Bye Bye Butterflies

Slip of the Lips

“Get the away from him.”

 

Chanyeol watched in utter shock and awe as Sehun grabbed Baekhyun and pushed him into the bathroom door. The vocalist’s head smacked against the hard surface of the wooden door. His eyes rolled back into their sockets and he slid to the floor. He laid limp, back against the door, head drooping to the side, and eyes closed.

The maknae took a hold of the vocalist by his shoulders. He pushed the unconscious older on to the floor and sat on top of his chest. Sehun’s hands curled into angry fists as he wound them back and brought them forward, alternating heavy blows to the other’s face. Tears streaked down Sehun’s cheeks and curses left his dried, cracked lips. He couldn’t unsee half Baekhyun and Chanyeol in each other’s arms.

Sehun’s lips curled into a wild smile when he noticed that blood that began to trickle out of Baekhyun’s nose. He was swinging punches, left and right, laughing as he imagined how bruised up the other’s face would be. Maybe then Chanyeol would stop looking at him. The rapper was his, and Sehun wouldn’t let Baekhyun have him.

“Sehun stop!”

Chanyeol’s hands pulled the younger’s fists back.  He held Sehun’s arms behind his back and tugged him off Baekhyun. However, Sehun wouldn’t stop without a fight. He struggled against Chanyeol’s hold on him, pushing himself forward as Chanyeol pulled him backwards off of Baekhyun.

“Chanyeol, let go of me!” Sehun yelled, trying to move his arms. “Let me go!”

“I can’t let you hurt Baekhyun!”

Sehun stilled for a moment. “But you’ll hurt me?” He whispered and faced Chanyeol, tears rolling down his cheeks and lips trembling.

“W-What?”

“What with all the yelling in here?” D.O asked, peeking his head around the doorway.  He got down on the floor beside Baekhyun when he saw him.

“Are you okay Baekhyun?”

There was no response.

"Help! He’s unconscious!” D.O stood up and yelled into the hallway. He turned back to Chanyeol and Sehun. “What are you two doing just sitting there? Shouldn’t we take him to a hospital or something?”

Suho burst into the room, muttering under his breath.  “How many things can go wrong in a single day? Who’s uncon--Baekhyun?!” The leader looked around the room, his eyes lingering on Sehun and Chanyeol, who was holding the maknae back.

“Kyungsoo, Chanyeol,  please take Baekhyun to his room. Also, I need you to get the emergency kit from my room,” Suho started, not looking away from the rapper and the maknae.”Ask for help if you need it. And Sehun, we need to have a talk later.”



 

Despite always looking like he was in a trance, Kyungsoo wasn’t clueless. He knew why Baekhyun was passed out cold with a bloody nose. He also was aware of the reason behind Sehun’s actions. A blind man could see how jealous the maknae was.

Kyungsoo also happened to know about the not-so-secret hub account that most of the members shared. Unfortunately, he knew exactly what kind of material they were all ‘jerking it’ to as well. Though it sounded dumb, he wished that the conflict between Baekhyun and Sehun had been about the account and its ever changing password (because no one could remember it).

The walls of the dorm weren’t as soundproof as one would think and Kyungsoo wished. At night, the snores of the other members could be heard through the walls, so could late night singing, and music composition. As well as other noises and lewd sounds that usually came from Chanyeol’s room or Sehun’s. The vocalist knew that the two were engaging in inappropriate ual relations. They did a poor job at hiding the dark purple hickeys that blossomed on their necks.

There was no need for them to be secretive about their relationship. Half of the members were gay.The acceptance of Chanyeol and Sehun’s relationship would not be a problem. However, there had never been an in group couple. There were a few flings here and there, but no one had ever been serious enough. Maybe Chanyeol and Sehun would change that.

Kyungsoo could tell how much Sehun liked Chanyeol. After waiting nearly six hours for Chanyeol to return, there would be no way for Sehun to easily deny his feelings. The previous night hadn’t been the only clue.

Those longing looks the maknae sent the rapper during choreo practice had never gone unnoticed by Kyungsoo. It wasn’t hard to see the way Sehun’s eyes were always on Chanyeol’s lips whenever the other spoke or rapped. Wherever Chanyeol was, Sehun was always nearby. At concerts the maknae would always follow Chanyeol around, as if he were a lost puppy. Those lingering touches, the subtle flirtatious winks, the shy smiles, and Sehun’s childish possessiveness over Chanyeol.

Though Sehun was obvious, Chanyeol was slightly less so. Kyungsoo wasn’t surprised. Of the two, Chanyeol liked to remain discreet and secretive of feelings. Away from the cameras, the rapper really wasn’t as energetic and happy as he portrayed himself to be for the fans. Sehun was his weakness, his soft spot. Kyungsoo knew that the giant always gave into the maknae. It was adorable, but a bit concerning at the same time. Chanyeol focused too much attention on the maknae sometimes.

