Chapter 24: Kai's Offer

Yes, Your Highness

I woke up at the crack of dawn ready to get back to serving Catherine, even though she never lets me do anything. I got ready and looked in the mirror. Simple and cute. I decided that I should go wake up Kai first before going to her room. Quickly, I walked to his room and knocked on the door. Hearing no sound, I walked in. There his royal sleepiness was snoring softly. I quietly walked over to the bed and said, "Kai, honey. It's time to get up." To my surprise, Kai scooted over and pat the bed asking me to lay down. No sooner had I laid my head on his pillow when his arms wrapped around me and he began cuddling me. "Kai, what are you doing?" I asked but the only response I got was more snoring. Well if I can't beat him, I might as well join him. I grabbed a blanket from the bottom of his bed and covered up. I didn't know how long I'd be stuck like this and quite honestly I didn't care. 

I woke up to a pair of lips lightly kissing my cheek. "Good morning gorgeous." Kai said as I rolled over. 

"Good morning." I said with a yawn.

"You know, I could get used to this whole waking up to you thing." Kai said with a smirk.

"Look. I came in here to wake you up. And YOU were the one who wanted me to lay down. I laid down and then you cuddled me. What was I supposed to do?" I asked with a pouty face. 

He leaned over and kissed my lips softly. "Stay with me." He whispered before kissing me once more. 

"I did stay with you." I said giggling. 

He smiled and then got up and started getting ready. I hid under the covers while he changed. "You can look now." He said.

As I brought my head out from under the blanket, he was facing away from me searching for a shirt in his dresser. All I could see was his back but that's all I needed to see before I turned into a giggling mess. He chuckled and turned around after grabbing a shirt. I immediately stopped giggling and just stared. He winked at me before slowly putting it on, killing every part of me. Then he walked back over and laid on the bed beside me. 

"That wasn't nice." I said with a huff. 

He laughed and shook his head. "You left me for almost two whole weeks. I don't have to be nice." 

"You do if you want me to say yes!" I blurted out. 

He froze and I smiled thinking I had him. "You told me you would say yes." He said quietly.

He got up and went to put his shoes on not saying anything. He walked over to the doors and started to leave. I ran over to him and blocked him from leaving. "Kai honey. I was kidding. I'm going to say yes. You know that right?" I asked. "Honey?" He didn't speak. "Kaikai?" I asked giving him my best adorable voice. 

"I'm not asking you if you aren't going to say yes. Maybe this is just a waste of my time." He said quietly. 

His words cut me like a knife. I never once thought that I could be a waste of his time. My eyes filled with tears and moved out of the doorway to let him pass. He took one step out of the door before turning around. Quickly he went over to me and wrapped his arms around me. Then he kissed me, forcefully at first and then it got softer and softer until our lips were hardly touching. "You are never a waste of my time." He said just before kissing me again. 

"How do I know I can trust you?" I asked fake sniffling. 

"Because you have just as much power to break my heart as I do yours." He said kissing my hand. "And I for one am doing all I can to keep yours from being broken angel." 

I smiled and wrapped my arms around his neck. "And I'm not going to break yours. The minute you ask me, I'm yours." I whispered into his ear before kissing his cheek. He looked into my eyes and leaned in to kiss me but I remembered he had work to do. I gently pushed away from him. "Don't you have somewhere to be?" I asked.

"With you." He said smiling.

I giggled instantly. "No. I mean aren't you busy today?" I asked glancing at the clock. He looked at the clock and realized he was late.

"Minho is going to kill me. I have lessons all day. I've gotta go. I love you baby. Bye!" He said kissing my cheek before rushing down the hallway. 

I went back to his room and made his bed the way he likes it. Immediately after, I went up to Catherine's room. "Your highness." I said curtseying as I walked in.

"Busy morning?" She asked looking up from the book she was reading.

I looked down and blushed. "Not very." I said with a smile. 

She just rolled her eyes and went back to reading. "How can I assist you today your highness?" I said sitting on her bed.

"You can catch me up on you and Kai. Starting from the minute you left." She said closing her book.

I sighed happily and began telling her everything, including his plans to ask me to be his girlfriend formally.

"That is one of the sweetest things I have ever heard." She said with a smile.

We continued talking for a few hours and around lunchtime, I decided to go check on Kai. I went and got his lunch from Onew in the kitchen and then knocked on the library door. I opened it up a crack and saw him reading a book. Minho immediately came over to the door. "He's busy." He said quietly.

"But I brought him lunch. Can't you give him a little break?" I asked sweetly. 

Minho considered it and then nodded. "Ok. Fine. Only because we need food. I'll be back in 30 minutes." He said leaving the room. 

I came in and put the tray on a table. Kai had his back to me and he couldn't see me. I snuck up behind him and placed a light kiss on the back of his neck. "Hello your Highness." I said.

Immediately he froze. "There's only one person I know who can do that." He said before turning around and smiling at me. "What are you doing here? I told you I had classes all day." 

