Chapter 20: I'm Sorry, Your Highness

Yes, Your Highness

I was about to say something else when Sehun came rushing in. “Guys I have Catherine’s present!” He said holding a little black fluff ball.

“What did you get her?” Kai asked.

“You mean you can’t tell? It’s a puppy!” He said smiling. He extended his arms and out from the fluff came 4 little feet and a cute little face. It had one red bow around its neck and a red bow by its ear. “She’s always wanted a Pomeranian.” He said.

“Oh my goodness! It’s so cute! Let me hold it!” I exclaimed reaching towards the puppy.

“Well that’s why I came in here. Can you watch her while I take a shower?” He asked giving me the puppy.

“Yes, of course.” I said happily.

“I’ve got to go too. Sarah and I have a date tonight.” He said sadly getting up.

“I’ll be here. I have nowhere to go.”  I said.

An hour later, they both came back. “20 minutes.” Sehun said looking at the clock anxiously. He then looked over at the clock and stared at his reflection making sure everything was fine. He dusted some lint off of his blue suit and then began fiddling with all the buttons making sure they were fastened.

I handed him the puppy and said, “It’s going to go fine. Why are you so nervous?” I said chuckling.

“Because…” He said straightening his tie. “It’s our anniversary. She’s going to want it to be perfect.” He picked up the puppy and straightened it’s bow as well. “And this gift is going to make it perfect.

I looked over at Kai. “You look nice.” I said smiling weakly. He was wearing a maroon shirt and slacks and quite honestly, I felt extremely jealous.

“Thank you.” He said smiling back. Sehun started pacing the floor and Kai made him sit down. “If you keep going at this rate, you’re going to make yourself sick.” Kai said. He nodded and we stayed in my room for the remaining time. When it was time to go downstairs, I came with them because I wanted to see her face.

Sehun planted himself at the bottom of the staircase and within minutes she emerged. She looked absolutely beautiful and I couldn’t wait for her surprise.

“Happy anniversary Catherine.” He said smiling.

“Happy anniversary Sehun.” She said kissing him on the cheek.

Before we go, I have something for you.” He looked over at me and I handed him the tiny box that we had put the puppy in.

She opened up the box and her whole face lit up. “Sehun! Oh my gosh! Look at how cute it is!” She said picking her up. “She’s beautiful!”  She said as she hugged it. “I’ve always wanted a puppy!”

“I know. Do you love it?” He asked.

“Of course I love it!” She exclaimed hugging him as tight as she could without squishing her puppy..

He extended his arm and then they left. Soon after Sarah came and took Kai away. I was left all alone in the castle with nothing to do. I decided to go up to my room and rest. No sooner did I get to my room then there was a knock on the door. “Come in!” I called, not knowing who it could be.

“Hey Mel,” Onew said peeking his head in. “You have a visitor.”

“A visitor? Me?” I asked raising a brow. Onew nodded and I got up. I went down the stairs towards the entrance of the castle. I rounded the corner and suddenly stopped in my tracks. It was my Father.

“Dad? What are you doing here?” I asked.

“Mel, something has happened.” He said quietly.

“Don’t tell me…” I said as my mind wandered to the last image of my little sister.

“Your sister is fine.” He said. I let out a relieved sigh and prepared myself for what was to come. “It’s your grandpa. He died today.” My whole body froze as I was overcome with shock. All I could do was blink. My grandpa was one of my best friends. I knew he had been sick recently but I didn’t know it was that bad. “The cancer was just too aggressive.” My father said as tears filled his eyes. I ran over to him and collapsed in his arms. The minute he wrapped his arms around me I cried. We stayed that way for at least 5 minutes and I finally was able to gather my composure.

“When’s the funeral?” i asked breathlessly.

“In 3 days. We want you to come home for it.” He said.

“Of course I’m coming home! I'll be right back. I’m just going to grab a few things.” I said. I ran up to my room and began gathering the few things I would need. I grabbed my medicine and a few changes of clothes. I looked around my room and saw Kaikai on my bed. I knew I couldn’t take him and taking my necklace would mean having to explain things to my parents. I kissed Kaikai goodbye and quickly wrote a note saying that I would be back in a few days. I left it and my necklace on the dresser and ran downstairs.

“Let’s go!” I said throwing the bag over my good shoulder.

“What happened to your arm?” Dad asked.

“Long story Dad. I’ll explain in the car. We need to get home now.” I said trying to rush out the door.

“Don’t you need to tell someone where you’re going?” He asked.

“No one is home. Everyone is on a date right now including the King and Queen. I left a note.” I said opening the door. Dad nodded and we left the castle. I turned back once to look at what I was leaving behind. Part of me hated myself for not telling them more in my note, but I was in a hurry. i blew a kiss to the window that led to Kai’s room. “I’m sorry, your Highness.” I said quietly as I got into the car.

