Chapter 7: The Teasing

Yes, Your Highness

Kai looked like a hurt puppy and looked down quickly . He quietly said, "Oh. I wasn’t aware that you two were close enough to have feelings like that."

“What you didn’t know? I really like everything about him. His hair is flawless and the way he works with the horses just makes a girl swoon. We hung out today after lunch, when you said you no longer wanted to see me. After that, I just knew. Lee Taemin, one day you will be mine!” I said with enthusiasm.

Kai kept looking down and eventually looked back at me. “Well we should probably get back then. People might be looking for us.”

“Wait!” I called as he started to walk away. “Do you think you can help me get with him? I just don’t know if I can even speak when in the presence of such a gorgeous creature.” I said while fluttering my eyelashes.

Kai looked hurt and said, “No. That wouldn’t be a good idea. In fact, that’s the complete opposite of what a good idea would be.” He began walking towards the path that led back to the castle.

I think I’ve played with him enough. It kills me to see him so upset. I didn’t want him to actually think that I had a thing for Taemin. I ran up to him and stood in front of him so he couldn’t walk any farther. “What? You want to talk about Taemin some more? Or maybe you want me to help plan your wedding?” He said with an angry and hurt voice.

I wrapped my arms around him and held him tightly. I wasn’t surprised when he didn’t respond. “No. I want to talk about you and how cute you are when you get jealous.” I whispered into his ear. I pulled away and looked at how surprised Kai’s face was. I leaned in to where our lips were almost touching and said, “I’m only teasing you, Kai. Obviously, you’re the one that I want.”

He pulled away from me and bit his lip poutingly. Then he said, “What about Taemin? His ‘flawless hair’ and ways to make girls swoon? What makes you think that I’m jealous?”

I smiled at him and shook my head. “Kai, he doesn’t even compare to you. There’s no contest. Even if I tried comparing the two of you, you’d win my heart everytime. And as for the jealousy thing, it’s so unusual for me to see that stunning face of yours look so mad yet hurt at the same time.”

Kai gave me a small smile and then pulled me in close. Quickly his smile turned into a smirk. “See Melody, two can play at this game.”  Then he closed the gap between us slowly making sure that the inevitable kiss was as prolonged as possible. Afterwards, he kissed my forehead sweetly and said, “I may be a prince, but when it comes to teasing, I’m the king.”

I giggled and was glad to hear that he wasn’t upset. He picked me up bridal style and started carrying me… over to the lake! The next thing I knew he had thrown me into the water! I went over to where he was standing by the edge of the lake. “Hi Kai.” I said with a cute smile. He waved at me and said hi back. I tackled him, making sure that we ended up in the water. I hurried away from him to try to escape

“You little…” Kai called as I was making my way out of the lake. Before I could even get close to where I could get out, a pair of strong arms had wrapped around me stopping me from leaving. “And where do you think you’re going gorgeous?” Kai said hugging me tighter and nuzzling his face into my neck..

I giggled and said, “Oh you know just getting out…” I faked a sneeze and continued. “I think I might be getting a cold from the temperature of this water.”

Kai turned me around, held me tight, and said, “Then let me warm you up.” He leaned down and started kissing me again, but this time was a little different. Instead of one long kiss, he left many small little kisses on my lips. Each kiss was too quick for me to respond. After standing the torture for a little bit longer, I wrapped one arm around his neck and kissed him deeply. He smirked at my dominance. I ran my fingers through his hair which made him take over and deepen the kiss. I ended our kiss by lightly biting his lip, which left him completely shocked.

I broke away from his embrace and got out of the lake. I turned around and watched as he stood there, still in the water. He brought his fingertips up to his lips and brushed them against the spot where I bit him. He slowly smiled and then looked over to where I was on shore. I winked at him and he touched his lips once more.

He quickly got out of the water and we started walking silently back to the castle. Both of us were repeating the events of the night in our head as we walked, and suddenly, I felt his hand grasp mine. He interlaced our fingers and brought my hand up to his lips. He sweetly kissed the back of my hand as we kept on walking. We were about to get back onto the castle’s property when Kai stopped us. I looked over at him questioningly, wondering what was up. “From this point on, we have to go back to the way things were. You understand that right? I can’t act the same way as I just did. They can’t know about us.” He said worriedly.

I gave him an understanding smile and said, “Of course I understand. As soon as we get there, you become “His Highness” and I, your lowly servant. Tonight can be our little secret that we share, just us.”

He stared into my eyes and said, “You are anything but lowly. I wish tonight would never end just so I could prove that to you..” He started to get nervous and he started rubbing the back of his neck. “Would you maybe want to come back to the lake with me sometime?” He asked anxiously.

I quickly pecked his lips and said, “I’ll come back with you any time. As long as I’m not busy working.”

