Chapter 29: Sick of Keeping Secrets

Yes, Your Highness

When I woke up the next morning, I could barely believe that yesterday actually happened. I decided to get ready quickly so that I could see him sooner. When I arrived at his room, his father was outside the door. 

“Oh your Highness! You’re home!” I said with a curtsey.

“Oh Melody, good to see you. Yes we just got back. I came up to see Jongin, but come to find out he is sick. The doctor is in their with him now.” The King said as he looked worriedly at the door. Soon the doctor came out and explained that Kai had a virus. He said that it was nothing to really worry about but to call if Kai got any worse. As he left, the King let out a sigh. “He’s going to need someone to take care of him, but my wife is exhausted…” 

“I’ll do it your Highness.” I said with a smile. “I’m very used to taking care of people who are ill.” Secretly, I just wanted an excuse to spend the day with Kai, but you know, whatever works.

“Melody, he isn’t the easiest person to take care of. Are you sure?” The King asked.

“Of course, your Highness.” I quickly curtsied and made my way into Kai’s room. Kai was laying in bed curled up with some blankets. I placed my hand on his forehead to check his temperature and found it to be very warm. I grabbed a wet washcloth from his bathroom and placed it on his forehead. He opened his eyes a little to look at me but I could tell he was feeling weak. “I’m right here if you need me.” I said kissing his cheek. I was about to leave when he grabbed my hand and motioned for me to sit down on the bed beside him. As soon as I laid down, he cuddled up next to me, allowing me to hold him. I rubbed his back softly and he quickly fell asleep.

After about an hour, I checked his temperature again and found it to still be high. I knew that a tepid bath would probably do the trick. I stood up to go run the water when there was a knock at the door. I quickly went over and cracked the door to see the visitor. 

“How is he Melody?” The King asked.

“He's been asleep for the past hour but his temperature is still high.” I explained as I opened the door to let the King in. “I'm thinking he should have a tepid bath. It'll cool his body down the quickest.”

“You can't give him a bath. I won't let you see him indecent.” The King said sternly.

“Well I was thinking he could be in his swim trunks. Plus it's not like a normal bath. I will let you supervise. Sound good?” The King nodded and I started towards the bathroom. “You just get him changed.”

When I got into the bathroom, I started the lukewarm water and grabbed a towel and washcloth. Soon the King brought in a very sleepy Kai.

The minute he touched the water, he began to complain. “This water is cold. I'm not going to sit in it.” 

The King scowled at me immediately and I nodded. “No your Highness it isn't cold. It's lukewarm. It just feels cold because of your fever. After it's over, I'll make sure you get warm again I promise.” I said with a smile. 

Kai scrunched up his face but sat down. The King on the other hand looked surprised that I was able to handle him. The King watched as I used the washcloth to wipe off Kai's face and back and arms. I looked at him to make sure I could continue and he nodded. I then wiped of his chest, stomach and legs (and hopefully didn't blush like crazy). After it was over, I stood him up and wrapped him in a towel.

“I'm freezing.” Kai said as I began drying off his hair. 

“It's alright your Highness. I'll make it better.” I then dried off his upper torso and let the King take the bottom. I brought in some new pjs and the King helped him put them on. As he got dressed I made the bed and put away his dirty clothes. When he came out, Kai was still sleepy but he looked a bit better. After we got him resettled in bed, I took his temperature and found that it had gone down considerably. I showed the King and he smiled. He got up saying something about how Kai should have some soup and left to go find Onew. 

After he was out of earshot, Kai pat the bed asking me to sit down. After I sat down and brushed some of his hair out of his face, he yawned. “That's definitely not how I thought our first bath would be.” He said with a small smirk.

I blushed and shook my head. “You're too sick to be thinking of those sorts of things.”

“I'm sick of keeping us a secret.” He said as he wrapped an arm around my stomach. “I was supposed to tell them today.” 

“You can tell them later, when you feel better.” I said kissing his head. 

“But I want to now.” He whispered.

“I know honey. I know. Let's get you better first.” I whispered back.

“Thank you Melody.” He said right before falling asleep on me. I hoped that the King wouldn't come back anytime soon. This would be hard to explain. I could see it now: Yes your Highness? Um see he was cold… And he wanted to cuddle something to get warm and I just happened to be here. Yeah that would blow over really well...

His fever spiked once more that evening but it went down after a few hours. Most of the time was spent with him sleeping on me or him drinking hot liquids. I promised the King to stay with him all night in case he took a turn for the worse but by morning, Kai was much better and the virus was hopefully over.