The ride home felt long. I told Dad about my arm and some things about the castle and he filled me in on some of the stuff from home. I didn't tell him about Kai, Catherine, Sehun, or even Sarah. I knew that keeping them a secret was the right thing to do.

As soon as I got home, I ran inside and hugged my mother and sister. Their eyes were both red from crying. My mom looked tired and my sister looked scared. Eventually, I laid down with her to go to sleep as I had done every night I was home.

"Mel?" The tiny voice asked.

"Yes, Sweetie?" I responded as I her hair.

"Thanks for getting me a doctor. I feel a lot better." She said smiling at me.

"You're welcome. It's about time I see you smile." I said hugging her.

"Does this mean you can come home now? For good?" She asked.

Her words stopped my heart. I never even thought about her missing me. Before I left, we had spent every hour together. I sighed not really knowing what to say. Eventually I spoke. "Not just yet sweetheart. I want to get Mom and Dad and you new furniture and some nice things." I said softly.

"I don't need nice things! I need you!" She said with a wail. She started to cry and all I could do was rub her back.

"Baby, shh... I'm doing this for you. I'll be back soon I promise. Im staying for at least another week before I go again, okay?" I said.

Eventually she stopped crying and nodded. I continued rubbing her back until she went to sleep. As I was about to go to sleep, my thoughts began to wander back to the castle. Did they know I was gone? Did they get my note? Does Kai miss me? Would he still love me after this? All I could do was hope so. I drifted off to sleep praying that I hadn't messed it all up.

I woke up the next morning ready to face the day before me. We had the funeral and wake to plan and we had to clean the house for visitors that would come to visit.

As we starting my sister asked me a question. "So did you have to clean the castle like this every day?"

"No sweetheart." I said with a laugh. "Actually I was the personal assistant for some of the royals."

"Who?!" She asked with excitement.

"Well I was the assistant for the prince, the prince's cousin, and a visitor from another kingdom." I said while sweeping the floor.

"What did you have to do?" She asked.

What did I do? Thoughts flooded my mind the minute she finished asking. I didn't really do much of anything. I occasionally made beds, followed the people around, and I woke them up... "Well basically if they needed anything I was there. I kept track of their schedules too if they had anything planned." I said smiling.

"Oh wow. Was the prince cute?" She asked.

"I... Um... Yes. The prince was very... Attractive." I said trying to figure out how to explain it to her. "I even had a little crush on him." I said winking at her.

She stopped straightening up our bed and looked at me. "Does he like you?" She asked.

How on Earth do I tell her? She's like 6. She'd never understand. "Um. Well. Maybe? I mean he's way out of my league though. So our chances aren't that great." I said moving on to working on the kitchen area.

"You mean you're out of his league." She said with finality.

"What do you mean?" I asked, stopping to watch her.

"You're probably too good for him." She said nonchalantly.

Immediately, I went over to her and gave her a hug. "You're the best. Did you know that?" I said smiling at her.

"I know. I learned it from you." She said kissing me on the cheek and then going back to her chores.

I thought I might as well tell her some of the details. "Hey sweetie." I called.

"Yeah?" She asked.

"I kissed him." I said watching her jaw drop. "On the lips." got even wider. She blinked for a few and then ran over to me.

"You kissed him?" She asked all giggly. "Was he a good kisser?" I nodded and she squealed. "How many times??" She asked inquisitively.

"Can you keep a secret?" I asked. She nodded and I bent down to her level. "I lost count." I said with a wink. She began squealing some more and tried asking more questions but I wouldn't tell her anything more about it.

She went back to cleaning but had one more question. "Does he have a brother my age?" She asked.

"No honey. Sorry he's an only child." I said with a laugh.

"Aww, dang it." She said with a huff. "You have to go back and see him. I bet he misses you!"

I smiled sadly and looked out the window. Far off in the distance, I could see the clock tower in the marketplace where we had met and I wondered if he actually was missing me right now. All I knew was that right now, no matter how much I wished, I can't be with him.

That night, tons of our family came to visit. Several asked me about my job at the castle and thankfully my sister made no mention of Kai. It was a sad night filled with memories of life with our grandfather and I tried not to cry in front of her. That night as we laid down to go to sleep, she had some more questions for me. "Hey Mel, did you miss him today?" She asked grabbing hold of her stuffed animal to settle down. 
 
"Yeah, I really did." I said sadly.
 
"Has he ever bought you a present?" She asked rolling over to face me. 
 
I smiled thinking of my necklace and bear. Both of which were still back at the castle. "Yeah he did. He got me a bear and a necklace" I said smiling. 
 
"Where are they? You didn't bring them home." She said looking around the room.
 
"Nope. I left in a hurry so I just kept them in my room. I'll just hug yu all night instead." I said giving her a hug.
 
"Here." She said handing me her stuffed animal. "You can cuddle with mine until you can have yours back." She began yawning and I covered her up with a blanket.
 
"Thank you sweetheart." I whispered before kissing her cheek and turning out the light.