Chapter 23: Welcome Home

Yes, Your Highness

The week home went by super fast. All I did really was help with a few household chores and relax with my family. Finally the day came for me to leave and return to the castle, but first I had to go to the doctor for my shoulder. 

As I was hugging everyone goodbye, Layla had a request. "Melly! Can I come stay the night just once? Please?" She asked batting her eyes. 

"We will see. I'll ask." I said kissing her cheek. 

"I can see Taemoon too. Right?" She asked with a giggle. 

I nodded and she burst into giggles. I said goodbye to my parents and began my journey. I stopped at the doctor and he said my shoulder had healed nicely and that I just needed to rest it a bit more, but that I didn't have to wear the sling, which was good news for me. It's hard only using one arm. As I approached the castle, one of the guards greeted me warmly. 

"Melody you're back!" He said.

"Yeah, I'm back for awhile." I said with a smile. 

"Who's this?" Said the other. 

"You don't know Melody?" The guard I knew responded.

"No. What's your business here?" He asked directing the question to me. 

"I work here." I said.

"I've never seen you before." He said stoically.

"She's the personal assistant to the royal family." Said the guard I know.

Immediately the tough guy dropped his act. "Oh. I'm sorry ma'am. Just doing my job." He said opening the gate for me. I gave him a smile and then went in. On my way up to the front door I started laughing. It has been quite awhile since anyone had called me ma'am. Entering into the castle was like entering my house. I decided that I should just go up to my room to put my stuff down before saying hi to everyone. 

As I walked in, my room was covered in roses. Roses of every color and size in multiple vases were placed all around the room. My bed was even covered in rose petals. My jaw dropped as I took it all in. I put my stuff down and just stood there in complete awe of how beautiful it all was.

"Welcome home." A voice said behind me. I turned around and saw Kai standing in the doorway.

"Did you.... Is all this for me?" I asked.

He nodded and took a step inside. "Do you like it?" He asked sheepishly. 

"I... They're beautiful... It's gorgeous... Why... Thank you!"  I managed to stammer out before tackling him with a hug. 

"You're welcome." He said with a laugh. He wrapped his arms around me and held me tightly. "I missed you." 

"I missed you too." I said smiling up at him. "But I didn't expect all this." 

"Can't a guy surprise the girl he loves with flowers?" He asked poutingly.

"You can surprise me any time." I said with a giggle.

"You can surprise me too." Sehun called from the door. I looked behind Kai and saw Sehun and Catherine standing there. 

"Yeah. I'll take any surprise you want to give me." Catherine said with a wink. I looked at Kai and smiled. Knowingly, he let me go and I went over to them. I hugged them both and Catherine said, "Thank goodness you're back. Things haven't been the same without you!" 

"Yeah, Kai's been moodier than ever without you here." Sehun added. 

I turned to look over at Kai and he was slightly blushing. "It wasn't that bad." He scoffed.

"Oh it wasn't?" Catherine asked. "'Hey Sehun. Do you think she misses me?' Or 'If she were here, she'd be nice to me.'" Catherine said sticking out her tongue.  

Kai opened up his mouth to protest but Sehun cut him off. "'Has anyone heard from her lately?' And my favorite: 'Melody, Melody. Wherefore art thou, Melody?" Sehun and Catherine began laughing and I couldn't help but smile. Kai blushed even harder.

"Wait a minute!" I said stopping their laughter. "You guys were mean to my Kaikai?" Immediately I saw Kai smile and I knew I had done him a favor.

"Really? You hear those sweet things and you only hear that we were mean?" Catherine asked rolling her eyes. 

"Come on Cat." Sehun said. "We should probably give them some time to be alone." He said with a wink. 

"But we weren't actually mean to him." Catherine said as she walked out. 

"I know we weren't and she knows it." I heard Sehun say as he followed her. 

I went over to the door and closed it, happy to have a little privacy. Kai was quiet and I wasn't sure where this was going. I bit my lip and turned around to see him unloading my suitcase. "Kai, what are you doing?" I said watching him.  

"If you're unpacked, the less likely you are to leave anytime soon." He said with a small smile. 

I went over to wear he was and took my stuff out of his hands. Then, I placed it on the bed and looked back at him. "I'm not leaving." I said wrapping my arms around his neck. "Thank you, but you don't have to do this." 

He put his arms around my waist and sighed. "Fine. I won't help you." He said with a huff. 

"You're adorable." I said laying my head against his chest. 

"You're the adorable one." He whispered. I blushed but didn't say anything. We stood like that for a minute before he spoke. "I love holding you." He said with a sigh. 

"I love being held by you." I said looking up at him. When our eyes met, I saw a new level of vulnerability in him that I hadn't seen before. It was like all of his pure confidence had melted away, leaving his heart exposed. 

"Kai." I whispered. 

"Yes?" He responded nervously. 

"You don't have to be so nervous around me." I said running my fingers lightly through his hair. 

He smiled a little and said, "Easier said than done." Slowly he brought his hand up to the back of my neck and then kissed me softly.

I smiled and kissed him back. "Still nervous?" I asked raising an eyebrow. 

"Nope." He said before crashing his lips onto mine. 

The rest of the day back at the castle was filled with hanging out with Catherine, Sehun, Taemin, and Kai. We all stayed up late talking in the library by the fire and Kai and I were the last to go to bed.

