Chapter 32: Nothing Really Happened

Yes, Your Highness

Over the next few weeks, a lot happened. Taemin and Ginny got engaged and then Sehun and Catherine’s engagement followed soon after. I was going to start my princess lessons but, because Ginny’s father was in poor health, they decided that getting married quickly was the best idea and that I was to be the one  in charge of planning. To help pull the wedding off, I called in tons of Kai’s friends to come to stay at the castle. Sadly, Kai couldn’t help much because he was constantly at meetings with his parents. I was left alone so much, that I began making friends with the other princes.

One day after checking the flower arrangements, I was walking around muttering to myself about what to do next and I noticed that there was only one item on my list that I had yet to start working on. I needed to learn how to dance. Kai was such a good dancer and I didn’t know anything more than where my hands go and that I was to follow. I must have looked ridiculous out there in front of all of his guests. I was suddenly brought out of my thoughts when I bumped into Xiumin and dropped all of my papers. “Oh my goodness. I am so sorry.” I said quickly bending down to pick everything up.

“Oh no. That’s fine. Here let me help you.” He said as he picked up my top page. He glanced down at my top page and saw that ‘personal dance lessons’ was unchecked. “Personal dance lessons?”

“Um yes,” I said grabbing the page from his hand. “It’s the only thing I haven’t started working on. If you’ll excuse me, I have other things to check on.” I was so embarrassed that I wanted to run.

“Wait Melody! I could teach you, if you like.” Xiumin offered sweetly.

“You? You'd do that for me?” I asked.

“Well I don't have anything else to do. I kind of just help out wherever I can. And I'd love to. I know it hasn't been easy for you with Kai being so busy.” Xiumin smiled and a wave of relief flew over me.

“If you could do that, it would be a big help. I just want to know what I'm doing when a dance with Kai at the wedding. I don't want to make a fool of myself.” I said with a laugh.

“The only person who can tell you can't dance is you. I've never seen you make a fool of yourself.” Xiumin smiled again and I could tell he was a really sweet guy. 

“Can you maybe not mention it to anyone else? It’s really embarrassing for me to even have to ask for help at all.” I admitted. Xiumin nodded and we talked some more to make plans to meet up to practice.

The next two weeks were filled with meeting Xiumin in secret, while working on wedding activities. We became such good friends that even when we weren't dancing, we'd spend time together. I didn't think anyone would notice because everyone was so preoccupied, but then something happened.

 A few nights before the rehearsal dinner we were all sitting around the dinner table, just talking and enjoying each other's company, but someone had to ruin it.

“So Kai, this is the first night you've had off in weeks.” Tao brought up.

“Yeah, mom and dad have had me crazy busy with meetings. I'm sorry I haven't been able to be much help.” He said before he turned to me. “I'm sorry I haven't been able to spend much time with you either.”

“It's alright sweetheart. I understand.” I said with a smile.

“Don't worry Kai. Xiumin’s been keeping her busy.” Kris said coldly.

“Doing what?” Kai asked.

“We've just been hanging out. She's been so overwhelmed with all the wedding stuff so I've been kind of like her buffer.” Xiumin said with a smile not admitting our secret.

“Why didn't you come talk to me?” Kai asked, his voice laced with sadness.

“You just said it yourself Kai. You’ve been busy. You told me to learn more about your friends and get to know them.” I smiled hoping he would calm down.

“What did you do when you were together?” He asked.

“We talked. He kept me company. I-” I tried explaining but was cut off.

“What happened exactly?” Kai asked tensely.

“Kai, trust me nothing really happened. I helped her with the wedding plans and we spent a lot of time talking. That's really all that went on.” Xiumin said with a smile

“Did you talk before or after I saw her in your arms?” Kris asked innocently.

“YOU DID WHAT?” Kai immediately got up and grabbed Xiumin from his seat. “YOU TOUCHED HER? DID YOU KISS HER TOO? TELL ME.”

“Kai. I didn't kiss her I promise.” Xiumin said nervously. “I have a perfect explanation for what happened.”

“I DON’T WANT TO HEAR YOUR EXCUSES. YOU’RE SUPPOSED TO BE MY FRIEND.” Kai pushed him up against the wall and I could tell things were about to get violent. 

I ran over to where they were and placed my hand on his shoulder. “Kai, sweetheart. It's not what you think. I promise you nothing like that happened.”

“NOTHING HAPPENED??” Kai yelled letting go of Xiumin. “You. Were. In. His. Arms. What on Earth could you be doing there?” He asked in a strange calm voice.

“Kai, I… I can't… I don't…” I tried to find the words but I didn't want to tell Kai that I needed help.

“No. I don't want to know. Not right now.” Kai said before he walked out of the dining room.

I looked towards Xiumin who was still up against the wall, afraid to move and shook my head. 

“You should have known it would have gotten back to him sooner or later Melody.” Kris said snarkily.

“You know what Kris? You don't know anything. You want to know what I was doing? You really want to know?” I said walking over towards where he was.

He stood up to tower over me as I approached. “I already know. We all know. You cheated on your boyfriend.” He said harshly.

