Chapter 2

Straitjacketed

"So what's his real name?" asked Changjo.

We were in the cafeteria, seated at our usual table. I told L.Joe he could sit with us, and while he was waiting in line, Changjo and Ricky decided to interrogate me on stuff about him, as if I would possibly know.

"L.Joe," I replied. "At least that's what it says on his jacket."

"Just 'L.Joe'?" asked Ricky.

I nodded. "Besides, can't his name be just 'L.Joe'?" I asked.

"I don't know," said Ricky, "It's just a little weird. Oh shoot! Here he comes!"

I turned around and saw L.Joe walking towards us with his tray in his hands. I moved over to one side to give him space. He muttered thanks, before he sat down and started eating. There was a tense atmosphere afterwards. Ricky, Changjo, and I, were exchanging looks, and L.Joe just kept minding his own business and ate. I couldn't stand the silence anymore, so I decided to start a conversation.

"So, L.Joe. That's your real name?" I asked.

L.Joe looked at me with a hint of confusion in his face. "Yeah, it is. Why?" he replied.

"Oh, no reason. Just needed to break the silence, that's all," I said.

L.Joe chuckled and explained. "I lived in the states for some time, so you could say that L.Joe is sort of my, American name."

"And your Korean name would be?" asked Changjo. L.Joe started eating again, and didn't answer. He either didn't hear the question, or intentionally pretended not to. We decided to just drop it, and continued eating. We would shoot glances at each other from time to time to signal for the other to say something. Most of the time, L.Joe would answer our questions; how old he was, when his birthday was, what he wanted to do once he graduated. But sometimes he just shut like a clam, and when that happened, we would go back to eating silently and communicating telepathically.

The bell rang, signaling that classes would be starting soon, so we got our things and headed off to our next class. We got there just in time, just before our teacher arrived. The four of us sat together in a row: Changjo, then Ricky, then me, then L.Joe.

"Okay, I'll be assigning you into pairs now. In a week's time I expect you to have made an original composition. Now the pairs will be as follows." Our teacher went through a lot of names of people who had to work together, none of which included my name, and the whole time I was just hoping that I'd get paired up with Ricky or Changjo. I'd be darned if I had to be paired up with-

"Lee Chanhee, you'll be working with L.Joe"

L.Joe looked at me and smiled. I tried my best to smile, and probably ended up looking constipated. I couldn't really concentrate on what was happening during the class. I still could not believe that I had to work with the new guy. Before I knew it, the bell rang, and everyone started to leave. I was about to leave as well, when someone grabbed my shoulder.

"Hey," said L.Joe, "So, when do you want to start working on our homework?"

"As soon as possible, but not today. So, tomorrow, I guess?" I replied.

"Sounds good. Where are we going to work?" he asked.

"We could do it at my place, if you don't mind," I said.

"It's perfectly fine. So I'll see you tomorrow then," said L.Joe. "Oh, and Chanhee," Byunghun said, as I was about to leave, "Thank you. For everything."

I smiled at him, genuinely this time, and said, "You're welcome. See you tomorrow." I waved goodbye, which he returned, and made my way home.

 

"I'm home!" I shouted, as soon as I entered through the front door.

"I'm here!" Sunho's voice seemed to be coming from the kitchen; probably making dinner, since I could also smell something cooking. I headed upstairs to my room, opened the door, and immediately flopped down on my bed. I was tired as heck, and we didn't even do much that day. A few minutes later, I got up and took a bath. Afterwards, I changed into a plain white shirt and a pair of shorts.

"Chanhee-ah! Dinner!"

I went downstairs, and sat down at the table, waiting for Sunho to finish up cooking. A few seconds later, Sunho appeared with a plate of Korean grilled beef and set it down in front of me. "Eat up," he said, smiling.

I didn't even realize I was starving until I realized that I had eaten almost half of the beef. "You must be really hungry, huh? Anything interesting happen today?" asked Sunho.

"Not really," I said, "The only thing remotely interesting was me getting paired up with the new guy."

"New guy? What's his name?" asked Sunho.

"L.Joe. Oh, by the way, he's coming over tomorrow so we can start doing our homework. That's okay, right?" I said.

"Yeah, sure. As long as he isn't the escaped psychopath," he joked.

"Can we not talk about that? It makes me sick just thinking about it. Plus, I'm still kind of annoyed that I got woken up in the middle of the night because the police were after him." I said.

 

After dinner, I flopped down on my bed, and just lay there, staring at the ceiling. As much as I hated talking about Lee Byunghun, I couldn't help but wonder where he was hiding right now, what he was doing. I imagined him to be a faceless hooded figure hiding in a warehouse in who-knows-where plotting another murder. I felt sick thinking about it, so I pushed those thoughts out of my head, and went to sleep.

 

 

 

 

Heeeeeeeeey c: Yay! Chapter 2 is up! I'm sorry if it's horrible :c Please don't hate me T.T Anyway, I hope you liked this chapter, leave a comment and tell me what you thought, subscribe, and upvote. I LOVE YOU GUYS <3 <3 <3 Thank you OuO Byeeeeee -u-