 

After they left, I scooted closer to Kai on the couch and laid my head on his shoulder. I was ready for him to ask me any moment and I was surprised when he was just silent. After a few minutes, I sighed. I looked up at him and he still didn’t say anything. He didn’t even look down at me. Worriedly, I waved a hand in front of his face. “Kai?” I asked. “Yoo-hoo!”

Immediately, he shook his head and looked down at me. “Yes?” He said with a smile.

“You weren’t saying anything. Is something wrong?” I asked. “Am I being too close or too clingy?” I quickly moved over to the other side of the couch and looked away.

He chuckled and then laid down so that his head was in my lap. “No. Nothing is wrong. This is absolutely perfect.” He said staring up at me.

I smiled a little and began playing with his hair. “What were you thinking about?” I asked.

He sighed. “I have a busy schedule this week and I’m hardly going to be able to see you.” He said sadly.

“That’s okay. You can see me later on this week.” I said smiling at him.

He smiled and said, “Ok. Would you like to go to lunch with me on Friday?” He asked nervously. Was he asking me on a date? Where would we go? Who would see us? Why? All of these questions I wanted answered but all I could do was say yes. “Perfect.” He said smiling wider. “I love it when you run your fingers through my hair.” He said closing his eyes. I laughed softly and continued. I grabbed the blanket above us and covered him up. I softly played with his hair and I hummed a made-up tune. He sighed and before I knew it, he was asleep. I watched as the firelight flickered across his face and I’d never seen him so peaceful. He looked totally content for once. No evidence of any sadness or stress. I gently leaned down and kissed his forehead, making sure I didn’t wake him.

“I love you Kai,” I whispered and soon I dozed off myself.

I woke up as the grandfather clock in the corner chimed 2 and I looked down at Kai. He was still sleeping and I didn’t want to wake him. His soft snoring sounded so cute in the quiet of the library, but I knew that we needed to go to bed. I leaned down and brushed my lips against his. “Good morning.” I whispered.

I sat back up and watched as he started to wake up. His eyes fluttered open and all he could do was smile. “Good morning.” He said with a yawn.

“It’s time to go to bed, Kai.” I said staring into his sleepy brown eyes.

He yawned and said, “But I don’t want to move.”

“Why not?” I said with a giggle.

“I’m too comfortable.” He said yawning once more.

“You’ve got to get up, honey.” I said kissing his nose.

“Kiss me again and I’ll consider it.” He said with a wink.

“How about you get up and I’ll kiss you?” I said argumentatively.

“You ma’am drive a hard bargain.” He said getting up quickly.

I laughed and got up as well. I wrapped my arms around his neck and pecked his lips. “There you go.” I said with a smirk. I started to walk away when he grabbed my hand and pulled me back to him.

“I deserve more than that.” He said raising an eyebrow. I kissed him again but only for a moment longer. I pulled back and immediately he pulled me back in. He dipped me, never breaking the seal our lips made. When our lips parted, I was stunned. Slowly, he brought me back up.

“Now that’s a kiss.” I said giggling.

“Eh, that one was ok. How about this one?” He said as he pinned me between his body and the wall. He forcefully French kissed me and afterward I was completely frozen. Seeing my stunned look, he smiled. “Now that’s a kiss.”

“I… I… That…” I tried to speak but all that came out was a giggle.

“Oh good. I haven’t lost my touch.” He said with a smirk.

“I… Um….” I still couldn’t speak. I could barely even try to get out a syllable.

 

He laughed and then folded the blanket he had used. I was still up against the wall unable to move. Every time I tried, I could feel his body against mine and his lips all over mine. He looked over at me and just smiled. “You alright?” He asked leaning on the wall beside me.

 

“I… Am… Just…. Fine….” I said slowly. Words. Difficult.

 

“Can you move?” He whispered in my ear before kissing my neck gently.

 

I shook my head ‘no’ slightly and he just smiled. He picked me up in his arms and carried me up to my room.

 

He laid me on my bed and covered me with a blanket. He laid down beside me and wrapped an arm around my shoulders. Finally, I tried speaking. “Wow…” I said with a sigh. “You’re right. The two don’t compare.” I said with a giggle.

 

“Well guess what, baby?” He asked. “There’s a whole lot more where that came from.” He said with a wink.

 

I giggled and cuddled up to him. We stayed there for a few minutes when I thought I should ask him a question. “Do you still plan on asking me?” I asked quietly.

 

“What do you think?” He responded making sure our eyes connected.

 

“I think....” I started off but I knew the answer. “I know you’ll ask me when the timing is right.” I said nervously. “I just didn’t want you to forget.”

 

“Baby, there’s no way I’m going to forget. I’ve been waiting for that moment for quite awhile. I’m finally going to have you all to myself and everyone will know.” He said kissing my forehead. “And then, you and I…” He paused to kiss me softly. “Can start putting more thought into our future.” He said smiling.

 

“Our- Our future?” I stuttered.

 

“Mm-hmm.” He nodded and kissed my forehead. “I’ll see you in the morning baby.” He paused and then said “I hope.” Then he kissed my lips before getting up to leave. He paused in the doorway and turned to look back at me. “I love you, Mel.” He said with a hopeful smile.

“I love you too, Kaikai.” I said smiling back at him. He turned my light off and then left. My thoughts began to race. When would be the right time? What about our future? How far does he want this to go? He loves me, but does he actually love me that much? A part of me wanted to run after him and just tell him that I want to be his girlfriend right now. To forget asking me. And another part was curious as to how he would do it. Patience. I need to be patient with him. He will ask me and we will be together. And then, we can think about our future.