Chapter 15: Displaced

Yes, Your Highness

The news from the doctor wasn't at all what I expected. I'd dislocated my shoulder and I was supposed to keep it in a sling at all times to keep it from getting worse, but I can't do that at the castle. The doctor popped it back into place and told me that rest was important. I had it set in my mind that I'd work through the pain and rest at night. The doctor gave me my instructions and made a follow up appointment for a few weeks later to check on my healing. I decided to go downstairs to see if the four of them had come back from their date. I looked out the window and saw them pulling up. 

I watched them all laughing as they walked up and realized that I really don't fit in with them. I think this week will make me realize that more than anything. I am a servant and these are the people I am to serve. I don't get the joy of living in this type of world. I need to learn my place. 

As they came up I curtsied and was told by Sarah to get the bags out of the car. She walked right on by and Kai followed her. Sehun and Catherine stayed back. "Are you okay? What did the doctor say?" Catherine asked following me out to the car. 

"It's nothing big. Please don't worry about me, your Highness. Which bags are to be delivered to your room?" I asked grabbing things out of the car.

"Melody, what's wrong?" Sehun asked picking up on my change.

"Nothing, your Highness." I said walking back to the castle doors and going inside.

"She isn't acting right..." Catherine said worriedly.

"I wonder what's up." Sehun said staring at the door.

"We've got to figure it out. I..." Her voice trailed off. "Do you think that you and I can work together this week and put aside our past for a little?" Catherine asked extending him a hand as a truce.

He took it and nodded. "We can talk about us later." Sehun said shaking her hand.

I came back out to the car and they just stared at me. "Yes? Do you need assistance, your Highnesses?" I asked grabbing the last bags.

"No. No that is all. Thank you." Catherine said.

I nodded and went back inside. After I dropped the last bags off at Catherine's room, my shoulder felt like it was on fire. I needed to put it up in the sling, but right now I had no time. I walked out to one of the balconies where I saw Sarah and Kai talking.

"Oh Jongin, thank you for buying me all of my new clothes!" Sarah gushed.

"You're welcome." Kai said looking out over the balcony.

"Sweetie, why have you been acting so weird today? I thought you'd be happy to have me here." She whined.

He turned to look at her. "It's not that! I promise. It's just..." Kai scrambled to find a reason. 

"You didn't sleep well last night, your Highness. Isn't that correct?" I asked.

"Oh yes. I didn't sleep well at all. I suppose I was just too anxious about your arrival." Kai said rubbing the back of his neck.

"Oh how cute! There's no reason to be nervous around me." She took a step closer to him. "I'm not as dangerous as I look." She said wrapping an arm around his neck.

The pain from my shoulder and the pain of watching of them was too much. Simply too much. She's too close. She's much too close. I decided I'd interrupt before she got any closer! "Do either of you need anything?" I asked with a curtesy. 

Sarah shot me a death glare and backed off of him. "No. I don't need anything from you. Why don't you go make sure my dress for tonight is perfect? I don't know where Ginny is and it needs to be wrinkless. Jongin and I are going on a fancy double date to this amazing restaurant he keeps telling me about." She said staring at Kai.

Kai nodded and said, "Yes. The dress should be taken care of. I know how much Sarah loves her outfits." He said squeezing her hand. She started giggling and that's when I left. 

As soon as I got back inside, I saw Ginny and asked her to check on the dress for me. She obliged of course and I went up to my room. I put on my sling and took some medicine waiting for the pain to subside. The medicine was helping my shoulder but nothing could help my heart. I looked over at Kaikai on my bed and I knew I needed someone to talk to.

I climbed on my bed and held him with my good arm as I looked up at the ceiling. "Kaikai, I'm good enough for you right?" I felt my tears start to well up in my eyes. "We can be best friends?" I asked as I decided to let it all out. I cried until I couldn't cry anymore. It feels like she's stolen everything from me. She stole my Kai and she's basically stolen my best friend. Well, it's not official yet but I can see it. They can date princes together, spend lots of money together, get ready for balls together, and have tea parties together. I bet that by the end of this week, they'll even be planning a wedding together. 

Whether I like it or not, I don't think there's room for me here. I could resign and go home. There's a part of me that would love to be home right now. I miss my mom, my dad, and especially my little sister. I hope she's feeling better and that the doctor took care of her. I'd write a letter but I know it will take a few days to get there. I can't call because we have no phone. I just hope they know that I'm going through all this just for them. My family is the reason I came and my family is the reason I'm going to have to force myself to stay.

When I woke up, I realized that I had overslept. It was already the middle of dinner and I'm sure my absence was noted. Quickly I took off the sling and ran down to the dining room. Everyone was there having dinner and Sarah was the first to notice me.

"Oh look at that. A servant is late. In my kingdom, if a servant is late to where they should be, they don't get dinner. What do you all do here?" She asked.

"Nothing. There's nothing wrong with being late every now and then." Kai said.

"Tsk tsk. Well, I will make sure that gets changed when I become the Queen. I'll make sure that order is restored in this castle." Sarah said taking another bite of her dinner. 

