Chapter 18

Straitjacketed

"What do you think of this one?" L.Joe asked as he played something on the keyboard.

"Don't really like it," I said.

"That's all you've been saying every time I play something on here," L.Joe argued.

"Because I don't really like it. What do you want me to do lie and tell you it's amazing?" I countered.

"Tell me honestly. Do you not like the melodies I just made or do you not like working with me? Which one is it?" he asked. I kept silent. Honestly it was more of the latter. I really could not stand being in the same room alone with him at the moment. This project was basically killing me. "Chanhee, I thought we agreed to be professional about this," said L.Joe.

"And you think I'm not trying to be?" I said. "Look I just... To be honest, I can't really stand being with you right now, okay?"

"Well then, what do you want me to do?" he asked.

"Don't show your face to me for a couple of years," I replied.

"I would, but in case you haven't noticed we have this project that we need to work on TOGETHER. So unless you have a better idea-" L.Joe broke off. We were both silent for a while before he continued. "I know things between us haven't exactly been smooth lately-"

"L.Joe, don't-" I started to say. I was not ready for this talk.

"Chanhee if we don't talk about it now, we're never going to get this stupid project done," he said. I knew he was right of course, but I still wasn't ready for this talk. I felt like I'd break down at the first word I would say.

"I really can't talk about this right now," I said, "Look, I'm sorry I was being immature earlier. But I promise I'll start being more professional this time. So long as we don't talk about it."

"Fine by me," he replied.

 

Making the song became a part of our daily routine. We'd go to my place and start working immediately, and when we thought we'd done enough, L.Joe would leave. We had decided on making a song contrasting the one we made before. Whereas the previous one was about falling in love, our new song was about breaking up. It probably wasn't the best idea, but I personally felt that if I couldn't talk about how I felt, then maybe I could sing it.

All you could hear coming from the room was music playing, and the occasional, but very short, conversations. Unlike last time, we wouldn't talk unless it was related to the project. 

When we got the melody done, we started dividing the parts, which didn't really take long. Soon, we started working on the lyrics. We consulted one another from time to time, although it was pretty awkward considering our present situation and that we were asking each other for lyrics about breaking up that we just wrote. Although, there was this one time that I almost broke down when I asked for L.Joe's opinion on some lyrics that I wrote. 

"Hey L.Joe what do you think of this: 'I miss and I wish I had the strength to tell you that'" I said. I literally almost choked. It was at that moment that I realized that I was actually writing about L.Joe; about our relationship. 

"It's-" said L.Joe as he cleared his throat, "It's good. Keep it up."

 

Time flew by so fast, that sooner than I realized it was the day we would have to perform. I was both nervous and excited; probably more of the former though. L.Joe and I had finished our song and it sounded great (well, at least Sunho said it was). We both practiced it a lot as well. But I was still afraid I'd mess up on stage. 

We were all in the school's auditorium anxiously waiting. Suddenly the auditorium's doors opened and in came three people. I recognized them as the same men who were there during L.Joe and my recording. My heart started beating faster as soon as they took their seats in front of the stage. 

One by one, the pairings started performing. Every time a pair before us finished their performance, I'd get even more nervous. When it was almost our turn, L.Joe and I headed backstage and got ready. Seeing L.Joe wearing a coat and tie was just amazing. I mean, if he was handsome before, he was even more so now. I had to shake those thoughts away though because I was afraid I'd forget the lyrics if I kept on thinking about him. 

Our turn had finally come. L.Joe and I walked out onto the stage. The lights were blinding at first, but we got used to them after a while. After L.Joe and I introduced ourselves we prepared to perform. My heartbeat began to slow down and so did my breathing. I can do this.

The music started playing and I started singing our song, putting every emotion into it. Soon, memories of me and L.Joe began popping into my head, and the words just came out naturally. Those happy memories all leading up to that devastating moment when we fought, said goodbye, and walked away. I totally forgot that I was performing. The song drew to a close, and as I was singing the last line, I looked at L.Joe, and felt a tear slide down my face.

The next thing I knew people were applauding, including the three producers in front of us. L.Joe and I bowed and walked off the stage. I wiped away my tear as we did.

"Hey," said L.Joe as we were returning to our seats, "You did great back there."

"Thanks. So did you," I said.

We both took our seats and watched the remainder of the performances (which included Ricky and Changjo's). When everyone was finished we all clapped, and the three producers went onto the stage. 

"Great performances from everyone. Well done!" said one of them. We all clapped. "We do have one surprise for you though: Four students in here right now have been chosen to become trainees at TOP Media."

No. Freaking. Way. This was even bigger than just recording the song. This was basically what every one of us dreamed of.

"These students are Chanhee, L.Joe, Ricky, and Changjo."

I literally cried out of happiness. I couldn't believe it. Everyone applauded the four of us. I gave Ricky and Changjo a big hug. I turned around and hugged L.Joe as well. Then I realized what I just did and pulled away as quickly as I embraced him. 

"Congratulations," I said, as I cleared my throat.

"Congratulations as well. I guess this isn't going to be the last time we'll be seeing each other," he said. 

 

 

 

 

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey c: So chapter 18 is up :) I hope you guys liked it. Please comment down below and tell me what you thought of this chapter, and please upvote :> I LOVE YOU GUYS <3 <3 <3 Thank you OuO Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee -u-