They hadn’t always been close.

Before Sehun and Chanyeol, it had been Baekhyun and Chanyeol. It had also been long before Taeyeon came into the picture. The breakfast couple was nearly inseparable. Though constantly bickering, they were together through every waking moment. Ever since the pre debut and debut days, the pair had always taken showers together. Even when the second bathroom was installed, they wanted to continue saving water and showering together.

They’d often be missing from their  beds in the early morning. Coincidentally, their pillows, sheets, and other covers would be gone as well. Chanyeol and Baekhyun would almost always be found on the rooftop (after they had gone ‘missing’), snuggled together underneath a fort of blankets and sheets.

When they weren’t fighting or acting like seven-year-olds (hence the blanket fort), they were composing music together on the rooftop. They could stay up there for hours, Baekhyun’s bright voice and Chanyeol’s skillful guitar playing, truly a delightful mix of music to everyone’s ears. They had secretly been planning to create an album together as a pair.

Not only were their rooftop performances impressive, their on stage bromance was even more so. The fans were crazy for BaekYeol. Baekhyun and Chanyeol loved the attention. With every couple-y action they were rewarded with screams and cheers from their shippers.  They took their fake bromance almost as seriously as they took their careers as performers. Even when the cameras were off, their relationship was present. From feeding each other, to back massages, to cuddling on the couch, it seemed as if the bromance wasn’t fake after all.

However, things weren’t quite the same once Baekhyun started pursuing Taeyeon. Kyungsoo had immediately noticed the distance between Chanyeol and Baekhyun. There was even a slight air of awkwardness the lingered whenever the two of them were together. Things only got worse when Baekhyun and Taeyeon went official. The droopy eyed vocalist was barely at the dorm. And when he was, he was on his phone, always texting his girlfriend.

BaekYeol’s bickering had disappeared, alongside the couch cuddles, back massages, rooftop performances, blanket fort camp outs, and the seemingly unbreakable bond between the two. Of course there were a few acts of bromance here and there during interviews and concerts, but it wasn’t the same. To Kyungsoo, it had all seemed forced.

Months passed and Kyungsoo watched as Baekhyun and Chanyeol grew further apart from each other. The droopy eyed vocalist had replaced the giant rapper with Taeyeon and it seemed as if there was no turning back. Though still on good terms and a normal talking basis, their friendship seemed far from repair.  Baekhyun, not realizing he’d been neglecting his once best friend, and Chanyeol too worried about ruining the other’s happiness to confront him about their friendship.

Baekhyun was over-the-moon happy. Chanyeol was disappointed and lonely, but he’d never let Baekhyun know that. He cared too much about the other’s happiness to push his feelings on to him, as if he were a burden. The distance between them only grew.

“I shouldn’t want something that I can never have, right Kyungsoo-ah?” Chanyeol had asked Kyungsoo one early morning, over a bowl of cold hangover soup. He’d drunk himself stupid the night before and passed out on the bathroom floor after puking out all the contents of his stomach.

“What is this ‘something’ that you can never have, Chanyeol?” Kyungsoo answered the other’s question with another question.

“Someone.”

“Who?”

Kyungsoo didn’t have to ask in order to figure who Chanyeol had been talking about. Baekhyun’s name was practically written in Chanyeol’s sad eyes.

He gave and gave and gave to the other, never expecting anything in return. He just wanted to see the droopy eyed vocalist’s smile. Somewhere along the line, he’d realized that he didn’t just want their bromance to be for show. His feelings were real and he wanted their relationship to be that way as well. They were so close at the time and Chanyeol had easily convinced himself that his feelings were not one sided. Baekhyun hadn’t seemed so far out of reach to him.

He’d been let down very hard. Baekhyun’s successful chase and capture of Taeyeon’s heart had been a harsh reality check and slap to the face for Chanyeol. Kyungsoo had been there to nurse the bruise, but he really couldn’t help the giant. Chanyeol tried his best to be happy for Baekhyun, but couldn’t find the heart to do so. The droopy eyed vocalist had stomped all over his heart.

Kyungsoo thought that was when everything started to fall apart for EXO. Kris’s departure from the group, followed by Luhan and Tao, only made things worse. It had been a dark time for the group. But through the whole ordeal, they’d managed to support each other. They suffered a lot without the brothers that they’d lost. However, they became closer to the ones that remained; the group bond was stronger than ever.

Through the common ground of being left by the ones they loved the most, Sehun and Chanyeol had formed a special bond. This connection had allowed them to understand each other on a whole other level than the other members. Everyone was sad, but Sehun and Chanyeol were heartbroken. Their pain brought them close and helped them to find comfort in each other, their new companionship becoming the glue that pieced their broken hearts back together.