“Good morning beautiful.” Kai said as he got up from where he lay. 

“Good morning.” I yawned from my chair.

“Why didn't you lay on the bed with me? I had plenty of room.” Kai asked as he started walking towards the bathroom.

“Oh you know. Just in case, I don't know, the King comes by?” I said rolling my eyes. I heard Kai hop in the shower and I quickly stripped his bed and remade it with fresh sheets. I didn't want to take the chance of him getting sick again. I grabbed the dirty ones and took them to where other servants do the washing. When I came back, Kai was laying on his bed. “Feeling better?” 

“Mmhmm. Thank you for taking care of me.” Kai smiled and pat the bed beside him. I shook my head no and went back to my chair. “Why not?” 

“Your parents will be here any minute AND you need your rest.” I explained.

“I'm fine!” He protested.

“You may be fine, but you are staying in bed mister. And that's final.” I stuck out my tongue at him for effects it's before the King came in.

After seeing that Kai was fine, he left and Kai and I watched a movie. I stayed in the chair just in case. When it was lunch time, I went and got him some soup which I knew would make him happy. After he finished his lunch, he motioned for me to come over. “Melly, I think my fever is back.”

“Oh no. Let me check.” I walked over to where he was and bent down to feel his forehead. Suddenly I was grabbed at the waist and pulled on top of him. “Kai! What are you doing?”

“You said I couldn't get up from bed. So I brought you over here.” He said with a wink.

“Fine.” I said rolling my eyes at his cuteness.

“You know one thing that about being sick? I haven't gotten to kiss my girlfriend in days.” He started to pout, begging me to oblige.

“Well you aren't contagious anymore… But what if I have it and we don't know it yet?” I asked with a devious smile.

“That's a chance I'm willing to take. Kiss me. Please?” I couldn't stand his cuteness anymore and decided one small kiss couldn't hurt. The moment our lips touched, he smiled and rolled us over, so that he could be in control.

After a few moments I pushed him away slightly. As soon as he left my lips, he started kissing my neck. “Kai… You're supposed to be resting.” I said with a giggle. 

“I rested yesterday.” He said moving down to my soft spot.

“You're going to use up all of your energy.” I said trying not to think about the pleasure I was feeling from all this attention. 

He softly bit me just above my collarbone and I lost control. I guided his lips back up to mine and started making out with him. He smirked as I ran my fingers through his hair. His hand slid down to my waist and I held on to him tighter, making him smile.

“Kim Jongin! What is the meaning of this?” His father yelled. Immediately we froze in mid kiss. Kai and I turned our heads towards the door and saw one very furious King and one very shocked Queen standing there. Kai looked back at me with wide eyes and I could only bite my lip and stare back. “You two. Downstairs. Now.” The King yelled louder. Slowly, Kai and I got up and followed the King.

We went into the throne room and the Queen sat down. The three of us remained standing and his father wasted no time. “What on Earth do you think you were doing?” He roared.

“Dad-” Kai started.

“Don't you Dad me! Jongin! A servant really? How long has this little fling been going on?” The King yelled.

“It's not a little-” Kai attempted to speak but he was cut off again.

“Silence! I'm not finished! A servant! A servant! Honey can you believe it? We had hopes for you Jongin. Big hopes. Kingdom mergers and secured trade, and you throw that away for what? A servant. And not just any servant you had to go for the one who begged us to work here!” The King was definitely furious because even from where I was standing I could see his nostrils flaring.

“Dad, please listen to me. I can explain.” Kai said softly. 

“I don't want you to explain! I want to know why you want to throw away your future! And you,” He said turning to me. “You think you can weasel your way in here and get the throne? You have another thing coming! I won't allow you to manipulate my son or my family anymore!” His words stung and my heart started to hurt but I stayed quiet. “What? Now that you've been caught, you're too afraid to speak? Ha!”

“Your Highness…” I tried speaking as well but got nowhere.

“No. You don't get to speak. Is she the reason you didn't start dating Sarah? Sarah was perfect. A princess with standards. Beautiful, kind, intelligent. Everything a young prince would want. But you threw that chance out the window!” The King yelled pausing to breathe. “Guards! Take this person to the dungeon.” 