“I. Did. Not.” I turned to look at all the other shocked faces around the table and simply laughed. “You all know nothing. And you know what? I'll tell you all just what it was I was doing. I can't dance. There I said it. I can't dance because I never had lessons. Excuse me for wanting to be a better dancer so that I could dance correctly with my boyfriend at the wedding. But you just ruined that. Thanks Kris. Thank you so very much.” I stormed out the door and went up to my room and locked the door. At times, people would come up to talk to me but I wouldn't let any of them in, not even Catherine. 

The next few days I focused on the wedding and stayed far away from any of them. The night of the rehearsal dinner though I had to make an appearance. I was the maid of honor after all. The minute I walked into the church, everything went quiet. Everyone turned to look at me, except for Kai. I walked straight up to him though with confidence and stood beside him waiting for it to begin. When the rehearsal started, he stiffly held out his arm for me and walked me down the aisle in preparation for tomorrow. He wouldn't look at me throughout the ceremony and when it was time to leave, I was greeted with the same stiffness. As soon as we were to part, he let go of me and quickly headed off in another direction, opposite of where the dinner portion was being held. I wanted to go eat, but something told me I need to go after him. I silently followed him out the door and when he stopped to get some air, I stood beside him.

“Kai. We should talk.” I said with a heavy heart.

“What is there to talk about?” He said coldly.

“Kai… I… I…” I searched for the words but I couldn't find them.

“What? Tell me. You cheated on me with Xiumin. What is there more to say?” He spat.

I took in a deep breath and placed my hand on his shoulder. He pulled it away quickly and stepped away from me. “I've never cheated on you.” I said quietly. He rolled his eyes and said nothing. “I've never cheated on you.” I said louder. 

“Then tell me what you were doing with Xiumin.” He whispered.

“It's embarrassing.” I said sadly. He didn't move or say anything more so I assumed he heard me. I took in a deep breath. “Kai, I can't dance.” 

He took a moment and raised his eyebrows in confusion. “You dance just fine. That has nothing to do with you and Xiumin. Another lie…” 

“No Kai. I don't. Well I didn't. As I was making the checklist for the wedding, I put personal dance lessons on there.” I took in another deep breath. “I just wanted to be good enough for you.”

“Likely story.” Kai mumbled.

“I promise. Xiumin offered to help me. That's it. I would have asked you but you were so busy. And I thought this way I could surprise you. Xiumin didn't touch me, unless it was for dancing. I didn't cheat on you. I l- I love you Kai.” I took in a deep breath and waited for him to respond.  

After what felt like a year, I finally heard him sigh. “I want to believe you.” He said sadly.

“Believe me, Kai. When have I ever lied to you? If I kissed someone else I'd tell you! If I cheated on you with someone else I'd come clean. I'm honest.” I said exasperatedly.

“Did you kiss him?” He asked finally looking at me with tear filled eyes. 

“No.” I said looking straight into his eyes. “He offered to help me dance and we became friends that's it. Just like Tae and I are friends, Xiumin and I are friends. You're the only guy I've ever kissed.” I admitted.

“Then why would Kris say it the way he did?” Kai asked in a hurt tone.

“I don't know. Maybe he's jealous? Maybe he's jealous of our relationship? Maybe he's jealous of the fact that you have me? I don't know, but I promise you that nothing happened.” I placed my hand on his arm and he didn't move it away.

“I’m sorry I get jealous so quickly.” Kai sighed and he placed his hand on top of mine. 

“It's ok. It was a really great set up if someone wanted to make you mad. We hadn't seen each other in so long…” I looked down at the ground and then back up at him. His eyes locked on mine and I couldn't tell what he was thinking.

“I tried to make time. It killed me only seeing you in passing or at random intervals where I only had a minute. And when I finally could be with you and I heard that you had been spending all that time with Xiumin, I snapped. To think that I lost you, I couldn't take it.” Kai's eyes had tears in them again and I quickly wiped them away.

“You haven't lost me.” I whispered as I laid my head against his arm. “You're just supposed to trust me.”

“I trust you.” He said as he placed his arm around me. “I don't trust other people.”

I took in a deep breath and sighed as I took in his comforting scent. “Now you know how I felt when you spent time with Sarah.”

“Did it feel like getting your heart ripped out?” He asked sadly.

“Yes, it did. But you told me to trust you. ‘That's only way we can get through this, Mel’,” I said in my best Kai voice. “You know, she'll be here tomorrow. Maybe she can have the opportunity to be with you then.”

“Last I checked, I'm still taken,” He said with a small smile.

I smiled back at him and nodded. “Well in that case, you can't dance with her.”

“Am I? Still taken that is?” He asked nervously.

“Would I let you have your arms around me if you weren't?” I asked as I leaned closer to him.

“No. You wouldn't. Unless there was a good reason. Is there a good reason?” He asked.

“Hmm. You are my boyfriend. That's all the reason I need.” I smiled and looked up at him. He smiled back and leaned down ready to kiss me when we were interrupted. 

“Hey, they wanted me to come see where you two were. Food’s getting cold.” Xiumin said with a weak smile.

Kai walked over to where Xiumin was and Xiumin started to tense up. “I'm sorry. I should have known that you're a better man than that.”

Xiumin smiled immediately. “Thank you. She's a great girl Kai, but she's your girl. I wouldn't do anything to jeopardize that. I don't think any of us have ever seen you this happy. Well as happy as you were…”

“As happy as I am.” Kai said as he grabbed my hand. I smiled at the both of them and then Kai and I walked into the dining area with our hands still intertwined.