Chapter 2: The Castle

Yes, Your Highness

The walk to the castle was a pretty long one, but I knew I would be there by noon. The marketplace served as a halfway point and I decided to stop there and rest for a moment. I sat on a bench and looked around at all the vendors. My eyes stopped when I saw the baker. My heart immediately began beating fast as the memories of yesterday flooded my mind. 

Don't worry, beautiful. I've got it covered.

The sweet taste of the cookie we shared.

The way he kissed my hand.

My name is Kai....

I blushed at my thoughts and I was almost positive people were staring. Suddenly, I saw the baker waving me over to his stall. I got up from my seat and walked over. The baker smiled and offered me one of today's chocolate chip cookies. I smiled, but had to politely decline.

"I love your cookies sir, but I have no money to buy one from you. They certainly do smell delicious though..." My voice began trailing off as the scent of chocolate wafted to my nose once more. 

The baker smiled once more and placed a cookie in my hand. "Yesterday, the young man you were with paid me much too much for your cookies. This one is on me." 

I graciously took the cookie and thanked him. I turned to walk away and I heard the baker call out, "You two make a lovely couple!" 

His words stopped me in my tracks. Us? A couple? I wish. I bet if Kai had heard the baker's statement he would laugh at the thought. He's too handsome to be with someone like me. 

I continued my walk and finally got to the castle gates made of iron that were at least 10 feet taller than me. There were two guards standing there. Both were in the royal guard's uniform and neither looked too friendly. 

"Stop there peasant. What is your business here?" The first guard asked.

I gave him a sweet smile and said, "I've come to speak with the King and Queen about seeking employment within the castle. For my family is very poor and my little sister's health is even worse." 

The first guard looked at the second guard and they nodded. Immediately, they opened the gates and allowed me inside. I looked back to see that the iron gates were quickly closed behind me. I took a deep breath and walked across the stone bridge to where the castle's wooden doors stood tightly shut. How would I get in? Do you knock on the door of a castle? Do you attempt to pry it open? I stood there perplexed at how exactly I was to enter when the door suddenly opened. Standing there was another royal guard. He motioned for me to come inside.

I went inside and the first thing I saw was a giant glass chandelier. Diamonds cascaded from each light and it reminded me of a weeping willow. The royal guard led me down a hall that I suppose led to the throne room. The carpets were all a deep burgundy and royal portraits decorated each wall. In between the portraits were wall to ceiling windows with tied back curtains. Outside the windows, I could see a magnificent rose garden with roses of every color. The hedges nearby were trimmed into statues of guards and a fountain sat in the middle of the roses. The view outside was as breathtaking as the view inside. The guard stopped me at the door to the throne room and told me to enter. 

Walking in, I was more nervous than anything. The throne room was huge and there were royal guards standing in front of the thrones ensuring the safety of those who sat on them. The King was muscular, tan, and had a scruffy dark beard. A golden jeweled crown sat upon his head and he wore a deep purple robe. The Queen seemed warm and motherly to me. She was thin and had gorgeous brown curly hair. Her crown was also golden and her dress was navy blue.

My heart beat sped up with each step I took. As I approached the thrones, I curtsied and waited to be addressed. The King spoke first.

“Hello young lady. What is your name?” The King asked in a stern voice.

 

“Hello, your majesty. My name is Melody. I live on the outskirts of your magnificent kingdom,” I replied afraid to look up or move from my position.

 

“Dear child, you may look up at us and stand.” The Queen said sweetly. I nodded and stood before them, waiting to be addressed once more.

 

“What have you come to see us about, Melody?” The King asked in a kind voice

 

“Sir, I’m here today to ask for employment here in your castle.” I said my voice unwavering.

 

The Queen smiled and said, “Whatever for dear? Usually most people do not wish to work in this environment.”

 

I nodded. “Yes ma’am. I know it would be hard work, but my family is very poor. We get by with what we have, but an illness has fallen upon my little sister. I’m afraid that if she does not get help soon, then she will die. We do what we can but with little to no money, we are unable to afford a doctor. I would use my wages that I earn so that her health may improve.” My voice began to crack and I knew that I was going to cry soon if I thought about my sister more.

 

The King and Queen became silent and then the King looked at the Queen. They began to converse with their eyes, which ended with both of them smiling. The Queen motioned for the King to speak and I awaited my fate.

 

“You may work here.” The King stated. I smiled and curtsied in front of them in thanks.

 

“Your first week’s wages shall be sent to your family today and a doctor will visit your sister. She will be well taken care of.” The Queen said with a smile. Tears flooded my eyes and I began to thank them both from where I stood. The Queen held up a hand and continued. “You will stay in the servant’s wing and have a room to yourself. Uniforms will be provided to you by tonight.”

 

I smiled and nodded. “Thank you very much. For everything. But may I ask, what will my job be?” I asked.

 

To my surprise, the King spoke up this time. “You will be one of the servants assigned to our son, Prince Jongin.” I nodded and the King went on. “Speaking of which, he will be here in any moment. You will address him in the same manner that you address us. Anything he wishes is to be your command.” I heard a click from behind me and the King said, “He is here.”

 

Immediately, I turned and curtsied to the figure that was approaching. “Hello, your Highness. I am both delighted and honored to serve you.” I looked up at the figure and stared into a pair of familiar eyes. “Kai?!”

 

A look of surprise and shock crossed both of our faces as we looked into each other’s eyes. Standing in front of me was none other than the man I had met yesterday. I blinked a few times to make sure I wasn’t hallucinating. Kai took one look at me and then looked to his parents.


“Do you two know each other?” The Queen asked.

 

Kai looked at me with pleading eyes begging me not to say anything about yesterday. I gave him a subtle nod and let him speak.

 

“She looks like someone I have seen before. Perhaps on our way through the town as I looked out the window.” He said with a shrug.

 

“She called you ‘Kai’. What is the meaning of that? Young lady, that is no way to address the prince you shall be serving.” The King said.

 

I curtsied in apology. “I’m quite sorry sir. I meant to say ‘Hi’, but I was so nervous to look at the Prince that it came out wrong.” I said with a smile.