Immediately, I was grabbed on both sides by a guard. They were about to take me when Kai spoke up. “You leave her here. That is an order.” He said in a serious tone. The guards looked at the King and then back at Kai. “You heard me. Leave her here.” The King opened his mouth to speak but Kai cut him off. “I can't believe you. I find someone who makes me happy and what do you do? You look at status. You look at what you can gain from it. Well this relationship isn't about you. It's about me and her. Now you either tell the guards to release her or I'm walking out of here and taking her with me.” The King’s eyes widened but he motioned for me to be let go. “Good choice. You know what else is a good choice? Melody. If you think Sarah is everything a prince could want, you clearly don't know the amazing woman standing before you. She's not only beautiful, but she's smart. She's funny. She cares about people. She cares about your son.” Kai stopped to let the King answer but he was speechless. “As for calling it “a little fling”, that's wrong. I'm in love with her. I have been since the moment we met. And believe it or not, I asked her to be my girlfriend and she said yes.” He grabbed my hand and stood beside me, waiting for what would come next.

“You mean you're dating?” The King asked.

“Yes. We are.” Kai said seriously.

“How long has this been going on?” The King asked still trying to comprehend everything.

“I just asked her a few days ago but we've been together secretly practically since she got here.” Kai squeezed my hand and gave me a small smile.

“Your Highness may I say something?” I asked politely.

“You seem to have no problem doing other things around here so go ahead.” As the King said this, the Queen shot him a nasty look. 

“Your Highness, I promise you that my intention when I came here wasn't to find a way to your throne. We truly did and still do need the money. I came to find a job working for people I knew would be honest and good, but once I saw him again, I couldn't help but let things run their course. He's the most wonderful man I've ever met, and I know he's going to be an even more amazing King one day. If this doesn't last long enough for me to see that day with him, I'll still be supporting him from wherever I go.” My eyes tried to tear up but I stood strong and waited for the King to respond.

He took in a deep breath and sighed. “Jongin is this what you want?”

Kai looked at me and then looked back at his dad. “She's what I want.”

The King sighed once more. “I should have known. No one just offers to take care of someone like that when they're sick. So I take it this is why you've been acting different?”

 Kai nodded. “I wanted to tell you, but I knew that this is how you would respond. I tried to tell you before Sarah ever came, but you didn't want to hear about my 'mystery girl.'"

“Oh!” The Queen gasped. “This is her?!! You looked beautiful that night! Oh I saw the way he looked at you and I knew he was in love. And to get him to start the first dance! What an accomplishment!”

I blushed and looked over at Kai who was smiling. “I'd do anything if it let me be with her. Even defy you Dad.”

The King sighed once more. “How would we make this work? She can't work for you and date you at the same time. It would just look weird.”

“Then let me assist you, your Highness. That way you can find out more about me and evaluate my performance.” I said with a hopeful smile.

“I could use an assistant. We could start after Catherine leaves. I'm sure she could still use you… I'm still not totally on board with this though.” The King said sternly.

“Oh honey! They're kids. They're in love and she's obviously good for him. Look at how she makes him smile. I've never seen him this happy. Remember when we were this young?” She asked grabbing his hand and it softly with her thumb. 

“Yes. I remember. I wasn't big on dancing either.” He said with a small smile. 

“But you did it for me.” She said beaming. “I say you leave them alone. Let them be together and enjoy themselves. If it's true love, then we will welcome her in as a part of the family. If it's not, we will have learned more about her. It's a win win. It's obvious he's crazy about her.” 

“Ok… You're right. He's old enough to make his own decisions. Even if it's not what I had wanted for him originally.” The King said with a smile. 

“You only want for him what I do. The very best.” She said looking back at us encouragingly. 

“And she's the very best for me Dad. She makes me want to be a better man, yet she loves me despite my flaws. You saw how she took care of me yesterday. She's a complete angel.” He said staring at me dreamily. 

“Who am I to stand in the way of an angel?” The King said rolling his eyes. “You can date her. But I want to know first if you ever have any more secret girlfriends.”

“I think this is my last one.” He said winking at me. Immediately I blushed and looked back at the King.

“Well then this is cause for a celebration. At least a small one. I think tonight we should have dinner and invite Melody as our guest. That way we can get to know you better.” The Queen said with a smile. The King nodded, I curtsied, and Kai and I left the room. 

We walked outside to get some fresh air. Once we got out there, Kai stopped us. “We did it!” He said as he picked me up, twirled me around, and brought me down, kissing me passionately. I chuckled and pulled him in closer, kissing him harder. “They know. Your parents know. No more secrets. No more lies.” He ran his hands through his hair in disbelief. He looked at me and all he could do was smile. “Now to announce it to the world.”