to restore your sight?”

 

“Nah, I’m already at peace with what will happen.”

 

Taehyung nodded.

 

“Let’s not talk about me and this whole going blind thing. It’s a pretty depressing first conversation. Let’s talk about you instead.”

 

Taehyung’s eyes arched up in surprise. He was not prepared to talk about himself “Me…me…what about me?”

 

“I don’t know. Anything…”

 

“Um…um…um…” Taehyung stuttered. He did not know what to talk about himself. He is a clone. His existence has been a sham. Luckily for him, before Hoseok could probe further, the taxi pulled into a familiar road which Taehyung recognised. “I’m nearing my home.”

 

“That’s a shame. I would really want to know more about you V-ssi. But we have a next time, right? You and Jimin-ssi will help out at the orphanage next Saturday, right?”

 

Taehyung nodded. “We’ll be there. Do we need to prepare anything?”

 

“It could be great if you can sing, dance, play instruments, read stories or do anything that can entertain the kids. Otherwise, just come along and play with them. The kids don’t ask for very much. Most importantly you come with a loving and sincere heart and ready to have fun with the kids.”

 

Taehyung noticed that Hoseok’s eyes sparkle when he talked about the children.

 

“You really like helping out at the orphanage,” Taehyung remarked.

 

“The kids are so innocent and lovable,” Hoseok said. “And I just want to share some of the love I have received from the people around me with them.”

 

Taehyung could not help but feel impressed with Hoseok. There is no sense of bitterness in him. He is optimistic. He volunteers. He is passionate. His nickname J Hope fits him perfectly. But Taehyung in no way will be willing to donate his corneas to Hoseok.

 

“V-ssi, can I ask you something?”

 

“Sure.”

 

“Have you known Jimin-ssi for a long time?”

 

“Like forever. I mean, since we were kids. Why do you ask?”

 

“Kookie…I mean…Jungkook is a good kid. I hope Jimin-ssi will treat Jungkook well. I think Jimin-ssi likes Kookie. And I think Jungkook likes Jimin-ssi. I’m not sure if I’m imagining things. But if that’s the case, I hope the best for them. Kookie could really use someone in his life. Don’t hurt him. He’s really emotionally fragile.”

 

Taehyung felt his insides knot as his remembered his plan with Jimin.

 

“Well, it’s too early to talk about Jiminie and Jungkook falling in love,” Taehyung said.

 

Hoseok scratched his head and laughed. “That’s true. I’m getting excited over nothing…. V-ssi, could I get your contact number so that I can send you the details for next Saturday.”

 

“Sure. My number is 010-4345-4399,” Taehyung rattled as Hoseok quickly saved V’s contact.

 

“Let me give you my number. Are you ready?” Hoseok asked.

 

Taehyung fished his handphone from his pocket and nodded.

 

“My number is 010-4894-3456,” Hoseok said slowly while Taehyung saved Hoseok’s number.

 

It was at then that the cab came to a halt. Taehyung fished for his wallet to pay the cab fare but Hoseok politely told Taehyung that he would pay the fare. Taehyung graciously accepted Hoseok’s gesture and they bid each other goodnight.

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So the first interactions between V-Hope has begun. It was so hilarious watching V Hope enact the scene from the Korean drama Secret Garden for the BTS Gayo Segment on the V App. 

Meanwhile it seems Jungkook is warming to Jimin further. Has Jungkook fallen in love with Jimin?

I think Jimin and Jungkook in real life have an interesting dynamic in their interaction and relationship. Jimin and his over enthusiasm for Jungkook. If you watched the videos re Jungkook's birthday, Jimin posted four online. And he wanted kisses from Jungkook and wanted to give Jungkook a kiss for his birthday.Sometimes I wonder if Jimin likes Jungkook as a brother or romantically. There are times when I can sense Jungkook's jealousy when Jimin's attention is given to someone else. But I don't doubt that Jungkook does like Jimin (maybe not romantically). 

Thanks for all the comments and subscriptions. Please keep the subscriptions and comments coming. Appreciate them very much.

My other fan fics

Heaven's Boys 

KyuMin: Almost a love story

KyuMin: 60 Days 

It's You (너라고) Neorago (a YeWook fan-fic)