The King and Queen gave her a small smile. "Well if that's how it is in your castle, we can try to implement it here. Melody, no dinner. Please leave our presence and go make sure that Sarah's room is ready for her when she wishes to return to it." The King said. 

"Yes, your Highness." I said with a curtesy. 

I turned to leave when I heard Catherine speak up. "Uncle, Melody was doing errands for me. That is why she was late. Should she really be penalized for doing something I asked?" Catherine said looking towards the King.

"Well if that's what she was doing, then no she shouldn't. Melody you may stay and eat." The King said.

"Wavering on your word sir? Is this how you normally make decisions?" Sarah asked. 

The King looked at me and then back to Sarah. Then he looked down at his plate. When he looked back up, he spoke. "No. I do not waver on decisions. My first word goes. Late is late." The King said going back to his plate.

The Queen opened to protest when Sarah interrupted her. "My mother never questions my father. She supports his decisions. That's why we are so successful in our kingdom." Sarah said. The Queen then looked down at her plate and said nothing. 

"Mom. Dad. Tell me you aren't going to stand for-" Kai said trying to stand up for me.

"Jongin." The King said coldly. Kai knew it was time for him to be quiet and said nothing more. "Melody. You've been given your orders."

I nodded and said "Yes, your Highness." I went up to Sarah's room and made sure that it was perfect. I fluffed the pillows and turned down her bed. As I looked out her window, I saw Ginny and Tae walking around the castle grounds and I couldn't help but have a sense of longing. I wanted to be able to do that. It must be nice to walk around with the person you like and spend time with them where everyone could see. But I don't get that luxury I suppose.

I walked out of her room and then back down to the dining room. Everyone was gone and the dishes were cleared. I had no assignments and I couldn't find the royals anywhere. I decided to go into the kitchen to see if there was any need for me, but there wasn't. I was about to leave when Onew, the cook friend of Kai's spoke.

"Melody?" He asked.

"Yes?" I said turning around.

"I saved you something to eat if you'd like it." He said smiling at me.

"Oh that's so sweet of you, but a punishment is a punishment. I'd hate to cheat my way out of it. I'm fine. Thank you though!" I said leaving the kitchen.

I decided to then go outside and take a walk. I walked all around the castle and still ran into no one. As I was getting ready to enter the castle, I was pulled back by someone.

"Melody, are you okay?" Kai asked staring at me.

"Your highness, what are you doing out here? Shouldn't you be with Princess Sarah?" I asked trying to avoid his eyes.

"She's with Catherine, trying on their new outfits. But right now I'm talking about you. What did the doctor say? Are you hungry? Are you in pain?" He asked concerningly.

"Your highness, it's nothing really. Please don't worry about me and punishment is punishment. I take what I deserve." I said looking to the side.

"Melody look at me. Stop this and answer me." He said more sternly. I refused to speak and he forced my head to turn towards him. I shut my eyes tightly so I wouldn't look at him. "Baby, look at me." He said pleadingly.

"I'm not your baby. I don't want you to call me that. Sarah would be appalled." I said squeezing my eyes tighter. 

"Melody. Is this about her again? You know how I feel about her." Kai said. "How many times do I have to tell you..." 

I put my hand up to stop him. "This isn't about her actually. It's about the fact that I don't belong here. At least I don't belong in your or Catherine's life as anything more than a servant. You can date Sarah and she can be Catherine's best friend. It all works out perfectly and you can all be royal together. Sarah's already got the ordering me around part down."

I expected him to say something but I heard no noise. I opened my eyes and saw him looking at my with a sad expression. As soon as our eyes met, he grabbed me and pulled me close to him. He hugged me tightly and then said, "How could you ever think you don't belong?" He asked. 

"I'm easily replaced, your Highness." I said quietly. 

He pulled away from me but kept his arms around me. "Never. Ever. Believe that you are going to be replaced. Catherine is your best friend and you're hers. That's not changing." He paused a minute to take in a deep breath. "And you're the woman I love and nothing's going to change that either." We looked into each other's eyes and I wanted to believe him, but too much was working against me. 

I found courage to speak what I was thinking. "Kai... I want to believe you but-" I said trying to get my words together. The moment I paused, his lips pressed against mine forcefully. I tried not to kiss him back but the urge was too great. I gave in and kissed him back. 

"Do you believe me yet?" He asked breathlessly.

"I-" I tried speaking but I was cut off again. I wrapped my good arm around him and he deepened the kiss, making my heart stop. Then the kiss got softer and softer, until our lips were barely touching. 

"Do you believe me yet?" He whispered separating his lips from mine. I nodded and he pecked my lips. "Good." He brushed a strand of hair from my face and said, "So what did the doctor say?"

"I dislocated my..." 

"Melody!" I heard a voice call from the distance. I looked around and saw nothing. "I dislocated my..." I tried continuing but heard it again. "Melody!" The noise got closer and closer. "Melody!" 

Then I woke up. I looked at the clock and saw that it was almost time for dinner...