"I brought you lunch!" I said gesturing to the nearby table. 

He got up and gave me a big hug. "You brought me food? I love you." He said before going over and sitting down to eat. 

"You only love me because I brought you food?" I said in shock. 

"Baby I was only kidding." He said shaking his head. 

"I know." I said sitting down to enjoy my own meal. "So what are we studying today?" I asked.

"Geography." He said.

"Oh. That's cool." I said looking down at my plate. Quite honestly, I had no clue what geography was.

"You never went to school, did you?" He asked. I just shook my head and didn't look at him. "Would you like to?" He asked. I looked up from the table questioningly. "Minho could teach you when he isn't working with me. Or we could do it at the same time. I'm not saying you aren't smart or anything. I just-" 

He started rambling and I cut him off. "Do you think he would? I have no way to pay him though." I asked quietly.

Kai sighed in relief. "I'd pay him. If it's something you'd want to do." He said giving me a small smile.

"I'd love that. I... I can't thank you enough." I said happily. Me? Learning? It's like a dream.
"Oh I'd have so much to teach Layla when I see her." I said immediately thinking to my sister.

"You know what?" Kai said enthusiastically. "I'll just pay for her to go to school too. She'd probably love being around kids her own age."

Immediately I stood up. "You're going to what?" 

He stood up to and walked over to me. "I'll just pay for her to go. It's no big deal." He said.

Then I started to cry. "You'd do that? For us? For me? For her? Why? We can't repay you or anything." 

Kai grabbed me and pulled me close to him. "Do you love me?" He asked. 

"Of course I love you. You know that." I said sniffling. 

"That's all I want." He said smiling.

"Kai that can't be enough. Paying one for me to be tutored and for her to go to school. That's a lot of extra money." I rambled. 

He leaned down and then kissed me. "It's fine. Trust me. Let me take care of you. Both of you. Please?" He said sweetly. 

"I don't know what to say." I said absolutely stunned. 

"A thank you will suffice. Or an I love you. I like either." He said.

"Thank you." I said hugging him tightly. I kissed him on the cheek and whispered, "I love you, Kai." 

He kissed me softly and said, "And I love you." 

We went back to eating and soon Minho came back. "Time to start back your Highness." He said.

Kai finished his drink and said, "Can I at least tell her bye?" Minho nodded and I stood up. Kai walked around to where I was and gave me a hug. "We can go tomorrow morning and tell Layla. Ok?" He said kissing my forehead. 

I nodded and grabbed the tray. "Yes your Highness."

I took the tray to the kitchen and then went up to Catherine's room. I could hear her and Sehun inside. 

"So, I was thinking. What if maybe next week, you and I got away for a little while?" Sehun asked. 

"Where would we go? We kind of came here to see Kai. Didn't we?" She asked. 

"We did. But he has Mel now. So you and I have time we can be alone." He said. 

"Well what were you thinking?" She asked. I heard her puppy bark and I assumed that she was playing with him.

"I was thinking something like a quiet dinner for two at that restaurant you love in the next kingdom. Then perhaps a walk on the beach?" He suggested. 

"That sounds wonderful, but what about the puppy? I can't leave her." She said. 

"We can let Mel babysit." He said confidently. 

After a pause she finally gave in. "Ok. Let's do it." She said happily. 

I decided to leave them alone and go up to my room. I yawned before laying down on my bed. I wasn't going to take a nap but I somehow just fell asleep. 

When I woke up, it had gotten dark and I had no clue what time it was. I went downstairs and the castle was quiet. I went to the library and saw Kai still in there. I looked at the clock and saw that it was about 9 at night. 

"Still working?" I asked rubbing my eyes sleepily. 

He turned around and looked at me. "Yeah. This paper is a killer. What have you been up to?" 

"Honestly? I was sleeping." I said with a slight yawn. "But now I'm up." I said sitting down beside him. 

"I'm going to be up for awhile working on this. I'm trying to get it done so I don't have to worry about it while we go to your house tomorrow." He said starting to look through one of his books.

"Kai. It can wait. You have been working all day. You need a break." I said smiling. 

"I took a break, earlier with you." He said.

"You didn't eat dinner did you?" I asked.

"I was supposed to but I just worked through it." Kai said.

"You need food." I said before promptly going to the kitchen. Luckily for me, I know where Onew keeps his left overs and I made Kai and I a plate. I warned them up and grabbed us some drinks. I went back to the library and sat the tray down where we were earlier. "Food." I said announcing my arrival.

"I really don't have time Melody." He said with a sigh as he worked. I walked over to where he was and took the book from his hands. I placed it on the table and stood him up.

"Don't you have a little time to spend with me?" I asked using my best puppy dog face.

Kai took one look at me and tried to resist. His efforts were futile."Ok. You win. 10 minutes."

We finished eating in 7 and I said, "Look at that 3 extra minutes."

He walked me over to the couch and sat me down. Then he wrapped his arm around my shoulder. "3 minutes I get to spend holding you." He said happily.