Chapter 30: Dinner with the King and Queen

Yes, Your Highness

“We can tell the world later. You need to rest.” I said grabbing his hand. I began walking towards the castle and he followed.

“But I want to tell everyone. And go on dates in public! And kiss you in public. And let everyone know…” He chattered excitedly all the way up to his room. He laid down on his bed still discussing the plans he wanted to make. “Bowling. Skating. Romantic dinners. Let's go!”

“Haha. No. You are resting. After you rest we have dinner with your parents.” I said sternly.

“But… I rested yesterday.” He pouted. “Will you come lay with me?” I smiled and obliged. I laid my head on his chest and he sighed. “This is one of the happiest days of my whole life.”

“What about the day I said yes?” I asked wrapping an arm around him.

“That was also one of the happiest days of my whole life.” He said before kissing me softly. “Every day with you is a happy day for me.” He kissed me once more and then closed his eyes finally relaxing. 

“What if they don't like me?” I asked as I started getting nervous about dinner. “What if they don't think I'm good enough?”

“Baby, they're going to love you.” He said with a yawn. “You got me to love you in less than a minute. My parents will be easy.” 

I nodded and we both fell asleep. When I woke up, I went to my room to get ready. I searched through my closet to find my best outfit and hurried to get ready so that everything would be perfect. I took one last look at the mirror and realized I hadn't put my necklace on since coming home. I picked it up delicately and put it on. I took in a deep breath and left my room. I walked to where Kai’s room was hoping he was still in there. I knocked on the door nervously and he opened it up. He was in jeans and a t shirt. I bet he didn't think twice about what he was wearing. The walk down to the dining room was long. I was scared out of my mind. 

When we came in, his parents were already seated. They smiled at me and I sat down. Dinner conversation was light and centered around little things. What I liked to do for fun, how many siblings I had, what my home was like. Easy things. I eventually lightened up and started having a good time. After dinner was over, we went into one of their parlors and had dessert. I thought I was safe , but they had other plans.

“So,” the King started, “how exactly did the two of you meet?”

“Oh you don't want to hear that story.” I laughed.

“Of course we do dear!” The Queen said encouragingly.

I looked over at Kai who was sitting beside me and he squeezed my hand. “Well… I went to the market to take some of our goods to sell. We have a vegetable garden and also make some homemade things for income. So I went and after a long morning of selling, I went over to my favorite place, the bakery. The baker had just set out a plate of delicious chocolate chip cookies. Sadly I hadn't had breakfast so as soon as I smelt them my stomach started grumbling. Then I hear this laugh come from out of the blue and when I looked up, it was your son. He paid for my cookie sweetly and right after we exchanged names he had to leave. Even though it was a brief meeting, it was one of the most memorable days of my life.” I smiled and looked over at Kai who was staring at me happily. 

“I'll never forget it either.” Kai said happily. 

“So when was your first kiss?” The Queen asked.

Immediately I blushed and looked down. Thankfully Kai spoke up. “The day after she came here. The day before Sehun and Catherine showed up. I took her to the lake.”

“Ooh! The lake! Was it a good first kiss?” The Queen asked excitedly. I blushed even more so and kept looking down. I nodded quickly and Kai just laughed. He tilted my head up to look at him and I bit my lip.

“It was perfect. Though the first time I kissed her she was so surprised I had to kiss her again.” He said with a wink. “Now every time I go there, I have to take her with me.” He winked once more and I just shook my head. 

“That's very romantic of you son. I've taught you well.” The King said as he took a sip of coffee. “Melody, I just realized we don't even know your last name.”

“Zhang, your Highness.” As soon as I spoke, the King’s eyes grew wide.

“I'm sorry. Did you say ‘Zhang’?” He stuttered.

“Yes. Is there a problem?” I asked anxiously.

“No. No problem.” The King said with a nervous laugh. He immediately then got up and spoke quietly to a servant who quickly left the room. “You just don't hear that name all that often.”

“Um yes sir. I hardly know anything of my father’s family. My grandfather just passed recently so I never really got around to asking.” I took another drink of my coffee and felt Kai wrap his arm around me. He'd been so supportive during the funeral activities and I hadn't even been able to thank him correctly yet. I gave him a small smile and he gave me a light kiss on the cheek.

“Well I for one think this is wonderful. The two of you look adorable together. And you're very sweet. I think you're just the kind of girl Jongin needs.” The Queen smiled and looked towards the King for his opinion.

“I agree. You're very well mannered and kind. You could have fooled me into thinking you were an actual princess. And you seem to generally love him, which is hard to find these days with some people. Most young ladies we talk to about Jongin only talk about themselves and how perfect they are. You haven't said anything like that this evening. Thank you. It's quite refreshing.” The King smiled and sat back down.

“I could never do such a thing… I don't even think--” Before I could say anything else I was quickly cut off.

“Mel. We talked about this.” Kai pushed a piece a hair out of my face and continued. “You are perfect just the way you are.”

I smiled and conversation went on. About 30 minutes later though, a servant came in announcing that we had a visitor. To my surprise Prince Yixing walked in with his father. 
“Melody, may I introduce you to his Highness King Zhang and his son Prince Yixing.”

“Zhang? We have the same last name. How odd. Nice to meet you.” I said with a smile.

“Actually Melody, it's not as odd as you think.” King Zhang said. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm sorry the chapter is so short but I hope you all are excited to find out what happens!