Kai smiled and then said, “We have to work on you if you think that’s how you do a goodnight kiss.”

I laughed and replied with, “I didn’t know we were saying goodnight yet.”

He got closer to me and said, “Better we say it here. That way I can kiss you like I want to.” He placed his arms around me and kissed me goodnight. It wasn’t rushed or forceful. It was slow, long, and extremely soft. When our lips finally parted, he whispered, “Goodnight beautiful. I can’t wait for our next date.”

“Goodnight Kai.” I said softly. “Don’t make me wait too long.”

At that point, we walked back into the castle. Both of us were dripping wet and we had to hurry back to our rooms to get out of our wet clothes. Luckily, we hardly got any water on the carpet. I quickly took a shower and changed into my pajamas. I was thirsty and went down to the kitchen, where I was surprised to see Kai. He smiled at me and I offered to get him something to drink as well. “That will do nicely.” He said. Then he looked around quickly to see if anyone was around. I got both of us some water and was surprised when he put his arms around me. “Goodnight again, Melody.” And with that, he kissed me quickly on the cheek, took his water, and left.

I went to bed and couldn’t stop thinking about Kai. He liked me. He actually liked me. He even called me beautiful again. Tonight was perfect and I couldn’t wait until I could be in his arms again. I fell asleep hoping I’d dream about Kai.

*DREAM*
“Kai!” I said running into my boyfriend’s arms.

“Melody!” He said as he spun me around. “Oh I’ve missed you!” He put me down and then kissed me.

“How’s college?” I asked.

“It’s great! I miss you like crazy everyday though.” He said nuzzling his face into the crook of my neck.

I laughed and smiled. “Well now that you’re back, you’ll see me every single day.”

He smiled and held my hand as we walked to his house, which was located next to mine! We walked in and saw his mom cooking dinner and his dad reading the paper. “Mom! Dad! I’m home.” His parents greeted him warmly after not seeing their son for quite sometime during school. They offered for me to stay and have dinner and I obliged.

Dinner was filled with conversation about Kai and how school was going. His dad asked about his grades and his mom about his health. Kai asked us to catch him up on what he had missed while away and his mom let him on some family news and his father mentioned some local things that had happened. After dinner, Kai and I decided to go for a walk on the beach.

“Melody, I missed this. I missed holding your hand and being with you. Most of all, I think I missed that beautiful smile of yours.” He said with sparkling eyes.

“Trust me. I missed all of this too. Being away from you is unbearable. I love you Kai.” I said happily.

Kai turned to look at me and said, “I love you too.” He got down on one knee…

*END*

I woke up to my alarm and was barely able to catch my breath. What a dream. Kai and I actually dating? Not being royal? Living a normal life? Him saying ‘I love you’?! AND HE WAS ON ONE KNEE. Could he have been about to propose? Ha. Like that would ever happen, princes and servants do not date. We certainly don’t get married either. Maybe Kai and I could be together in a different world, but certainly not in this one. I sighed and started wondering if even giving Kai and I a shot would be worth it.

I got in the shower and got ready to meet Princess Catherine. Today was the day that she and Prince Sehun were due to arrive.

I walked into the dining room where I saw the royal family having breakfast. “Melody!” said the King. “Don’t forget that Princess Catherine is coming in an hour along with Prince Sehun. You are going to be her lady in waiting. You are to serve her in the same way that you did Prince Jongin.” 

I tensed up when I heard his name, but showed no sign of it.“Yes, your highness.” I said smiling at the King. I looked over at Kai and saw that his face was expressionless. He wouldn’t look at me and I knew exactly why. It was the same reason that I couldn’t be in the room with him unless I was having a conversation with someone. If our eyes met, there’s a good chance that something would slip in front of the King and Queen. They could never know about last night and they especially were never to know about ‘us’.

 I went into the kitchen and had breakfast alone. Then I stood at the bottom of the outside stairs to await Princess Catherine’s arrival with the royal family. A blue mercedes pulled up to the stairs and someone got out. He  was a tall man with blonde hair and brown eyes. He had a sharp jawline and was dressed very stylishly. One of the servants leaned over to me and told me that that was Prince Sehun, Prince Jongin’s best friend. I nodded and watched as Prince Sehun opened the passenger side door. The girl who came out was a little bit shorter than he was. She was skinny and beautiful. She had gorgeous long  brown wavy hair and she had blue eyes. 

The King was the first to speak once again. “Welcome back Sehun and Catherine. We are so excited to have you!” The royal family exchanged hugs with the visitors and I smiled when I saw Kai’s expression at seeing his best friend. He looked so happy and just knowing that something had taken his mind off me made me feel at ease.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Come on! You didn't actually think she liked Taemin right? I have other plans for him...