However, Chanyeol and Sehun’s relationship didn’t seem so healthy now. It wasn’t healthy for Baekhyun. Kyungsoo sighed,  his eyes raked over poor Baekhyun, who was still unconscious and lying down in bed.  Just when the thought relationships were returning to normal and problems were fixing themselves, something had to go wrong.

Things were serious now. Sehun had nearly put Baekhyun’s life in danger. Kyungsoo hoped that this wasn’t the beginning of a downward spiral. The members had horrible fights before, mostly verbal and rarely physical. When the conflicts got too out of hand, other members would interfere and put a stop to whatever was happening. Members involved in the fight would be punished accordingly by their leader and the eldest hyung.

Kyungsoo had no idea that jealousy could make Sehun act like that. He was disappointed and scared at the same time, mostly for Baekhyun’s safety. If it happened once, it could happen again. Worried settled into Kyungsoo’s eyes as he reach forward and ran his fingers through Baekhyun’s soft hair.

“It’s all such a mess, Baekhyun, and you don’t even know. “




 

Chanyeol, pulled Sehun into the maknae’s room and pushed him against the wall, the giant’s arms and hands forming a cage around the other’s head. Sehun turned his head to the side, unkempt bangs falling into his face and hiding his eyes. The rapper leaned in and practically growled into the maknae’s ear, his hot breath tickling Sehun’s skin. “You had better explain to me what happened back there.”

Backed up against the wall and hands clenched into fists at his sides, Sehun stood there in silence. Adrenaline coursed through his veins. His heart pounded at a volume so loud that he could feel it in his ears. He was still on a high from beating the out of Baekhyun. But it wasn’t enough. Baekhyun deserved the pain. Sehun never liked to share what was his, and Chanyeol would not be an exception. The shaking of his shoulders was barely noticeable to Chanyeol. Sehun had so many things to say, but none of the words left his mouth.

“Sehun...What did Baekhyun do to deserve that?”

The giant was angry, but shocked and a bit confused at Sehun’s violent actions in the bathroom moments ago. He mentally kicked himself for not coming to his senses earlier. He hadn’t been quick enough to save Baekhyun from Sehun’s beating. He was disappointed in himself.

Though one could argue that Baekhyun deserved it, seeing it as payback for what the vocalist did the Chanyeol in the dance studio, the giant didn’t think that way. If anything, he felt that he was the one who deserved the beating. Chanyeol felt that Sehun was his responsibility. However, he couldn’t control the maknae and keep him from hurting the other.

“Explain why you ditched me for him,” Sehun managed to choke out, lips trembling and voice cracking as he spoke. “Last night…”

Chanyeol felt his arms weaken. There had not yet been a chance for him to explain why he’d come back so late. Frankly, Chanyeol almost dreaded the thought of having to do so. He didn’t want to tell Sehun that he’d forgotten about their dinner and Pokemon hunt. Not only was it embarrassing, he knew that he’d let the maknae down. His arms fell back to his sides, and took a seat on Sehun’s bed. It was his turn to be silent.

Finally finding his voice, Sehun turned completely to look at Chanyeol. Though upset with the other, he couldn’t help admiring the rapper’s gorgeous facial features and new hair color. His eyes traced over the shape of Chanyeol’s nose, the curve of his lips, and the jawline that Sehun loved to kiss. And then that’s when he noticed that reddish-purple bruise that swelled beneath Chanyeol’s pale skin. His eyes flickered downwards and noticed more of them, all over Chanyeol’s chest and abdomen.

“You’ve got to be ing kidding me,” he said, moving closer to Chanyeol. He reached out and ran his fingers down Chanyeol’s chest, lightly brushing over the bruised spots. His hands curled into fists  and he sunk to the ground in front of the giant, cheeks burning with anger and eyes beginning to feel warm and watery.

“First you ditch me for him and now you two are sleeping together?”

As if that scene in the bathroom hadn’t been evidence enough, Sehun didn’t need to know or see anything more to confirm it himself. Chanyeol was cheating on him with Baekhyun. Chanyeol was with Baekhyun all of last night and they came back late together. Sehun spent seven hours worrying, and Chanyeol probably spent the same amount of time giving it hard to the vocalist. The maknae felt beyond betrayed.

He held his head in his hands as he sat on the floor, rubbing his temples and muttering repeatedly under his breath, “I can’t ing believe it. I can’t believe it.”

Arms folded over his chest, Chanyeol couldn’t believe that left Sehun’s mouth. He wanted to laugh at how serious the other sounded over something so unrealistic. He opened his mouth to let out a chuckle, but a quiet sniffle from Sehun stopped him. Just like he had in the bathroom, Sehun was crying. Though he should be furious and beating the out of the other for Baekhyun, Sehun’s tears always tugged at Chanyeol’s heart.

He found himself on his knees, beside Sehun on the floor. Chanyeol made a move to wrap his arm around the other’s shoulders, but he was pushed away. Sehun glare at him, tears in his eyes and running down his cheeks. The giant couldn’t understand why the maknae was being like this. He also couldn’t see how the bruises on his chest from Baekhyun’s punches seemed to scream that he’d been sleeping with the vocalist.

“Sehun, I’m sorry for coming back late. But if you just let me explain what happened-”

“I don’t want to hear about you boning Baekhyun in the dance studio. You ers probably watched yourselves in the mirror. “

“Sehun!”

“Don’t deny it Chanyeol! God, I can’t believe you. What happened to not wanting things we couldn’t have?”

“Sehun please, just let me explain-”

“So is he better than me? Probably not. You’re probably the first man he’s ever slept with. Congratulations on taking Byun Baekhyun’s ity, you two timing bastard. I hope you’re happy with yourself. Now get the out of my room. I can no longer stand the sight of your face.”

Chanyeol felt numb. At this point, he couldn’t stand being in the same room with Sehun either. There was no reason him for him to try to explain himself if the other wouldn’t he let him talk. So be it. After acting the way he had and jumping to those conclusions, Sehun didn’t deserve any explanations or apologies from Chanyeol.

He got up and made his way over the door. He opened it and just before he stepped out into the hallway he said,”You know... I was serious when I said that you were the only one I would date. But now, I’m not so sure about that.”

Without another word, Chanyeol left and closed the door behind him.


 

 

After he’d come to, Baekhyun bolted out of the dorm. He did not want to be in the same place as Oh Sehun, in fear of his safety. It only took a short explanation from D.O for the droopy eyed vocalist to pack a bag and get the hell out of that place. He practically ran all the way to SNSD’s dorm.  The vocalist  whipped out his spare key and got inside.

His unannounced visit caught all the girls by surprise. However, he didn’t bother with proper greetings as he stormed past them. Baekhyun was only interested in seeing and speaking to one girl, his girl. He threw open the door of Taeyeon’s room and tossed his bag to the side. He was so flustered that he hadn’t noticed her panickedly closing her laptop and hiding it in her nightstand’s drawer.

He crawled into bed beside her and let his tears spill, crying into her hair as she patted his back, listening intently to every word he had to say. In detail, he told her about everything that happened during the past two days, his voice shaking and cracking when he came to the part about Sehun beating him up. She muttered soothing, calming words into his ears and held him close. It felt so good to be in her arms. He’d missed the warmth of her body and the sweet smell of her hair.

It took a while, but eventually Taeyeon managed to calm him down. They laid side-by-side in her bed, under the covers, foreheads touching and knees bumping together. Taeyeon’s slim fingers traced the shape of Baekhyun’s face. He watched her with red, puffy eyes. She gave him a small smile and scooted in closer, curling her fingers into the fabric of his shirt.

Taeyeon pressed her lips to Baekhyun’s. The vocalist held his breath. When she pulled away. Baekhyun returned the smile. Taeyeon smiled again and then spoke,”Good night, Baekhyun.” She rolled over to the side and switched off her lamp. Taeyeon laid with her back to the droopy eyed vocalist.

Baekhyun laid there beside her, staring at the back of her head. His smile disappeared. He raised his fingertips to his mouth and lightly pressed them to his lips. Taeyeon’s kiss had felt icy and unfamiliar.  The blood in his veins went cold and his heart nearly stopped.

 

When Taeyeon kissed him, Baekhyun hadn't felt any butterflies in his stomach. The butterflies were gone. 









 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Explanation time.

  1. D.O knows that Sehun and Chanyeol are in a relationship. However he is unaware that it is only a ‘no strings attached’ one. He thinks that they’re dating.

  2. The bruise on Chanyeol’s jaw and the ones on his chest are from Baekhyun. The bruises were the result of Baekhyun using Chanyeol as a punching bag when they were in the dance studio.  Sehun was mistaken and thought that the bruises were hickeys. This is why he jumped to the conclusion that Chanyeol had slept with Baekhyun. Also, seeing them half in the bathroom made it worse for him.

  3. During chapter 7, at the Idols Tell All interview, Chanyeol was asked which member he would date. He said, “I the only I would date is Sehun.”

 

I understand that parts of this chapter may be a bit confusing. Please feel free to ask me in the comments if you need anything explained to you. Thank you all for reading and subscribing. I was honestly shocked when I hit 300 subs. I love you all <3 This might be the last update I’ll be able to give you guys this month. I’m returning to school tomorrow. So please enjoy this very long chapter.

That’s all for now, everyone. Thank you once again for reading and subscribing. Please leave me some comments; I’d love to hear your thoughts on this chapter.

~FlamerLocket-